Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Need documentation

Most Recent

written by: prstorms

Foveus... help a brother physician out. Please see my "Trilian 101" beg post for info on how to get rolling with this AU.

All: sorry to highjack the topic for an off-topic personal request. Now returning to your local programming....

I posted on this topic a LONG time ago. The lack of documentation can be frustrating and the apparent need for a PhD in computer engineering/sound engineering/some kind of engineering has been frustrating as well. Did ANYONE have the impression upon seeing a demo of this instrument on YouTube that it would be a cinch to pick up and play? Not me! I'm looking at a blank palette of 120 keys that can be configured in more ways than I can conceive of. I can run a number of sounds simultaneously and manage all that swapping around LIVE. I keep coming back to the instrument because it's interesting, pure and simple. Sometimes I take a break and pull out my analog instruments to give my brain a rest, but I always find myself coming back to the Eigenharp... frustrations and all.

Regards,
Pat

written by: GoneCaving

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:17:19 +0100 BST

Happy to add to Mike's vote of confidence in Eigenlabs. I was an early adopter of Pico, have tracked the software releases on the unstable branches since the outset, and found it playable out of the box. The documentation on playing the instrument is fine as far as I'm concerned.

The problem lies with the step to being able to being able to reconfigure the agents. The internals are complex. The documentation currently isn't sufficient, and while the seminars helped, they didn't go far enough. More details on the overall structure of the factory setups would have helped us get a better understanding of the concepts. However, I recognise that it's also in flux, and I support John's decision to focus on the development. To get to grips with this it seems you need to spend a lot of time watching the seminars, reading the wiki, rinse and repeat. I'm hoping that workbench will help in this regard.

I'm happy that Eigenlabs have delivered on their promise to open the software (as a software developer with experience of opening a large codebase to the public (OpenOffice, 10M+ lines of code), there's a lot that could be done to make this better & aid community contributions!) and it was enough to make me buy an alpha. I'm equally happy to pay for a major release, for the iOS version of Stage (once I buy an iPad!), and for Workbench. I've often wondered about the economics, and John's comment do not surprise me.

So John and all at Eigenlabs, thanks and keep up the good work!

D

written by: john

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:17:50 +0100 BST

Hi Mark

It does seem that it might be an idea for you to download and try EigenD 1.3. All of those features mentioned in your comment (many of which go beyond what was originally planned two years ago for what we then called 'Workbench') are present and stable in 1.3, currently available on the site for free. Please substitute '1.3' for '1.4' in my post if this makes it easier - many of your points don't really make sense in that context. 1.4 is exactly the same as 1.3 in terms of features, and 1.3 is the current Stable.

1.3, incidentally, was in it's 'Testing' release for a very long time (as you point out we only promoted it to Stable a couple of weeks ago) as we have a policy of not putting any release into 'Stable' with any known bugs. There were a lot of minor things that popped up in testing, mainly with third party AU's and VST's that meant that this phase took a long time, whereas in reality it was a good release a long time before it entered Stable, as evidenced by the many people who were gigging with it, sometimes to very large audiences, from the spring onwards. We're just very conservative these days about what we attach the 'Stable' label to. 1.4 incidentally is just going into Testing today and only has a very small number of bugs against it at the moment, so I don't think it'll be more than a couple of weeks before that is the new Stable.

On the 'promises made' front, which is what your concern seems to be about, please let me quote that old forum post of mine in full:

"
We are not planning to charge for the Workbench, and in fact you will find elements of it's functionality creeping into the system slowly over the next couple of months (starting with the Belcanto scripting support in the exisiting browser). It is now likely (we been doing a lot of brainstorming here in the last couple of weeks, largely driven by all your feedback here) that what was originally intended as one monster application will in fact become several smaller ones
"

This is exactly what I was referring to in my explanation and turned out to be a fairly accurate prediction of what did happen. Please note two things. Firstly (and I can split hairs with the best if you really want me too) I said 'we're not planning to', which is quite different from 'we're not going to'. We weren't planning to charge for anything in software at that point. It was two years ago and many hundreds of thousands of pounds of costs ago. Circumstances change, and we cannot continue in the same way forever. Secondly, exactly as I said, lots of the Workbench functionality made its way steadily into the freely release EigenD over the next 20 months, including the scripting support talked about there. It was called different things (Stage, MIDI Matrix, Eigencommander), not Workbench, but that is what happened. It's there now and in fact there are in addition a whole load of things that we never ever spoke about back then, new features, quite a few of which were driven by user feedback and none of which we have charged for. Much of EigenD is Workbench already. The fact that we have chosen to make one new part of that a chargeable item seems quite reasonable to me, and if you want to interpret 'we're not planning to charge for the Workbench' said in 2009 as meaning that we must give you unlimited feature updates in EigenD for free for ever then I'm sorry I don't really know what to say to you. There have been so many unannounced, unsold, unpromised new features that we have given everyone for free that this whole argument seems worthless to me. Think of it this way - instead of the Workbench you had in mind, we chose to do only the part of it and spend the rest of the resources on something else that users kept telling us was more important.

When we started work on what we are here referring to as 'Workbench' we actually had a brief debate as to what to call it - in the end we decided to recycle the name Workbench but in hindsight I think it may have been better to call it something else. 'Setup Wizard' perhaps. It is a new product, it is not what we were talking about then, much of which has been implemented in other ways since. The only thing it shares is the ability to give a graphical overview of plumbing, which to be honest isn't as useful as you'd think - that we already had in late 2009 (as I've discussed) and it's really confusing without other tools, as we rapidly discovered in 2010. 2.0 contains an awful lot more work than that, things that make EigenD more efficient, more able to be configured and generally better.

And once again, if you don't want to you really don't need to buy it, 1.3 is a great, solid and well featured release with a lot of control and many, many features that were never even envisaged back in 2009. 1.4 will be same, it just has some nice (about 20% Geert reckons) performance improvements and headphones for Tau and Alpha on Windows. They are both perfectly suited to live performance, support Windows and Mac and do most anything that any normal live performer wants to do.

On a final note, I'm sorry if you feel that we've let you down in some way. We've worked very hard over the last couple of years to make EigenD and the Eigenharps into a dependable and usable instrument for live performance. I think we've succeeded, and many of the people who use and play them live seem to agree but obviously somewhere you've not had this experience. I'm not sure why, but if you'd like to continue this conversation offline please feel free to write to me directly.

John

written by: Tenebrous

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 19:26:37 +0100 BST

dhjdhj said:
If that's not going to happen, I offer a gorgeous Eigenharp Alpha for sale at a (sadly) significantly discounted price.

I'm already offering mine for sale, but no actual takers as yet.

Why am I selling? Primarily due to the Windows compatibility delays, including the "promises" that were repeatedly made and subsequently broken.

I received my Alpha on Tue, 25 May 2010.

The first Windows-compatible EigenD that included support for the Alpha was made public Wed, 25 May 2011. Exactly a year, and my warranty had effectively expired (although Eigenlabs kindly extended that... for a month).

This FAQ entry still states "...A public version of (the Windows software) has been delayed until late April 2010..." so obviously that's out-of-date, and it also didn't state it would be Alpha-only.

I'm not going to post the entire chronology of when emails were sent, promises made and broken, but you can all guess I was pretty miffed.

When the Alpha-supporting Windows version WAS finally made available, I'd had 1 year of messing around with a Mac I couldn't afford, learning that as well as the Alpha for a few months, using other instruments instead, and eventually just reverting to the way I used to work with my DAW etc, because I just wanted to get on and get my music done, and I was totally fed up of waiting to be honest.

written by: geert

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:21:27 +0100 BST

@Tenebours, I'm personally really sorry that you feel this way, certainly since I remember how excited you were and indeed bought an Alpha when there was only Mac support.

However, I also remember John offering to send you a Mac Mini free of charge so that you could use your Alpha even though you bought it when no Windows support was available at all. I also think you never followed up on that offer given your current statements, but I don't know the details of the email exchanges. So yes, we blew our deadline (as a software developer you surely know how that goes), but it seems to me that you were offered a solution so that you could use your instrument. I think it's only fair that if you decide to try to depict a factual representation of the timeline, that you include all relevant parts of the story.

written by: keyman

Sat, 24 Sep 2011 01:25:42 +0100 BST

Hi, to all...

I don't really understand this.... someone draw a picture, or give me an electric shock; as to whats missing in "the big picture":

I bought my Eigenharp PICO in January 2010 from "word here, word there" and for what I read about; it came out light, sturdy, innovative, full of features, with the same keys as the flagship ALPHA and same software at its heart. I've started using the PICO live, two weeks later!! in the show TiToTis - Dance and Live Music for babies ( not willing to promote anything nor myself... search
With this show I did many travels, reaching by now almost 100 presentations; the PICO went thru the rigors of the "road", airport scanners, late night hotel rooms jam sessions... many curious hands and eyes...
and as time permitting and passion grew, dive into Belcanto, customizing the PICO with my own ideas and sharing it with other PICO players and ALWAYS with excellent Eigenlabs support.

ALPHA contest went by and some how I truly decided that a real change in my composer/musician career was needed to happened.
Enough of plastic keys from many keyboards and the predominance of keyboards; ordered the Eigenharp ALPHA.

Waiting for the ALPHA to arrive, I got the chance to try out a TAU (all ALPHA's where out in concerts/presentations at the time in Eigenlabs Covent Garden office). Really liked the form factor, size, playability and with a Lisbon/ London flight time, studied what seems a "deficient" instrument manual, and got myself playing and jamming with EigenD nice features on the TAU like Recording, Drum Loops, using the Percussion keys and some not present on the PICO , the Arranger, split keygroups...

Got my EIgenharp ALPHA in October 2010, just couple os months have passed since having the PICO, sure not everything is easy and wonderful, but Eigenlabs added the STAGE, with apps for the Iphone and Ipad, and giving more features and support for all this wonderful 3 instruments.

The ALPHA as all my musical attention, and be it in the studio or out live not only it delivers but also impresses;
Played Bach after three moths?!? composed an entire full 1 hour dance piece with it (IN CASTELO) and performed live outdoors, one week of hard, windy, humid rehearsals and 3 night shows.

Final result?
I have two instruments capable of stunning expressiveness, at you're finger tips musical power, look great live and are
fun playing with. (manuals??? so that they can take dust in the shelfs?? its what most matter to audiences and musical compositions)

Keep doing the most expressive way for musicians express thru their musical art!!!

Keyman
António Machado

written by: Tenebrous

Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:02:57 +0100 BST

geert said:
@Tenebours, I'm personally really sorry that you feel this way, certainly since I remember how excited you were and indeed bought an Alpha when there was only Mac support.

- Absolutely correct, but it was also under the assumption & promises etc that Windows support wasn't very far off.

geert said:
However, I also remember John offering to send you a Mac Mini free of charge so that you could use your Alpha even though you bought it when no Windows support was available at all.

- Again you're right, my apologies for leaving this out of my original rant.

geert said:
I also think you never followed up on that offer given your current statements

- Actually I did. I emailed John basically saying that since I had been told that Windows support would be out in a few weeks (from then), that I would hold off and wait until then, since obviously I want to use it on Windows. *NOT* on a Mac. A while later (I'm sorry but I can't remember the exact timing) I sent another email asking if the Mac mini was still available, but I never received a response (and admittedly did not keep asking).

geert said:
but I don't know the details of the email exchanges.

- No that's not really the issue - hence I didn't want to just list all the emails back and forth. The point of my rant was to rant about the broken promises and expectations, not to do the usual "he said this, I said this...".

geert said:
So yes, we blew our deadline (as a software developer you surely know how that goes)

- Oh absolutely! I do know how that goes... but a YEAR? Especially when it seemed that were given to me were that the software was pretty much done in May 2010, just not ready for public consumption? I agree that all the statements given by Eigenlabs didn't *actually* say they were this close, but this is the impression that was given. And a year, over which I had to keep questioning "where is it? where is it?"... I stated at the start as well that I would have been more than happy to use a completely crashy test version with all the caveats that implies. I believe I even said this on multiple occasions via email.

geert said:
... but it seems to me that you were offered a solution so that you could use your instrument. I think it's only fair that if you decide to try to depict a factual representation of the timeline, that you include all relevant parts of the story.

- You're absolutely right that I missed this out in my original rant, it certainly wasn't intentional. However, Windows is my system. I use it for everything I do musically. So "use your instrument" means on Windows, to me. I didn't want to sit and play it on a Mac, and learn how to use a Mac, and have to buy extra software to record the stuff and redirect the MIDI and all that malarky. I wanted to incorporate it into everything else I do on Windows.

- Yes, I knew in advance when I purchased it that Windows support was not available *right away*. But it was bought on the promises and expectations that I was given that it would *not* be a whole year until I simply *press the keys and have it make a sound in Windows*, which is all I ever wanted, and all I ever asked for in the various email exchanges.

- I have to say that it was *entirely* my choice whether I bought it or not. I do not regret buying it, but I do regret the time that has passed. It's still a darned exciting instrument, but the moment has passed for me I'm afraid.

Thanks for your reply Geert.

written by: geert

Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:16:16 +0100 BST

@Tenebrous, thanks for following up. I do suggest that you take you Alpha out again and try 1.3 or 1.4 on Windows now. Version EigenD 1.4.6 with the 1.0.8 driver even has the first support for the headphones and microphone.

I agree that it might seem like we were a year out of our deadline but the April 2010 date really was for Pico support, the Alpha was always planned for many months later since it required writing a whole different USB driver that needed a lot of testing. I'm really sorry if somehow that was communicated wrongly.

I do hope you take a bit of time to see if the current software can't get your excitement flowing again, on Windows this time. Given how passionate you used to be, there's a good chance just sitting down with the instrument will kick it all back into gear. After having played the Alpha on stage quite a few times now I can tell that it's really a thrill outside of the practice environment also. Finally, if you do plan on selling your instrument, you might want to look at sites that are dedicated to that, people on these forums usually already have an Eigenharp and as you've noticed you'll likely get very little response.

Take care,

Geert

written by: Foveus

Sat, 24 Sep 2011 16:04:59 +0100 BST

As an Alpha early adopter, non-musician, non-software engineer I feel compelled to chime in here. As a busy surgeon and father of 2 young children you may ask why I would invest in such an expensive and uncharted instrument such as the Eigenharp Alpha. Well, I've always been very passionate about music and always secretly wished I hadn't given up piano lessons as a youngster. My yearning to create music has always been with me but, due to medical school and residency and life in general there was no time to dedicate to music lessons as an adult and I was constantly nagged by the feeling that no matter how hard I tried with guitar, piano or bass I would never be able to play the type of (complex) music I was passionate about (progressive rock, jazz fusion etc.). Despite that, before the birth of my first child 3 years ago, I bought a beautiful and expensive Rickenbacker bass guitar along with some books and online lessons. Long story short, it collected dust after a few frustrating early attempts at learning to play it ... and despite ample 'documentation', learning resources and teachers, it was clear I would never become Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, Tony Levin, or Les Claypool. It went into its case and has been in the closet ever since.

Fast forward a year and a half to late 2009. I returned home from an incredible and inspiring concert by the band Renaissance and was nonchalantly surfing the web when I came across the first Eigenlabs demonstration video, the one from Air Studios. I was immediately taken aback by the beauty, complexity, expressiveness and versatility of these novel lust-worthy instruments. I then watched another early video in which John was interviewed and he made a very compelling statement which immediately hit home for me. I'm paraphrasing, but he said 'one does not need to have any formal musical background to play these instruments'. Aha!! Could this be my chance to play a real instrument and make music without the benefit of years and years of music lessons .. indeed it seemed so. So I bought one of the first Alpha's, sight unseen, in the hope that this would be the answer to my life-long inner musical yearnings.

I received the Alpha in New York City in January of 2010, and was immediately impressed by the quality and workmanship of this luxury instrument. Everything about the experience, including customer service from Eigenlabs, assured me it was well worth the admittedly steep buy-in. Right out of the box, as a non-musician, I was able to make fairly satisfying sounds .. way way more satisfying than when I first picked up the Rickenbacker. I watched the tutorial videos and got through the first half of the reference guide and could do a few basic things with it. But there were a few glitches here and there and I found it difficult with my limited free time (busy job and now 2 babies) to really 'go deep' with it. Since there were often such long gaps between playing it I found that I needed to start fresh each time re-learning the lingo and the key-presses for changing instruments and splits etc. So in essence for the first year of ownership I didn't do much with it other than ogle at its beauty while it sat, largely unplayed, in its stand in my living room. And despite that I never once regretted the purchase or considered selling it.

Then in early 2011, things started progressing fairly rapidly in Eigenharp Land and it suddenly became interesting again. Stage was a huge advance for someone like me who didn't have the time or basic knowledge to learn Belcanto. EigenD updates started coming in every few weeks which in my experience is unprecedented and demonstrated a singular devotion from the fine folks at Eigenlabs. The fact that these were all free updates says even more about this incredibly devoted company. The forums began heating up and the wiki started filling up and I could always count on seeing a new inspiring video on Geert's Eigenzone site or on youtube. The seminars were also helpful as are the google+ hangouts now. If I had a question, and I've had many, I could almost always find the answer by searching or posting to the forum and I found that I was really starting to make progress with the Alpha .. playing AU's, recording and un-recording, switching drum loops and instruments all became second nature and seamless. And now, as a music hobbyist with no formal musical training, I am able to jam with friends, write songs, and record very satisfying multi-loop-based songs. With the brilliant Trillian software I am able to play fairly sophisticated and life-like bass lines that would have taken me years to learn on the Rickenbacker (watch out Squire). With one button press I can easily switch scales and tonics on the fly and convincingly sound like a well-trained real musician .. again, this would have taken years and years of lessons and practice with any other instrument, time which I do not have.

If I were to only use the Alpha in split 1 with only the bass guitar sound it would still be worth every penny I spent because, for the first time in my life, I am effortlessly creating satisfying music ... and that, quite simply, is priceless. John, if that was a part of your vision when you set out to create these revolutionary instruments a decade ago (and I'm sure it was), then you have certainly succeeded and your dream has been realized ... and I for one can't thank you and Eigenlabs enough.

With sincere gratitude,
Chris Starr

written by: NothanUmber

Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:06:49 +0100 BST

Regarding expectations: My initial expectation was to play the Tau with a special layout and custom sounds - optimally based on Windows as that's what I use on the main machine. First I thought I'd need the Workbench in order to transform the initial setup into this target setup.
The Windows version of EigenD works mostly reliable now on my side since the last months with both Tau and Pico. And with the Wiki entries and video tutorials I managed to build my custom setup even without the Workbench.
So for me I think I got what I paid for and am satisfied so far.

But even for someone who is used to "complicated computer stuff" (what seems to apply to many of the Eigenharp users ;) ) this setup process was not intuitive and at least I couldn't repeat it out of memory without looking into the docu again.
So I am looking forward to the new workbench in order to see in how far Eigenlabs managed to make modifying setups or even building them from scratch easy. Depending on expectations because of the complexity of the setups it perhaps will still be too complicated for many though, especially those who see the Eigenharp mainly as an instrument and just want to play.

For those it will presumably be more important to have a variety of premade setups to choose from that could be delivered as part of new EigenD versions - the current setups are not everybody's cup of tea (e.g. regarding chromatic tonal range of the default layout). Desired user experience: Install software (one installer), select desired setup (once), plug in instrument, play.
Establishing good standard setups is also important for writing pieces, Eigenharp lessons etc. - if everybody has an own setup/layout then everything has to be written/transcribed and learnt per individual instrument. But to see which setups/layouts are good we first need some choice :)

In order to achieve that (without external plugins, subhosts etc.) it would be necessary to have more flexible out of the box sound sources - I have great hopes for the Workbench as a "modular synth environment" in that regard that allows to combine existing and new elemental sound sources and modifiers for some really great soundbanks. (Alchemy is nice, unfortunately it does not support the most expressive capabilities of the Eigenharp - only aftertouch as per-note parameter out of the box etc.)

You mentioned that you have investors for EigenD alone, so presumably there is already a business-plan that makes sense for EigenD in it's own right ;)
So just what I hope:
Would it e.g. make sense to release a stripped down version of the Workbench/EigenD without the Eigenharp specific agents (just sound sources+effects) that can be used as VST/AU plugin and as native "compound rig" EigenD agent for a reasonable price? With the interface specs to write plugins being open that would invite people to create soundbanks and write plugins that make use of the capabilities. (This would mean that setups can be loaded hierarchically - "mini Workbench" provides just a patch for one modular "sound rig" created by a sound designer, "full Workbench" loads that rig as part of a big setup with all the Eigenharp agents).
Seeing e.g. Steinberg with their expression support in the new VST standard there could be a demand for more expressively controlable modular synths. (Perhaps some hosts even start to natively support the eigenD agent format as VST/AU are limited in many aspects for expressive playing)
Then we could hope for some really good sound presets and hopefully also sound source- and filter etc. agents from the "modular community" which is much broader than the Eigenharp fan club or even commercial developers could jump in that see a market then.

Then people with the "full version" of the Workbench could make some really nice standard setups for themselves and the community what would be the best thing for the "broad masses" (if that term appies...) of just-want-to-play Eigenharp users.

I won't mind to pay a reasonable price for the Workbench in order to see this interesting approach having a future.

P.S.: Perhaps you could release the sources of the initial version of the Workbench so people shut up complaining about "promises" - because that was what they could initially expect regarding Workbench.

Greetings,
NothanUmber

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:23:04 +0100 BST

@Chris Starr - exactly. I wish I could have said it that well but your post captured my feelings quite well

Cheers, m

written by: keyman

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 19:51:19 +0100 BST

I second Mike here, and twitted about @Chris Starr post - "...true and honest...".
Also have that Air Studios presentation well imprinted...

keyman

written by: NothanUmber

Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:07:16 +0100 BST

Foveus said:
With the brilliant Trillian software I am able to play fairly sophisticated and life-like bass lines that would have taken me years to learn on the Rickenbacker

Good to hear that this is so much fun for you! :)

While it can be nice to be able to mimik playing an instrument that one normally can't play such an emulation might possibly have difficulties to be accepted by the audience and will most probably provoke strong disaffirmation from players of the original instrument (particularly if it's easier to play and sounds "not quite there"... Comparable to the current situation of keyboarders who try to play a guitar, a drumkit or a sax sound etc. in a band)
For just having fun we can ignore all this of course.
But to be accepted as a proper (non "second class") instrument from musicians and a broader audience - imho the key for getting more people on board - it would be better to find new sounds - perhaps even "the" Eigenharp sound as too much diversity could be mistaken as arbitrariness. (That shouldn't hinder people who want to experiment with new things to do so, but many want a defined base to start with I guess.)
Perhaps we should do a sound design competiton to try to find "the signature sound" once the Workbench is released :)

P.S.: Hope this did not sound too negative or discouraging regarding bass playing on the Eigenharp - it definitely is not meant that way! It's nice to hear from people who have found "their" instrument!
Based on the current set of prepackaged sounds (piano, bass, drums, clarinet, cello etc.) I just wanted to hint into a direction where I can see a chance for the Eigenharp to survive in the long run - which imho is not instrument emulation. (Even if it would be a near perfect simulation - people have spent their lives on mastering their instruments, if a "wannabe" tries to do the same with a hipp new instrument in a few weeks they will diss this instrument with all their might - and they are on the majority! Don't step others on the toes if you don't have to...)

Greetings,
NothanUmber

written by: 0beron

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:55:26 +0100 BST

Just going to add myself to the list of happy campers.

Maybe some people would consider my view slightly warped based on the knowledge that I find the fact that the Eigenharp has such an in depth command line interface to be a major positive factor, but then I'm a bit of geek in general.

I accept many of the points made above, particularly about the state of the documentation:
- I thought the seminars were brilliant and wish we'd had more of this earlier on.
- The written reference is just that, and there is a lack of good, printed (or at least non-video web content) tutorial material.
- John's reasons for both of the above are very valid though, namely that documenting a moving target is a bit of a waste of time.

I've used the seminar material to try and customise things, and it is very slow going and frustrating sometimes, but everytime I do it I get a sense of the potential that is there once the right tools arrive. In the meantime I am sticking to default setups and putting more time into learning finger patterns and fiddling with sound design, whilst quietly waiting and hoping that Workbench will be the power tool that will both allow non-techies to get more flexibility and allow techies to really get creative with EigenD.

I'm maybe a little disappointed with the long wait, but that's just impatience on my part. As long as workbench doesn't cost the earth I'm prepared to pay for it as I know that software of any sort is eyewateringly expensive to develop.

@Foveus - I also have Trilian and have played it live a number of times, providing some lovely Fretless sounds. Bass lines I feel fairly safe with now, although playing one finger bass forever would be a bit of a waste of all the keys on the Alpha. I need to work more on splitting my brain in two, one half for each hand...

written by: prstorms

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 02:02:27 +0100 BST

Foveus... help a brother physician out. Please see my "Trilian 101" beg post for info on how to get rolling with this AU.

All: sorry to highjack the topic for an off-topic personal request. Now returning to your local programming....

I posted on this topic a LONG time ago. The lack of documentation can be frustrating and the apparent need for a PhD in computer engineering/sound engineering/some kind of engineering has been frustrating as well. Did ANYONE have the impression upon seeing a demo of this instrument on YouTube that it would be a cinch to pick up and play? Not me! I'm looking at a blank palette of 120 keys that can be configured in more ways than I can conceive of. I can run a number of sounds simultaneously and manage all that swapping around LIVE. I keep coming back to the instrument because it's interesting, pure and simple. Sometimes I take a break and pull out my analog instruments to give my brain a rest, but I always find myself coming back to the Eigenharp... frustrations and all.

Regards,
Pat

Please log in to join the discussions