Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Open Source Announcement

written by: john

Dear All

I'm pleased to announce that as of today the Eigenharp software, EigenD, has been released as Open Source software. The full details of this can be found here on the Wiki.

For the developers out there, there are a couple of caveats I should make you aware of. Firstly, we haven't released absolutely everything, there are a couple of binary components (related to the Pico drivers) and the Stage GUI app and upcoming Workbench are not included (although the Stage backend is). There is however the main core of EigenD, and quite enough to build your own Agents and experiment widely. Secondly we won't be able to offer much in the way of support to help you get going as we're pretty flat out at the moment working on Workbench, so please don't expect that.

With that in mind have fun! I know that 'lines of code' is a pretty poor metric of the value and richness of an application, but there are over 200,000 lines C++ and 100,000 lines of Python in this release. Should keep you busy for a while.

John

Wed, 4 May 2011 13:09:24 +0100 BST

Dear All

I'm pleased to announce that as of today the Eigenharp software, EigenD, has been released as Open Source software. The full details of this can be found here on the Wiki.

For the developers out there, there are a couple of caveats I should make you aware of. Firstly, we haven't released absolutely everything, there are a couple of binary components (related to the Pico drivers) and the Stage GUI app and upcoming Workbench are not included (although the Stage backend is). There is however the main core of EigenD, and quite enough to build your own Agents and experiment widely. Secondly we won't be able to offer much in the way of support to help you get going as we're pretty flat out at the moment working on Workbench, so please don't expect that.

With that in mind have fun! I know that 'lines of code' is a pretty poor metric of the value and richness of an application, but there are over 200,000 lines C++ and 100,000 lines of Python in this release. Should keep you busy for a while.

John

written by: GoneCaving

Wed, 4 May 2011 15:15:21 +0100 BST

Excellent stuff! Thanks John and all the Eigenlabs team for delivering on this promise!

D

written by: jsn

Wed, 4 May 2011 15:27:32 +0100 BST

Excellent. Huge round of applause for you all.

That's my evening gone...

written by: dkah

Wed, 4 May 2011 15:35:29 +0100 BST

Thank you very much Eigenlabs, downloading ...

written by: keyman

Wed, 4 May 2011 19:41:15 +0100 BST

Congrats to Eigenlabs! on this move.

As a musician I'm expectant, to see what will rise from other minds.

keyman

Wed, 4 May 2011 22:17:05 +0100 BST

Hurrah, got it to build on OSX 10.6.7, with some minor changes:

diff --git a/lib_lo/server.c b/lib_lo/server.c
index b5f844a..5242cac 100644
--- a/lib_lo/server.c
+++ b/lib_lo/server.c
@@ -21,6 +21,7 @@
#include
#include
#include
+#include
#include

#ifdef _MSC_VER
diff --git a/piw/src/piw_correlator.cpp b/piw/src/piw_correlator.cpp
index 8c5b193..133684f 100644
--- a/piw/src/piw_correlator.cpp
+++ b/piw/src/piw_correlator.cpp
@@ -724,7 +724,7 @@ void correlator_buffer_t::detach_source(correlator_source_t
//pic::logmsg() signa

unsigned s = input->signal_;
- unsigned sn = input->signame_;
+ //unsigned sn = input->signame_;
correlator_voice_t *v = voice_;
impl_t *root = v->root_;

diff --git a/tools/darwin_tools.py b/tools/darwin_tools.py
index e6f30d4..ecabed8 100644
--- a/tools/darwin_tools.py
+++ b/tools/darwin_tools.py
@@ -112,7 +112,8 @@ class PiDarwinEnvironment(unix_tools.PiUnixEnvironment):
os_major=uname()[2].split('.')[0]
self.Append(LIBS=Split('dl m pthread'))

- self.Replace(MACOSXSDK='/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk')
+ self.Replace(MACOSXSDK='/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk')
+ #self.Replace(MACOSXSDK='/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk')
self.Append(CCFLAGS=Split('-isysroot ${MACOSXSDK} -mmacosx-version-min=
self.Append(LINKFLAGS=Split('-isysroot ${MACOSXSDK} -mmacosx-version-mi
self.Append(CCFLAGS=Split('-ggdb -Werror -Wall -Wno-long-double -O3 -fm

I'm also getting an error on the ctags build which googling suggests might be a problem with the version of ctags.

written by: bwong

Wed, 4 May 2011 22:28:13 +0100 BST

Great news! Congrats to the Eigenlabs team!

written by: geert

Wed, 4 May 2011 23:12:23 +0100 BST

@GoneCaving, that's because you didn't install OSX 10.4 support when you installed XCode, if you do that the source will compile without changes.

Thu, 5 May 2011 06:54:19 +0100 BST

Yep, I realised that, just didn't have the XCode disc to hand.

D

Thu, 5 May 2011 07:57:57 +0100 BST

Xcode4 does not support 10.4 anymore(?) - so you need to use the OSX 10.4 support from previous Xcode3.2.6 (this is a pain - need to install Xcode3.2.6 elsewhere and copy the folder, as far as I can tell)

Even doing this, the build does not work w/ Xcode4. The -Werror flag in darwin_tools.py causes abends as there are a variety of compilation issues (e.g. unused variables) that the newer compilers are funny about. Also, I get :
tmp/obj/app_cmdline/src/bcat (g++-4.0)
ld: file not found: @executable_path/libpisamplerate_1_4_1_unstable.dylib for architecture i386

(What are you using, Geert? I assume you are using Xcode3 + 10.4 support)

The only way I got it to compile was to adjust darwin_tools.py to use 10.6 (and turn off the -Werror rather than alter the code a-l-aGone-Caving). I too got the ctags failure right at the end, however, everything seems to work fine.

written by: jim

Thu, 5 May 2011 08:38:07 +0100 BST

We're using xcode3 with the 10.4 support.

We have a fair few 10.4 users out there, and we plan on retaining support for that
through to the end of 1.4.

I'll look at putting in something to conditionalise the use of the 10.4, but in the meantime
you could always create a local branch and keep up to date with rebase.

Any changes you need to make for compiling will be gratefully accepted in patch form
and we'll incorporate them into the main branch, as long as they don't compromise the
10.4 build.

You can get a working ctags out of macports or homebrew.

jim

Thu, 5 May 2011 09:12:22 +0100 BST

Absolutely understand the 10.4 point (need to support user base) but most of us who'll build are on newer OS/Xcodes (I'd assume).

Finding a way to force 10.6/Xcode4 to build as 10.4/Xcode3 might be better - sure it can be done, but not sure how? Anyone know how to force the system to use older compiler? (the -arch an -m flags don't seem to ahve an effect?)

Can you tell us the process you want us to submit patches by? Either here or preferably on the wiki page?

(using the rebase appraoch already)

written by: sfellner

Thu, 5 May 2011 09:29:48 +0100 BST

Great move, Eigenlabs, thank you very much! This will start a new chapter.
And yes, it will keep us busy for a while ;-). Will it make us ask fewer questions (any acronym for "read the code first" yet)?

Got it to compile, but not with 10.4 SDK alongside XCode4 on 10.6.7. Some parts would detect x86_64 on their own, spent some time trying to figure that out. Had to switch to 10.6 SDK, disable VST in juce_AppConfig.h, remove unused variable in piw_correlator.cpp, and played with CCFlags in darwin_tools.py. Ended with ctags: illegal option -- - and a compiled version 1.4.1: tada!
Very nice to end a long day like this. The discovery begins in daylight...

Indeed very thrilling. Opening the code brings back the joy of looking inside the housing of every mechanical or electro-mechanical apparatus in my childhood. Didn't dare to open the pico yet, but now there is code...

Thu, 5 May 2011 10:15:43 +0100 BST

Hi

I've now created a separate, dedicated Forum category for Developers as it seems likely that these discussions are going to get rather technical for a broader audience. You can find it here.

John

written by: barnone

Sat, 7 May 2011 01:52:09 +0100 BST

Fantastic! This is a huge milestone.

I hope I get the chance to communicate externally how far the eigenharp platform has come and it's great to see this promise fulfilled. I'll be sure to set things straight on my blog at least.

Cheers,
Chris

written by: barnone

Sun, 29 May 2011 00:56:22 +0100 BST

http://bar0.blogspot.com/2011/05/eigenharp-revisited.html

Thanks so much for the efforts by everyone at Eigenlabs over the last year. There has been tremendous progress and you guys are so close to hitting that sweet spot with a stable productive system and lots of new players. Maybe even a few players that are learning to play well. That wouldn't hurt, would it?

Please log in to join the discussions