Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: factory TAU setup: Keys not working

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

(re 2.1.2)
If the metronome works, and the eigenharp menus seem to work.
then the base install has worked.
(and I have done this on a 'clean' mac before)

you will note, the resources are NOT required, they are only required for the the built-in instruments.

the only feedback I've had to far, has been if you reinstall the resources it works.

sorry, I'm just a community member not part of eigenlabs, so my time for this 'support' is limited, and unfortunately, I don't have any access to the build of the resources/runtime, or even the build scripts to see whats going on... as these have not been open sources (despite my repeated requests!)

written by: angsan

Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:06:38 +0000 GMT

Hello,

I've got my brand new TAU and started with set up.
I first tried with Windows, then switched to MAC.

Here is the point:

Hardware installation is fine (green light on base station) and EigenD is correctly installed under MAC OS X 10.9.2.

I loaded the factory TAU's setup provided by EigenD
The metronome plays, but all other keys don't work. Even trying to change scale, or something else, doesn't work; the leds are correctly displayed, but my selection is not kept.

Afterwards, I've loaded to my TAU an other configuration (one provided by default with EigenD: Synth...) there, I can play with my TAU Synthesizer.

Switching back to factory TAU setup put me in the same situation as described above.

If someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Angelo

System
MAC OS X 10.9.2
EigenD 2.74 stable
Eigenharp TAU 2014

Thu, 13 Feb 2014 17:44:55 +0000 GMT

this sounds very strange...
so your saying the:
- example/tau/modular synth setup is working fine.
- tau factory setup, the main keys are not working

from the sounds of it, you are suggesting the round buttons of the tau are working, but not the main keyboard
- correct?
in the factory setup, are you able to move around 'the menus' e.g. to enter the recording sub menu, enter the scale menu (i know you said you it wouldn't take the selection, but do the lights reflects its entered the scale menu?)

... this would be interesting, since its key to know if its the main keyboard reacting or just no sound.
(if its the later, I would look at your audio settings, especially if you have attached an external audio interface)

its odd, as if the keys are working in one setup I cannot see why they wouldnt in another, unless the setup was corrupt.
... and I think you said, you had reinstalled.. so this seems unlikely.
(you could try deleting any tmpsetups in ~/Library/Eigenlabs/2.0.74-stable/Setups/ , but again I doubt this is the issue)

as an aside are you really using 10.9.2, as this is a dev beta.. though i doubt it would cause issues.
... and there are quite a few of using running 10.9 so this is not generally an issue.

hmm, sorry can't be more specific its a strange issue.

Fri, 14 Feb 2014 07:24:47 +0000 GMT

Hi TheTechnobear,

thanks for your comment!

Here is my answers to your questionings!

from the sounds of it, you are suggesting the round buttons of the tau are working, but not the main keyboard
- correct?
YES!

in the factory setup, are you able to move around 'the menus' e.g. to enter the recording sub menu, enter the scale menu (i know you said you it wouldn't take the selection, but do the lights reflects its entered the scale menu?)
Actually, I can navigate through different keyboard menus

... this would be interesting, since its key to know if its the main keyboard reacting or just no sound.
The keyboard seems to react correctly, but no sound is heard (at least with the factory TAU setup)

(if its the later, I would look at your audio settings, especially if you have attached an external audio interface)
I have not such audio interface

(you could try deleting any tmpsetups in ~/Library/Eigenlabs/2.0.74-stable/Setups/ , but again I doubt this is the issue)
I share your doubts, I've already remove the 2..74 and installed back the one provided with the USB stick 2.0.69 (I don not remind correctly the minor version, but it's the one prior the 74)

as an aside are you really using 10.9.2, as this is a dev beta.. though i doubt it would cause issues.
... and there are quite a few of using running 10.9 so this is not generally an issue.

Sorry, I made a mistake. I'm running MAC OS X 10.9

hmm, sorry can't be more specific its a strange issue.
Anyway, thanks for your intervention

Angelo,
System information:
CPU: GenuineIntel, Cores: 4, Speed: 3100 MHz
Memory: 16384 MB
Version: 2.0.74-stable

Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:53:45 +0000 GMT

Have you checked in the audio settings, that it says Core Audio/Built In... 44khz ... or something similar.
it shouldn't be a problem with the built in audio, but these settings are saved per setup, and it appears that its just a sound issue...

also have you tried different samplers/AU? do they all have issues in the that setup?

also, try midi with an external program (either a DAW or something else)... again this could prove that EigenD is running correctly, and its just the audio stage thats incorrect.

Also, I assume we are talking about sound output from the speakers, and not thru the headphones?
(there are a number of small steps you have to do to get output from the headphone socket... which have caught people out a number of time!)

Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:12:05 +0000 GMT

Hi TheTechnobear,

I've posted a video with my problem EIgenharp Tau sound issue 1
The video shows my audio issue and what i've explained in myposts.

The second video shows why I could not set up my Tau for headphones use. It semmes that my Tau does not "hold" my choice Tau not able to switch mode (I've read the tutorial on wiki on how to configure headphone output)

Angelo

Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:37:10 +0000 GMT

You did install the resources package? (this is important)
(this would have weird side effects, its has all the sound fonts and also Python which is need to run)

Have you tried other USB ports and cables?

as i said, its odd...

the metronome proves there is sound...

the keyboard video is odd, usually when you make a selection, it will immediately un-light the current selection... to me it looks like its not even making the selection... (not that its not keeping it)
(the orange lights only indicate the basestation has received the key press - not that eigenD has done anything with it)
.. im assuming this happens with all menu selections?

the keyboard is lit, and from this and other posts (e.g. synth working) it appears the keyboard is fine, so looks like its talking properly...

the only thing I can think of is to take a look at the log files, to see if we can see something not right...

if you are able to, then try the following:
a) close EigenD
b) Launch Terminal
c) paste the following:
/Applications/EigenD.app/Contents/MacOS/EigenD --stdout --debug 2>&1 > ~/Desktop/debug.out
this will start EigenD and start creating a log file on your desktop,
d) load the setup, and try to play a few notes... and change menus
e) quit EigenD,
f) upload the debug.out file to somewhere we can see it
or email me it to ... mharris AT technobear.com

i can then take a look and see if there is something in the log file that look incorrect...

have you emailed support? perhaps they can shed some light on it...
customerservices@eigenlabs.com

Mark

written by: geert

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:29:27 +0000 GMT

Hi Angelo,

Don't go to a previous version than 2.0.74, there will be subtle bugs and I think there were some Tau ones that might explain what your second video shows.

About the main keys, are you certain that the resources package is installed like Mark suggests you? Have you tried selecting another instruments as explained in the video tutorials or quick start guide? Maybe try an audiounit plugin in one of the AU instrument slots? Finally, if you really want to make sure that your keys are fine, please install the free app MIDI Monitor and launch it after EigenD is finished loading (http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/). Select one of the MIDI output instruments. When you press the main keys, you should see MIDI data appear in MIDI Monitor.

Also make sure the bottom-most precussion key (the one by itself) is not lit. This blocks the use of the main keyboard keys for safety.

Alternatively you might also try to use one of the experimental or example setups.

Take care,

Geert

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:32:53 +0000 GMT

Hmmm ...another thing I'm wondering about after seeing your video. Do you have a Mac or a Hackintosh? Your machine is making a lot of noise for it to be Apple hardware. The factory setup requires a lot of resources. Maybe, just maybe, if it's a Hackintosh, something might not be working correctly there, preventing certain elements to load correctly.

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:41:29 +0000 GMT

Thanks Mark and Geert. I will provide you the log + testing.

Cheers,
Angelo

@Geert: BTW, your speech at Devoxx 2013 on Eigenharp was great.
That's why I bought one ;-)

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:54:12 +0000 GMT

You can also try selecting the built-in synth to check the keys. I think this should work even if there are problems with the resources. Go to the quick reference page 8, look at the Keygroup Mode Key Layout and select key number 7 (Synth). This is the built-in EigenD modular synth that doesn't need anything else besides EigenD :-)

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:55:09 +0000 GMT

Thanks Angelo, glad you liked it! :-)

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:07:29 +0000 GMT

I already did it (use of Modular Synth setup) and then it works.

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:12:17 +0000 GMT

Angelo, if that works, then your Tau is fine on the hardware side ... so that's reassuring :-)

Maybe try reinstalling the resources and the rest from scratch, that seems like the most plausible culprit.

written by: john

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:05:34 +0000 GMT

Hi Angelo

I'd like to echo Geert's comment, if your modular synth is working OK then that means that the main EigenD system and the hardware instrument are working fine. It sounds as if you don't have the resources properly installed for some reason, so I'd have a go reinstalling them next.

Jim is having a look at Win 8.1 by the way, I'll try and keep you posted as to progress with that but it may be a little while as we presently don't have a development environment set up for that release.

John

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:26:01 +0000 GMT

Hi John,

I agree with you. But, why I have the same issue both with my Mac and Windows? Worst is with Windows where no sound is heard at all (neither the metronom nor the synth)?
Is it possible that is a Base station's related issue ?

Angelo

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:00:32 +0000 GMT

Angelo,

did you check the resources were installed?
which mac system is it? ... model & year? (mac book pro, iMac, etc)
did you produce log files?

as the synth works, its very unlikely to be hardware... as the only difference between the module synth setup and the factory setup is the agents loaded into EigenD that produce the sound. the Tau and Basestation are not concerned with this at all, they just send data back and forth regarding keys/strips/breath - this is identical for modular setup and the factory setup.
so all points to it being an incorrect install.
Id just concentrate on getting the mac to work first, given that its a closed system with Apple hardware and software (assuming its not a Hackintosh) , its usually easier than Windows. Once you have it working on the Mac, then have a look at the windows system.

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:40:05 +0000 GMT

Hi Mark,

I'm not at home so I can't produce, right now, the log. I will do this evening. (I stay focused on MAC)
In the meantime,

- Yes, I've installed the MAC ressources (as defined in installation guide) It took around 30 min.

- I've also removed EigenD 2.0.74 and installed EigenD 2.0.69 (the one provided with my USB stick). But it did not resolved anything. So, I've installed back the latest version of EigenD (2.074)

- I also checked the Audio setting. All clear!

System information:
I-MAC late 2011.
CPU: GenuineIntel, Cores: 4, Speed: 3100 MHz
Memory: 16384 MB

I will also try to remove all and install again.

Angelo

written by: cellular_model

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:51:25 +0000 GMT

Angelo,

I've two suggestion for you. Contrary to Mark's saying I wouldn't bail on
Windows just yet. Since the behavior is different between those systems I feel it's worth exploring what causes it, it may shed some light on the main issue.

Make a log on both systems doing the same sequence and then compare them with a diff like Beyond Compare.

The other thing that you can explore is usb. You can use the "system information" tool to check if you see the base-station among the devices, maybe you'll notice something odd.

written by: cellular_model

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:56:23 +0000 GMT

Another thing,

I will quote my post on G+ "...In the first video, when he pressed the playing keys they got lit red and not orange as it is on my alpha..."

Can you confirm that?

Can somebody more savvy tell whether it's wrong or not?

Oleg.

written by: john

Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:24:50 +0000 GMT

Hi Angelo

It's hard for me to be sure about what is going on as both the operating systems you are running are new and as yet unsupported by us. However, I can say that if you are making sound OK with the modular synth that shows that all of your hardware as well as the main software system is working fine, on MacOS particularly it really sounds as if there is a problem with your media install.

As to there being similarities with the Windows install, I have no idea, but if you do the same test (try the modular synth) and it works the same on Windows that does point to the same issue, something connected with the media install. Beyond that it is not possible for us to find out what is going on until we have an 8.1 development system up and running, which will be a while. The fact that you have no sound at all on Windows 8.1 does point to a different problem and one that is quite possibly related to the OS version, so quite possibly nothing you can do anything about.

Just to reiterate, if you are making noise with the modular synth and the instrument is playable with it then it is extremely unlikely that you have any kind of hardware problem. The basestation is not involved in audio, that is the function of your hardware in the computer or externally, and if there's noise coming out and it sounds OK then this is likely working just fine. We do a full test of all the hardware here just before we ship it so it's pretty rare that we have any issues unless the courier has damaged the shipment.

Just as an aside, have you had a go installing a VST or AU and playing that?

John

Please log in to join the discussions