Forum

Alpha: "sweet spot" via Stage

Most Recent

written by: prstorms

Ah... OK... got it.

Pat

Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:20:45 +0100 BST

OK folks... I just can't give up on the Gofriller. The alpha has SUCH potential to be a truly spectacular cello emulator, that I just can't give up. Since upgrading to 1.3.30, I notice that the cello (via Kontakt 3, or 4) sounds "electronic" with a remarkable amount of up/down bending of the pitch with any small movement of the keys. Version 1.2.8 actually sounded best with the Gofriller, but there was no access to Stage and a lot of the functionality with pedals wasn't there... and couldn't use the matrix. I think 1.3.30 will give me that added functionality, but I can't tolerate the sound. Step one would be to cut down on the amount of "bend" when I manipulate the keys. How do I go about accomplishing that in Stage?

Thanks for the help!
Pat

written by: keyman

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 02:14:17 +0100 BST

Hi, Pat...

About a cello emulator.... check this post(if you havent' already )

Thats a good spirit, not to give up... !! agree with you 100% on the capabilities of the expressiveness on the ALPHA.
Ask questions, to users or keep asking to Eigenlabs support;
Join the Eigenharp Clubhouse on Google+ Hangouts....Monday at 16h CET.

Step one.. as you mention; cutting down the amount of pitch bend,
was addressed on this post started by you....
Back then, by the end of the tread, Geert even called you're attention on to Kontakt itself..

I have sent a bug report around this more or less issue.
Have asked Geert to improve STAGE, so what have change you can read about on the Release notes
" Pitch bend curve setting 4 now behaves correctly for AU/VST instruments"
and in " 4 – Changes and Improvements"
"All AU/VST stage tabs now have 'Key Pitch Bend Range' knobs"

SO!!!... so sum it up

- Adjust the knob - "Key Pitch Bend Range" to a lower value then 2.0 to 1.0 or even 0.5 (one semitone)
- Adjust the CURVE of the keys (you're so called sweet spot )- with the knob "Pitch bend curve" to say, 3

NOt giving up, writing this for you, hope you'll get closer to a "wonderful expressive ALPHA

Regards
Keyman

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 00:15:59 +0100 BST

OK, tried Keyman's advice.

Scaler 10, to correspond to AU 3 (from old post)
added k pitch bend input, k bend range and curve to Stage. Twiddled the knobs to max/min for each with no demonstrable effect on Gofriller playing through Kontakt 4 or Kontakt 3. Switched to AU 1 (whatever synth autoloads when starting up EigenD, did the same for Scaler 8 and got effects (curve to 4 made for no bend, k bend range to zero made for no bend). So, this appears to be specific to Kontakt or the Gofriller. Bummer.

Pat

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 01:58:34 +0100 BST

Hi, Pat

With 1.3.30 running, there's no need to add THAT "knobs" to STAGE, they are there...(please check if you are running 1.3.30 - under File / About eigenD)

I'm more then happy to help in a different way, and insist, now that Google+ is so interactive.
My profile http://gplus.to/keymanpal
Join the Eigenharp Clubhouse on Google+ Hangouts....Monday's at 16h CET.

keyman

written by: geert

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:58:46 +0100 BST

What could be possible is that Pat is upgrading an old setup, the stage tabs are not automatically upgraded since we don't want to overwrite changes you did.

To get the latest tabs, open a factory setup, open stage, go to file -> export all tabs. Then load you setup, import the tabs you just imported. Afterwards you can delete your old tabs if you wish to do so by clicking with the edit tool on the tab background.

HTH,

Geert

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:22:23 +0100 BST

Thanks Geert, for stepping in... Forgot all about that in the heat and speed of trying to help out.

Keyman

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 01:53:02 +0100 BST

I did upgrade an old setup. Will try the "export all tabs"... but wouldn't it work the same, whether I added the tabs or if they auto-populated?

Clubhouse sounds great, but at 1600 CET on Mondays I am slaving away at my day job.

Pat

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 03:07:39 +0100 BST

Very interesting. I did the "import tabs" trick and all came over without drama. However, when accessing the AU 3 tab in stage, any changes to key pitch bend range or pitch bend curve actually did nothing except cause the numerical value under the dial to blink red without changing value (or effect). I switched to AU1 with the same effect. I could change the volume with the knob, but nothing else (for both). I then loaded up Standard Setup Split 1. Back to AU 1 and the pitch bend knobs worked just fine. I then opened Kontakt 4 into AU 3, loaded up the Gofriller, and SHAZAM the knobs work just fine. I have to assume my upgraded personal profile to load Gofriller didn't make one of the updates unscathed. OK, so now I can control the sweet spot and key pitch bend... step one finished. Step two is to bring the breath pipe or strip into action to control volume. I can use a pedal to control volume, but I've got a free hand for the strip. I could even kill the vibrato from the keys by killing the key pitch bend and use breath to control vibrator through the software. So many possibilities. Thanks to all for your persistent assistance. it's greatly appreciated!

Pat

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:36:05 +0100 BST

Hi Pat,

We only automatically upgrade setups when no connections have changed in between agents since otherwise the upgrade procedure could have totally unwanted effects. The stage tabs are never auto-populated / auto-upgraded.

Still, it seems weird that the Stage widgets wouldn't connect to the scaler pitch bend ports. Could you please send your old setup to customerservices@eigenlabs.com, I'll have a look to see what might have happened.

Thanks,

Geert

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:11:00 +0100 BST

For whatever it is worth, I tend to re-do my setups from a fresh factory setup when something goes awry. This seems to be less work and faster.

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 15:02:03 +0100 BST

Me too, coincidence or not...
I keep a simple *.txt handy with all my changes to the setups, 1-2-3.
Just run everything on top of the new factory setups.

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 23:17:33 +0100 BST

How do I go about sending the "old setup" to you?

Thanks,
Pat

Fri, 30 Sep 2011 07:17:48 +0100 BST

Please send it to customerservices@eigenlabs.com

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:51:24 +0100 BST

They are in (user)/Library/eigenlabs/(the version)/setups

Sat, 1 Oct 2011 04:09:44 +0100 BST

Ah... OK... got it.

Pat