Forum rss-feed

Forum

Developers: Belcanto questions

Most Recent

written by: Bjoern

Hi 0beron,

I'm on a pico!

It would be great to have the clarinet, together with midi.

Many thanks for this - really appreciate it!
Bjoern

Mon, 14 May 2012 14:14:24 +0100 BST

Hi all,

I've got some questions about Belcanto.

kgroup

The following worked in 1.4, but in EigenD 2.048-experimental it doesnt:

empty join
kgroup 1 listen

Any ideas? (The question came from this thread.)

Fingerer

The second question is to do with the
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Fingerer/, which has this example:

fingerer 1 hey
fingering to tin whistle set

However the fingerer first needs to be created - Could somebody post a complete example that puts a pico into tin whistle fingering. (Originally in this thread.)

2.0 Illuminator
(Edit: Sorry, I'd said midi Illuminator here, I meant the 2.0 Illuminator Agent, see posts below.)
Finally, there was also this question, about a complete belcanto example for how to start the midi illuminator.

I'd really appreciate some hints!

Many thanks!
Bjoern

written by: geert

Mon, 14 May 2012 13:01:55 +0100 BST

Hi Bjoern,

A quick reply about most of your questions.

The kgroup agent got renamed to keygroup in EigenD 2. When using Belcanto you refer to agents by their proper name. This can be different in each setup and is one of the reasons why Workbench is so handy. You can use Workbench to look through a setup, identify the name of the agent you want to talk to, and use that name in Belcanto. Belcanto scripts are really only guaranteed to work against specific setups since the agent names can be different all the time. Someone could even name their keygroup something totally different.

Agents can easily be created in Workbench by using the create tool and selecting the agent from the popup list. Afterwards you can then also configure them in Workbench. If you want to create agents in Belcanto, their position will not be defined and they'll be very hard to visualize in Workbench.

Midi Illuminator is not an agent that's supported by Eigenlabs and given the amount of changes that were made in the key and light handling for EigenD 2, I don't expect Midi Illuminator to actually work with it. I don't know if Ferdinand ported it to EigenD 2. The instructions for use will most probably be very different also, if it's ported.

Take care,

Geert

Mon, 14 May 2012 14:15:51 +0100 BST

Hi Geert,

I'd also tried addressing "keygroup 1", but that's not working either. Surely there is a keygroup 1 in the Factory setup? Or is it called something else?

I do appreciate the comments about workbench. I don't have workbench at the moment. I am considering it though. I would really like to be able to try out some of the 2.0 feature first, before making that decision.

With the illuminator, I got confused. I meant the Illuminator agent in 2.0, and was looking for a belcanto example that starts the Illuminator agent, so that e.g.

curl http://localhost:1024/row/1/column/5 -X PUT --data green

can work.

Many thanks!

written by: geert

Mon, 14 May 2012 14:26:08 +0100 BST

Hi Bjoern,

In the Pico Factory setup 1 that's part of the experimental EigenD 2 release, the primary keygroup is called 'main keygroup'. Note that these setups are not set in stone yet and that the agent names could still change before moving EigenD 2 to testing releases.

For the Illuminator in EigenD 2.0, you first have to create it, then connect it up properly with the right inputs and outputs, configure the server port and start the agent. The Belcanto is all documented on the wiki page you linked to. You'll probably need quite a bit a trial and error to figure out how to connected it properly just using Belcanto. With Workbench you can simply create the agent with the create tool and connect all the wiring visually. With the property editor the configuration and server start are just a few clicks away.

Take care,

Geert

Mon, 14 May 2012 18:37:58 +0100 BST

(in response to carvingCode): Especially as I guess it's not possible to "ask questions" of the setup in Belcanto, i.e. "list all agents", "list all connections", "what are the names of all keygroups", ...? (Or is this possible?)

It would would be really nice if somebody could share e.g. a setup with an illuminator, and perhaps a setup with a fingerer, so that this could be tried out (without first buying workbench :-)

Bjoern

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 14 May 2012 18:36:33 +0100 BST

>>
Belcanto scripts are really only guaranteed to work against specific setups since the agent names can be different all the time. Someone could even name their keygroup something totally different.
<<

Sorry for the hyjack:

I like flexibility, but this is a bad idea. Setups are difficult enough to figure out (Belcanto or Workbench) without adding in inconsistent agent names.

What effect will this have on the far too few that have enough grasp of things to offer help to the rest of us?

Randy

written by: john

Mon, 14 May 2012 18:46:37 +0100 BST

Hi Randy

Agents can be arbitrarily renamed but that's not to say it's a good idea as a matter of course. The freedom to do so is a useful feature but you're not forced to use it, it's just there if you want it. There will mostly be a sane if rather dull and uninformative default name chosen for you when you create a new Agent - the name of the agent plus a number.

We mostly try to keep names consistent in the Factory setups, but Geert is quite right, there's no reason why you or anyone else might not name things differently. There are actually good reasons for this freedom. You might for example want to name a sampler oscillator 'piano oscillator' if that's what you use it for all the time. Or a rig might be named differently to indicate what it does in some way. It's not really our place to stop you doing that, it's up to you if you want that. It has always been possible to do this incidentally, it's not a new feature and scripts have always been setup specific to varying degrees.

Once we have finalised the main Factory setups then we won't be changing them very much and all these names should remain consistent unless you choose to rename them yourself. You can then choose to be as consistent as you wish.

John

Tue, 15 May 2012 09:40:50 +0100 BST

Hi 0beron,

that would be fantastic - I'm on a pico!

Bjoern

written by: 0beron

Tue, 15 May 2012 09:56:44 +0100 BST

@Bjoern which model of eigenharp do you play? I'd be happy to publish a setup or two (based on the factory setups) that have an illuminator and/or a fingerer in them. I don't own a Tau so can't really help unless it's on Alpha or Pico though.

Thinking aloud, would it be possible to make an Alpha setup with a main keygroup shaped like a Tau keyboard, and maybe use the first 8 percussion keys like the round switches. Then a Tau player could load the setup and convert it for use on a tau by deleting the main keygroup and substituting the tau keyboard agent? I suppose the physical key numbers would all be out of synch?

Could the Alpha be setup in Tau emulation mode, say by using a tau keyboard agent (thus making tau setups playable on both Alpha and Tau with no modifications?)

Tue, 15 May 2012 10:45:21 +0100 BST

Ideally I would like a setup in which the fingerer can be turned on and off, so that I can switch from keyboard style fingerings to woodwind fingering without needing to change setups. Is that possible?

If that's too hard then one setup with fingerer and illuminator and one setup just with illuminator would be great!

As an aside, the Fingerer uses a different mechanism from the "usual" keyboard layouts. My 1.4 keyboard layout scripts no longer work in 2.0, and I wonder whether there's now a simpler way of doing keyboard layouts.

Thanks!

written by: 0beron

Tue, 15 May 2012 11:11:39 +0100 BST

Are there particular instruments like the clarinet you want to play with the fingerer, or do you want the option of the fingerer on all the instruments? I can add the fingerer option for just the clarinet as another instrument slot that you would select from the keygroup mode key, that way you could play around with it and see what it's like at least. Adding it throughout the setup is a lot of work.

Do you play Alpha, Tau or Pico?

Tue, 15 May 2012 11:47:43 +0100 BST

Hi 0beron,

I'm on a pico!

It would be great to have the clarinet, together with midi.

Many thanks for this - really appreciate it!
Bjoern

Please log in to join the discussions