Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: Aftertouch On/Off

Most Recent

written by: john

This is one of the things that is in flux at the moment due to the new (and much better) Rigs that are in 2.0. In general many people would probably use Workbench (or Stage) directly to adjust those parameters now, but in the event that one wants to use Belcanto, 2.0 will behave more in the manner of the later Alpha setup, which used a very early (and quite weak) concept of Rigs to resolve Belcanto names.

The behaviour of Belcanto in general with Rigs is a work in progress as we wish it to react well to the plugging and unplugging of the Rigs, a thing that is not possible just yet but that is a feature we'd like to introduce in 2.1 or 2.2. This isn't a problem at all for the language, it already dynamically adapts to changing vocabulary and names due to Agents coming and going, but for Talkers that may address internal Rig components from outside (think of 'all scaler hey all scale to X set' for example), these must deal with the internal parts of the Rig coming and going. At the moment they don't and it is technically complex to ensure that everything stays sane and reliable when that happens.

One thing that will be the case is that Pico, Tau and Alpha factory setups will be consistent in their behaviour in regards of this in 2.0. We're starting on making those setups next week, so we'll keep you posted.

John

written by: snoitan

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:32:24 +0000 GMT

As I mentioned on another thread, I've seemed to have spent more time trying to make the Pico sound good than playing music with those sounds.

I did go out and get two pretty decent sound fonts, one for distorted guitar and one for acoustic guitar, but plugging them into the default pico setup was problematic. Basically, they sounded good for the first note but successive notes would lose a lot of volume if I was keeping the first note held down or playing through the scale very fast.

Turning off Aftertouch and Velocity solved the issues. In fact, they sound very good now, but the side effect is that if I barely brush a key, the note sounds. The volume is also very loud compared to the piano (which is still on 3 with the default settings), though I'm sure I could use the mixer to fix those issues.

If I do put velocity on, I get the same volume issues I got with aftertouch where successive notes lose too much volume even if I try to play them hard.

I really don't care about velocity for those two sounds, though having some velocity sensitivity would be good. What I'd like is for it not to make a sound when I barely brush the key.

I'd also be curious on what 'aftertouch' actually is because I really have no idea. I just know turning it off made both sound fonts sound a lot more realistic.

I have a third acoustic sound I downloaded for free that sounds really cool, but unfortunately, it seems like it was recorded on a guitar that was a little out of tune.

My two questions here:
1) What is after touch?
2) How to turn velocity on enough that barely touching the key doesn't sound the note but pushing with moderate pressure plays it much louder than it would with the default settings.

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:50:48 +0000 GMT

I should add that I just played around with the detune setting and got the slightly out-of-tune acoustic to be in tune. The person probably had it tuned down half a step. Assuming the detune setting is saved in the setup, that should work out okay.

written by: GoneCaving

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:40:21 +0000 GMT

This wiki page may help:
AHDSR

as might this:

Seminar on tweaking the sampler instruments

D

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:18:27 +0000 GMT

I'm getting a bit of a disconnect on the code. Not sure if I'm missing something or what, but if I type in the following directly out of the wiki it fails:

sampler 1 sampler oscillator hey

I can actually type in "sampler oscillator 1 hey" and it accepts that command (I got it by acting as if I was going to change the sound font for sampler 1 and watching what was sent to the commander). Though I can't tell a huge difference when setting the velocity, so I can't tell if that's actually what I need to be typing.

I tried to put in some of the other commands from the wiki and they seem to fail as well. For example "sampler 1 scaler hey" fails as well.

Is the WIki wrong? Or is it just missing some key component?

written by: alistair

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:45:04 +0000 GMT

Hi,

This sounds like a confusion that has cropped up before and is discussed here

As you have found, in the pico factory setup you just have to talk directly to the sampler oscillator 1.

written by: GoneCaving

Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:36:12 +0000 GMT

Is this confusion going to go away when the pico setups are rebuilt for 2.0?

written by: john

Sat, 18 Feb 2012 08:41:16 +0000 GMT

This is one of the things that is in flux at the moment due to the new (and much better) Rigs that are in 2.0. In general many people would probably use Workbench (or Stage) directly to adjust those parameters now, but in the event that one wants to use Belcanto, 2.0 will behave more in the manner of the later Alpha setup, which used a very early (and quite weak) concept of Rigs to resolve Belcanto names.

The behaviour of Belcanto in general with Rigs is a work in progress as we wish it to react well to the plugging and unplugging of the Rigs, a thing that is not possible just yet but that is a feature we'd like to introduce in 2.1 or 2.2. This isn't a problem at all for the language, it already dynamically adapts to changing vocabulary and names due to Agents coming and going, but for Talkers that may address internal Rig components from outside (think of 'all scaler hey all scale to X set' for example), these must deal with the internal parts of the Rig coming and going. At the moment they don't and it is technically complex to ensure that everything stays sane and reliable when that happens.

One thing that will be the case is that Pico, Tau and Alpha factory setups will be consistent in their behaviour in regards of this in 2.0. We're starting on making those setups next week, so we'll keep you posted.

John

Please log in to join the discussions