Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: Organising Soundfonts

Most Recent

written by: EdisonRex

I have quite a few of those large soundfont libraries set up. It's a good way to do it although when you get to lots of sounds in a library, flicking through them starts to be an issue again.

I've been experimenting a bit with Swami on Linux. I like the interface better than Viena (although the newest version of Viena is vastly improved from the earlier versions). And a port of Swami for OSX is more likely, given time and some funding for that project.

Ultimately I want to not have many single soundfont files at all in my top level sounds folder. But it'll take some time to get there. I'm finding that I am using the 4 samplers as much as I am using the 4 AU slots now on my Alpha.

written by: garthpaine

Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:53:43 +0000 GMT

Hi Guys,

I am building up some soundfonts and I want to place them in folders inside the Eigenlabs/Soundfonts directory, but the browser does not recognise the folders - it makes it really messy to have to place all soundfonts in one long list - can we get folders recognised in the Sf2 browser? Thanks, Garth

written by: keyman

Mon, 15 Nov 2010 01:19:38 +0000 GMT

It's definitely usefull !! if it's easy "doable" ...

keyman

written by: aaronw

Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:35:29 +0000 GMT

Hi Guys,

I have spoken to our software team and they have added this as a feature request.

Regards

Aaron
Customer Support

Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:33:08 +0000 GMT

great thanks, this would make a massive difference as is the case with the sample loops system - folders make a big difference to changing on stage or when ever time is important. Cheers, Garth

written by: Kiichi

Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:14:00 +0000 GMT

I fully support this request.

And while we are on the topic, may I add that I love to the possibility to store the sounds on other drives than the system drive? Perhaps make them linkable or something...

Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:46:25 +0000 GMT

The best option for me would be if there was a 'frequently used folder' or 'library' option that allowed the registering of several folders on or off the system disk. I am sure we all have sample and sound font collections on different disks for different purposes, ie. Orchestral, popular etc - it would be great if all of these could show up in the selection panel.

Cheers, Garth

written by: ollie

Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:05:30 +0000 GMT

What are you folks authoring your sound fonts in? Is there a good (or even passable) OSX tool? There is already another thread on this subject, but no one had any really satisfactory answers.

written by: keyman

Sat, 4 Dec 2010 01:50:26 +0000 GMT

Loop Files

Apple Loops Utility

keyman

written by: ollie

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 07:28:36 +0000 GMT

Actually I've got the Loops Utility for creating Apple Loops, but it's SoundFonts I'm asking about. They're essentially the sampler patches - including multiple samples mapped to different ranges of the scale. I've downloaded a bunch from such sites as:
http://soundfonts.homemusician.net/
and http://www.sf2midi.com/soundfonts/
but I want to be able to create my own and wanted to know if there were any other OSX options apart from the unpopular and unfree Polyphontics (http://www.sonicamigos.com/polyphontics/)
You get 10 free SoundFont builds out of Polyphontics before you have to pay for it, so I'm going to give it a try in the meantime

written by: mikemilton

Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:38:28 +0000 GMT

@ollie - This may not answer your question but I use CDExtract to convert to SF2. It is also unfree and it sometimes refuses to fin samples but, since I have Logic Studio, it let me get at the large library that was there. I guess my point is that an SF2 conversion tool lets you use any sample building platform of your choice.

As an aside, I've been surprised to find that many samples that were very boring and static come to life on the eigenharp because of the nuance possible through poly pitch, yaw and pressure as well as effects.

m

written by: phyvel

Sun, 4 Dec 2011 14:57:32 +0000 GMT

I'm probably asking this in the wrong thread, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have just purchased the pico, and I'm having problems finding the ~/Library/Eigenlabs/Soundfont folder, as directed in the instructions of how to install soundfonts. I have found my library folder, but poof, no eigenlabs. I have found eigenlabs in applications, but poof, no library. I have even searched "soundfont", but the only folder which shows up, is that which is on the thumbdrive. Please help!!! I'm stuck with only the few sounds which were installed with the application... and that just won't do.

written by: NothanUmber

Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:18:39 +0000 GMT

Are you using a Mac?
If yes, the "~" in the path means you have to look into your user directory (there are two library folders, a global one and one per user, you have to use the latter one).
For me that is:
/Users/ferdinand/Library/Eigenlabs/Soundfont

On Windows the same directory is located here for me:
D:\Ferdinand\Documents\Eigenlabs\Soundfont

Sun, 4 Dec 2011 16:58:25 +0000 GMT

I am using a Mac. I have gone through my entire computer, including the path as shown in your post, only using my user path. The only place I find and eigenlabs folder is inside the application folder, which contains only the install files and quick references. I am using osX Lion. I went as far as creating a new user profile, and still have no library folder, inside it's user folder. I have only one library folder, on the entire Mac, and this is the one which contains no eigenlabs folder or file.

written by: NothanUmber

Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:47:08 +0000 GMT

That's strange. Perhaps something went wrong when you installed EigenD? Or is the Library folder inside the user directory on the Mac hidden by default? (Sorry, I'm not a Mac expert). Perhaps try to make all hidden files visible by typing this into your terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
(By setting this to NO again, you can disable showing hidden files)

Sun, 4 Dec 2011 18:45:59 +0000 GMT

Hahaha!!! Thank you, sir. That was it. The folder was hidden.

written by: Zygurt

Fri, 6 Jan 2012 01:57:51 +0000 GMT

I've been playing around with creating sf2 files of late and have come across an easier way to keep them organised. I was also surprised when folders didn't work. The other thing that surprised me was that to activate the sound, you have to go into the instrument, and then select the preset.

What I am now doing is creating 1 sf2, with many presets within it. This way it's quite easy to flick through different sounds. I'm using Viena Soundfont Editor, and have found it really really easy. As long as the samples are named correctly. Select samples, auto create Instrument and preset, Distribute over keys, Done. It would be nice if you could set looping points for the audio files, but I'm happy with what I have at the moment.

written by: EdisonRex

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:13:08 +0000 GMT

I have quite a few of those large soundfont libraries set up. It's a good way to do it although when you get to lots of sounds in a library, flicking through them starts to be an issue again.

I've been experimenting a bit with Swami on Linux. I like the interface better than Viena (although the newest version of Viena is vastly improved from the earlier versions). And a port of Swami for OSX is more likely, given time and some funding for that project.

Ultimately I want to not have many single soundfont files at all in my top level sounds folder. But it'll take some time to get there. I'm finding that I am using the 4 samplers as much as I am using the 4 AU slots now on my Alpha.

Please log in to join the discussions