Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: windows release

Most Recent

written by: shamharoth

I have no problems at all using Home Premium. In fact, unless you're attaching to a corporate network I don't think there's any real benefit in the extra expense for Pro.

written by: eugenb

Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:16:48 +0000 GMT

i just wanted to ask if there is gonna be an unstable/test release of the windows software. i am currently using my friend's mac, but i am hoping that the windows client will arive soon. thanks a bunch for your work.
greets from germany!

written by: stuwyatt

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 01:00:34 +0000 GMT

I've just noticed that the website now states that the Windows version of EigenD is expected at the beginning of April, rather than Jan/Feb as was recently stated. I'm glad that I decided to sell a kidney to purchase a mini mac, and in retrospect, I am also glad that I have the reliability of OSX behind EigenD rather than Windows.

I don't know what your funds are like, but it is worth keeping an eye out for refurbished macs on the Apple website. I saved quite a bit of cash on my mini mac, and I paid less than some ebay auctions at the time for the same unit - yet it still comes with a 12 month guarantee.

written by: aaronw

Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:58:22 +0000 GMT

HI all,

We are currently internally testing a Alpha Test version of the EigenD software for Windows. We aim to release a Beta Test version towards the end of February for Eigenharp players to try, with the full release following in March/April 2010.

If you would like to be a Beta Tester for the Windows software please email support@eigenlabs.com

Cheers

Aaron
Customer Support

written by: Tones2

Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:38:25 +0000 GMT

What versions of Windows will be supported - i.e. XP, Vista, W7 or all?

Tony

written by: aaronw

Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:51:45 +0000 GMT

Hi Tony,

We will be supporting XP and above.

Regards

Aaron
Customer Support

written by: john

Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:22:37 +0000 GMT

Actually (and Aaron is going to be annoyed with me now) we're just discussing what Windows we need to support. Consensus here (in the dev team) seems to be that Vista is so awful that very few people who have it will not upgrade, XP is very long in the tooth and Windows 7 actually seems sort of OK. We were considering just supporting Windows 7 after this discussion - it would really help us start with a cleaner code base and make testing a lot simpler to start with.

Does anyone here have an opinion on this? What is everyone running?

John

written by: geert

Mon, 8 Feb 2010 22:42:14 +0000 GMT

Hi John,

I used to be a windows user and can't really comment on the current state of affairs. However, people using the Eigenharp are probably not old-fashion and stuck in ancient OS releases. I wouldn't waste resources and time on XP and Vista, but indeed go straight for Windows 7 support. This will allow you to get something out quicker also. If you do get a lot of requests for the other versions from people that absolutely don't want to upgrade, you can still do the additional effort later on.

Just my 2c.

Take care,

Geert

Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:05:37 +0000 GMT

I agree with just focussing on Windows 7. XP is a 10+ year old operating system, and is as problematic and inefficient as you can get. It would be like me expecting EigenD to run happily on OSX 10 or 10.1.

Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:17:45 +0000 GMT

Another observation here, what kind of computer would people that are still running Windows XP or Vista have? Are these hardware configurations even powerful enough to run EigenD with the modeled instruments and a couple of VSTs comfortably? I doubt it.

written by: john

Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:22:19 +0000 GMT

That's an interesting issue, although further discussions here have revealed that we probably do have to support XP. We have a big effort in education planned this year and virtually all schools are still, and will probably remain for a while, XP. They are very conservative about change, understandably, and have lots of applications running on each machine, many of which do not yet run on Windows 7. The resource usage we'll probably deal with via a special education setup which is lighter on CPU and memory.

Thanks for the feedback - it does seem that we needn't worry too much about Vista, although as you've pointed out, it's XP that is the hassle to support.

John

Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:19:16 +0000 GMT

gbevin said:
"Another observation here, what kind of computer would people that are still running Windows XP or Vista have? Are these hardware configurations even powerful enough to run EigenD with the modeled instruments and a couple of VSTs comfortably? I doubt it.'

Huh? When I bought my quad core 3.4 GHz PC it had XP on it. I have upgraded to Vista 64 since then, but most of the musicians I know with powerful machines CHOSE XP over Vista when purchasing them in the last couple of years. Musicians are a conservative bunch when it comes to O/S changes - they for the most part do not want the hassle of installing a new O/S and have to get all new drivers, software copy protection authorizations, etc. I know that I don't.

So I believe the MAJORITY of musicians on a PC will NOT be running Windows 7 but yet will have machines more powerful than most Mac users (given how overpriced and underpowered most Mac's are). In fact, I can almost guarantee that. :)

And hopefully you guys are supporting Vista 64 bit - I think that's the most common Windows O/S for musicians right now!

Tony

written by: barnone

Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:27:54 +0000 GMT

From what I've seen on the monome forum, very few PC users are on Windows 7. In fact out of all the questions we get regarding 7up, only 2 users I can remember being on Windows 7. They were having problems with monomeserial.

You could probably get away with Vista forward but pretty difficult to say Windows 7 only right now.

The other option is to officially support one while it unofficially will run on Vista.

written by: heidavey

Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:36:21 +0000 GMT

If you guys don't release software on Vista, then I have one very expensive back scratcher.

written by: 0beron

Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:42:32 +0000 GMT

I bought a mac to run my Eigenharp, and it's a decision I don't regret in the slightest. I remember the pain I had to go through to get low latency recording working on my vista machine with a crappy creative soundcard, with 3rd party ASIO drivers and a lot of trial and error. Under Mac OS 10.6 and an outboard audio interface, it plugged in and worked first time like a charm. While I would be interested in a potential windows release in order to get access to VSTs that are windows specific, I wouldn't dream of running EigenD on vista - it's just not worth the hassle.

written by: kris

Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:14:28 +0000 GMT

Personally, I'd only look for Windows 7 support as I don't have the patience to work with any other version. Then again, my only Windows machine is a netbook... It would be nice to be able to use it for noodling when the big Mac is in use for other things.

Though with the educational thing, it looks like you're talking yourselves into supporting a range of configurations and code-bases! Best of luck!

Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:57:00 +0000 GMT

0beron said:
"I bought a mac to run my Eigenharp, and it's a decision I don't regret in the slightest. I remember the pain I had to go through to get low latency recording working on my vista machine with a crappy creative soundcard, with 3rd party ASIO drivers and a lot of trial and error. Under Mac OS 10.6 and an outboard audio interface, it plugged in and worked first time like a charm. While I would be interested in a potential windows release in order to get access to VSTs that are windows specific, I wouldn't dream of running EigenD on vista - it's just not worth the hassle.'

With all due respect, this is nonsense. It's certainly not more difficult to get a low latency drivers under any version of Windows than it is a Mac. Quite the opposite, in fact, as their are many more soundcard options available for Windows than Macs, and it's MUCH easier to set the latency on Windows. The problem is that you had a crappy (and probasbly really old) creative soundcard, but even the current under $100 creative soundcards come with excellent ASIO drivers that can give you close to zero lantency. It takes like 10 seconds to choose that in the driver software.

I think you've been watching too many ridiculous Apple (vs. PC) commercials! :)

Tony

written by: 0beron

Wed, 17 Feb 2010 17:51:25 +0000 GMT

OK, maybe I came across a bit more forcefully than I meant to..! I was just relating my experience with a particularly poor choice of card, and my own lack of experience.

I've been a windows man for a long time and like it just fine, and another part of the Mac purchasing decision was that it would be worth having a foot in both camps rather than believing the commercials.

I just get the impression though that Mac OS is designed a little more with audio and video content creation in mind, whilst windows (and particularly Vista which changed the audio and graphics driver architecture drastically from XP) is more focussed on audio playback for movies and games.

Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:00:36 +0000 GMT

0beron said:
"I just get the impression though that Mac OS is designed a little more with audio and video content creation in mind, whilst windows (and particularly Vista which changed the audio and graphics driver architecture drastically from XP) is more focussed on audio playback for movies and games."

Again, with all due respect, totally untrue. It's actually again is probably the opposite, or at least neutral. Most big recording studios use Pro Tools software running on Windows, and most soundcard manufacturers cater to developing Windows drivers of all varieties because of that. Windows also has about 90% of the home DAW market. Macs are MUCH more straight multimedia machines, with low latency drivers not as important or as prevalent.

Tony

Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:27:29 +0000 GMT

Admittedly, I've been out of the loop for 2-3 years, but I've never seen a Windows machine running pro-tools in a professional studio. Maybe this will change with Windows7 though.

\/\/\/ [Edit] Ah, thanks for that...

Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:06:58 +0000 GMT

@stu, it's a bug in the forum, he's using quote and the style it sets up puts the following text in bold.

Please log in to join the discussions