Pico: Strip Controller

Most Recent

written by: ramplate

Hi

Had a question or three - and found the answers I needed lol
Lesson one - go through all the tutorials lol

written by: semiphrase

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:36:15 +0000 GMT

Hi everyone, new to the Pico, finally got it working after my registration code needing to be reset and requiring a replacement memory stick to fix a corrupted EigenD install file.

Its the first one I've played, and Im unsure about how much pressure the strip controller requires to play properly. Watching the tutorial it seems that all the Nick guy needs to do to bow the cello is touch the strip controller lightly with his middle finger to get a smooth, natural sound. To get any kind of sound out of mine, i have to rub the strip rather firmly with my index finger using my thumb behind the instrument to get a good pressure. The sound I get doesn't sound anything like the smooth sound nick is getting from his instrument. I would have imagined the strip would be more like a laptop touch mouse and rather sensitive.

Just wondering if anyone else is/has experienced this problem, or is my technique missing something I dont know about. I hope it is the latter, as this is the third problem I've encountered with this instrument/Eigenlabs and I'm starting to regret my purchase.

cheers guys

written by: mikemilton

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:04:43 +0000 GMT

Well, it is much lighter on the Pico than the Alpha but it does need more than just a light touch. I tend to use the breath pipe for cello.

Here is some advice I was given on playing the cello (edited a bit)

"The key pressure controls the bow force. The bow velocity is controlled directly by the breath pressure or the velocity of movement on the strip controller. You can vary both to modify the loudness and tone of the sound, where the velocity tends to have a greater effect than the force with this model. Force mainly effects the lower registers in the model. One thing to note is that you can get a smoother attack if you first set the bow in motion then apply force, which is normally achieved when using the breath pipe with the model, since you can blow and then play on the keys. When using the strip controller you can do this by moving your hand slightly before playing the first note on the keys.

- When you hold a note on the keys then bow with the strip controller, as you take your hand off the strip controller whilst moving it
the string will free oscillate.

- When bowing using the strip controller, using less bow force on the lower notes as you are reversing the direction of the bow helps avoid
the string deviating from Helmholtz motion."

written by: keyman

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:04:09 +0000 GMT

@mikemilton
You are right about strip controller is ligther in the PICO, above all it's a matter of time and getting used to them!

There's more info on the topic here and here

@ semiphrase
Welcome to the wonderful harp's...

keyman

written by: semiphrase

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:51:50 +0000 GMT

cheers guys, ill give that a go

written by: ramplate

Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:50:15 +0000 GMT

Hi

Had a question or three - and found the answers I needed lol
Lesson one - go through all the tutorials lol