Forum rss-feed

Forum

Tutorials: Eigenharp seminars

Most Recent

written by: keyman

Dear Eigenharp player!

This week's EigenSeminar which will take place tomorrow night (Thursday 3rd February) at 7pm (London time) is entitled

"The Routing Matrix".

(An in-depth look at the new routing matrix available in 1.3 unstable branch of the software. This will look at using the routing with Audio Unit / VST plugins and using it with MIDI output.)

@keyman
Come up with some good/weird/useful questions ON or a bit OFF Topic !!!

It's really for the best interest of the Eigenharp Community!
(off to prepare some questions of my own)

keyman

written by: GoneCaving

Sat, 2 Oct 2010 13:02:27 +0100 BST

I must say I'm really liking the new seminars. I'm about half-way through watching the first seminar on tweaking the samplers using Belcanto.

First question, could the conversations in the IRC channel be captured for those of us who can't attend the seminars at the time? And if not, could we at least get the list of belcanto strings?

Secondly, I've been trying to follow the instructions. I'm running 1.1.20, and playing a pico. I find that
sampler 1 scaler hey
fails, but (having checked out the factory scripts)
all scaler hey all k bend range to 12 set
works. What am I doing wrong?

Also, watching the recent Eigenharp demos has prompted some more questions:

How do you create soundfonts? Were the samplers used to control the drum sequence (or was it via midi?). In the pico example the strip controller was used to control different effect depending on the direction of movement. How was that done?

D

written by: alistair

Sat, 2 Oct 2010 17:05:17 +0100 BST

Hi D, I had the same problem when trying to follow the demo on my pico. Its because they were using the alpha in the demo and the agents are wired up in a slightly different way. Instead of

sampler 1 scaler hey

you just have to say

scaler 1 hey

Alistair

Sat, 2 Oct 2010 21:59:55 +0100 BST

Thanks Alistair! Got the scaler (and other) commands to work as I'd expect.

Why is there different syntax for alpha & pico?

Sat, 2 Oct 2010 22:38:02 +0100 BST

Its not really a difference in syntax between the pico and the alpha just a difference between two setups, one of which happens to be the pico factory setup and one the alpha factory setup. The alpha one, which was written later, uses a concept in which an agent for a instrument (the sampler in this case) is made up of other agents to hide some of its internal complexity. I think this feature wasn't available at the time that the pico setup was created. Sam could probably explain this better than me.

Sat, 2 Oct 2010 23:03:45 +0100 BST

Yeah, would be good to hear more about this and also whether there are plans to bring the two into line?

Dunc

written by: bl4cksun

Mon, 4 Oct 2010 22:51:20 +0100 BST

is there more information available about the seminars? Like when they are and what format they are in? Saw the bit in the wiki about them but doesnt contain much info on how to attend one?

written by: 0beron

Tue, 5 Oct 2010 09:33:24 +0100 BST

I think they are going to be weekly, Thursdays 7-8 for Alpha, maybe Wednesday at the same time for Pico. The first seminar was broadcast on www.justin.tv - you can search for 'eigenharp' to find the channel.

written by: NothanUmber

Tue, 5 Oct 2010 19:47:26 +0100 BST

Where was the info about the seminars initially announced? (Only found the documentation from seminar 1 by accident in the wiki and was kindly notified about plans for seminar 2 by John in a thread but haven't found any technical details about that.
Do I miss a valuable source of public Eigenharp information?

Greetings,
NothanUmber

written by: john

Tue, 5 Oct 2010 22:13:42 +0100 BST

We're still experimenting with the format - the seminar last week was not broadly announced as it was the first semi public experiment. We intend to start holding them every week as soon as we've got the kinks out, and if they prove popular. There are still couple of things we have to get properly sorted out, such as being able to vision mix live from the laptop running EigenD's screen.

There's a Wiki section now that we'll be expanding to cover archived seminars and forthcoming sessions.

John

written by: NothanUmber

Tue, 5 Oct 2010 23:08:36 +0100 BST

ah ok, still in beta test :)
Found a recording of the first seminar on www.justin.tv now, thanks 0beron for pointing it out. Learned many interesting details from it. Seeing Dave's screen from time to time would perhaps have made things a little bit easier to remember but it was nonetheless possible to follow. Perhaps it would help to give the speakers some extra mini microphones, the voice volume was a little bit low, I had to turn it up until it started to hiss. (presumably If you are not so used to British English it's even more important to hear the words clearly.)

As said, I think these seminars are a really great idea!

Greetings,
NothanUmber

written by: dhjdhj

Sat, 23 Oct 2010 03:17:29 +0100 BST

Where is the seminar that went out yesterday about Belcanto? I searched justintv and could only find old ones?

Sat, 23 Oct 2010 09:56:39 +0100 BST

It seems to be here

http://www.justin.tv/eigenharp/b/272288332

Alistair

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 23 Oct 2010 17:39:14 +0100 BST

First; thanks for the seminars. They provide a great deal of welcome information.

That said, there have now been a couple of instances where questions have been taken 'off line' to be answered by email. On each occasion, I've thought to myself that the question was interesting and that the answer would be broadly valuable.

I'd like to suggest that, instead of answering individually, it would be great if these questions could be added to the section in the WIKI that documents the individual seminar.

written by: garthpaine

Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:17:06 +0000 GMT

Great seminars - thanks - am working my way through them. Great to be able to go back to them on the web. Cheers, Garth

Fri, 12 Nov 2010 02:34:02 +0000 GMT

I second you're opinion Garth... and this is my appreciation note for the value of information they represent (still digesting the last one.....).Nice about John stoping by.

Keyman

written by: jeanphy

Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:01:23 +0000 GMT

Thank you !!! Very interesting seminar yesterday....I am waiting for the next one.

written by: 0beron

Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:59:58 +0000 GMT

I've just finished going through belcanto part 2 - now we're cooking with gas! Some great news about Stage, and the secrets of plumbing keygroups.

written by: aaronw

Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:59:18 +0000 GMT

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know there will be no seminar next week. This is because Dave is playing the Eigenharp in the band 'Orangafruup' at Madame Pain's Boudoir Circus all of next week!

If you are in London come along to what promises to be a night to remember! More information can be found at www.madamepainsboudoircircus.com

Regards

Aaron

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 00:47:39 +0000 GMT

Don't know what's the theme for next week, but can't someone replace David ?!? Got used to reserve that hour to the seminar

Keyman

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:26:34 +0000 GMT

Is there a seminar today? The wiki seems to imply that will be the case (resuming the week starting Nov 22nd).

Going forward, for scheduling purposes, it would be useful to know prior to the day of the event (preferably a few days)

m

Please log in to join the discussions