Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Need documentation

Most Recent

written by: prstorms

Foveus... help a brother physician out. Please see my "Trilian 101" beg post for info on how to get rolling with this AU.

All: sorry to highjack the topic for an off-topic personal request. Now returning to your local programming....

I posted on this topic a LONG time ago. The lack of documentation can be frustrating and the apparent need for a PhD in computer engineering/sound engineering/some kind of engineering has been frustrating as well. Did ANYONE have the impression upon seeing a demo of this instrument on YouTube that it would be a cinch to pick up and play? Not me! I'm looking at a blank palette of 120 keys that can be configured in more ways than I can conceive of. I can run a number of sounds simultaneously and manage all that swapping around LIVE. I keep coming back to the instrument because it's interesting, pure and simple. Sometimes I take a break and pull out my analog instruments to give my brain a rest, but I always find myself coming back to the Eigenharp... frustrations and all.

Regards,
Pat

written by: Larryheil

Tue, 21 Jun 2011 23:34:46 +0100 BST

I have had my Alpha for 4 days now and agree that there needs to be better documentation for it. It is most depressing to have this instrument with such potential and not have any way to make use of it. Also the view expressed by Lambert seems to say that he does not want the user to know how to be able to access all the features unless one is a super smart programmer. I cannot even get info about connecting pedals to my base station pro. I am no dummy, I have been using Ableton Live for over a year and have no trouble figuring it out.

written by: tefman3d

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 03:31:58 +0100 BST

IMHO, the manuals are fine. Just read them carefully, & press the buttons! I also find stage to be a great asset. The video tutorials are
great & I look forward to the ipad version of stage. Workbench sounds
excellent too. All this support is awesome. If you don't think so......
try getting this level of support for a monome / tenori-on or windsynth.

Calm down y'all and just play.

Best, tefman3d

PS - ever tried to read and understand an old roland manual?

written by: keyman

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:12:10 +0100 BST

Agree with tefman3d....!!

Playing with this fabulous instruments IS the ultimate wonder, and it was my main goal since the beginning.

From a musician point of view, there's "tons" of customization inside EigenD, either thru Belcanto or STAGE.

off to playing session
Keyman

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:26:13 +0100 BST

First- i am not the enemy. I am very pro Eigenharp. I do not want to see it "die on the vine" because it is too difficult for first time users to use and understand. I do not think that most musicians can or want to learn a sort of programming language such as Belcanto or Eigen D. They will become frustrated and give up on this wonderful instrument. Can one imagine where computers would be today if we all still had to use command line interfaces rather than GUIs ? (Osx, Win7 & et al)
MY software that came with my Alpha (4 days ago) does not have Stage at all.
How do I get this part of the softrware?
Again--- I am only trying to help make this a better experience for a larger group of users!

written by: john

Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:53:34 +0100 BST

The USB stick that ships with the instrument contains the last fully stable version of the software, the 1.2 branch. This is now quite old and does not contain Stage which was introduced in the 1.3 series, which is currently in Testing. It is however very near being the new Stable release, we have a few bugs to iron out first but it will only be a week or two before it is the new standard. Many players are now using 1.3 as if it is stable as it is so much better than the 1.2 branch, it has a lot of new features. You can download it on the software page here. It's an incremental update, so quick to download and install. It also, lie all versions of EigenD, leaves your previous versions intact so should you find it not to your taste you can simply go back to running the 1.2 that you already have installed.

On another note, Belcanto is not actually a programming language and is in fact designed to have a very simple syntax that is easy for musicians to learn. It has proved to be quite good in this respect and more advanced players (many of whom are not programmers in the slightest) use it extensively - it also provides the 'power tool' wherby the system can widely adapted to ones style of playig in a way that a GUI would not enable. It is not however a GUI, and for certain tasks (and for beginners) GUI controls are geneally easier, and this is what Stage (and the soon to be launched Workbench product) is aimed at. I think you will enjoy using it, please give us your feedback. Stage, btw, has a manual page here onthe Wiki. I do encourage you to read the Wiki, it is now extensive in terms of documentation and we have been adding to it consistently over the last year. It is the principal manual for the Eigenharps. If you find it missing things, please let us know, and feel free to contribute if you have the time. Comments from beginners are particularly welcome as the first couple of weeks of owning any new instrument are always hard.

We can't make learning the Eigeharp trivial, they are complex and demanding instruments by nature (and I don't believe that one can truly say that learning any expressive new instrument is easy), but we are working on making the early experience as easy as humanly possible. Stage has gone a long way to helping this.

John

written by: gdorcival

Sun, 4 Sep 2011 13:06:49 +0100 BST

"quote
report abuse
written by: Tenebrous
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:58:35 +0000 GMT
As an iPad owner I'm very excited by this :) Please add me to the list of testers if you have a space :)"
Me too i'm a new user of pico
Guillaume

written by: carvingCode

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 00:28:38 +0100 BST

Great work on the 1.3.X stable release! So much is there.

John, et al - Aren't we getting close enough to warrant proper documentation?

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 08:35:21 +0100 BST

You probably haven't noticed but our documentation has been developing continuously over the last year or so and is now getting fairly complete. We've done some work on the website and you can now see that this is also versioned (link at the top), so one will be able to access older releases if that's what you are using. You will also see that our newest part of EigenD, Stage, has extensive tooltips and help (which is in fact drawn automatically from the Wiki when the software is built).

We will not be producing a printed reference and have decided that the Wiki is where it will all be happening in the future - this seems a more sensible decision to me as it can be searched, versioned and generally kept up to date far more easily. If you have suggestions for improving the content or organisation of this we'd love to hear them. And please feel free to contribute if you have the time..

John

written by: keyman

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:43:34 +0100 BST

All the Quick Reference Guides have bin updated also:
Eigenharp Alpha
Eigenharp Pico
Eigenharp Tau

keyman

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:08:53 +0100 BST

John,
Seems to me that we are in a rut here. Some of us want easier to use docs about our instruments. Eigen labs response is to keep saying what we have on the web site is fine. Though what is on the web site have been updated it is still difficult and disorganized for many of us.
In just a few minutes on the clubhouse last Monday I learned more from Geert than months of trying to understand Belcanto from the web site info.
I wish there was a whole system overview that showed how all the pieces were connected.
Also a pdf document written for us non programmer types would be nice and could be updated as needed and no printing costs,
My impression is that most reference is for those who already understand the system not for new comers.
From my years of experience with complex systems I know that better docs could be made.
I think that most musicians want an instrument that is easier to use and learn than what the Eigenharp is now. I do not know what your market model and plans are but my guess is that having the Eigenharp only appeal to software developers and other super techno types is very small market and a loss to the musical world.

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:26:27 +0100 BST

First, I agree that the documentation has grown in depth and quality. I find it useful and interesting.

That said, and as suggestions were welcomed, here is an observation and a couple of suggestions.

As an observation, the content of the EigenD Reference is less than the content of the full WIKI and, except for the introduction, it feels more like an appendix to a reference than a full reference. Ironically, the more it is completed, the more it feels this way.

I found that it was only when the seminars were offered that I came to understand the system as a whole. The diagrams were particularly useful but the real difference was that the material is organized around goals that players had. If you watch them in hindsight, it is fairly clear that, to explain how to attain those goals, there was a lot of context given followed by the required belcanto.

Suggestion

Turn some of the contextual information in the seminars (and elsewhere in the WIKI) into documentation (possibly in the Introduction or possibly in a section of its own) so that the overall structure of a working system is sketched in and the rest of the material has something to be an appendix to.

Put another way, there is a (relatively small?) section missing that says: this is how a working system is structured and operates followed by the (existing) material that says: here are all the bits and pieces you need if only you knew where they all went and how they work together

Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:28:10 +0100 BST

I think you're probably right Mike, information is spread around in the Wiki and the reference now looks stark by comparison - it was never intended to be a tutorial, more a factual source. A bit of reorganising, editing and a few pages of words could probably produce a more friendly read.

I would add a caveat to this discussion here, to address Larry's point about an overview of the system; We have been working hard behind the scenes on our new product Workbench and the supporting 2.0 release, which in many respects is quite different to the 1.X series. Not to players, but for this audience, who want to tinker, any documentation about the system written for 1.3 or 1.4 would be seriously out of date before Christmas. Workbench makes written documentation about the signal flow fairly pointless as it makes the whole environment visually very discoverable for a power user, without the need for Belcanto. In the same way that Stage has transformed the user experience for non technical players, we think Workbench will do for people who want to build their own custom setups. I really don't want to be spending rare resources documenting a process that currently requires Belcanto and an in depth understanding of the system when that very approach is about to be rendered partly obsolete by new tools.

On that note, I'll be making an announcement about our upcoming release schedule, 2.0, new products (including Workbench) and pricing for those very shortly, so watch this space.

John

PS - Larry, if you have a 'wishlist' of things you'd like documented please post it, and we can all argue about it, and as and when we can find resources we can tick things off. Or anyone who feels able can chip in...

written by: carvingCode

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 01:25:25 +0100 BST

Eigenharp's owner has stated his position on providing user documentation. I don't agree and don't see evidence anywhere in hardware/software to support his position. But, he's the owner and can make his own rules, no matter the impact.

Unfortunately, I have a $750 (hope no Alpha owners are in a similar situation) contraption that is so obtuse to someone that is not devoting 'professional' time to really use. That, and the *still* unreliable performance on Windows7 (ASIO, latency, etc.), it's not usable to me, musically. I even had to purchase additional software (LoopBe) to be able to MIDI wire it into a DAW. Ridonkulous!

I have a number of other instruments I play, and DAW software I use regularly. My Pico gathers dust. All of these other devices have appropriate user documentation that I seldom refer to anymore -- I used it extensively as I was finding my initial way around. But I regularly use all of those while the Pico gathers dust.

And to read that EigenD v2.0 will be some additional cost, still with no proper user documentation, and no guarantee it will be any more reliable on Windows7 -- and no "Thanks" for helping beta test EigenD's software development. I mean, seriously -- that's what this past year has been. Early adopters paying to test your software for you.

Forget the $750 I'm out; this has been an insulting experience. Period. I don't see this improving.

written by: geert

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 08:09:42 +0100 BST

Even though I am now working for Eigenlabs, as a user I do have to chime in here, since I was a regular user for almost a year before.

@Carvingcode I simply don't agree with you. There's a wealth of user documentation, a huge amount, in various forms ... even detailed video tutorials. I was thoroughly impressed by it when I bought my Pico. On top of that Eigenlabs has always been incredibly responsive and helpful with answering questions. It got me playing and composing songs on the Pico in a matter of days when I got it in December 2009. There's much more and better documentation now even. However, it seems that you're complaining that the current documentation doesn't *suit you*. Well, that has been the case with a lot of products I bought. Most instruments I got never even had any meaningful documentation to speak of (none of my guitars say how they're wired up inside, my continuum doesn't say how to add new sounds nor how to customize its factory features, the manual of my guitar to MIDI convertor is incomprehensible, it's taken years for my audio interface maker to consolidate their documentation into a comprehensive manual, ...).

In time, if a product has enough traction and there's enough demand, this is usually something that is solved by a variety of 3rd party training companies, book writers, teachers, ... that create their own approach that might suit you better. Maybe in time this will come for the Eigenharp, maybe not. In the meantime there's a great community here of people that are totally willing to help out. We (the users) have even started a virtual clubhouse to share experiences or help each other. But honestly, did you really expect to be able to pick up a new instrument without having to spend real time to learn it? The Eigenharp is not a controller that you're supposed to be able to pick up in a matter of minutes using existing skill, there's no substitute for time spent with it. This is what makes is so great in my opinion since you really have this unique, wonderfully expressive electronic instrument that requires its own techniques and habits. However, everyone I speak with that has taken some time says that it's an incredibly smooth learning curve, more so than any other instrument they've learned provided that you don't try to turn it into something it is not. If you do opt for using it totally differently than what's considered the 'happy path' and explained in the reference guide, then you're going to spend a lot of time and effort, but that only seems normal. It's impossible to create step by step tutorials for every possible and imaginable use that someone might have for the Eigenharp. In other words, if you don't want to stumble, don't run before you can walk.

About Windows stability, have you tried the latest drivers and releases? We've been steadily working on it for more than a year and thanks to user feedback it has grown much more stable. We haven't had a Windows-related bug report in quite a while. The last problem you reported was from January this year, that's eight months ago. If you still find it doesn't work well enough, why haven't you spoken up during those eight months when you saw the new releases coming out? You know we react almost instantly and try to figure out what might be going on, with a fix coming as soon as possible. Does it have warts, yes, are there bugs, yes, are you left in the cold when you contact support, no!

Finally, and I do have to get this off of my chest even if it might be considered bad form. Stop complaining about the price. I've personally spent quite some quality time with other instrument builders, including Roger Linn who does know a thing or two about creating real instruments. None of them can believe how it's possible to build and sell the Eigenharp for as little as they sell now. That's right, they consider it a bargain, even the Alpha. It's not a cheap piece of molded plastic reusing whatever knobs and keys that have been mass produced for years. Everything is new and extremely sturdily built, even the musical information has been invented from scratch, it's what sets apart the Eigenharp, but it has a price.

Best regards,

Geert

written by: shamharoth

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:52:03 +0100 BST

Hi Geert,
Unless I've missed various other rants from him/her elsewhere I think one of us has misread CarvingCode's comments. My reading of the comment above wasn't that $750 was unreasonable per-se, but rather that for something with such an entry price it was reasonable to expect it to:

* Work 'out of the box';
* Have enough documentation to enable you to learn the instrument.

I know what you're saying about the support, and my experiences with your support guys have always been very good, but equally you have to accept that a lot of people will not want to spend time tweaking things, submitting debug/config info and going backwards and forwards with support. If people find things unreliable out of the box then a lot of people will dump it there and then. Likewise, I think your comments about other instruments is a bit disingenuous - granted you don't buy a guitar or a cello and expect a user guide, but equally that's because there are any number already available for a reasonable price.

Regarding the announcement for version 2.0, I truly hope that this will not be 'paid for' release, or I suspect that CarvingCode won't be the only one jumping ship. I've moaned about this before, but I still feel that I've done a lot of unpaid testing on Eigenlabs behalf. While it's much, much better than 18 months ago, I still wouldn't be comfortable walking on stage with my Pico and having the confidence that it wouldn't crash part way through a performance. Given that John has repeatedly stressed (wrongly in my opinion) that the Eigenharp is a self-enclosed instrument and not a studio tool or DAW/MIDI controller, this is not a good state to be in. If Workbench, which was originally 'just around the corner' getting on for two years ago, is released and requires further payment that will be the final straw as far as I'm concerned. Workbench was billed from the first demo's as being an integral part of EigenD - if that now changes to a paid add on then I'd agree with CC that this is an insult to the early adoptors that have stuck with you.

Thanks,
Mark.

written by: geert

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:33:04 +0100 BST

Hi Mark,

I fail to see your point, the Pico has been working out of the box almost from the get-go. The first two or three releases had show stopper issues that were quickly resolved, I vividly remember them since I was frustrated about them as a player in 2009. Ever since then all advertised functionalities of the factory setups have been working. Yes, as with any software product some people experienced bugs and issues, they were solved as they were encountered, as with many software products. There were some wrinkles and annoyances in the first releases that could easily be worked around. More importantly though, there were major feature improvements and additions added to the software for free in the last year (like the routing matrix and Stage) to make things easier for users alongside the usual bug fixing and performance improvements.

About stepping on stage, Dino Soldo has been touring with Leonard Cohen during a large part of 2010 with his Eigenharp. I've been touring through France and now with my band in Belgium, Antonio has played it outside in a medieval castle with a dance company, Dragica just did her first gig last night, Dave has been playing it together with a circus, BangStrokeBlow does regular London gigs, and so on ... I'm personally also using other instruments on stage, like the guitar and keyboards and I have to do just as much (if not more) tweaking and testing for those to be crackle and issue free with software instruments. A large part is related to the computer configuration and instruments you choose. You do realize that AU, VSTs, OSs, audio interfaces, drivers, all have a pile of bugs and issues? Getting them to work together is challenging, it's one of the reasons why some people just output MIDI and work with hardware gear.

Take care,

Geert

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:46:42 +0100 BST

Sheesh.... I bought a Pico and:

- it just worked out of the box (5 min max and I was playing)
- I see it as an unbelievable value
- it is feature and sound rich compared to anything at its price-point
- it is incredibly easy to begin playing compared to any other instrument I've picked up (wind controller, guitar, kbds, even a darm penny whistle requires more initial effort)

So why is my experience different?

Well:

- although I did not watch the videos before I tried it out, that was the very next step.
- I did not, initially, try to use it other than as an instrument
- my initial focus was on exploring the instrument for what it is rather than to mold or expand it

I've had the same experience with the Alpha with the exception that the control interface took a bit longer than 5 minutes (a couple of hours for the basics followed by repeated use)

I have no relationship with Eigenlabs other than being a customer. I buy lots of gear. The information and support (and value) here is better than any other provider.

One simple (and relevant) example would be the stark comparison with my experience buying my first WX7. *much* more expensive, crappy manual, good luck with the (rather fiddly) setup, no sounds at all and no access to any kind of help or community.

Did it then replace my WX5 and integrate into a larger system - no, but it does now. Was I able to do all sorts of tweaks and customization - no but I can now (thanks to the seminars and other added information - and some tinkering)

So, here is at least one happy camper; if only to add a bit of balance.

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:55:28 +0100 BST

Hi Mark

We are going to be charging for 2.0, but if you don't want to pay for it you really don't need to as 1.4 will remain free. There's also the open source release, which is totally free, as in free for ever, which will continue to track 2.0, just later and with slightly less in the way of new features.

1.4 is pretty reliable by any software standard - we have only a tiny number of outstanding bugs on it at the moment (all of which are related, inevitably, to 3rd party AU and VSt products breaking things) which will get fixed before it goes into Stable. We haven't made a Stable release with a known 'showstopper' bug (one that can mess up a live performance) for well over a year in fact, so I'm not really sure why you're uncomfortable using it live, lots of people are doing so, regularly. If you are having specific reliability problems, please let us know by using the bug reporter as soon as possible - we can't fix them if we don't know about them.

Regarding Workbench, you are quite correct I spoke about this not long after launch. There are two things about this - firstly I do not believe that I have ever said that it would be free, and secondly I would like to give you a little context regarding the developments of our UI over the intervening time. Firstly, the 'Workbench' that I was talking about in 2009 is not the 'Workbench' we are releasing now, it was a totally different animal. We had a working prototype of that in late 2009 and it combined a graphical view of the system with the Belcanto command line to enable configuration. It was written In Python/WX (for the technically minded). It was not pretty, but it was functional. The first six months after the Pico was shipped proved very interesting for us as we got a lot of feedback. One of the major themes was that people wanted a more traditional GUI and in hand with that there was a giant chorus of howling about the use of a command language - a small minority love it, a wide majority hated it. This caused a considerable amount of thinking and discussion here, and the decision was taken to split what was originally 'Workbench' into two different tools. These became what are now Stage and the new Workbench. Stage was envisioned as a powerful, configurable, network control center for EigenD, something that enabled the control and manipulation of the system in real time in live environments. I think we achieved this and in 1.3 Stage is now part of a formal release, one that no-one has been asked to pay for.

In addition, a great many of the configuration and control parameters for working with MIDI and DAW's that people asked for have now been integrated in our main GUI in the MIDI matrix, a very flexible tool for this. This also takes on part of what was possible with the original Workbench, but in a very discoverable and easy to use manner. This is also present in both the 1.4 release (which is freely available) and the open source release, which is as freely available as it is humanly possible to make it.

The remaining parts of Workbench, the building of setups from scratch in a graphical manner, has proved very difficult to implement. It's a genuinely tough problem to solve well, and has required both a lot of work on a GUI and some serious and technically challenging changes to the underlying system to support it. It has also been very expensive to develop and has taken five times longer than I thought it would. It is not something I am prepared to give away at the moment - in the past year we have put literally several millions pounds worth of software in the public domain (software that I personally paid for incidentally), for free, and I don't think it reasonable of people to ask us to continue to give our work away forever just because we have done so lot already. Its like punishing someone for being nice, why do that?

People have to have incomes, including the Eigenlabs development team, and much as I admire Richard Stallman there is only so much beard that one can eat before even McDonald's starts to look good. If you really want to never pay for software I encourage you to contribute to the open source release and make it happen.

On a related note, I would just like to make everyone aware that however much you might imagine it so, the profit margin on Eigenharp sales does not actually pay for EigenD development. It doesn't actually come close - the development of EigenD is effectively funded personally by me and several other investors. I do think that it is now appropriate, after two years of free releases, significant new functionality (Stage, MIDI routing etc) that the community be asked to contribute towards this. It is even possible, at some distant point, that the software may begin to break even, at which point it will have a real long term future independent of benefactors. I would very much like to see this happen, as I am sure other members of the Eigenharp community would. It won't though unless people are prepared to contribute either in coding or cash.

John

written by: shamharoth

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:40:03 +0100 BST

john said:
"1.4 is pretty reliable by any software standard"

But not stable yet.

john said:
"We haven't made a Stable release with a known 'showstopper' bug (one that can mess up a live performance) for well over a year in fact"

But, correct me if I'm wrong, as I've stopped using my Pico so haven't kept fully up-to-date, but all of the changes to make MIDI interfacing truly usable (i.e. the routing matrix, which I agree is excellent by the way) were only introduced in a stable release 8 days ago?

john said:
(This morning) "Regarding Workbench, you are quite correct I spoke about this not long after launch. There are two things about this - firstly I do not believe that I have ever said that it would be free"

john said:
(On 8th December 2009 in 'Workbench and native modeled instruments' thread, in direct response to the question "WIll the upcoming workbench be free to all owners of an Eigenharp?") "We are not planning to charge for the Workbench, and in fact you will find elements of it's functionality creeping into the system slowly over the next couple of months"

john said:
"In addition, a great many of the configuration and control parameters for working with MIDI and DAW's that people asked for have now been integrated in our main GUI in the MIDI matrix, a very flexible tool for this. This also takes on part of what was possible with the original Workbench, but in a very discoverable and easy to use manner. This is also present in both the 1.4 release (which is freely available)"

... and currently 'unstable'...

john said:
...and the open source release, which is as freely available as it is humanly possible to make it.

... but unsupported and unusable for the vast majority of users.

john said:
"The remaining parts of Workbench, the building of setups from scratch in a graphical manner, has proved very difficult to implement. It's a genuinely tough problem to solve well, and has required both a lot of work on a GUI and some serious and technically challenging changes to the underlying system to support it. It has also been very expensive to develop and has taken five times longer than I thought it would. It is not something I am prepared to give away at the moment - in the past year we have put literally several millions pounds worth of software in the public domain (software that I personally paid for incidentally), for free, and I don't think it reasonable of people to ask us to continue to give our work away forever just because we have done so lot already. Its like punishing someone for being nice, why do that?"

Because you told the people who purchased 2 years ago that you would and people took that on trust? Conversely it's not reasonable of a company to ask its customers to pay for something that they were told would be free.

john said:
"If you really want to never pay for software I encourage you to contribute to the open source release and make it happen."

Firstly, I spend enough time cutting code at work and don't want to spend my time doing the same at home. Secondly, I've never said that I never want to pay for software (all of my software on all of my home and work computers is paid for), so I'm not a foaming-mouthed open sourcer by any means. I just object to paying for something that I was told that I paid for when I bought the instrument. I'm not asking for anything that wasn't promised early on.

written by: dhjdhj

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:11:34 +0100 BST

I haven't bothered at all with the Eigenharp in recent months and in fact I am vaguely sorry I ever bought it, even though I think it has incredible potential.

Frankly, from my perspective the software has been terrible as is the documentation. It may very well be true that there is now "lots of documentation", but you have to be an library archival specialist to wade through the stuff just to find out what you need to find out! It is incredibly difficult to "discover" both what can be done and how to do it.

(a) Plenty of documentation does not substitute for good documentation and (b) Good documentation is not a substitute for poor software.

When was the last time anyone read the documentation for their softsynths, MS Word, DAW, etc.....at most, one occasionally looks something up, but for the most part, it should be quite obvious how things are supposed to work.

It's certainly distressting to see that one will have to pay for upgraded software when the initial software was, candidly, not very good. Specially after putting out about $7,000 to buy the instrument and more to integrate the base unit into my live performance rig. While I sympathize completely with John's investment concern (been there!), in some ways, that just doesn't matter. It's almost like the recent Netfix "apology".

It's going to be very hard to grow the customer base if the existing customers are unhappy. And I'm unhappy!

I don't know why it is so hard to develop good software for the Eigenharp --- I've thought of numerous kinds of front-end environments that would make it a pleasure to work with the Eigenharp but it seems that Eigenlabs is locked into a design approach that is, frankly, cute as an idea (i.e, Belcanto) but useless for most practical purposes (i.e. people who just want to play).

At this point, what I'd love to see is a simple API/SDK that takes the raw datastream coming through USB from the Eigenharp and makes that data available directly to applications. On top of that, for experimentalists, I'd like to see a couple of Max externals that essentially do for the Eigenharp what the [midiin] object family does for MIDI.

There could be a MIDI mode and an OSC mode where the latter is important and that's it. No built-in soft synths, arpegiators, drums, sequencers, etc.....there are plenty of very mature software apps and plugins to do that stuff.

Focus on the Eigenharp as a fabulous PHYSICAL expressive controller interface. Don't ruin it by locking us into a software model that is not appropriate for many people.

Please!

If that's not going to happen, I offer a gorgeous Eigenharp Alpha for sale at a (sadly) significantly discounted price.

Sigh

Please log in to join the discussions