Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Inline FX GUI

Most Recent

written by: Tenebrous

Perhaps using the unused 'Scroll key 1' as another special 'mode' key to toggle AU GUIs on or off would work? i.e. hold that and hit the button that usually browses for AU, and it'll toggle the GUI instead? (I've suggested this in another thread)

written by: geert

Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:22:20 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I probably am missing something but I can't find how to show the GUI of an inline AU effect after it has been closed or after you restarted EigenD with a setup that has inline FXs? Does someone know how to do this or is this an oversight in the software?

Thanks,

Geert

written by: Lowdene

Sun, 6 Dec 2009 08:41:25 +0000 GMT

Geert

I think if you close it, you have to reselect it again, along with any presets. If you save it in a user profile, then the effect GUI appears (without any use of the browser) at the last saved state.

I get some inconsistent behaviour with AU instruments and effects. I've been using Guitar Rig as an in-line effect. For some reason if I use GR, I can never quit Eigen D, I always have to force quit. Also, you can set up a rack, then open the parameter list, and it will reflect the rack, but you can't make any change to the rack and have it reflected in the parameter list. You have to close and re-open again. Another example, I've been using the Les Paul in EastWest's Ministry of Rock (Play sampler). It sounds great but there is no pop out parameter list available on the RHS.

Nick

Sun, 6 Dec 2009 08:54:59 +0000 GMT

Hi Lowdene,

Yeah, reselecting after closing is what I experienced also, which is quite cumbersome since you might not have saved the preset. They should add a function somewhere to show the GUI of an inline FX again. However, since they seem to be running out of them on the Pico I think it would be acceptable to have have the inline FX bypass buttons double as a GUI hide/show button.

I've been using Guitar Rig like this also. Which version do you have? Version 4 doesn't have the problem you describe.

I've heard very good things about EastWest's Ministry of Rock, but it's quite expensive. Another thing that is a pity is that you probably can't pitch bend individual notes. That's why I've been using direct guitar sound fonts with Guitar Rig as inline FX. This comes very close to the actual playability of a guitar imho.

Take care,

Geert

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:54:35 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert

Yes, agree on your first point, that would be useful.

If Version 4 is the latest one, it's the one I've got, so it's interesting to hear that you don't have that problem. I'll play around with it some more!

Ministry of Rock is a quick way to get a really good sound but it's fully effected so you can't do a hell of a lot with it: most additional guitar effects diminish the sound. And you're right, if you pitch bend / vibrato one note it will effect any others held at the same time, but that's OK for single-note solo runs. I like the way you can vibrato at just the front edge of the Pico key so you only get an increase in pitch. I can't get a decent vibrato though without holding the Pico firm into my lap (if sitting down!) and not using the thumb hooks at the back to hold it.

So the soundfont sampler in slots 1/2/3 allows individual note pitch bend / vibrato? I hadn't realised that. It would seem to be a better way to go with some dry-ish guitar samples feeding through to a Guitar Rig in-line FX - I'll try that, thanks. Of course, I could play the guitar instead! However, I think the attraction is in switching between different sounds on the Pico in the same song even if, for example, you could play at least one of them (in my case guitar), on the 'native' instrument.

Regards, Nick

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:00:51 +0000 GMT

There have been some updates to Guitar Rig 4, the latest version is 4.0.7, maybe that's it.

I've been using this sound font and it's working out quite well with GR4, plus it's cheap:
http://www.jensensamples.com/eg5.php

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:21:07 +0000 GMT

Geert
Brilliant thanks. I'll look to update GR and take a look a the soundfont.
Regards
Nick

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:24:58 +0000 GMT

Hi Nick,

I just noticed that there's a beta of GR 4.0.8 on Native Instrument's website for registered users. People on the forum seem to say that it fixes a lot of issues. Maybe you might want to look into that also.

Take care,

Geert

written by: Tenebrous

Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:40:12 +0000 GMT

Perhaps using the unused 'Scroll key 1' as another special 'mode' key to toggle AU GUIs on or off would work? i.e. hold that and hit the button that usually browses for AU, and it'll toggle the GUI instead? (I've suggested this in another thread)

Please log in to join the discussions