Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Belcanto Reference?

Most Recent

written by: bwong

Thanks keyman. I found the relevant thread, but your link in the last post here needs to be fixed.

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:31:17 +0100 BST

Hi, this is my first post here. I just bought a Pico, and am working on learning how I can use it. Before I start with the noob questions however let me offer my thanks and congratulations to everyone on the Eigenlabs team. I am very pleased to have joined up with this community and am excited about the potential of this new instrument.

I am starting out on Belcanto and was wondering where I can find a reference of the commands. Most of the commands I see in the EigenCommander bring up no results when searching this website. Is there a way to get inline help on commands from within Belcanto?

written by: keyman

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:13:46 +0100 BST

Hi, bwong and welcome to the fascinating Eigen World!!

Between this forum and the Eigen WIKI are most of the info around Belcanto, but let me guide you first to the Tutorials a must!

Don't forget STAGE, it "opens up" what inside each setup !! and you can tweak faster you're setups. Fell free to ask when you get stuck in something...

keyman

p.s. - the commands are http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.3/The_EigenD_Reference/
and don't forget also the Seminars
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/Eigenharp_Seminars/

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:10:34 +0100 BST

Thank you for your response keyman! I have done the basic Pico tutorials and watched several of the seminars, including Belcanto Basics. I have played successfully with some simple Belcanto commands and believe I have the basic idea. Now I want to get into investigating what type of things it is possible to do with Belcanto and the Pico.

I have not yet installed the alpha version with Stage, but will do so soon.

Although I have yet to delve fully into the EigenD reference, it would seems to me that many of the Belcanto commands listed in the EigenCommander are not documented there.

It would be nice to have inline Belcanto help from the EigenCommander. I have tried some syntax things like "banjo help", "help banjo", "banjo ?" and "banjo /?" etc., but no luck. I suppose when the EigenD Open Source release happens I can study the source code and figure each command out from there. Nonetheless I think the idea of inline help for the commands is an idea worth considering. Any internal Eigenlabs documentation that is available to be shared would be greatly appreciated.

Another idea for Belcanto I would like to mention is an optional Belcanto command mode where the Eigenharp still plays audio when entering Belcanto commands. This would provide additional mnemonic enhancement to help people learning the language by enabling them to hear what the commands sound like. It is even possible that a performer could use this to disguise/incorporate Belcanto control commands as musical phrases in their live performances.

bwong

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:28:40 +0100 BST

Some clarifications...
STAGE is part of Eigen D (don't recall after with version) just try the latest testing version.
Each instrument (Alpha, Tau and Pico) runs dedicated setup versions, that STAGE reflect, each with different "agents" names etc...

I'm sure the Dev team loves new ideas.... in the meantime search for "Workbench" - when it is released it will improve how we relate and explore our instruments.

keyman

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:45:24 +0100 BST

Exploring what Stage, and later Workbench, can do before spending time on Belcanto makes sense. I now see from reading through other posts that the documentation is a work in progress. No problem, I understand this type of documentation takes time.

I find Belcanto very interesting ("elegant" as Dave says in the seminar) and hope to become competent with it. The ability to code on the fly directly from the instrument seems like potentially a very powerful tool. However much of what I am interested in doing will probably have to wait for the Arranger to be available to the Pico anyway.

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:18:11 +0100 BST

I also "love" the whole concept of Belcanto! but quickly I turn myself to learn playing tecnics and use the elegance of Stage on the IPad.

I did manage (with a Huuuge effort ) to get an Alpha, after the PICO, and yes I'm in heaven since .... Arranger on the PICO .... It's not easy or maybe practical, think John already address this idea.

Keyman

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:53:52 +0100 BST

What do I need to do to get Arranger working on the Pico? I tried to get the Arranger to listen through Belcanto commands but got a "no such agent" error or something like that. Do I need testing version installed for that also?

Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:45:51 +0100 BST

I think no one go that direction... and that "deep", on a PICO. You have so few keys, for such big task, and so many areas of Becanto still are unknown. (or somehow missing to the PICO)

Users did manage to get 18 playing keys.... I like that one!

Keyman

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:01:32 +0100 BST

I read somewhere here that Arranger for Pico is in the development pipeline. The issue of the small number of keys is one of the things I want to use Arranger to address. I hope to learn to use scripting to program key and scale changes to occur at specific temporal points in a chord progression to enable me to play progressions with key changes, thus better optimizing the usage of the number of keys available.

P.S. - I got the testing version with STAGE up and working and am very impressed with what I saw in the brief time I have had to look at it. The GUI looks excellent and the functionality provided in the pre-made tabs puts a powerful amount of control at our fingertips.

Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:32:43 +0100 BST

Told you so.... If you're lucky to add an iPhone or iPad and fireworks happens!
When you click "create" you see what's inside a setup.

Take a look at my last post on user STAGE tabs ( there's plenty of room for improvement (Here)

Keyman

Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:23:50 +0100 BST

Thanks keyman. I found the relevant thread, but your link in the last post here needs to be fixed.

Please log in to join the discussions