Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Request for comments/ideas

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

I gave you advice earlier on 1.4.12, Look back a few posts.

written by: john

Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:20:51 +0000 GMT

We've just made some changes in the documentation and organised things better by consolidating all the main official information into one area. Now that it's all in one place it's starting to look a lot more complete and it's certainly becoming more passably comprehensive. In the spirit of developing this further I'd like to solicit opinions from everyone as to exactly what we should be adding next. We're really interested in hearing from people who recently started playing in particular - we've added a lot of more advanced information in the last few months (look in the 2.0 pages) but I wonder how people are getting on who are just starting out?

Just as a heads up to prime the discussion, I know there are several people who think we should produce a printed manual but we're really not likely to do this for one main reason - its really hard to keep those up to date - every version of EigenD is improved and re-making a printed manual is way too expensive for a company of our size every six months. And a manual that is wrong is worse than no manual in my opinion. So we've made a fairly big commitment to online documentation/manuals (look at the new Workbench section for an example of how we're developing this), and recently we added versioning to that so that it can be kept fully up to date. There's a place for printable PDF documentation in that though, so don't let my aversion to a giant book put you off suggesting some.

So, what would be your next best document or section to see?

John

Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:56:50 +0000 GMT

I think the newly organized documentation is a huge step in the right direction. It will make it simpler for all of us, no matter our level of expertise, find what we need.

One thing you might want to do is make prominent note of what version of the documentation we're looking at. The current '1.3/1.4/2.0' is really small and those especially new to the site may not notice.

But, thanks for the efforts in expanding and organizing the docs!

Randy

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 9 Jan 2012 21:34:15 +0000 GMT

In many circumstances it's perhaps easiest to have good examples. The two setups that come with the current package are already rather educative, please go on along this line! Some really simple ones that are all about showing the possibilities of a specific agent and other more complex setups that show what can be done by combining various agents. Exploring can provide a deeper, better memorizable experience than just reading and trying to keep all aspects in the head before doing the first step.

Together with my older feature wish that you can add comments to individual agent instances (and not only types) a set of "explained" examples that cover a wide variety of use cases (where ideally every existing agent is used in a usual and somewhere else not-so-usual context) would fulfill my optimal vision of a tutorial. (If you add descriptions to agent types perhaps also first try to complete the online help, so jumping back and forth between Workbench and the Wiki for looking up agent descriptions is reduced)
As a first step: e.g. a setup with a strummer (the perhaps most undocumented agent?) that uses keys to "strum" could be really helpful.

written by: EdisonRex

Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:08:49 +0000 GMT

I go to the wiki a lot to work out how to do things, mainly because I am after a specific item and I'm not sure where (if at all) in the videos the things I am looking for might be.

Some specifications might be helpful in places. A couple of places I've run aground recently were in the apple loop player and the impulse files. The documentation isn't really clear sometimes on the limits (which apparently exist, although it's unclear what they really are).

For example, in the convolver documentation it doesn't really say (at least in 1.4) what to use for an impulse file (and impulse file isn't an index topic). Somewhere in these forums I found some reference to loading impulse files and went off to a referenced site to find some. Of course, some things one downloads won't work. After being less and less surprised by abrupt cessation of sound and the apple crash popup, I was able to deduce there is some limit on the actual size, or structure, or something, with impulse wav files. Still not sure what but if I keep them small and exactly the format of the stock ones they usually work.

Apple loops are another one of those. The documentation is slightly more helpful:

Drop your Apple Loops (in .aif or .aiff format) into the ~/Library/Eigenlabs/Loop folder.

Nevermind the .caf format (I did figure out how to convert those after a pleasant couple of hours reloading EigenD) but there really isn't any documentation on the limits or at least constraints with using them. Nothing practical, in any case. I don't know if it is the goal of the wiki to provide such information, but for advanced intermediate level Eigenharp players who might wish to do such things, it helps to have those things published... somewhere.

I don't really need printed documentation, and a pdf of the current version of the layout with some scribblings on it is what I usually work with. But making the wiki more useful for practical things (what would I use a particular agent for, with an example of the most common application) is what invariably I am searching for when I want to change something in my setup.

This isn't to say that the wiki is useless - far from it - it is indispensable. But you did ask for ideas on improvements, and the area of examples and constraints are what I run into grief over when using it.

written by: keyman

Wed, 11 Jan 2012 05:08:57 +0000 GMT

The times change, move the wills (rough translations of Luís de Camões)

I really don't have nothing against paper printed manuals, but truly they don't make sense in this present times (referring mostly about ever expanding EigenD)

We cannot detach a computer (laptop, macmini, whatever ) from our instruments so...the wiki is "our" best resource of documentation. (ideas on making this info offline?? and syncable??)

I also appreciate all the effort in completing all the agents description, and the "connection" there is between wiki/ stage and now workbench (where we can have a brief info)

Adding more tutorials to workbench is absolutely invaluable, like as example setups, or mini setups.
Starting the live seminars with G+ would be awesome as well (recording them and transcribing also, for later reference)

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:29:21 +0000 GMT

@EdisonRex

I'm going to update the Agent Reference to include the supported file formats for the Convolver and the Drummer. The Convolver really shouldn't crash EigenD when given a file format it doesn't support (yes, it needs WAV's and we'll document what kind and perhaps make it more flexible at the same time) but we had a look this morning and you're quite right it does, so there's a bug filed about that now and it'll get fixed. I hope that you haven't had any crashes involved with the Drummer, this should be a lot more robust in the face of unsuitable file formats - if you have had problems could you please let us know?

Our ambition now is to keep producing more tutorials in the style Alastair has established in the new Workbench manual pages. Using the Convolver would be a good candidate, as would working with the Drummer and we'll keep this in our sights. It's been very interesting actually writing the tutorials - the very process has flushed out a steady stream of minor inconsistencies and bugs as we go along which makes producing them quite slow as we have to go and fix/improve EigenD and it's Agents at the same time, but it's proving very worthwhile in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback - it's greatly appreciated.

@NothanUmber - the Strummer is not yet a supported Agent, hence it's lack of docs. There are some changes we need to make to it before we'll be including it as a formal part of 2.0 as we don't think it works well enough yet. The in-app help is now derived from the reference Agent pages btw (at build time), so there's no reason in principle that it cannot begin to include much richer information - we'll be working on improving this over the next year and will keep your comments in mind as we do - I completely agree that links to worked examples for each of the Agents would be good.

John

written by: NothanUmber

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:26:53 +0000 GMT

john said:
the Strummer is not yet a supported Agent

Given that compatibility of the experimental versions is not guaranteed we could say no agent at all is "supported" yet ;) But sure, if you know this changes in the next weeks it's not necessary to document now.

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:16:24 +0000 GMT

>>
Our ambition now is to keep producing more tutorials in the style Alastair has established in the new Workbench manual pages.
<<

Perfect! I'm sure as you continue with this, you'll find it easier/less time consuming to create them. Benefits to your user community.

Randy

written by: EdisonRex

Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:43:42 +0000 GMT

I hope that you haven't had any crashes involved with the Drummer, this should be a lot more robust in the face of unsuitable file formats - if you have had problems could you please let us know?

Well, I did, but I've learned what did it. Basically using Audacity to convert loops, don't put metadata into the exported wav file before you import into Apple Loop Utility, as it quite reliably crashes EigenD. The particular workflow I have been using requires a step as a wav file before conversion to .aif otherwise Apple Loop Utility gets uncooperative too. In any case it appeared to be the files themselves, despite Apple Loop Utility's ability to read, play and loop them. As soon as I stopped putting metadata into the wav export, the resulting aif apple loops stopped crashing EigenD.

I appreciate the effort in checking these sorts of things. I've since spent a lot more time with the Convolver (I'm working on something I want to perform with) and I've now imported a pile of Apple Loops where I was using a completely separate program to run them before and now have them integrated into my Eigenvironment. It saves about 30% of the CPU and 475mb of RAM to do so, meaning it's worth it to me.

Anyway thanks

-Paul

written by: stbohne

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:46:15 +0000 GMT

I like self documenting interfaces. For example, the parameters in the routing configuration dialog could be explained right in the application. Just put a small question mark or "i" symbol that users can click to show the help text. I've seen this system in Jenkins and I like it a lot.

The workbench tutorials are fun. I can't wait to see the next ones.

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:12:20 +0000 GMT

@cogreslab

Quoted from this thread:

" So, let's get on with it, and start a proper manual for Pico. The current community is far too small compared with the potential of the instrument. Here are some ground rules suggested: 1. no technical terms unrelated to music. Or if these are really necessary, a glossary for lay readers. 2. A troubleshooting section listing all possible things that could go wrong. For example, the Windows version of EigenBrowser bears no relation to the screenshots shown in the tutorials. 3. Why doesnt Pico 2 work? On my instrument I can only seem to use Pico 1, and this does not operate the cello or the clarinet. 4. How to link Stage controls to sliders other than the knobs which are difficult to adjust on PCs. The list is long but these are a few starters."

The suggestion for a glossary of terms is an excellent one and we'll try and put one of those together in the next few weeks. We've coined quite a few terms over the last year or so as we've got 2.0 and Workbench ready and it would be good to see specific definitions of exactly what is meant by them all assembled in one place. Could anyone comment on terms or word usage that they found confusing?

A troubleshooting section is something that would be a very good community contribution if you have the time to get it started. There would be no better people to start it off than those who have had the very troubles they write about. Here would be a great place for it - it's writable by anyone and if you put some stuff in there I'll change the main title to make it obvious to everyone that it's not just tips, tricks and howto's anymore.

Regarding how to change your knobs to sliders, this is already described in the Stage documentation here. If you read the section about editing, you will see that you can simply click on a widget with the edit tool and change it to a slider in the selection box. It is worth reading the documentation - there is now a lot of information in there. We have been working steadily on it for the last 12 months and it is becoming passably comprehensive as a reference. It needs work, but it's steadily getting that.

The lack of congruence between the video tutorial screen shots and the look and feel of some of the windows is not satisfactory, I agree. I have posted on this subject before, and it's a matter of cost more than anything else. The video tutorials are very expensive to produce. Since we are right in the middle of making a dramatic set of changes to the whole system (with 2.0) that will certainly lead to substantial changes in the way the instruments are learned we have been holding off of remaking these. I am also becoming fairly convinced that, with the advent of Workbench, the main Factory Setups will probably not be the future way in which a lot of people use and play the Eigenharps. They are quite 'all singing all dancing' and have a lot of features and functions built in, functions that many people never use. We have been finding here that since it has become so easy to make setups we have been making much lighter, smaller and specific setups, and lots of them. This has substantial advantages in speed of loading (I am using a tiny, quite playable setup right now that loads in less than 3 seconds) and in memory usage. Given the high degree of flux that this is in right now, spending tens of thousands of pounds producing new, slightly more current video tutorials that will be out of date inside three months is probably a bit stupid. It seems a much better thing to wait a few months while we all figure out what it really means to be able to build a specific playing setup from scratch in less than five minutes.

I'm interested to hear from any early 2.0 users about their views on this as well..

John

written by: mikemilton

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:42:38 +0000 GMT

Ok a few thoughts.

As much as I enjoyed Nick (and I really did), it is likely that a slightly enhanced getting started guide would be much more cost effective. Also, there actually are many more people willing and able to assist new folk now (certainly than when I started). Looking back, I would have been just as happy to have access to a user base than the videos although that might not be for everyone, of course. (open sourced support??)

I disagree about the notion that the factory (or, simply large) setups are less desirable as a result of 2 + workbench. If only because workbench is not something everyone will buy.

Also, While it may be true for some people in some circumstances want small; my own playing almost always uses alpha 3 with a lot of stuff loaded because that lets me load everything I need to go away from my computer and play a large variety of songs without ever returning. That would be particularly true in playing song sets with others fitting into a variety of roles.

It might be interesting to have a factory setup that was, in fact, designed for song sets (splits for each that were less a layout thing than a combination of sounds). For example, having a few addable 'rigs' that were full splits like A3 split 2 or 3 that could be added to a setup where each was pre-configured for a song in a set might be quite useful. It would be nice if these had their own drummers (and, possibly, audio rigs) as well as sharing instances in the overall environment.

Perhaps the more accurate observation is that the factory setups are more an example / model / starting point than a destination.

As an aside, having 'split-rigs' would let a person build as large (or small) a setup as they wish.

written by: cogreslab

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:51:27 +0000 GMT

john said:
We've just made some changes in the documentation and organised things better by consolidating all the main official information into one area. Now that it's all in one place it's starting to look a lot more complete and it's certainly becoming more passably comprehensive. In the spirit of developing this further I'd like to solicit opinions from everyone as to exactly what we should be adding next. We're really interested in hearing from people who recently started playing in particular - we've added a lot of more advanced information in the last few months (look in the 2.0 pages) but I wonder how people are getting on who are just starting out?

Just as a heads up to prime the discussion, I know there are several people who think we should produce a printed manual but we're really not likely to do this for one main reason - its really hard to keep those up to date - every version of EigenD is improved and re-making a printed manual is way too expensive for a company of our size every six months. And a manual that is wrong is worse than no manual in my opinion. So we've made a fairly big commitment to online documentation/manuals (look at the new Workbench section for an example of how we're developing this), and recently we added versioning to that so that it can be kept fully up to date. There's a place for printable PDF documentation in that though, so don't let my aversion to a giant book put you off suggesting some.

John

First many thanks for the prompt response to my woes! Wayne has spent much time trying to help, and I shudder to think what his workload would be if there were a million Pico users out there. It underlines my suggestion for a basic manual to prevent use of his valuable time in making individual responses. Yes, I vaguely recall getting the cello and clarinet to work once. But forgot what I did at the time, and have not succeeded since despite hours of effort!

The cost of educational videos need not be high. I regularly film gigs with the nigh broadcast standard camcorders now available for about £100 (eg full HD from Panasonc for only £130) and use Windows Movie Editor and Serif Movieplus X5 to cobble the takes together during winter evenings. You dont have to be Cecil B de Mille to make a cheapo documentary these days. Indeed. even my SamsungS2 Mobile phone has great definition and some simple video editing built in.

Don't wait, John: take a leaf out of IBM's motto: "Do it now!"

Best, Roger

PS I will write down and post later my efforts and problems in trying to get a clarinet/cello sound out of my Pico! And will search through the online info to see what advice is there. First question would be: can Windows 7 accept *.sf2 files?

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:40:56 +0000 GMT

I agree with Mike that the larger setups should still be a part of what is standard with eigenD. Many people buying these instruments want to play music and not diddle around with all of the underpinnings. Loading a setup that gives access to all of the basic features and access to many various instruments is desired. Building smaller setups may be neat for special purposes, but only after players have the larger more complete setups will they have any idea what is available.

Even though I purchased a Pro subscription, I don't use 2.0 yet because 1) I don't want to spend time building a setup that probably won't work in an update, 2) there's no factory setups, and 3) I use my Eigenharps to play music, not for testing existential technical possibilities. 1.4.x works fine for my musical needs.

I've never bought the notion that Eigenlabs couldn't create solid documentation because the software was changing (that always sounded more a product of feature creep having taken control of the project). The 1.4.x Factory setups (including the MIDI-only setup) are quite passable and documentation for those could be built out. 1.4.x is after all going to be the widely distributed version for the foreseeable future. That should be the standard Eigenlabs builds its player base on, i.e.: sell instruments that are immediately playable and well documented and you'll be more apt to grow player base. In my opinion, thinking you're going to attract a growing player base with the tweakability of 2.x is forgetting why people buy musical instruments.

@Roger - Yes, SF2 fonts can be used in Windows (that's the format the piano and bass patches on the Pico are distributed.) Open the 'Eigenlabs' folder in your 'My Documents' folder. You should see a 'Soundfonts' folder. Drop additional SF2 files there. Then read the starter guide on how to change Sampler instruments, or visit the section of the wiki here:http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.4/EigenD_Instruments/.

One hint: Break your questions about using the Instrument up into a separate post in the Pico or Software forum. Someone will be more apt to find it and be able to offer a suggestion.

Randy

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:08:26 +0000 GMT

We're planning to build and ship direct functionally identical (or very near to) equivalents of the existing Factory setups in 2.0, so please don't worry that these are going to evaporate in the near future. They're nice setups and we spent a lot of time developing them in the year before launch. A lot of people have got comfortable playing them. My point is really that we are already experiencing some changes in the way we're using EigenD due to the ease of building setups and I think this may well have an impact on the optimal learning process in the future. I can see an awful lot more 'standard setups' starting to kick around in the near future - I'm already mulling over several. We may well add some new Factory setups soon.

@Roger - The cost of producing tutorial videos sadly has little to do with equipment. We already own high quality camera, lighting and editing equipment. It's the time and the people. That kind of tutorial style thing takes a very long time to get right (it took me, Nick and Richard probably 4 complete record/edit cycles each three days long for each of those you see now, and that was after we wrote the scripts which took an age as well). They are just expensive to make unless you're prepared to put up with something seriously inferior, either that or one doesn't count the time it takes, not an option for me I'm afraid as I have to pay people so that they can eat. We will get to making new ones, but I don't want to spend that money until I'm confident we'll get at least a couple of years of mileage out of them.

@Randy - the suggestion to work on documenting 1.4 rather than 2.0 is probably not a particularly good use of peoples time. We won't be formally supporting 1.4 after 2.0 enters stable and I do think that the cool new stuff coming in 2.0 will make it very compelling for players moving forward. We at Eigenlabs certainly won't be spending any time at all documenting 1.4 from now on, all our work will be going into 2.0. We've already starting spending quite a bit of time on this, witness the new Workbench reference and tutorials. This isn't to stop anyone doing so, but I do feel that such effort will end up being somewhat wasted in the future, which would be a great shame.

I'm right with you on the 'play music and not diddle about' thing by the way. I'm so with you on that that I didn't bother with the 'diddle about' bit at all when we launched and was roundly punished by a large number of irate customers as a result. We've just spent two hard years making it possible to tinker with setups easily (in response to overwhelming customer feedback) and I am very much looking forward to getting back to the stuff that makes playing them more fun now that we've nailed that one down. Or, more correctly, 'nearly nailed that one down'.

John

BTW, a lot of words are getting written in these forums about the lack of this or that documentation. I hate to say this, but if we all spent that time actually writing some stuff, that might be a bit more useful. There are only four of us doing software over here (and some of those part time, this is not a big company) and we spent quite a bit of time putting the Wiki in our website because everyone said 'we want to write stuff and help out with the documentation' then absolutely nobody did. Still haven't, over a year later! Wouldn't take much, if everyone did a little, to improve the Eigenharp documentation to the point that it's the best instrument documentation in the world. I've had a look around, the competition is not fierce.

Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:51:58 +0000 GMT

john said:

GLOSSARY

I would like start this glossary, so that technical or other words can be looked up here by beginners like myself. I am going to put words/phrases I don't understand here hoping that the experts will provide/ correct a definition. I appreciate that definitions may already appear somewhere else.
Agent?
eigenCommander?
Pitch bending controller?
eigenD? what does the D stand for?
Main mode button
Metronome button
Octave up button
Octave down button
Scroll buttons? I have seen no effect after pressing these.
Green light.
Amber light
Red light
All lights flashing? when this happens, why?
FX control
Inline fx control
Scheduler control
sampler 1
Sampler 2
sampler 3
Audio unit 1
Audio unit 2
cello control
clarinet control
Midi out xcontrol
Pico 1
Pico 2

Scaler?
Summer ?

John

Mon, 20 Feb 2012 01:10:59 +0000 GMT

@Roger - The cost of producing tutorial videos sadly has little to do with equipment. We already own high quality camera, lighting and editing equipment. It's the time and the people. That kind of tutorial style thing takes a very long time to get right (it took me, Nick and Richard probably 4 complete record/edit cycles each three days long for each of those you see now, and that was after we wrote the scripts which took an age as well). They are just expensive to make unless you're prepared to put up with something seriously inferior, either that or one doesn't count the time it takes, not an option for me I'm afraid as I have to pay people so that they can eat. We will get to making new ones, but I don't want to .

BTW, a lot of words are getting written in these forums about the lack of this or that documentation. I hate to say this, but if we all spent that time actually writing some stuff, that might be a bit more useful. There are only four of us doing software over here (and some of those part time, this is not a big company) and we spent quite a bit of time putting the Wiki in our website because everyone said 'we want to write stuff and help out with the documentation' then absolutely nobody did. Still haven't, over a year later! Wouldn't take much, if everyone did a little, to improve the Eigenharp documentation to the point that it's the best instrument documentation in the world. I've had a look around, the competition is not fierce.

there is scope for making ENG type videos on the fly. I did one today just using my Samsung S 2 to illustrate the difficulties I am confronting in trying to get the cello to play. It took me half an hour. I can now upload it to YouTube so that you can see the problem, accepting that it's too large to email. But it could be put into drop box. Then someone with a camcorder or smart phone could just as easily film the correct procedure. By way of reply. It then becomes a generic answer to the question, and bet im not the only one having trouble making cello and clarinet work with Windows 7 . No one is expecting art here! Just information.

Mon, 20 Feb 2012 01:25:51 +0000 GMT

I frequently make small videos of local jazz and blues gigs. I haven't got expensive equipment, and they are hardly of professional quality but it's a way of keeping jazz heads upto date with local gigs. These certainly don't take three days to compile, but they get the job done. You see a lot of this sort of stuff on YouTube, made usually in the performer's kitchen. Without any considered scripts or replays.
I would dearly like to see a start to finish video exposition of what buttons to press, and in what order, to get my Pico playing the cello (and clarinet). The existing video tutorial procedure does not work. Or some steps have been omitted from the Windows 7 version, perhaps.

Mon, 20 Feb 2012 01:42:00 +0000 GMT

Here's my first attempt in setting down the procedure for getting pico to play cello.

The cello set up button is fourth up from the bottom, on the right.
First depress the main mode key then the cello button then let go the main mode key this turns the cello key light green. That should be you need to do, I.e. the same procedure as for piano (also called sampler three) , except that for the piano you press the third key down on the right, not the fourth key up.

Sadly, that procedure doesn't work. Or at least there is no sound coming out when you try to play, nor from the slider.
Let's try another approach then. With alchemy you press the fourth button on the left after depressing the main mode key, then the fourth on the right, so let's try pressing the fourth down on the left with main mode key depressed, then the cello button (fourth up on the right)
Nope, that doesn't give any sound either. So maybe the volume is turned right down? Trouble is, where's the cello volume key? nothing seems to change the volume that I have yet discovered. So let's revisit the eigenharp pico video tutorial. To be continued.

written by: GoneCaving

Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:36:48 +0000 GMT

Most if not all of those concepts are already documented in the wiki.

Cello: Press and hold the mode key, and then the 6th key on the left (as you look down the instrument with the breath pipe near you), then release the mode key. Play by holding a key and simultaneously "bowing" using the breath pipe or strip controller. (While I doubt this is the problem, there is a volume key for each instrument in the instrument controls. In the case of the cello, accessed by: hold mode key and press 4th on the right, and release. Then hold the secondary mode key (1st right) and press the key corresponding to the instrument (6th on the left in the case of the cello), and release. The second key on the left then allows you to change the volume). Alternatively, bring up the Stage application, and contrl the volume from there!

EigenD & Agents: See Intro to EigenD

EigenCommander: The tool used to control the instrument settings via Belcanto. See The Belcanto Intro.

Sampler 1/2/3, audio unit 1/2: These are the agents for the sampler (soundfont) and AU instruments. The number refers to the instance, so 3 samplers, and 2 audio units.

Please log in to join the discussions