We will be making one more release in the 1.X series of EigenD, 1.4. This will
have no new features but will be a performance and stability release, along
with finally bringing the MacOS and Windows versions fully in line with each
other by completing the Tau and Alpha support on Windows 7, introducing full
headphone support for both. 1.4 will be the last release in the 1.X series of
EigenD.

It's been a long road from 1.0 and I'd like to take the opportunity to thank
all of you who have helped us improve and refine EigenD over the last two years
- your bug reports, suggestions and input have been vital.

From EigenD 2.0 onwards we will be introducing an annual subscription model for
EigenD which will cover all software updates to the base system, which includes
the Stage application. This will be charged at £90/yr or £49 for 6 months
(including VAT at 20%) and covers email suppport as well as software downloads
of the latest version of EigenD.

EigenD 2.0 is scheduled to contain a number of improvements and new features to
the current Eigend along with a considerable number of new bundled instruments
and effects. Subscription is by player, not instrument, so you will not need to
pay more than once if you own multiple models of Eigenharp.

Early subscribers will not have their one year period counted as beginning
until 2.0 enters stable release, but you will need to be a subscriber to gain
access to the early experimental and testing releases.

From 2.0 onwards we will also be introducing a new product, EigenD Pro, for
power users who wish to build and edit their own setups more easily. This
features EigenD, Stage and our new Workbench graphical application that allows
a user to build and customise their own setups quickly and easily. This will be
available by subscription in a similar way to the base EigenD and will cost
£249 a year or £139 for six months (including VAT at 20%). Customers who
purchase an annual EigenD Pro subscription during the period in which it is
classed as 'Experimental' will be able to do so for the discounted price of
£199 for the year.

Forum access will remain open to all registered players at the moment and will
not require a subscription to post. The open source release of EigenD will
continue to track the base system, and from time to time we will probably take
parts of the subscription release and put them in the public domain. The
decision hasn't been made yet but we may make a cut down read only version of
Stage for the GPL release so that there is a reduced functionality, completely
free release available with some Stage functionality. We won't be doing this
before next year though.

Purchasers of Eigenharps will get a one year subscription to EigenD (but not
EigenD Pro) included in the price, and if you bought your Eigenharp within the
last year you will qualify for the remainder of your years paid support as an
EigenD subscriber.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EigenD 2.0 FAQ:

- Will 1.3 and 1.4 remain free?

Yes they will. You do not have to subscribe if you do not want the new features,
media and capabilities in 2.0.

- How long will they remain supported for?

We will be bugfixing against them for the remainder of 2011, after that they will
remain free but they will no longer be updated.

- What will happen to the open source release?

It will continue to track the subscription release, missing some of the newer
functionality, in the same way it does today. From time to time we will
probably release features from the subscription releases into the public
domain. We remain commited to Open Source and our developer community.

- What happens to my software if I let my subscription lapse?

Nothing. A subscription enables you to download the latest version, once you
have done that it will continue to work even if your subscription subsequently
expires.

- Do you offer any educational discount?

At the moment we do not.

- What are the new features in 2.0?

The feature list for 2.0 is not yet finalised, but to date it includes a large
number of performance enhancements and system changes to enable setups to be
more configurable, several new Agents that enable new methods of performance
(the Strummer to enable guitar like behaviours and Fingerer to enable wind
instrument style fingerings) and a number of new bundled third party AU/VST
instruments and effects. We'll be releasing more information about the new
features during the 2.0 'Experimental' phase.

- What does Workbench do? Is it going to be worth the extra £159?

That's a hard question to answer. It adds three new significant features to the
Eigenharps and EigenD. Firstly it allows one to visually see and inspect the
signal flow, Agents and Ports inside any setup that is 2.X compatible. Secondly
it allows one to edit and change those setups, modifying the signal flow,
changing keyboard layouts by defining new Keygroups and deleting and adding
Agents. Thirdly it allows one to build setups from scratch, as simple as you
want or as rich as your computer hardware will support. If this is something
that is intersting to you then the answer is probably yes. If playing the
instrument using Factory setups is what you want to do, then probably not -
Stage already gives you extensive control over those. If you'd like to build
your own Setups then yes, we think so.

- Can I do any software programming in Workbench?

No, Workbench is configuration and routing tool, it does not have software
development features. If there is an Agent to do what you want to a signal you
can plumb it in Workbench to do just that, but if you want software programming
abilities then the open source release is your best bet - coding an agent is
not that difficult if you know a little Python and C++, and Agents written for
the Open Source release will work with all 2.X software.

- Will setups built for the 1.X series work with 2.X?

No, they will not. It has proven simply too technically difficult to make this
possible. There will be new factory setups for the 2.X series which
will be very similar to the existing setups for an easy playing transition.

- Why have you started charging for your software? It was always free before..

We always intended to charge a subscription for software updates - it is a
significant part of our business model and the continued development of EigenD
is simply not possible without it. We had originally intended that this
subscription would be tied to peoples support contracts and begin when these
expired. Several issues led us to wait on this, mainly that Windows was not
supported across the entire range and we felt (and our users had told us) that
our UI was not good enough. With 1.3 we felt that EigenD had reached a
watershed. It was very stable (being used by a lot of people playing live,
sometimes to audiences in the tens of thousands), had a great and highly
configurable user interface in Stage and with 1.4 was finally completely
equivalent across the MacOS and Windows platforms. It seemed a good point
to make a the jump to a new product. EigenD 2.0 has been in parallel development
to the 1.X series for around 18 months and represents a substantial investment
of time, creativity and resources for us. It is a response to a lot of feedback
from players and users and we hope that you enjoy it.

- What's happening with the IOS version of Stage?

That is part of our Autumn plans, we'll keep you posted.

written by: djogon

Wed, 5 Oct 2011 21:58:55 +0100 BST

@mikemilton - "

This is a time of positive departure in future facing directions and it is clear that is happening as we speak.
"

It is the "positiveness" of the departure that we are trying to argue here - not the timing of it.

I love the instrument, I love to play it - However - I use the Eigen D built in instruments ONLY when I am practicing.

To record something - I always use MIDI and record in Logic. I can tweak my instrument later, I can fix or change my performance easier etc.
Having said that - I really would always use MIDI and never really use Eigen D software if I had access to all the buttons on the device through MIDI. (one exception would be loading scales I guess)

I am trying to convey to you that the main strength of Eigenlabs is the instrument itself. Lowering its price and making it available to wider audiences might provide much better results than trying to tax existing users with features that will most likely be irrelevant to many people.

We are all trying to help you out here - we would love to see you grow and improve. Please try to take out comments as valuable input rather than criticism. Everyone is allowed to be wrong once in a while :)

written by: dhjdhj

Wed, 5 Oct 2011 23:31:01 +0100 BST

That's theoretically interesting when it happens. But I still don't understand what EigenD buys me. I have zero understanding of what EigenD buys me that could not have been done with far less development effort by leveraging something like Max from the very beginning.

I believe that most (if not all) of the functionality in EigenD could be built with Max patchers in a few months if that. People have built all sorts of amazing tools with Max. For example, I built a reasonably functional equivalent version of Apple MainStage with Max over a couple of weekends (really) including full support for VSTs. (See http://deskew.com/component/content/article/19/76.html) if you're interested. It's not as pretty, I'm lousy with graphics but it works damn well and I have had zero downtime or crashes.

Creating different scales, sequencers, drum/techno stuff, massaging of data (scaling, mapping, layering, arpeggiators, and so on) are very easy to do in that environment.

I think the Max community (which now includes a lot of Ableton Live users) would be all over the eigenharp if they could use it through Max.

Seems to me you could sell an awful lot of hardware very easily into that world with very little effort.

john said:
Even David (dhjdhj) will get his wish then, he'll be able to make a skeleton EigenD setup that just exports the whole keyboard as one big OSC server and from that into Max if he wishes.

written by: EdisonRex

Fri, 7 Oct 2011 22:34:52 +0100 BST

I don't post here much, and I read through the entire thread before posting. Whew. Lots to digest.

I don't think the subscription model is unreasonable, although I can understand why some would. I would posit that if registered-yet-unsubscribed users were not able to use these forums as a resource, it being the internet and all, another forum would probably spring up. I don't think that would be a bad thing either, as "independent" fora can be very valuable resources. That said, a year isn't anything like enough time to really learn how to both technically play an Alpha, and also learn its architecture and learn to customise it. It's the most complicated, deep, and rewarding instrument I have played ever.

I've paid MOTU a lot of money every couple of years to get updates to DP, since it came out back in the 90s sometime. I choose to do that not because I am afraid of falling behind but because I want the new functionality. They don't work on the subs model, and their updates aren't that expensive (cost of entry is however) but cost is subjective. I also didn't master DP in the first year, although I got good at it and continue to know my way around what I want to do. Their support sucks, too, IMO. But Motunation seems to pick up the slack.

I also pay Cycling74 money every couple of years. Their support is even more whack. Free, but a free for all, and famously intolerant of noob questions. Also not a subscription. But rich and useful if you lurk, a lot like this forum. ;)

These are early days. I'm still both excited by the hardware and the software environment. I am fine working within the EigenD framework, but again that's me, and I just want EigenD to work and not crash (don't I send in the reports?) and I love the fact that it is gaining features to allow me to craft a playing environment that works for me.

I can't argue with reality, especially the part where Eigenlabs needs to survive. I personally think that the subscription model will evolve as fluidly as the rest of the software, though, but in the meantime I'll play the game, and expect more change.

written by: jeanphy

Fri, 18 Nov 2011 01:59:58 +0000 GMT

Hello,
I'm a French guy and I will try to express myself correctly in English. (By the way, Geert, your French is perfect).
I am Ok to pay a subscription for one year. I think a new program, with new sounds, new FX and new VST/AU plugs have a cost.
But after a year if I have to pay again for a year, what will you offer for people to pay again ? I know it's far from today but are you not afraid to lost all the subscribers the second year ?

About the end of 1.X : Is it possible at last,to download in pdf an Alpha guide 1.4 with all the new features. I use a lot of instruments and sometimes I forget the place of functions in my Alpha and sometimes I don't remember what is behind a led and some leds are not referenced in the Aplha quick guide 1.0. ?

When do you think the 1.4 will be available. ?

And I look forward to know what will be in 2.0. When do you inform us of the final content of 2.0 ?

written by: geert

Fri, 18 Nov 2011 07:30:32 +0000 GMT

Hi Jean,

The current testing releases of 1.4 and stable releases of 1.3 already have a fully updated reference guide for all instruments. It's installed together with the EigenD application on your computer, but can also be downloaded from http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/The_Instruments/

Many users are using the 1.4 testing release all the time with very good results, I encourage you to give it a try and report back in case you experience problems. We're now first putting our efforts into getting a first experimental release of 2.0 out and will then tend to the last few minor open issues in 1.4. I'm sorry but we can't give you a firm release date yet for either.

Best regards,

Geert

written by: jeanphy

Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:54:32 +0000 GMT

Thank you and sorry I did not see this update. I watch all the time the wiki update , but this one, I had zapped it. Thank you for your quick answer and continues to make regular videos update. I enjoy them every time. Thanks to you, I bought Evolution Acoustic Guitar - Steel Strings Orange Tree Samples and I connected my little phatty to my alpha ....

I look forward to news about the 2.0

written by: garthpaine

Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:10:20 +0000 GMT

After reading all of the above, I am still rather miffed with this announcement. I bought a Pico and then through my institution bought an Alpha - thats a lot of money invested in Eigenlabs with the faith that the product would evolve to have a good clean, GUI based editing system. Belcanto is very geeky - fine for some of us, not for many and not for many university students who have access to the Alpha. So after spending about 4500 pounds I find I am being asked to pay per year to get hold of proper software to run the instruments.

Firstly I think this is poor because after investing in the instruments, if I want any decent level of control of setup I am forced to pay up

Secondly, educational institutions don;t do subscriptions well - they can find budget for purchase and will look at arguments for major updates, but not subs.

So I guess I have tried to support your development - I think the Eigenharp has great potential - it really needs a proper visual setup to load instruments into slots, establish FX chains etc. Stage goes some fo the way there, but where for instance can I setup the instruments in each slot for a setup with good visual feedback and without using a convoluted set of key commands? These kinds of things are essential.

So as I say, I have supported your development with substantial funds and am now rather disappointed that those of us who have done that - supported your dream and ours of new and innovative controllers, are now being corralled into an ongoing financial commitment without the foundation really being realised.

Frustrated. Garth

written by: NothanUmber

Sun, 20 Nov 2011 00:47:40 +0000 GMT

They better shouldn't have called it a subscription. Better think of it as an upgrade fee for the new major EigenD release 2 with one year of updates after the release of the stable version included and access to the closed beta upfront for early adopters who pay before the stable release version is even ready.
If your instrument purchase is less than a year away you will get EigenD 2 for free nonetheless.
After the year of included updates has elapsed you can wait for the next release that contains interesting stuff for you and jump on the weagon again if desired to get this interesting version and everything that follows in the year after it. If not you can continue to use what you have, like with every software where you buy a certain version, look at the progress of the open source version etc.
Seeing it that way makes imho more sense than the term "subscription" which sounds like a "rent concept" where you can't use the software anymore after the time you payed for has lapsed - what is not the case here.

Workbench being optional falls into the same category than the now optional breath pipe, strap etc. - imho essential parts of a coherent package. But it doesn't hurt to make these optional, just for the case somebody really might not want some of these parts - all others just have to select all "options" that make sense to see what the package really costs them ;)

Greetings,
NothanUmber

written by: garthpaine

Sat, 19 Nov 2011 23:55:40 +0000 GMT

Hi Nothan

Yes I see that as one way to see it - but the Alpha for instance is not cheap and the main way to setup sounds is through a convoluted set of key presses using the Browser - this is really substandard. I purchased the instrument (and the Pico) knowing it was still under development, but expecting to see a proper usable setup interface before being asked to pay again. All of us have intact been beta testers, so receiving the proper interface for free seems just normal practice. Now I feel like a funding source for Eigenlabs rather than a musician who bought an instrument.

Cheers, garth

written by: NothanUmber

Sun, 20 Nov 2011 01:12:55 +0000 GMT

From my personal feeling I would also have preferred when at least the initial release of Workbench and perhaps the fingerer agent for Pico would have been "still included", imho being the initial really "round" package.
(Additional instruments and many EigenD 2 goodies are definitely a "next major version" thing. As I nonetheless would buy those it does not matter for me what is now included in the extra fee package and what not, but I can understand people who consider the Workbench as something that should have been there in the first place.)
Problem with EigenD is of course - it's so open and virtually "demanding for more" that seeing what is existing compared to what could be possible easily leaves the feeling "this is not finished yet" in virtually any state, so it's hard to draw the line between what can be expected and what is definitely additional. (And assuming that we will get everything that Eigenlabs does for free just because we bought something from them once is presumptuous and simply won't happen with a whole bunch of people having to live from what they do here)

written by: Kiichi

Wed, 23 Nov 2011 23:20:57 +0000 GMT

Disclaimer: Please do not take this as an attack in anyway, I just want to speak my mind to let you know how I feel about this and do some constructive critism. I fully understand and support the paid major update thing, it makes sense, but please keep in mind that:

Personally, I feel that the workbench should be included with the free updates. To me my Pico then would be a round thing, a complete basis to work on.
We were kept waiting for it for more than a year now if I am not mistaking. "The workbench will be out soon" seemed to often be the answer for requests on the forum.

From there, paying for the major updates is an understandable thing, but I think that the base must be completet before you expand properly.
If the instruments and other goodys seem worth it, I think I will buy the update.

Thing is that I think the update should really be mainly aimed toward advanced users, but the workbench always seemed like something that made the most sense to new users, making it easier to understand the eigenharp.

I too would really like to see a special program for early eigenharp addopters, as a way of saying thank you for your trust and intrest, lets walk on together. Does not have to be free 2.0, though that would be very much appreciated, but a discount would be nice.

I am someone who after well over a year has just gotten my Pico to do what I originally bought it for (playing stable and recording the pico output in Cubase). I was there at the beginning of the windows release and went through a lot of problems (they and the lack of recording options aside from midi controller even lead me temperarily abandon my Pico out of frustration) and while eigenD is running without big issues now I still need a third party programm (Virtual Audio Cable) to do what I think to be rather basic functionality.
It took me over a year to be able to show my friends what the eigenharp can do in a proper way.

Also I would still love to see softlinks to sf2 files be accepted under windows as my SSD maindrive is constantly full and I simply cannot find the space for the sf2 data. This is also something I would really want to see in the free release.

Please do not take this as an attack in anyway, I just want to speak my mind to let you know how I feel about this and do some constructive critism. I fully understand and support the paid major update thing, it makes sense, but please keep in mind that:

written by: john

Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:39:01 +0000 GMT

Hi Kilchi

Jim is going to take a look at the Windows behaviour with soft links in a week or so. Apparently Windows doesn't treat links as transparent in the same way that MacOS does, so it's likely that they need special handling. If we do this it'll go into the 1.4 branch, probably in the next release.

John

written by: jim

Thu, 24 Nov 2011 15:13:17 +0000 GMT

You can use the command line mklink command. The following works for me:

1. Move the soundfont directory from C:\Program Files (x86)\Eigenlabs somewhere else.

I used an external USB drive, mounted on F: so my soundfont directory ended up as 'f:\sf2\eigenlabs'

You will want to make sure that wherever you put the soundfonts always gets the same drive letter
if its on an external drive.

2. Run cmd as administrator. Type cmd into the windows search box, right click on cmd, and click 'run as administrator'

3. cd \Program Files (x86)\Eigenlabs

4. mklink /d soundfont f:\sf2\eigenlabs

And EigenD still finds the soundfonts.

jim

written by: carvingCode

Thu, 24 Nov 2011 15:53:27 +0000 GMT

Could someone add the 'soundfont at alternate location' post to the wiki?

written by: Kiichi

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 02:27:01 +0000 GMT

Oh Jim, I wanne give you a big, big hug.
Thank you very much for that.
This needs to go into the wiki asap.

That method in general might come in handy with one or two other programms as well.

written by: carvingCode

Sat, 26 Nov 2011 03:05:30 +0000 GMT

FYI: Jim added the soundfont tip to the wiki. Thanks.

written by: faye

Mon, 5 Dec 2011 02:49:15 +0000 GMT

Charging for updates is a difficult thing.

Do I use my instrument enough to justify a continuing investment into it?

Well, last year and this year I spent some money on Reaktor and AAS Strum Bundle, both of them on special offer and they've significantly increased the value I get from my instrument. That makes them a valuable investment.

I keep thinking that it would be nice to own a Tau, but I don't feel that I am good enough with it to justify such a significant outlay when my disposable income has decreased in real terms.

Should I continue to pay a support fee equal to 25% of the original equipment price?

I guess I should ask what I get for the money? Is it going to significantly improve my experience with the Eigenharp? If it included more sounds, more flexibility (course splits on Pico?), let me have more fun for less time investment then I guess I'd be up to paying.

Some people won't make use of all the things you offer and they'll find it hard to justify the cost, but they probably will want to continue to use the instrument they bought if they upgrade their OS - this is the first electronic instrument I've owned that threatens to stop working (despite being physically functional) if you stop paying the company a fee on a yearly basis.

It makes it an even more unwelcoming thought that if I do buy a Tau, I'm only guaranteed a year's use of it for £2000... I was even more disappointed this year when I saw that it no longer comes with a breath pipe for that money.

I guess I'm unusual in that I am just in it to have fun, not to earn money with it, I guess the best value proposition I will see would be getting a second hand Tau. Anyone got one for an affordable sum?

written by: john

Mon, 5 Dec 2011 11:15:35 +0000 GMT

Hi Faye

You really don't need to spend any money, 1.4 is about to enter Stable release, is completely free and will remain so. It is a good release - reliable, well featured and has full parity between Windows and MacOS. If you want to keep your instrument working without cost (and I am fully sympathetic to this desire) then simply keep using it and don't upgrade the computer on which it runs. If you upgrade your computer you will often find that all sorts of applications need new versions, versions that have required sometimes considerable work on the part of somebody to produce, so those upgrades will cost money. So stay away from operating system upgrades and you will not incur any costs ever, which is the same rule for 50% of the stuff that makes noises today, every DAW, AU or VST included.

The new EigenD 2.0 is a 'nice to have' - it has new features and content but you really don't need it to play. It is on fact more like a new product as setups will not be compatible from 1.4 and it is probably best to think of it like that - its main purpose is to enable our other new product, Workbench. If you buy it you also get another years support included, so I think the price represents good value for money.

Between the cost of actually writing the software and supporting it please take it from me that £75 (which is what we get, the government takes the rest from you as tax) is excellent value - I doubt we'll break even on it, never mind actually make anything. I have lost track of the number of pieces of software that I have bought that I can no longer run because they were not maintained through various operating system upgrades and changes. This was usually because the vendor could not make any money from the maintenance and I have now come to realise that this may be a generic problem - lots of people seem to be quite upset about the idea of paying anything towards the (often substantial) cost of such work. My simple advice now to people is 'if you don't want the cost, don't incur it - leave your computer alone'. We don't make the rules here, Microsoft and Apple do and they sadly don't trouble themselves to ask us when they mess with their operating systems.

On a final note, I think we've done about as much as is humanly possible with respect to keeping the Eigenharps viable in the future at the lowest possible cost to you the player. We've released the core system into the public domain and have begun to foster an independent development community, which is surely the best guarantor of longevity any player could hope for. We released free upgrades for more than two years, providing some of the earliest players with over a years worth of work at our end for free, during which time we also provided completely free ongoing support. And we've worked as hard as possible to keep the cost of future upgrades down. We cannot possibly do more and have the remotest hope of staying in business.

BTW, my apologies that we removed the Tau breath pipe. We realised that quite a few people weren't using theirs (you'll note that it's also gone as standard from the Alpha) and we needed to save some costs (we had a margin of about $100 on a Tau a year ago, and that margin is supposed to pay for support, software and everything else, so you can see that it wasn't nearly enough) so we decided to make it optional. We'll probably make the hard case optional soon as well for the same reasons. We've had some success in reducing the parts costs on some components, but this is being largely outweighed at the moment by rising costs in materials - it's a tough life manufacturing things at the moment and those changes reflect that unfortunately.

On the Tau front we also have an announcement coming shortly that might well interest you - keep an eye on the homepage over the next couple of weeks.

John

written by: faye

Mon, 5 Dec 2011 15:57:59 +0000 GMT

Thank you for the reply, John, I understand why you need to charge something for this, however, it's simply not practical to "not upgrade" a computer and stay with an old version of the software unless you also disconnect it from any network. This instantly reduces the computer to the specific purpose and with that purpose being music synthesis, specific sounds eventually. It means that to make the Eigenharp an actual instrument/appliance you need to reserve a computer to the appropriate spec. I was hopeful that the "Open Source" would allow drivers to be kept up to date but it seems that vital components are missing from that (particularly for pico).

I'll keep an eye on the homepage as you suggest, but much as I want to support a company from my old college town, I don't use it enough to get the value out of it within its software lifespan.

Perhaps you can consider just releasing driver (the bits you can't build yourself) updates at a minimal cost without other support?

I really hope your manufacturing costs come down and I do wish I could justify a Tau...

written by: EdisonRex

Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:10:21 +0000 GMT

And on a similar note, not to be too bitchy about it but last week I stumped up for a 12 month Pro support subscription, which I got a lovely receipt for, but my profile hasn't been updated so I can actually use it (which in concrete terms means downloading 2.0 and workbench). How long does it take to get it activated? Is there something else I need to do? There wasn't any sort of code issued, and the website's profile update only implies that I can activate a new instrument and my current Alpha support expired last July. I guess my issue with that is that I don't know when the clock starts ticking again.

And what about bug reporting for 1.4-stable? Are those worth doing? I reported one this week (Stage losing connection with EigenD as soon as I try to edit something in Stage), does my lack of support subscription and being out of warranty mean I shouldn't bother? I read through this whole thread and I didn't see anything (granted you're talking about 2.0 here) but if the "free" stable version has problems how do we get them fixed/debugged/understood/worked around? or did I miss something.

paul

Please log in to join the discussions