Forum rss-feed

Forum

Developers: Eigenharp Developers Conference

Most Recent

written by: neil

We now have all the presentations available to view on video and pdfs to download here http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/DevCon_2012/

Enjoy.......

written by: john

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:37:31 +0100 BST

There has been a fair bit of interest in learning how to build and work with the Open Source version of EigenD and a number of people have asked that we might run a seminar on getting started. Jim, Geert, Al and I have been discussing this at some length and think that an online seminar is going to be very clunky - the technology is just not quite good enough for this quite yet. Rather than let this defeat us, I have a suggestion, which is that we might get together in person for a first 'Eigenharp DevCon'. Jim, Geert and Al can present overviews of the system and a tutorial on getting started and people can get some one to one time with us to help them along. We could also drink beer, eat and possibly have some fun.

I own this place, which is in the same Dartmoor village that Eigenlabs works in - it's about 3 hours on the train from London and I'm prepared to make it available for this at no cost, providing that it can happen in the low season. It can accommodate six couples (some with children), any others would need to find local accommodation (there is plenty of this available at reasonable cost if it comes to it), and has a very nice conference facility suitable for a small technical get together. If we agree a contribution for food, I can arrange a chef to do catering over say a Fri/Sat/Sun stay with the main day being Saturday. At the moment I'm thinking about a weekend mid November(ish). We can come get you from the train station or Exeter Airport as needed.

Base requirements for this (in terms of dev skills) are decent C++ I think, and some familiarity with Python a big plus. If you don't know C++ I don't think you could really benefit that much from this - a weekend would not be enough to get you started. If you know C++ well, Python is pretty easy.

If this sounds interesting and possible for anyone, please let me know your interest (and how serious it is) asap - if there's enough takers we'll set something up, if not we'll think about something next year.

John

written by: 0beron

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:54:36 +0100 BST

This sounds like a smashing idea! I guess we can bring our respective eigenharps for the odd evening jam session (or a world record attempt for number of 'harps played at once...).

I write C++ at work, although in a slightly archaic style for historical reasons, and python is my weapon of choice for tools, scripts etc.

As for timing, November has a few weekends that might be tricky, but let's throw some dates out there and see. I'd be disappointed to miss out...

written by: GoneCaving

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:46:32 +0100 BST

What a great idea. I've be interested in coming along. I code in C++ and python for a living.

The timing is not great though. Work has me away from home for 3wk at the moment, and another 2 in late Nov/early Dec, so getting a weekend pass might be tricky! I might be able to come if it was early Nov, but it would suit me better if it was after mid-Jan next year.

written by: NothanUmber

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:35:21 +0100 BST

That sounds really promising!

We also use C++ as our main programming language (Recently I specialized more on the conceptual side but I try to stay "in touch" :) ). Know the basics of Python as it's the embedded scripting language of Blender.

If I can make it job wise I would be glad to join!

Greetings,
NothanUmber

written by: prstorms

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 23:22:48 +0100 BST

How about a users conference at some point for the non-programmers? Heck, I'd fly to England for that!

Pat

written by: bwong

Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:18:52 +0100 BST

This is of course good news for folks who live in England, I just hope it eventually results in some documentation and assistance for those of us who live elsewhere.

BW

written by: laurence

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 16:26:58 +0100 BST

I'm interested, I'd like to get involved in a build on Linux, Jan is probably better than Nov for me.

Laurence

written by: barnone

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 17:22:05 +0100 BST

This is very generous of you John. I might actually be able to make it, as in fly from West Coast US to London. Just checked into flights and they are not so bad.

Nov looks tentatively good right now.

I think it would be a huge help to go through this stuff in person.

Chris

written by: jsn

Sun, 2 Oct 2011 08:19:09 +0100 BST

I'd definitely be up for that - especially if we could do a collaborative Code Dojo approach

written by: john

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:09:34 +0100 BST

Ok, so before Christmas is looking a bit tight for quite a few people so I'd like to suggest two dates in the new year instead, either the weekend of the 13/14/15th Jan 2011 or the 20/21/22nd. Could everyone who's interested let me know if that is more suitable?

Several people have also expressed an interest in coming along not to develop but to meet everyone and play, so if there's interest we could also set up a small parallel track for players - there are plenty of other instruments here and a nice Bosendorfer grand piano at Sweeton, so some fun could be had there.

John

written by: keyman

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 16:41:31 +0100 BST

Can't come up with a better way to start a new year... So 13/14/15 Jan 2012 (small typo there John) would be awesome.

Think that parallel track for players would be amazing, as "0beron's" mention on the Forum, add myself to the "...world record attempt for number of 'harps played at once..." !!

Thanks for making this happen!

Cheers
keyman

written by: barnone

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:19:14 +0100 BST

I'm available for either dates. Will actually give us a chance to do our homework first as well.

written by: dhjdhj

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:57:28 +0100 BST

If I can get my hands on a system that would let me start building Max infrastructure, I would love to go to this conference with something to contribute. The second set of dates overlaps with NAMM though, so I'd personally prefer the first set.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:09:28 +0100 BST

13/14/15 Jan. 2012 sounds good!
Does anybody have experience whether a Tau can be transported as hand luggage on a plane? That Eigenharp orchestra thing sounds great, just want to prevent that the first thing Eigenlabs would have to do when I arrive is to reassemble the parts that once represented my Eigenharp... :/
Presumably bringing Eigenharps to Eigenlabs is nonetheless like "carrying owls to Athens" as we say here?

What else should we bring? Is this more planned as a hands on workshop where we try to build small things or more a you-present-we-absorb lecture? In the first case presumably a notebook (Mac? Win?) that is prepared to build EigenD+a Pico would make sense to bring with us? (Besides lots of ideas, questions and perhaps even already some code :) ).

Greetings,
NothanUmber

written by: 0beron

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:55:51 +0100 BST

That sounds great, I can make either set of dates. They're now firmly in my diary.

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:45:27 +0100 BST

Just a small correction to what I wrote above: friday the 13th is not possible (but 14+15 would), 20/21/22 woud be fine though.

written by: neil

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:52:30 +0100 BST

Hi NothanUmber,

I have taken the Tau and Alpha in a Hiscox case on over 40 flights. The instruments are still in one piece. However, as I'm sure you know the baggage handlers do tend to throw them around. As a result I have had quite a few surface marks and one case with a gauge out of it. So in essence your Tau will be fine, but the case might get some marks / damage if you are unlucky.

written by: geert

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:30:23 +0100 BST

Hi NothanUmber,

The Tau's Hiscox case is definitely not an all-abuse-allowed heavy duty flight case and will not come unscaved out of the brute force that sometimes happens during air travel. I have been unable to get my Alpha on carry-on luggage, even when calling in advance. The last flight though, I cover the case with self-made stickers saying in huge letters '!!! Fragile !!! Rare and unique musical instrument'.

The case was handled much better that time since no new marks appeared.

Take care,

Geert

written by: jsn

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:34:01 +0100 BST

Just passed through Copenhagen airport where custom's guys thought the Tau in the Hiscox case was a rifle. Sticky few moments of poor translation/communication along the lines of 'wheres your paperwork for the gun', 'its not a gun', 'you need paperwork for a gun', 'its not a gun I'll show you', 'you can't open the gun case in the airport', 'its not a gun' (repeated about 4 times)

Next time: stickers

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:43:02 +0100 BST

ok JSN, that is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

m

Please log in to join the discussions