Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Eigenbrowser & setups not working + extra questions

Most Recent

written by: geert

The newly release EigenD 2.0.74 has new MIDI only setups for each instrument in the experimental section of the load window. These essentially behave exactly the same as the setups from EigenD 1.4, but now built using Workbench.

written by: jeanlouis.papier

Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:33:43 +0000 GMT

Hi,

So maybe part of my frustration with the Eigenharp comes from software bug?

Here's what happens :

-I can't load the Pico midi setup, except with the 1.4.12 version of EigenD. (but other setups work). Doesn't light on, no error message.
-Can't load the keyman Pico setup (tried also loading as stage, nothing).
-The "browse MIDI port" button in stage never works (I have to go in browser).
-I can't browse menus in the eigenbrowser, keep stuck on the loops page, even if I navigate through the keys of the Pico (which seems to work, as colors change), and after pressing keys a few time in no particular manner, the eigenbrowser seems to update, but it isn't exactly useful anymore.

And other things :
-I would like to edit the Pico MIDI setup, to have full keys instead of the 2 last as controllers. How do I do that? Belcanto? Edit the setup? How?
-I would like to have more scales with the MIDI setup, how do I do that?

Thanks, I hope I can get to love this instrument for its true value...

Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:44:18 +0000 GMT

Hi Jean Louis,

The Pico MIDI-only setup is only available for 1.4 through the wiki, there's no alternative 2.0 version yet, but I've been thinking of creating one when I find a moment. In the meantime, the Pico Factory 2 setup should really get you started, it loads quickly and has 4 MIDI outputs. (maybe that was the one you're referring to?)

I don't know which Keyman setup you're referring to. If you mean Stage tabs, these have to be imported through Stage and only apply to the setup they were created for since the widgets need to be able to communicate with the agents that are present in the setup.

If you can't browse the menus in the Eigenbrowser in EigenD 2.0.72, please load the factory setup that you're trying to do this with and send a bug report from within the EigenD application (File -> Report Bug). This will give us additional information that we can look at if it's indeed a bug.

The best way to edit a setup is using Workbench with EigenD 2. We don't support creating or modifying setups through Belcanto anymore since it's just too error-prone. While it can be done, it's often more trouble than it's worth and Belcanto wasn't designed for that task at all.

You can create additional talker keys to add more scales that are instantly accessible, but it's going to be hard to add that to the available keys on the Pico.

Finally, just an observation on my behalf, you're really trying to jump immediately to the most configurable parts of the system and they can be really advanced. Many people have thought about adding that last row of keys as playing keys, but just as us have then realised that they're not really that comfortable to be configured like that. It prevents you from having your hands rest naturally on all the playing keys and introduces a non logical jump in the layout. I'm sure that somehow with some experimentation, there's one or several playing techniques and layouts that work well using all 18 keys for notes, but it's really a lot of work to experiment with that. Since you're just starting out, it might be really discouraging since you haven't had a chance to get a good feel about the instrument yet. It would be like going for alternative tunings on different string gauges on a guitar without having played it in the traditional fashion before. Definitely interesting, but also totally free flying and possibly off-putting.

Best regards,

Geert

Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:50:24 +0000 GMT

Workbench comes with EigenD Pro, which is indeed a paid upgrade from EigenD standard. If you go to http://www.eigenlabs.com/store/category/subscriptions/ while logged in with the account of a registered instrument, you'll see a specially calculated price for you that takes the upgrade from standard to pro into account.

Geert

Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:51:46 +0000 GMT

Just to be sure : I would have to pay for Workbench, right?

written by: keyman

Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:53:37 +0000 GMT

info on workbench...
http://www.eigenlabs.com/store/category/subscriptions/

Fri, 30 Nov 2012 00:16:23 +0000 GMT

OK, the pricing wasn't very clear for me, because it also gives a price for EigenD, which I can already access without paying extra...
Anyway, £139 to unlock the full potential of the Eigenharp, after having already paid £469 for the instrument, that's a bit harsh...

Fri, 30 Nov 2012 00:26:01 +0000 GMT

When did you purchase your Pico? New or second hand?

written by: carvingCode

Fri, 30 Nov 2012 02:39:14 +0000 GMT

Jeanlouis - Geert was trying to help you when he mentioned that you were jumping ahead too quickly. From your posts, it does sound like you haven't yet figured out how to play or control the Factory setup.

This should be your immediate focus. On the Pico, due to its size, a lot of things have been kinda jammed into place. You need to figure out how to play the piano, bass, adding AU/VSTs to the mix, etc. You need to learn about the Drummer and how to record loops. You should not be focusing on changing the layout of the keyboard yet when you haven't figured out the basics of the Factory setup.

The Factory setup really has most of the capabilities of EigenD for the Pico in it. Spend a couple months there.

Once you've got a decent grasp of Factory, then decide whether you want to add Workbench. If you do add Workbench, expect to spend another couple months with it.

From experience, I can tell you that there is no shortcut and no benefit to impatience with he harp and EigenD. With time and proper study, there's an amazing instrument with amazing potential awaiting for the creative musician.

Drop back by with questions. There's people here that may be happy to help you.

Randy

Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:45:36 +0000 GMT

I've been using my Pico for a year (bougt new), essentially with the MIDI custom setup, because that's the only one which works for me.

Look, I'm not trying to jump any steps, because there are no steps to jump for me. I have no interest in using the piano (I didn't buy an innovative instrument to play piano...), Vsts in EigenD or drumloops. I just want to use it as a MIDI controller, that's all, and that's what I'm doing. I don't use the Eigenharp as a performance instrument for the moment. For me it is just a super-expressive controller.

However my configuration seems to make some problems, as I can't use the factory setup in MIDI out or EigenBrowser correctly, which makes using scales a bit limited.

Then, apart from this technical problem, another thing is I would like to configure a bit more the MIDI keys (note layout, and change the 2 keys at the end). Geert was talking about flexibility, this is where I want my flexibility to be. Maybe other users prefer to keep the same layout and focus on other functionalities, that's their choice. You have to be understanding with the fact that not every person is going to use the Eigenharp in the same way.
I just thought it wouldn't be too hard to change that, however, as it would cost me £139,I'll do it maybe another time.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I hope fixing the eigenbrowser I can get closer to the flexibility I want.

written by: keyman

Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:21:14 +0000 GMT

If you like to practice "Eigen pole vault" and like to go beyond default configuration, that's up with you!
You have to learn the tools available at a given moment, and make your way.

If you did a quick search here on the forum you'll discover that key layout or small customizations are all around, either for 1.4 and 2.0.( setups with no MIDI, all playing keys, all blinking red keys, no playing keys, just send CC12....)
but if you can't load an STAGE tab or see the benefits of scrips/ Belcanto... I don't know how to...

You are correct not every person is using the Eigenharps the same way, but that does not imply Eigenlabs has to build specific setups for each and every situation possible.

As @carvingCode said me or other user can help out, some level of customization.

Workbench is the tool to change as little or build complete setups from ground up.

Sun, 2 Dec 2012 19:51:58 +0000 GMT

Thanks to Geert for helping me out with this, I used the setup 2 for midi, and about EigenBrowser not showing menus it was just that the EigenBrowser screen doesn't always update when you get into a menu.

Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:47:29 +0000 GMT

The newly release EigenD 2.0.74 has new MIDI only setups for each instrument in the experimental section of the load window. These essentially behave exactly the same as the setups from EigenD 1.4, but now built using Workbench.

Please log in to join the discussions