General Discussion: Updating 1.4 & 2

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

Hey, the easy ones are always the best. Thanks again

m

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 14:11:11 +0000 GMT

Just a quick suggestion.

Would it be possible / easy to have updates to major versions *not* overwrite the other such that the last 1.4 and the last 2.0 remain in the dock?

It is a small thing but it would prevent the need to drag the other version back each time

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:29:14 +0000 GMT

I have all versions of 1.4 (1.3 as well) in my Eigenlabs folder. New versions are added to the folder in their own folder. (Windows).

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:22:59 +0000 GMT

yes... but on mac, the current version is loaded directly into the main applications directory and added to the doc.

Until now, this has been quite convenient principally because there was little need to use prior versions.

However, now it would (for me at least) be easier if the last release of each of V1 and V2 were in the main directory and the doc (and had different names)

written by: cogreslab

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:34:28 +0000 GMT

Ive been trying for six weeks to get my Pico to work. I have never got the cello or clarinet to work. And as for the others (piano, bass guitar, and synth, they are subject to frequent crashes. I see that many other posts also report crashes. And quite a few ask for more adequate manuals than just four scanty video tutorials. Is anyone co ordinating the compilation of a decent manual, because Eigenlabs seem to be acting like a fire brigade, just jumping from problem to problem.

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:24:33 +0000 GMT

Hi cogreslab - I am willing to host such an undertaking. I've reserved a couple domain names which would work very well for this purpose. Having a user-created manual plus forums makes sense. Unfortunately, most of the active posters feel everything should remain here, even though what is housed here is less than adequate.

Until there's a larger user base or larger interest from the current community, this will be the only source.

Randy

written by: NothanUmber

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:36:28 +0000 GMT

1.4.X will remain stable now but most likely won't get any new updates beside bugfixes anymore, so most are concentrating on 2.x now - which is still much in flux. (many from the community have very limited free time so we have to see what has a long-term-value for us all and won't be outdated too soon. Putting much effort into something that nobody wants anymore once it's finished is frustrating.)
For major documentation projects it's presumably best to at least wait for 2.0 testing which should be out pretty soon (from there on it is much more likely that things will be added rather than dramatically changed).

There is in fact some documentation effort going on in the wiki which also contains non-video text-and-pictures material:
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/The_Official_Documentation (e.g. the tutorials in http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Workbench/ are a nice start)

In which areas would you specifically like to have more or better documentation?

Your problem with the cello or clarinet sounds strange - did you blow into the breath pipe for the clarinet and "bow" on the strip for the cello?
Regarding crashes:
* Do you have these problems with the 1.4.11 version?
* is this occuring with the unmodified Pico standard setup without any additional VST or AU plugins loaded?
* How much RAM does you computer have?
* do you have a special operating system configuration (e.g. did you disable the swap file)?
* do you have occasional crashes with most audio software? (Then it could e.g. be the audio driver).

Out of curiosity: Would you be interested in buying a Basestation-like box with built in sounds and audio outputs that "just works", so you just have to connect this to your Eigenharp, switch it on, play (and optionally connect via WLAN with e.g. a tablet to modify values with a web browser based Stage web-app and to create user setups with a web-Workbench)? And would that be worth ~the price of a Pico to you (so the Pico get's two times as expensive)? (This product is not existing, just interested in whether people would like something like that - I most likely would buy that if I really like a hand full of these factory sounds.)

written by: GoneCaving

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:31:11 +0000 GMT

Randy, I think it makes more sense for materials on the instruments to be hosted here since that's the first place most people will look for them. However, I don't believe that precludes the development of a user manual outside of the Eigenlabs domain. I'd be interested to hear more on what people think should be in the user manual. Perhaps we can come up with an outline? If there's an easy way to collaborate on this, I'd be happy to chip in.

In my experience the tutorials and wiki docs were enough to get me started on the pico (seems like a long time ago!!). I think the only thing I really struggled with was the inline/send FX.

cogreslab, I'd have to say that I've found the recent releases pretty stable. I don't think I've _ever_ had issues with the cello or clarinet. It would help if, as NothanUmber has suggested, you can provide more details on your platform, and what exactly you're experiencing.

D

written by: GoneCaving

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:40:56 +0000 GMT

BTW, cogreslab, have you looked at the seminars? The quality of the video isn't great, but there's a lot of good information in them.

written by: geert

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:32:33 +0000 GMT

Just to reiterate my previous comments on G+, EigenZone has been created for just that purpose when I was a user and not working for Eigenlabs. Both the Wiki and the Blog are set up for multi-user contribution and collaboration. It's a very reliable system, hosted on Amazon EC2 with constant backups, etc etc. The Wiki just needs you to register to be able to contribute and for the blog you can send me a message after registering so that I can enable the proper access.

I do think it's a good idea to build out documented community knowledge, but I think it would be even better if they were centralized when several people are contributing to them. Nowadays (this wasn't the case when I started EigenZone), there's a editable wiki at Eigenlabs. It makes even more sense to just contribute there. Creating even another 'community site' wouldn't make much difference I think, since very little has been contributed to EigenZone over the past years.

written by: john

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:21:14 +0000 GMT

@cogreslab

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems. I know that Neil has spent quite some time with you on the phone trying to get you started and when I spoke to him this morning (I've just reviewed your support contact records) he said that the last time you spoke he left you making noises with the Clarinet and 'Cello and that he hasn't heard from you since. I know that you had to upgrade your laptop from 1G of memory and that you had some virus problems that were making it behave strangely. Are you still having issues? If you are having problems as basic as with the samplers, Clarinet and 'Cello then this does point to something a bit more fundamental wrong in your environment than something with EigenD - that stuff hasn't had a serious bug reported in a long while. There are a lot of people playing Pico's on Windows these days without any problems at all - most of the reported problems seem to come from the use of third party VST's, quite a few of which are not entirely stable and are quite beyond our control, either that or inadequate hardware.

In the meantime, please use the bug reporter if you experience problems - we get sent a whole load of useful diagnostic information when you do and if you are experiencing a bug that we can fix then we'll do our best to fix it. It's a bit hard to do so without a bug report though.

BTW, if by 'Eigenlabs seem to be acting like a fire brigade, just jumping from problem to problem' you mean fixing bugs as they come up in as timely a manner as we can, then, yes, that's exactly what we try and do. I can't apologise for that, it seems a good response to peoples problems to me. We manage our bug tracker quite assiduously and problems that might impact live performance always get a very high priority here. Thankfully the bug counts are low at the moment which has enabled us to concentrate on getting 2.0 through the experimental phase towards testing and adding steadily to the documentation for it at the same time. We're still doing some bug fixing against the 1.4 release (there will be another release fairly soon with some fixes against some reported problems in it) but it's not consuming that much time at the moment.

In response to everyone talking about contributing documentation, we have an area on the Wiki for this if you want to use it here. Some areas of the Wiki are 'read only' as they're for documentation that is 'official' (it needs to be right as the in app help is derived from it too) but there can be any amount of writable pages. If you see an edit button on a page, you can write it. Please go ahead and make whatever pages you need, it would be great to see some community contributed input. You guys are the ones who have a direct experience of learning and there's no better way of knowing what needs to be explained. That's exactly why we made a Wiki for our documentation in the first place.

John

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:48:46 +0000 GMT

>>
In response to everyone talking about contributing documentation, we have an area on the Wiki for this if you want to use it here.
<<

Thanks for info, John. I had not read that the wiki was open again for editing. Last I tried, there was some reason why it was closed. Good to know.

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:43:09 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy

You're right, for a while sections of the Wiki were read only and it all felt a bit random as to which bits and some of the bits that were definitely shouldn't have been. This was because of a bug when we introduced versions (which we really needed to do when we made it is the actual authoritative source for different release documentation) - versioned pages all became read only by default. This was far from satisfactory and Jim did some work on it late last year to separate the 'read only' property from the version data. Much of the Wiki is now writable again, even when versioned. Anything which has an edit link can be written. Please be careful to edit the right version for the software you're talking about - I've made that mistake a good few times now, it's easy to do. Versions are copies, so editing 1.4 for example won't change 2.0 and vice versa. Once a new version exists changes won't propagate forward, so it's usually best to work on the latest one. If you find something that you think should be writable and isn't please let me know.

John

written by: cogreslab

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:55:46 +0000 GMT

carvingCode said:
Hi cogreslab - I am willing to host such an undertaking. I've reserved a couple domain names which would work very well for this purpose. Having a user-created manual plus forums makes sense. Unfortunately, most of the active posters feel everything should remain here, even though what is housed here is less than adequate.

Until there's a larger user base or larger interest from the current community, this will be the only source.

Randy

I suppose that this is a chicken and egg situation, but there is no need to disturb the techno talk forums if a manual is assembled on a different domain. All i can say as a musician keen to see this venture succeed is that many are being turned off from buying a Pico (first step n this water) by the absence of helpful manuals on how to use it.. We all know what its like trying to understand a new software program, and can spend hours of wasted time on it when a few seconds advice from someone familiar with it can speed up the learning curve.

AS for me I have about 700 musical friends around the globe who are mildly interested in my experiences with Eigenlabs. I am pretty sure that if I could tell them that there is a useful manual available to help get to know the instrument it would lead to more sales of Pico and subsequently more of Alpha etc instruments. Also thence more public exposure. Technoheads sitting with their bone and growling at anyone trying to take it from them will eventually lead to the demise of Eigenlabs imho. by blocking honest but layperson interest.

So, let's get on with it, and start a proper manual for Pico. The current community is far too small compared with the potential of the instrument. Here are some ground rules suggested: 1. no technical terms unrelated to music. Or if these are really necessary, a glossary for lay readers. 2. A troubleshooting section listing all possible things that could go wrong. For example, the Windows version of EigenBrowser bears no relation to the screenshots shown in the tutorials. 3. Why doesnt Pico 2 work? On my instrument I can only seem to use Pico 1, and this does not operate the cello or the clarinet. 4. How to link Stage controls to sliders other than the knobs which are difficult to adjust on PCs. The list is long but these are a few starters.

I really do not beleive that most posters want to confine posts to technobabble, or refuse to outreach to the likes of me and other new users. Where are your sources for this? Did you conduct any sort of referendum?

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:59:17 +0000 GMT

This thread has wandered but I wanted to say that the most recent update process worked moe efficiently for me, thanks

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:20:35 +0000 GMT

Hi Mike

We made half of the change you wanted - sorry we didn't do it all but after some discussion we thought that it would lead to quite a it of cruft in time with a proliferation of icons on the desktop or taskbar. We've decided to only automatically update the main icon link now on new stable releases, which seemed a good compromise as one can always drag the new unstable or testing to the desktop if you want.

Thanks for the suggestion in the first place, I think it's a very sensible improvement and best of all took only a few minutes to implement.

John

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:07:21 +0000 GMT

Mike's right, the documentation discussion is somewhat off topic for this thread. I started a 'requests for comments' thread a little while ago which was asking for suggestions about documentation. This was mainly to help us to make sensible choices about where to spend our effort next here at Eigenlabs, but it seems very reasonable if it were to expand to include any people who are thinking of adding to it too. Here's that thread, if you would like to continue on it.

@cogresslab - I've replied in detail to your documentation comments on that thread rather than here.

We have not been able to ascertain why you cannot seem to run the 'Cello or Clarinet. I understood from Neil that the last time he spoke to you on the telephone they were working, is this not correct? And have you sent a bug report in? If you have a technical issue, it's very hard for us to know what is wrong if you don't..

John

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:17:12 +0000 GMT

Hey, the easy ones are always the best. Thanks again

m

Please log in to join the discussions