Hi Geert,

many thanks!

I've started a new thread here.

Thanks,
Bjoern

written by: Bjoern

Sat, 12 May 2012 23:15:00 +0100 BST

Hello,

should XML-RPC work under EigenD 2.0 as before?

Does the functionality need to be enabled somehow, or should it just be possible to connect to http://localhost:55553 ?

written by: benjamind2008

Sat, 12 May 2012 23:25:07 +0100 BST

I am developing a program that when a chord is played through a MIDI port it will set up a Pico to play the chord and harmonics. Hopefully 2.0 won't cause any problems.

Kmapper is the thing to watch out for, I think 2.0 will make it easier to set up key layouts.

Sun, 13 May 2012 11:15:09 +0100 BST

I've just done some testing, and my scripts do work with 1.4.12-stable, but not with 2.0.48-experimental.

Is the XML-RPC functionality not yet finished in 2.0 ? Or maybe I am not looking at the right port, and I can't recall whether it's possible to set the port somewhere.

See also here.

Thanks!

written by: geert

Sun, 13 May 2012 11:26:06 +0100 BST

Can you provide more information? What do your scripts do? What doesn't work? You need to have an Interpreter agent to activate the XML-RPC interface. Maybe you don't have one in your custom EigenD setup or are you using the factory setup?

Have you launched Stage and does that work? It uses the same XML-RPC interface.

Sun, 13 May 2012 12:33:20 +0100 BST

Hi Geert,

I am using the pico factory setup in 2.0 (latest experimental)

I am trying this (which worked in 1.4):

import xmlrpclib
import sys
s=xmlrpclib.Server('http://localhost:55553')
s.execBelcanto( "..."):

I am getting a connection refused, so I guess that means that the interpreter agent is not running, or that I have the port wrong?

How would I check on the XML-RPC interface in Stage? Stage is able to control the pico as normal.

Thanks!

Mon, 14 May 2012 07:17:58 +0100 BST

Hi Bjoern,

If Stage is able to connect to EigenD, everything is OK on the EigenD XML/RPC front. It uses port 55553 and is able to get all the date to and from it. I just did a quick test and the Python you posted works just fine with 2.0.48.

Maybe something is different in your networking setup at the moment that prevent a Python script to connect?

Take care,

Geert

Mon, 14 May 2012 10:22:15 +0100 BST

Hi Geert,

thanks for the message! I've tried both 2 and 1.4 side by side:

In 2.0.48-experimental Stage connects to EigenD as normal, i.e. I can control the pico settings from Stage. However, the above code doesn't work for me. (I am using the pico factor setup.)

In 1.4, Stage works, and the above code works.

When I browse to localhost:55553, I get

Error response
Error code 501.
Error code explanation: 501 = Server does not support this operation.

So it seems the server is running on that port, and that the port is accessible.

Bjoern

Mon, 14 May 2012 10:56:49 +0100 BST

Hi Bjoern,

This actually means that the XML/RPC server only responds to POST HTTP requests, which is what it's supposed to do. XML/RPC isn't supposed to respond to GET requests, if it used to, that was a bug :-)

You should use a proper XML/RPC client or construct valid HTTP POST requests to communicate with the backend.

If you really want to check if a server is responding on a port, you can use telnet. However, since Stage works, you can be sure that it does.

telnet 127.0.0.1 55553

If telnet just hangs and says 'Connected to', it works.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Mon, 14 May 2012 11:21:15 +0100 BST

Hi Bjoern,

Everything should be documented in the release notes. There are several sections though, the changes and improvements are at the end of the document, while the bug fixes are at the beginning.

Best regards,

Geert

Mon, 14 May 2012 11:22:34 +0100 BST

Ah! OK - yes, the server is definitely working! THANKS!

I tried my belcanto commands through the commander, and they don't work either! So the issue is with the belcanto!

I have some scripts that start:

empty join
kgroup 1 listen

which no longer work. Has kgroup changed to keygroup? This doesn't work either:

empty join
keygroup 1 listen

What has changed? Are there some bits in the release notes that I missed?

Many thanks!

Mon, 14 May 2012 12:34:13 +0100 BST

Hi Geert,

many thanks!

I've started a new thread here.

Thanks,
Bjoern

Please log in to join the discussions