Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Play the Cello like a Piano

Most Recent

written by: keyman

Hi, Mike
Thanks for you're great ideas. All physical modelling be it hardware or software, are awesome companions to the Eigenharp's, curious you mentions the VL-1, cos I have the - m version and since the early days of the PICO It's bin a perfect match! (remember the Eigenharp_Alpha_Competition??)

I'm still to connect the ALPHA with an old favorite of mine - Clavia Nord Modular G2 (I remember doing some great/wild patches on it) Time doesn't stretch....

keyman

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 16:26:07 +0100 BST

Each passing day I'm more comfortable playing the ALPHA, loving every second!

I keep playing Bach, (as exercising) and would love to use the EigenD Cello to play the Suite n1 but like a normal playing style Piano, as opposed of bowing or blowing or even using that fabulous approach of the percussion key.

I think it could be very useful for a faster usage of that particular Cello sound.

Some wise Belcanto pretty please....

keyman

written by: john

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:37:34 +0100 BST

Hi Keyman

I think that is possible, but it will probably not play that well. The 'Cello is a convolution physics model and as such behaves similarly to an acoustic 'Cello. If you use the key pressure to drive the bowing speed (which is what I think you mean) then you will get a whole new note with every keypress, with all the associated audio signature of that. This will make playing legato impossible as well as making every little run sound rather frantic. The alternative approach, which is to use the keys to generate a steady monophonic output mixing all the pressures together to produce the bowing speed, cannot be done using Belcanto as it requires a new agent to do the mixing behaviour. This is actually on the list of things to do (it is actually a degenerate case of the fingering agent we have scheduled for 2.0) but we don't have it yet.

If you would still like to try a new note on every keypress we can have a quick look to see how well that works, let us know..

John

written by: prstorms

Sat, 23 Jul 2011 23:24:30 +0100 BST

I use the Gofriller cello as a software instrument, and it gets pretty close. If you can find an old copy of the Gofriller (they don't sell it anymore), it might just fit the bill for you.

Pat

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 00:18:32 +0100 BST

@ Pat
Thanks for the good Idea and suggestion, but first I would like to pursue and honor the great sounding Cello the EigenD comes with.
(physical modeling has to me something... more humane.)

@ John
Thanks as always for replying. I maybe should get the habit of the breath pipe on the ALPHA ( and let me say all my musician live I played either brass or woodwinds, and embraced the wind controllers since the EVI and so on...) and this way I would not be "uncovering this rock" (new fingering agent) nevertheless I thought it was a simpler approach.
I would like to give a try on the "new note on every keypress" and kinda promise also to use the breath pipe till I get tired ( or I get the hang of it...)

keyman

written by: mikemilton

Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:15:58 +0100 BST

AAS makes a string modelling synth (String Studio) that has a few starting points for a decent cello.

The VL1 has the issue of being monophonic and underwhelming for strings (it has some great reed sounds that work well with the alpha and it is a really nice match to the pico). The advantage is that you can connect the various controllers to interesting aspects of the model.

As an aside, The sounds by Sal Galina for breath controllers (Expressive FM applications) are not naturalistic but are exceptionally expressive. In fact, all of the Yamaha FM stuff can be adapted to the eigenharp.

Mon, 25 Jul 2011 04:05:52 +0100 BST

Hi, Mike
Thanks for you're great ideas. All physical modelling be it hardware or software, are awesome companions to the Eigenharp's, curious you mentions the VL-1, cos I have the - m version and since the early days of the PICO It's bin a perfect match! (remember the Eigenharp_Alpha_Competition??)

I'm still to connect the ALPHA with an old favorite of mine - Clavia Nord Modular G2 (I remember doing some great/wild patches on it) Time doesn't stretch....

keyman

Please log in to join the discussions