We will be making one more release in the 1.X series of EigenD, 1.4. This will
have no new features but will be a performance and stability release, along
with finally bringing the MacOS and Windows versions fully in line with each
other by completing the Tau and Alpha support on Windows 7, introducing full
headphone support for both. 1.4 will be the last release in the 1.X series of
EigenD.

It's been a long road from 1.0 and I'd like to take the opportunity to thank
all of you who have helped us improve and refine EigenD over the last two years
- your bug reports, suggestions and input have been vital.

From EigenD 2.0 onwards we will be introducing an annual subscription model for
EigenD which will cover all software updates to the base system, which includes
the Stage application. This will be charged at £90/yr or £49 for 6 months
(including VAT at 20%) and covers email suppport as well as software downloads
of the latest version of EigenD.

EigenD 2.0 is scheduled to contain a number of improvements and new features to
the current Eigend along with a considerable number of new bundled instruments
and effects. Subscription is by player, not instrument, so you will not need to
pay more than once if you own multiple models of Eigenharp.

Early subscribers will not have their one year period counted as beginning
until 2.0 enters stable release, but you will need to be a subscriber to gain
access to the early experimental and testing releases.

From 2.0 onwards we will also be introducing a new product, EigenD Pro, for
power users who wish to build and edit their own setups more easily. This
features EigenD, Stage and our new Workbench graphical application that allows
a user to build and customise their own setups quickly and easily. This will be
available by subscription in a similar way to the base EigenD and will cost
£249 a year or £139 for six months (including VAT at 20%). Customers who
purchase an annual EigenD Pro subscription during the period in which it is
classed as 'Experimental' will be able to do so for the discounted price of
£199 for the year.

Forum access will remain open to all registered players at the moment and will
not require a subscription to post. The open source release of EigenD will
continue to track the base system, and from time to time we will probably take
parts of the subscription release and put them in the public domain. The
decision hasn't been made yet but we may make a cut down read only version of
Stage for the GPL release so that there is a reduced functionality, completely
free release available with some Stage functionality. We won't be doing this
before next year though.

Purchasers of Eigenharps will get a one year subscription to EigenD (but not
EigenD Pro) included in the price, and if you bought your Eigenharp within the
last year you will qualify for the remainder of your years paid support as an
EigenD subscriber.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EigenD 2.0 FAQ:

- Will 1.3 and 1.4 remain free?

Yes they will. You do not have to subscribe if you do not want the new features,
media and capabilities in 2.0.

- How long will they remain supported for?

We will be bugfixing against them for the remainder of 2011, after that they will
remain free but they will no longer be updated.

- What will happen to the open source release?

It will continue to track the subscription release, missing some of the newer
functionality, in the same way it does today. From time to time we will
probably release features from the subscription releases into the public
domain. We remain commited to Open Source and our developer community.

- What happens to my software if I let my subscription lapse?

Nothing. A subscription enables you to download the latest version, once you
have done that it will continue to work even if your subscription subsequently
expires.

- Do you offer any educational discount?

At the moment we do not.

- What are the new features in 2.0?

The feature list for 2.0 is not yet finalised, but to date it includes a large
number of performance enhancements and system changes to enable setups to be
more configurable, several new Agents that enable new methods of performance
(the Strummer to enable guitar like behaviours and Fingerer to enable wind
instrument style fingerings) and a number of new bundled third party AU/VST
instruments and effects. We'll be releasing more information about the new
features during the 2.0 'Experimental' phase.

- What does Workbench do? Is it going to be worth the extra £159?

That's a hard question to answer. It adds three new significant features to the
Eigenharps and EigenD. Firstly it allows one to visually see and inspect the
signal flow, Agents and Ports inside any setup that is 2.X compatible. Secondly
it allows one to edit and change those setups, modifying the signal flow,
changing keyboard layouts by defining new Keygroups and deleting and adding
Agents. Thirdly it allows one to build setups from scratch, as simple as you
want or as rich as your computer hardware will support. If this is something
that is intersting to you then the answer is probably yes. If playing the
instrument using Factory setups is what you want to do, then probably not -
Stage already gives you extensive control over those. If you'd like to build
your own Setups then yes, we think so.

- Can I do any software programming in Workbench?

No, Workbench is configuration and routing tool, it does not have software
development features. If there is an Agent to do what you want to a signal you
can plumb it in Workbench to do just that, but if you want software programming
abilities then the open source release is your best bet - coding an agent is
not that difficult if you know a little Python and C++, and Agents written for
the Open Source release will work with all 2.X software.

- Will setups built for the 1.X series work with 2.X?

No, they will not. It has proven simply too technically difficult to make this
possible. There will be new factory setups for the 2.X series which
will be very similar to the existing setups for an easy playing transition.

- Why have you started charging for your software? It was always free before..

We always intended to charge a subscription for software updates - it is a
significant part of our business model and the continued development of EigenD
is simply not possible without it. We had originally intended that this
subscription would be tied to peoples support contracts and begin when these
expired. Several issues led us to wait on this, mainly that Windows was not
supported across the entire range and we felt (and our users had told us) that
our UI was not good enough. With 1.3 we felt that EigenD had reached a
watershed. It was very stable (being used by a lot of people playing live,
sometimes to audiences in the tens of thousands), had a great and highly
configurable user interface in Stage and with 1.4 was finally completely
equivalent across the MacOS and Windows platforms. It seemed a good point
to make a the jump to a new product. EigenD 2.0 has been in parallel development
to the 1.X series for around 18 months and represents a substantial investment
of time, creativity and resources for us. It is a response to a lot of feedback
from players and users and we hope that you enjoy it.

- What's happening with the IOS version of Stage?

That is part of our Autumn plans, we'll keep you posted.

written by: bl4cksun

Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:30:50 +0100 BST

Thanks for taking the time to answer...couple of other questions about some things I'm still not clear about...
Will stage still be available in the base ver 2 version and will stage still be customisable without the pro version?
How are the plans going for the iOS version of stage?
Regards
Martyn

written by: john

Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:49:05 +0100 BST

Hi Martyn

A fully featured Stage (ie, you can make your own tabs) is part of the base EigenD available by subscription in 2.0 - you don't need the Pro version for that. It is also part of the free 1.3 and 1.4 releases. It is not part of the open source release at present.

The IOS version works fine but ran into some problems in the Apple approval process (the networking configuration has to work in a certain way for them to be happy) that we have to fix before it can be in the app store - we're currently planning to get to that this autumn. It's only a couple of days work more than likely, but we really want to get the first 2.0 Experimental out so it's gone on the back burner 'till we get that done.

John

written by: ChrisPenner

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 06:57:24 +0100 BST

I understand the need for a sustainable income to continue development, and since hardware is constantly changing it does need constant bug tweaking, but I am understandably disappointed to hear that I will need to be paying a subscription simply to continue using an instrument I've already paid for to its full potential.

Support has been good so far, but unfortunately I seem to be having some strange isolated bugs that others have not, I've reported them all and so far most of what I've been hearing is that the problem is with my computer or USB cable (which is the stock cable) not with the software; but, in the words of Aza Raskin, I believe that "It's never the user's fault". I've had quite a few stability problems in 1.43 (and have reported them) and they still haven't been resolved.

Thank you for making this announcement so we have some time to think about it. I suppose I look at this too much like other instruments, those instruments (guitars with guitar strings, etc) require upkeep too, but it's not in that price range.
The Eigenharp still has a small community of users, as it grows then there will be more users to foot the overall cost, allowing it to be lowered, however I'm sure that starting with these prices will limit the amount of new users committing to the Eigenharp.

Thanks, I'm loving the instrument and will continue to love playing it, it's just a matter of cost to me, College isn't cheap and I'll soon barely be able to afford food, never mind software updates.

Thank you for your hard work

written by: geert

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 07:31:52 +0100 BST

Hi Chris,

We looked at your bug reports, analyzed the log files and there was some evidence that there might be a hardware problem. To help us eliminate possible candidates (USB cable, USB port), I merely asked you if it was possible to try another high quality cable (which you might have lying around) and another USB port.

Once more about your problems, we don't see EigenD misbehaving in the log files, we do see error messages from the USB sub-system, ie. error messages coming directly from the operating system.

That being said, we did more work on the USB driver to make it more robust and released 1.0.8 a week ago, alongside with EigenD 1.4.6. Please do try these out as they have a large collection of various improvements.

Best regards,

Geert

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 12:40:31 +0100 BST

Hi Chris

I'll divide his reply into three parts if that's ok with you, mostly because I read that Aza Raskin link; it got me thinking and I'd like to chat about it.

Firstly though I'd just like to talk about your USB issues, which are rather more mundane but probably rather more pressing to you. I have to say that the USB interface of the Eigenharps has probably caused us more hassle as a company than any other piece of the hardware, and not for any reasons that we we created. USB is a veritable dogs breakfast of a protocol, remarkably so for something not that old, and has given hardware and operating system makers a lot of room to make mistakes. Sadly they seem to have taken these opportunities for error fairly frequently. On Mac systems the USB hardware is generally consistent, homogenous and reliable which unsurprising since its probably the same design team for the lot. The same cannot be said for PC's, where different vendors and motherboards create a wide variety of differing behaviours, some well outside of standard. We recently encountered a motherboard with no less that 3 different hardware USB devices on board, each from different vendors and each with its own software driver, and each of those with its own set of bugs. And that is before you add in on board hubs, which take an already complicated and buggy arena and add to it hugely. Now its is worth bearing in mid that the Eigenharps also give this hardware and software a hard time - we create both bulk transfer and iso pipes on the link and work it quite hard, so if there are bugs in the hardware or driver we're quite likely to flush them out, in a way that a CD or HD will not. And bugs we do find. Some we can code around (and the USB code inside EigenD get a little more complicated for this reason every year) but some are just broken and there is little we can do about that. No matter how often one might repeat the mantra 'its never the users fault', we simply can't fix that. So when we start suggesting that you change the USB cable, try a different port or piece of hardware (especially if we see operating system errors in the logs as Geert did in your case) please bear with us - at the point we can see no issues in EigenD and the OS is reporting hardware errors there truly is very little we can do - we're in the land of juju 'maybe it'll work if' attempts, just the same as you. Having said that our 1.0.8 USB driver is also a lot more paranoid, so it's really worth a try as it's possible that it just won't tickle whatever hardware error you are encountering. Please let us know how you get on. BTW, changing the USB cable often has useful effects - the USB cable spec is rubbish (the power transmission versus wire gauge is really marginal for voltage drop over length) and many vendors skimp - its the reason we ship a heavy gauge cable, but even these sometimes aren't enough if the source voltage on your PC is a bit low and out of spec, which once again isn't that uncommon on PC's.

On the annual cost of software front, I suspect that I'm going to be posting on this as a kind of pennance for the next ten years, but I would just like to point out some comparative costs for you (and everyone else). This year I have spent around £150 on guitar strings (10 sets of coated strings for my guitars) which is low this year as I haven't been playing as much as I usually do - 2-3 sets per guitar per year is normal for me and I've 5 different guitars to keep running. I've also had to spend £260 upgrading ProTools software (and this is software/hardware that I already own and paid a hell of a lot more for originally than anyone did for an Eigenharp) to gain precisely no new features that I want. I've had to pay $160 last week for my annual subscription to Waves just to keep an EQ an compressor that I like up to date (the Renaissance ones). $160 annually for an AU/VST EQ and a compressor! I've also just realised that I've probably got to upgrade Logic this year (£160) and that last year I had my 'Cello serviced which cost £600 and a valve guitar amp repaired which cost £200. The piano gets tuned ever couple of months (my wife's instrument though so cheating a bit there, I'm a terrible pianist) and that's £35 each time, or a couple of hundred pounds a year. In the context of this (and I know that I have a lot of nice tools for making music that I'm talking about here, but I'm far from a pro - this is not that unusual a maintenance burden) I am really struggling to see how keeping EigenD up to date (which is an expensive thing to make happen here) at £90/year is steep. Having just listed all that, its seems good value to me. Anyway, apologies, rant over...

The Aza Raskin link is a lot more interesting than all this stuff, thanks for including it. I read through their companies design philosophy and found it a very well expressed example of this point of view on UI design. It is the new current fashion, as can be seen in the crop of models of user interfaces such as IOS and Gnome. For some things I think it makes sense, but the insistence on this philosophy as ubiquitous is something that I disagree with fervently. I personally cannot stand the new Gnome for example, it seems to me to be a user interface for Teletubbies. There is a fundamental point here about the way the people interact with machines and the underlying assumption behind a lot of that thinking is that there exists a consistent model for this that can be applied for all types of interaction, whether the machine might be a telephone, microwave, word processor or perhaps a musical instrument. That model is very well expressed by Aza Raskin. I think it is wrong, and for many human activities very much so. If one owns a smartphone, or an ebook, they have a great point - these things are not creative tools, they are appliances. One does not want the prospect of unlimited new behaviours, in fact that prospect and the difficulty of encountering it is an anathema. But the moment that we encounter the world of creative tools, all that reasoning becomes bogus. As musicians or artists we seek the unexpected, the difficult, the expressive. The very 'keep it simple so the user is not needlessly challenged' approach it completely anti-ethical to this. The idea that as a user one is never wrong is too - if you can never be wrong you can never innovate either. The whole mindset delivers boredom. Now for my phone or my Kindle, I think this is a very good thing. For a musical instrument, or the computer desktop, no. I want power, possibility, control and the opportunity to screw up in the same way that I really don't want those things when I'm reading an ebook. That is at the heart of creativity, and allowing the mindset of UI designers like Aza Raskin to infect our world is like pouring cold water on the fire. Reading the design philosophy of their company 'Humanized' is like reading the inverse of what I want out of a computer that isn't an appliance. The only point I can agree with (and I agree with it wholeheartedly) is the last one, which is about discoverability and which I have come to regard as the primary thing I want in all software after reliability. But the rest of it, no thanks. Keep that stuff for my phone, my car and my book reader please.

John

written by: NothanUmber

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 14:08:23 +0100 BST

Generally Belcanto is imho a really great idea and the textual interface not a problem per se. As you wrote presumably the main issue was the "discoverability" - a thoughtrough textual introspection mechanism for setups in the Eigenbrowser (comparable to the workbench inspect and show connection commands and the talker browse command), a context sensitive list of allowed continuations of a belcanto phrase instead of the static list of all phrases in the EigenCommander and a way to convert a setup into a Belcanto script and back. With those three capabilities almost everything would have been possible with minimal documentation.
If Workbench wouldn't have been "iminently released" for so long perhaps we would have this already as that would have been the most crucial functionality open source devs could have tried to add - why try to write your own agents when you can't even connect them into your setup.

But hopefully we will have our graphical introspector soon now and better times begin :)

Greetings,
NothanUmber

written by: Tenebrous

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 14:41:39 +0100 BST

Personally I think that £90/year for EigenD *is* pretty reasonable. But the reply just hit a nerve for me.

Just a small note, but I was quite shocked by John's reply, which basically reads like "I have to spend a lot of money on all of these things so charging you guys is justified". I know that you own a hotel and all, and who knows what else, but some of us mere mortals just don't have that kind of money, not to mention how long some of us would have saved up for the Eigenharp in the first place.

My apologies if this sounded harsh John, I'm sure this wasn't the intention but that is how it came across (another example of the internet changing the emotional tone perhaps).

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 15:46:03 +0100 BST

Tene

That is certainly not what was intended, I was making a clear comparison of the normal costs a musician might encounter (and all my costs are exactly that, quite normal for an active musician) with what we are going to be charging. This seems to me to be a reasonable thing to do given the tone of many of the comments that have been made here over the last few days. All prices are relative, and such comparisons are useful to keep some perspective - believe me I spent quite some time doing them before we decided the eventual EigenD update pricing - it wasn't just plucked out of thin air.

I am reasonably well off but I watch the pennies as much as the next person (that 'hotel' is a business by the way and employs four people and is a hell of a lot of work to keep running) and I often get annoyed by the maintenance costs on software, just the same as you guys do - I find the 'Waves Update Plan' particularly annoying as its a lot for something I don't use that much. I still pay it though, because the product is too useful and as a software developer I am aware that someone has to do the work of keeping it current. And I don't expect that someone to live on thin air.

I have to say this again as well - you don't have to buy anything. Really. If you don't want to spend the money, stick with 1.4. Its free. Completely free. Your money is buying a whole load of new stuff in 2.0 and if you don't want it, don't buy it. And if you seriously never want to spend anything, check out the free GPL version and build it yourself, or find someone to do it for you. I have no idea how we could be more generous than we already have been to our users and have even the remotest hope of still being here in five years.

On a final note I would be obliged if we could avoid ad hominem arguments in these forums in the future. They combine a lack of manners with profound logical error and upset me considerably as a result.

John

written by: barnone

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 17:43:45 +0100 BST

I've refrained from replying here until I gave this matter some time and consideration.

I agree that this product requires a very high level of ongoing software development that is certainly above most other hardware devices.

We do all benefit from this, so I think it makes sense to figure out how to support it.

I do have a couple of reservations though. I think it's very important for the pico users to have a reasonable cost of entry without ongoing expense.

I also think that the freely available software needs to be updated to latest stable branch regardless of whether 1.4 or 2.0

Instead of saying 1.4 will stay free and everything 2.0 and above will be a subscription, it might be better to say, stable releases are free. If you want to be a PRO user and have access to that latest code base including all the incremental experimental and testing releases, you need to pay a subscription.

Free
Latest Stable software branch, currently 1.3x - Eventually 2.0 stable branch would also be free.
Free support and warranty for a year
Open source access to codebase of stable branch

Paid Tiers
Yearly extended support for email and phone support (You can always use Forum for free)
Extended warranty
PRO level subscription - access to experimental and testing branches of latest releases - Access to workbench
Developer Partner - Access to Source Code of testing and experimental releases - would have developer account on git hug or similar for this. Ability so sell products based on workbench etc like custom setups, new agents etc.

The Waves plugin example is actually not a good one. They have lost a lot of customers over it and market share. They are pidgeon holing themselves as a PRO-only product and they miss the mainstream market completely. This is my reservation on the subscription plan because you will never build out the user base if everyone feels like they need a subscription to use the product.

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 18:49:31 +0100 BST

@barnone

I was just playing with my pico and have loaned it to my son for a bit. Doing this refreshed my feel for the instrument and I really think that if I had only a pico, and cost was an issue, I'd just stick with the stable release now available and be quite happy

That said, it seems that the stable releases of the base produce should probably, eventually, surface.... perhaps one stable release back (ie 2 when 3 goes stable).

Why? Two reasons:

1) anyone who has a tau or alpha can prioritize making expenditures at these price points if they choose. Honestly I want more funding for development, not less. I *want* to make this happen and am confused by the appearance that some people seemingly don't.

2) I do not feel that people who choose not to invest in the future of the product should be cut off (and they aren't) but I also feel they should not gain the benefit of those who do want to invest as as quickly as your post seems to suggest.

m

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 21:43:01 +0100 BST

The open source release of EigenD is actually tracking the 2.0 branch at the moment, minus Stage and Workbench and a couple of new Agents. We were planning to have this continue, so there will always be a free alternative. It's not currently all packaged up nicely as no-one seems to want to do that (making releases is boring hard work I guess), but the option exists and its not like there aren't quite a few developers in the community who could do it.

As I said in the original announcement, we may well make a free version of 2.0 available next year, possibly with a read only, much cut down version of Stage that gives people a totally free option if they don't want to spend anything at all. This is going to cost time and effort to do though and while 1.4 is right there for free there's not exactly a lot of pressure to do this, its something that will become more relevant once 1.4 starts to show its age.

It's an interesting conundrum really - I also would like any owner to have the option of a free, lower functionality release but if many actually take that option, well, there won't be any releases at all as we won't be able to afford to do further development. In the absence of a supply of free money from somewhere I'm not sure how that problem ever gets solved. It will be interesting (and fairly crucial to the future of EigenD development) to see what kind of uptake there is for the subscription to Pro and base EigenD. In a few months things will be a lot clearer.

John

written by: Tenebrous

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 22:04:47 +0100 BST

John,

Thanks for your reply and clarifying your intention, it's much appreciated.

T

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 22:07:53 +0100 BST

The current 2.0 open source release is imho not too interesting for end users. E.g. for Tau currently there is not even a matching default setup existing anymore atm. and most new non-under the hood features are apparently not contained. (Following a hint from Geert I applied his high resolution velocity changeset he wrote for 2.0 to 1.4 to be able to experiment with it, I can share the corresponding patch if there is interest of course - currently the only plugin I know of that supports this is Pianoteq though).
Open source 2.0 will be essential to write e.g. agents for EigenD 2 but as long as the infrastructure to build setups is not there I don't see a reason to start packaging up precompiled binaries - it wouldn't be of much aid, would it?

Sun, 2 Oct 2011 08:58:36 +0100 BST

Another idea:
Whould it make sense to establish some kind of community-is-paying-for-developers system: some time before the beginning of each year the community is asked to bid some money for EigenD development. Depending on the level that is reached a certain number of developers can be paid for the year to come (the currently reached amount of pledges is public so there is an incentive to give more if we are almost there to be able to pay another developer).
The code written by the developers belongs to the community so it will be open source.
With the pledges you buy yourself a voting right what should be worked on in the next year.
As John put much of his money into the project up front there could be a base level that has to be reached before money wents to developers. This fixed amount of money each year is used to pay off John's current investment into Workbench&Co over the years. Depending on John's trust into the system Workbench, Stage and the rest could be open sourced immediately, after a few years when the system proved itself or after he reaches a break even.
On first thought I would like this approach very much! Would definitely pledge at least the amount that John asked for the yearly EigenD Pro subscription - I personally don't mind if others who don't pay also benefit from that - and paying gives you the extra bonus of voting rights.

Greetings,
NothanUmber

P.S.: There could also be services like access to precompiled binaries and extra sounds etc. that are only accessible when you pay a certain amount to give further incentive to contribute.

written by: keyman

Sun, 2 Oct 2011 13:22:01 +0100 BST

Like Barnone, I also give this topic some time and a good reflection, and initially was not shocked, but was hopping for a more creative "financial gymnastic" or different approach, maybe like this last post from NothanUmber , why not??

As an active Eigenharp forum user and player, by any means I'm againts paying for software development an adding new and fresh features/ideas or new physical instruments and effects.
The same is to say how to "reward" the early adopters onward? or should they be ? maybe they really were rewarded all this time since EigenD 1.0.
Bin able to participate and grow with it along....sugesting new features, that in the end, were pland or scratch by the very developing team?!?
Things change... and I belive in the good changes and old sayings - "you should not bite the hand that feeds you" (applies in both directions, i'm sure everyone agrees)

What's really bin missing till now? hard to say regarding every user has different backgrounds and
experinces, either musically with the instrument directly or with the software aspect.
Never put this in the open, but is it the ability to create a setup from scratch?? with so much on offer (Belcanto, STAGE)
and time to play, days would have to have like 30 hours long or something... is this a "trophy" that everyone wants to achieve?

In the end what matters most, I think, is the community that's building up, and the common good and growth.
(thumbs up for John's mention on ad hominem attacks)
Keep up the awesome work!!

keyman

Mon, 3 Oct 2011 17:32:56 +0100 BST

It's funny, I tried to post here last night but I guess my support time period had just lapsed and I was locked out of the forum.

Got an email this morning saying that it's been extended for a month until the formal support system is put in place.

I just want to say that while I support efforts to pay for the software. I don't want to be ever locked out of the forum because I don't have a support contract.

I would like to hear voices from owners that choose to pay for support and latest software etc as well as those that choose not to pay for support.

Just wondering what the policy will be here.

Thx,
Chris

Mon, 3 Oct 2011 18:09:07 +0100 BST

Hi Chris

Sorry about you getting locked out - all that website code is being rewritten at the moment to provide support for subscriber areas and we just haven't got to that bit yet. Your question about forum access is answered in the first post in the thread, the announcement.

"Forum access will remain open to all registered players at the moment and will not require a subscription to post."

John

Mon, 3 Oct 2011 20:32:43 +0100 BST

Thx John,

That's great to hear.

Chris

written by: Lowdene

Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:40:25 +0100 BST

Yep, I got locked out too. Haven't been using the forum much but it was frustrating (and, yes to be honest, annoying) not to be able to download software to a new computer (which was when I realised I had been denied access). As a Pico and Alpha owner / user, I would have expected to at least get an email to warn me that this was about to happen and then only when I was actually able to do something about it (like get a subscription). However the company responded very fast and I am told my access will continue on a month by month basis until there is an alternative business model in place. My feeling is that this was a mistake rather than an intentional action (a bit like an automatic trading system).

My only other comment on the thread is that I am impressed with John's diligence in replacing his guitar strings (and on all his guitars!). There's a famous guitarist, I think it may be Leo Kottke, who replaces his strings very infrequently, getting used to the non-zingy, non-snappy (some one say dead) tone of old strings. That's my approach - though unfortunately any similarity ends there.

Nick

written by: Lowdene

Tue, 4 Oct 2011 11:07:28 +0100 BST

One more quick point: the statement 'Forum access will remain open to all registered players at the moment and will not require a subscription to post' seems a little ambiguous, particularly because of the particular syntactical position and unclear meaning of the phrase 'at the moment'.

Nick

Please log in to join the discussions