We will be making one more release in the 1.X series of EigenD, 1.4. This will
have no new features but will be a performance and stability release, along
with finally bringing the MacOS and Windows versions fully in line with each
other by completing the Tau and Alpha support on Windows 7, introducing full
headphone support for both. 1.4 will be the last release in the 1.X series of
EigenD.

It's been a long road from 1.0 and I'd like to take the opportunity to thank
all of you who have helped us improve and refine EigenD over the last two years
- your bug reports, suggestions and input have been vital.

From EigenD 2.0 onwards we will be introducing an annual subscription model for
EigenD which will cover all software updates to the base system, which includes
the Stage application. This will be charged at £90/yr or £49 for 6 months
(including VAT at 20%) and covers email suppport as well as software downloads
of the latest version of EigenD.

EigenD 2.0 is scheduled to contain a number of improvements and new features to
the current Eigend along with a considerable number of new bundled instruments
and effects. Subscription is by player, not instrument, so you will not need to
pay more than once if you own multiple models of Eigenharp.

Early subscribers will not have their one year period counted as beginning
until 2.0 enters stable release, but you will need to be a subscriber to gain
access to the early experimental and testing releases.

From 2.0 onwards we will also be introducing a new product, EigenD Pro, for
power users who wish to build and edit their own setups more easily. This
features EigenD, Stage and our new Workbench graphical application that allows
a user to build and customise their own setups quickly and easily. This will be
available by subscription in a similar way to the base EigenD and will cost
£249 a year or £139 for six months (including VAT at 20%). Customers who
purchase an annual EigenD Pro subscription during the period in which it is
classed as 'Experimental' will be able to do so for the discounted price of
£199 for the year.

Forum access will remain open to all registered players at the moment and will
not require a subscription to post. The open source release of EigenD will
continue to track the base system, and from time to time we will probably take
parts of the subscription release and put them in the public domain. The
decision hasn't been made yet but we may make a cut down read only version of
Stage for the GPL release so that there is a reduced functionality, completely
free release available with some Stage functionality. We won't be doing this
before next year though.

Purchasers of Eigenharps will get a one year subscription to EigenD (but not
EigenD Pro) included in the price, and if you bought your Eigenharp within the
last year you will qualify for the remainder of your years paid support as an
EigenD subscriber.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EigenD 2.0 FAQ:

- Will 1.3 and 1.4 remain free?

Yes they will. You do not have to subscribe if you do not want the new features,
media and capabilities in 2.0.

- How long will they remain supported for?

We will be bugfixing against them for the remainder of 2011, after that they will
remain free but they will no longer be updated.

- What will happen to the open source release?

It will continue to track the subscription release, missing some of the newer
functionality, in the same way it does today. From time to time we will
probably release features from the subscription releases into the public
domain. We remain commited to Open Source and our developer community.

- What happens to my software if I let my subscription lapse?

Nothing. A subscription enables you to download the latest version, once you
have done that it will continue to work even if your subscription subsequently
expires.

- Do you offer any educational discount?

At the moment we do not.

- What are the new features in 2.0?

The feature list for 2.0 is not yet finalised, but to date it includes a large
number of performance enhancements and system changes to enable setups to be
more configurable, several new Agents that enable new methods of performance
(the Strummer to enable guitar like behaviours and Fingerer to enable wind
instrument style fingerings) and a number of new bundled third party AU/VST
instruments and effects. We'll be releasing more information about the new
features during the 2.0 'Experimental' phase.

- What does Workbench do? Is it going to be worth the extra £159?

That's a hard question to answer. It adds three new significant features to the
Eigenharps and EigenD. Firstly it allows one to visually see and inspect the
signal flow, Agents and Ports inside any setup that is 2.X compatible. Secondly
it allows one to edit and change those setups, modifying the signal flow,
changing keyboard layouts by defining new Keygroups and deleting and adding
Agents. Thirdly it allows one to build setups from scratch, as simple as you
want or as rich as your computer hardware will support. If this is something
that is intersting to you then the answer is probably yes. If playing the
instrument using Factory setups is what you want to do, then probably not -
Stage already gives you extensive control over those. If you'd like to build
your own Setups then yes, we think so.

- Can I do any software programming in Workbench?

No, Workbench is configuration and routing tool, it does not have software
development features. If there is an Agent to do what you want to a signal you
can plumb it in Workbench to do just that, but if you want software programming
abilities then the open source release is your best bet - coding an agent is
not that difficult if you know a little Python and C++, and Agents written for
the Open Source release will work with all 2.X software.

- Will setups built for the 1.X series work with 2.X?

No, they will not. It has proven simply too technically difficult to make this
possible. There will be new factory setups for the 2.X series which
will be very similar to the existing setups for an easy playing transition.

- Why have you started charging for your software? It was always free before..

We always intended to charge a subscription for software updates - it is a
significant part of our business model and the continued development of EigenD
is simply not possible without it. We had originally intended that this
subscription would be tied to peoples support contracts and begin when these
expired. Several issues led us to wait on this, mainly that Windows was not
supported across the entire range and we felt (and our users had told us) that
our UI was not good enough. With 1.3 we felt that EigenD had reached a
watershed. It was very stable (being used by a lot of people playing live,
sometimes to audiences in the tens of thousands), had a great and highly
configurable user interface in Stage and with 1.4 was finally completely
equivalent across the MacOS and Windows platforms. It seemed a good point
to make a the jump to a new product. EigenD 2.0 has been in parallel development
to the 1.X series for around 18 months and represents a substantial investment
of time, creativity and resources for us. It is a response to a lot of feedback
from players and users and we hope that you enjoy it.

- What's happening with the IOS version of Stage?

That is part of our Autumn plans, we'll keep you posted.

written by: john

Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:45:51 +0000 GMT

Hi Paul

If you can't see the 2.0 release in the software section (it's currently under 'Experimental' in the left hand downloads menus) then that's a bug. Your subscription is activated the moment your card transaction goes through, there is no delay.

Before we start looking for a bug, could you please just double check that you can't see it there? We haven't had any reports of problems with the site in this respect, but it's brand new code so it's quite possible there is a problem. Before we go off on a big bug hunt though could you just have a second look and let us know how you get on?

Thanks

John

written by: EdisonRex

Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:37:24 +0000 GMT

John, I went to download it (it let me see it) and it asked me to buy a subscription when I went to download it.

Obviously something isn't quite right with that. I don't want a big bughunt but clearly something didn't happen with my registration. That might not be your software of course, it might be administrative, so can I leave it with you folks to sort it please.

Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:49:20 +0000 GMT

Hi Paul

I can see your order on the system, so it looks like a bug. Apologies for that, I have no idea what happened. We'll look at this as soon as we can and get back to you.

John

Sun, 15 Jan 2012 22:19:30 +0000 GMT

Bugs will be found, and I'm especially good at stumbling into them if you haven't noticed already. I'll await your further response.

Thanks, John. It is appreciated.

-Paul

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:54:52 +0000 GMT

Hi Paul

You should find that you can download EigenD 2.0 Pro now. There is a bug in the site - it's connected with the fact that you ordered something else (something that we have to physically ship) at the same time - at present the subscription doesn't become valid until we ship your order and each order only creates one card transaction (and we don't normally debit cards until an order is actually shipped), so activation waited on the other part of your order completing.

Please accept our apologies for that - it's a bug in the site that we'll get fixed as soon as we can.

John

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:22:14 +0000 GMT

John

Yes, it's fine now. Thanks. I did read your original posting and that answered one of my questions which is how long does the subscription last for. Onward.

written by: MarkPowell

Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:06:24 +0000 GMT

Hi all,
I've just gritted my teeth and stumped up the cash to buy a second-hand Alpha from the very helpful Andy Abrantes. When I collect it on Monday I want to start looking at Workbench. Looking at the details at the top of this thread, it'd be £199 for the 1 year pro subscription while it's still in experimental, but looking at the subscriptions shop page I'm looking at £249. Could someone clarify which I'd get charged? If it's a full 249 then I'll probably just go for the 6 month sub for now.

Cheers,
Mark.

written by: 0beron

Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:57:07 +0000 GMT

I think the prices on the subscriptions shop are up to date, i.e. a year will be £249, but the 'year' only starts once eigenD 2.0 reaches a stable release. This means you are guaranteed a year of updates to the stable version, rather than getting a reduced price while not knowing how long it will remain in an experimental version.

The experimental version has a very limited set of factory setups. The next release will be a testing release, so for your subscription charge you are likely to able to play with workbench for a period of time before your subscription officially starts.

Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:59:59 +0000 GMT

Hi Mark

Well done on your Alpha purchase, that's a nice instrument.

Pro subscription is £249 including VAT (which you don't pay if you're outside the EU but I'm guessing you will have to). We decided to extend all subscriptions that were bought early to only effectively start when 2.0 enters stable release, so if you buy a year or six months it won't start until then. Bear in mind that there are no factory setups for 2.0 as yet. This will probably change fairly shortly, but at the moment you have to roll your own which can, particularly for a new player, be a bit daunting. Mind you, using Workbench that isn't so hard anymore. Especially now we've got the Keygroup editing in, although a full blown setup like Alpha Factory 3 is a bit more of a challenge.

John

Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:41:06 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the replies gents. I think I'll go for the six month option for the time being.

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 18 Feb 2012 17:36:49 +0000 GMT

Mark - Congrats and welcome to the growing crowd!

Why not consider joining us on one of the G+ hangouts?

Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:52:53 +0000 GMT

Hi MIke,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been watching some of the old hangout videos on YouTube, and would like to contribute once I get my playing up to speed. However, with two young children and another on the way trying to be in a specific place at a specific time is often tricky. I'll definitely do my best though!

Thanks,
Mark.

written by: esperdiv

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:40:17 +0100 BST

Hi everyone,

After a 6-month break from my Alpha, I came back yesterday to download the latest EigenD and found everything quite confusing. I am also somewhat not very happy after reading the 2.0 announcements. I also own an software development business and, coming from both sides of the fence would like to share my thoughts.

- As an EigenHarp customer, I bought an instrument that cost me over $10,000 Canadian Dollars. This, to most people in Canada, represents about 1/5th of their annual income (Based on a salary after taxes of $50,000 (which is a lot)). It looked really fun and it was what I thought I had been looking for in an electronic instrument for a long time. I thought I was sustaining the company by buying a high-priced luxury item.
- I was quite disappointed at first by how convoluted the software was. I wanted to get on and make sounds but the software was built by engineers for engineers, it seemed. Not for musicians.
- I grew to learn the software a bit. However, every time friends come and want to listen to the Alpha, I'm always a bit hesitant as it's so far from plug & play that I'll have to set everything up for 10-15 minutes before being able to play anything.
- We were promised, in the forums, Workbench, which would greatly simplify setup of the instrument. I never thought, I'd have to pay for this. It was far from my expectations, having already given a substantial sum of money to the company. I want it to "just work". Same as when I buy an expensive Apple Product and that company goes out of it's way to support me properly.
- I am quite disappointed now and have mixed feelings about how to personally go forward with this.

I just have two very specific questions:

1) What am I getting in return for a non-pro subscription that I don't already have with EigenD 1.4?
2) Does the non-pro subscription 1 year countdown start only when 2.0 enters stable or is that for Pro only? This is very confusing from all the previous posts.

Finally, I wish this would have been better communicated to your existing clients. An email explaining the situation maybe? Not everyone checks this forum everyday and the only mention of this major business model change that I could find is in this thread. Couldn't it have been handled a bit better?

Thanks for listening.

written by: stbohne

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:41:15 +0100 BST

I will only comment on one issue.

- I was quite disappointed at first by how convoluted the software was. I wanted to get on and make sounds but the software was built by engineers for engineers, it seemed. Not for musicians.

Being an engineer more than a musician myself and having attended the Eigenharp Developers Conference (meeting John and having some discussions with him), let me assure you that John is very well aware of the gap between engineers and musicians.

written by: mikemilton

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:25:38 +0100 BST

I'll add to that point. I'm *really* not technical and have found that the eigenharps actually *do* play right out of the box with an hour or so to figure out the basic operation (selecting sounds, scales, etc)

If people have a disconnect (and some do) it is that they want to do customization / configuration work that is at heart a technical task (even when your goal is musical).

Stage is a help (particularly with the move to embedded documentation in tool tips). Really, with stage and V1.4 (including the MIDI routing matrix) anyone can 'get on with' making music using virtually any hard or soft synth they please with no technical effort beyond learning the control interface.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:58:05 +0100 BST

@esperdiv

The clock does not start ticking on either the EigenD Pro or Base subscriptions until the first stable release.

EigenD base will likely contain two new Agents, Fingerer and Strummer and some new bundled content. The full details of the specification of these Agents and the content are not yet finalised, we are still in the experimental release phase of 2.0. The biggest change to 2.0 is a ability to run setups built with Workbench, which is not possible with 1.4.

If you don't want to play with your own setups then right now I'd advise you to stick with 1.4. It's free, stable and well featured. We are still supporting it until the formal stable release of 2.0. The two new Agents will be fun I think, but will be fiddly to use and experiment with without a pre-built setup for them (which is not yet implemented, people are brewing their own so far) and I don't think that the experience would be particularly good as a result.

If you do want to start playing with building your own setups using Workbench please be aware that 2.0 is still experimental which means that things are still in flux - the community is contributing heavily in feedback with each release and this is going straight back into the development process. This means that it is not yet guaranteed that setups will be forward compatible between releases - so far they have been, but you never know what might pop up. It's not yet ready for playing live, the caveats on the download page are real, please take note. I'm the wrong person to ask about it really, if you want to get an unbiased opinion as to if it's worthwhile I'd ask the community on the forums here, they've been playing with it for several months now.

If you are interested in Workbench, you can read the manual and the beginnings of a tutorial series here. The initial manual page for Fingerer is here. Strummer is not yet released in 2.0 (there's an Agent with that name but it's not what it will be as yet) so there's no manual page for it.

Finally, if you're interested in keeping up with news please be aware that we do have an RSS feed as well as an email notification system of forum posts - this is our preferred way of getting updates to you as it is in your full control. Every time I do send an email to our main list (which is quite large) I get a barrage of the normal complaints (each one of which requires a polite reply) about spam (even though it's an opt in list, people have bad memories and forget they're on it) so I really try to keep that down to main formal announcements. The release of 2.0 will be one of those, but I don't want to bother the wider community with it until it's ready for front line use with a stable release. We haven't even given it to the press for review yet, the experimental phase really is a community thing and goes no further as yet.

John

PS: If you're a software developer I'd like to invite you to have a look at the open source EigenD development, you might find it interesting. If you've been out of the loop for a while then you might have missed it, but we released EigenD under the GPL last year and had our first developers conference this year in January, which was a great success. There's now the ability to both build a basic system from scratch yourself along with the ability to write and distribute your own Agents as binaries. There a dedicated forum area and a section of the Wiki dedicated to it as well, you can find links to it all here.

written by: garthpaine

Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:06:14 +0100 BST

you still have to pay for it now - no promises, no guarantees - i'm out - sold my pico and probably will sell the Alpha - thousands of dollars spent to support a company that can not even deliver a proper software platform - it is an interface guys - it needs a proper software platform and your experimental "bring everyone with us" approach is fine if you only paid a few hundred Euro/dollars but sucks if you paid thousands

written by: BobThDog

Mon, 9 Apr 2012 22:45:19 +0100 BST

This all seems a bit of a punch in the face for the early adopters.

written by: dhjdhj

Tue, 10 Apr 2012 06:14:37 +0100 BST

Garth,

You might want to check out a new website I've just created called http://max4eigenharp.com

I'm successfully using a very lightweight EigenD setup to send OSC to Max and doing all my configuration with Max instead of with EigenD.

D

written by: wasi

Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:01:25 +0100 BST

Wow, I came here after ages again and after adding up all the gear I would have to sell to be able to buy a tau and see this... I registered because most (if not all) comments have come from existing customers. I am not a current customer but a prospective one. Or rather was, until I read this thread.

I have to say a subscription model is something that only makes sense from the seller's perspective. As a consumer, I pay for updates, as in "promised and guaranteed features". Subscriptions, almost by nature, screw the consumer over from the moment you sign up. They are nothing but a vague indication that you may or may not get something within the relevant period. If 2.0 is stable and full featured from the get-go, I'll gladly pay for it and stick with it. If few or no updates come within the first year, that's fine with me because 2.0 ist stable and complete.

But what if it isn't? What if unanticipated problems make it impossible for Eigenlabs to release 2.0 stable (for realism's sake let's say "for windows") within the first year? As a consumer, I'm basically screwed, because I paid for a year of fruitless efforts and I'm stuck with a version that, e.g., won't run stable on my then brand new Windows 8 laptop (or it won't run stable in Windows 7 64bit or my 64bit host host or whatever other must have item I was betting on when I subscribed). I have seen this happen with far lesser software investments and while I'd love to support Eigenlabs just because I think they're awesome, I too have limited funds and need to make sure I am getting my money's worth.

Paid updates make much more sense for the consumer. He knows what he's getting, there are no surprises and any 2.x versions are either fixes or simply a bonus. Subscriptions offer the consumer no guarantees and actually provide negative incentives to the company because they are under pressure to release an "adequate" number of updates for their subscrubers and they may actually start bloating, timing or fragmenting updates to live up to the requirement of "enough updates" but still hold enough back for "just another year" to entice customers to prolong subscriptions. Subscriptions create an incentive to the company to relase "not quite finished" products for as long as you can get away with. Paid updates provide an incentive to innovate. Needless to say I prefer the latter.

If you say "2.0 will feature x, y and z, possibly zx", that's a product. Everything else is just selling hope and speculation and you already pretty solidly swept the carpet from under any of that with this change of business model.

What I'm saying is a "subscription" should buy you all 2.x releases. At least then you'll know what you'll be getting and you have the assurance that what you are getting will work. Eigenlabs would be committed to finishing that particular stage of the product within a reasonable timeframe.

I can absolutely see the financial aspects of this decision, but the thing is, even when it's an objective necessity, you need to sell it to people. This idea was born on a spreadsheed. Sales growth must be down and you have to look at generating revenue from existing customers. I don't think anybody would have complained if 2.x would have been announced as a paid upgrade, but subscription? And then a 'regular' and 'pro'? What if nobody wants 'pro'? Will you drop it or integrate it into 'regular'? Does 'pro' pay for itself or is it cross financed by the 'regular' subscribers? If so, what do they get out of it? Without them, pro would not be possible, on the other hand, everything that goes into 'pro' is lacking in 'regular'. Who pays for the iPad app development? (I don't have an iPad.)

The whole model just makes you uneasy as a consumer. I want to know what I am getting and I want some sort of manifest commitment by the developer that x, y and z will be provided within the relevant timeframe of my investment. A subscription doesn't offer me that and on the contrary makes me constantly uneasy whether I am (or will be) getting what I am paying for or not. It certainly put me solidly back on the fence, because until 2.0 is out and functional, I have no idea what I will be getting.

It's silly, but I feel that a "paid upgrade" model would have caused a lot less antagonism. A little bit of financial uncertainty on the part of Eigenlabs for a huge piece of their customer's trust. And I for one would know that if I buy when 2.0 is out, I'm on board for 2.x and don't have to time my purchase with my guesses at the iOS development cycle or the release of Windows8 or whatever else might influence development.

Please log in to join the discussions