Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: New (delighted) user - one issue

Most Recent

written by: geert

Hi Mark,

Thanks for mentioning this, I now recall that I had the same findings when I first learned to play with the cello model. Not pressing down on the keys prevents sound from being generated and can lead to the illusion that the strip controller isn't working right. Once I was told about the key pressure being linked to the cello sound in such a way, it became very natural indeed.

Do let us know how you get on with it now.

Best regards,

Geert
Eigenlabs

written by: markybuzz

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:54:29 +0100 BST

Hi All

I have recently received my pico and I have'nt stopped playing with it for days. I now have a room full of neglected guitars and basses.

I do have one slight issue though. The ribbon controller operation seems scratchy at best. so much so that i have stopped using it. Is there a way of increasing the sensitivity of the ribbon controller?

When it works, it works as advertised, but seems to require a large contact area of the finger, meaning that casual swipes or a more expressive approach (like bowing) is difficult to achieve.

I willingly concede that I just might not have the hang of it yet, but i would be greatful for some input from the forum members.

Still delighted though!!!!

written by: carvingCode

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:59:25 +0100 BST

I am experiencing the same thing. The ribbon controller is really not usable in any meaningful way musically. I'm using the Windows OS version fo EigenD and was thinking it may be related to it.

Peace.

written by: natcl

Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:42:17 +0100 BST

Same here... It's a shame because the keys and breath controller are working so well... They are probably using a resistance based sensor, Capacitive sensors are usually more sensitive to light pressure.

written by: matspan

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:33:19 +0100 BST

I agree! I have a lot of problems with the strip controller, sometimes it doesn't seem to work at all, but other times it's fine it's very temperamental to say the least. I'm using it on Mac and am about to try on Windows to see if it makes a difference.

written by: matspan

Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:34:13 +0100 BST

I agree! I have a lot of problems with the strip controller, sometimes it doesn't seem to work at all, but other times it's fine it's very temperamental to say the least. I'm using it on Mac and am about to try on Windows to see if it makes a difference.

I too am very pleased with the other aspects of the pico.

written by: john

Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:36:26 +0100 BST

The Strip Controller on the Pico is a resistive sensor, not capacitive, as natcl pointed out. We looked hard at capacitive sensors when designing the Eigenharps, which are much more sensitive to light touch, but they did not have the resolution that we can achieve with the resistive type, despite having advantages in sensitivity and cost (they are in fact cheaper as a general rule). The resolution issue was a real deal breaker for us at the time as we knew from early playing on prototype Alpha's that the immediate use for the strip was large pitchbends, and sensor resolution was key to making these playable. The capacitive sensors then in use were not quite good enough. Things have moved on since then for capacitive sensors and it is possible that we may switch to them in a future version of the Pico, but it won't be for a while yet. We'd certainly like to for a variety of reasons, if it becomes possible, if for no other reason than that people are now becoming more used to capacitive sensors and expect the strip to trigger with a much lighter touch.

In the meantime, you should find the Pico strip to be quite consistent and playable. It should not be at all inconsistent if you are applying enough pressure. It does require a firm and consistent press in the center to activate though, so please have a go at pressing harder, and keeping the press to the middle of the strip not to the sides. If you're still having trouble after doing this then it's possible that you have faulty controller and we will do our best to get this fixed for you as quickly as possible. Please give Aaron a call in customer services and he can arrange collection of your instrument. You should not experience any difference at all between software versions either, I cannot imagine how this would happen outside of some extremely esoteric bug (which is of course possible if unlikely).

I would say though that of the three instruments we have picked up so far for this fault, all were actually fine and were returned unchanged, it was the player expecting a lighter touch in the end, not a faulty strip. Those sensors generally work well or not at all in our experience, and our outgoing final quality check does include a fairly extensive test of the strip performance, so we haven't yet seen many actual field failures (at which point I am grasping for the nearest piece of wood!) ..

Please let me know how you get on...

John

Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:19:31 +0100 BST

Just wanted to chime in also. I've played the Pico for many months and actually love the strip controller, you just have to find the pressure and grip that works for you. I simply play by putting my thumb on the back of the Pico and pressing down with my whole first phalange on the strip controller. It's very expressive and the cello bowing feels wonderful.

I really do encourage everyone to experiment and find what works for you, just as with any instrument you have to physically make it 'your own' to be expressive on it.

Take care,

Geert

written by: markybuzz

Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:46:47 +0100 BST

Hi Again

Many thanks to John and Geert for the practical advice. I have discovered that the problem with the Cello model is a hold over from playing stringed instruments including arco on the double bass. I have found that i need to apply more pressure on the key when playing with the strip.

This is realistic in one sense as on the actual instruments, a certain amount of pressure is required to hold the string to the fret board.

I think that in my case though, I have always trained myself to use only enough effort to produce the sound and no more. In other words, to be as efficient with technique as possible. I guess I just need more practice....

I have also discovered that I can play tremolo notes by simply keeping the finger in one place on the strip and wiggling it back and forth like vibrato on a guitar or bass string. This is interesting as the attack on the note sounds exactly like the 'chirrup' of the string starting under the bow.

I am constantly surprised that this behavior changes with the clarinet model, which is extremely touch sensitive, and then to the piano, which is reactive to input on the keys. This makes the Pico feel like a different instrument every time you switch models. Very cool.

I will keep experimenting!

Mark

Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:23:49 +0100 BST

Hi Mark,

Thanks for mentioning this, I now recall that I had the same findings when I first learned to play with the cello model. Not pressing down on the keys prevents sound from being generated and can lead to the illusion that the strip controller isn't working right. Once I was told about the key pressure being linked to the cello sound in such a way, it became very natural indeed.

Do let us know how you get on with it now.

Best regards,

Geert
Eigenlabs

Please log in to join the discussions