Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: no joy on WinXP Home

Most Recent

written by: Lenatipi

john said:
Hi Nsqtr

I'm afraid that XP is not supported by EigenD. Windows 7 is the supported Microsoft OS. There are unfortunately quite a few differences between XP and later Windows (many of these changes happened for Vista, and people have found it works OK on that OS even if it unsupported), some of which are in the USB and Audio subsystems. We haven't tried running on XP but these differences mean that it in unlikely that EigenD will work satisfactorily.

If your computer is powerful enough then a Windows 7 upgrade might be a feasible alternative (and in reality if it's not able to run 7 it's unlikely to be up to running EigenD anyway). Jim (our Technical Director) tells me that it is actually good, which I don't think could be said for Vista. I held off upgrading from XP on one of my studio machines for years because I disliked Vista so much, but think you'd find 7 a genuine improvement over XP. We decided not to worry about XP simply because most people seemed to either have upgraded or were about to when we asked them. The cost of supporting a very different USB/Audio subsystem is also considerable since that part of the application needs a lot of testing after every change, however minor.

Sorry that I couldn't be more immediately useful. Hopefully the couch is reasonably comfortable...

John

thanks for sharing!

written by: nsqtr

Sat, 19 Mar 2011 23:09:53 +0000 GMT

I've got a fully-patched version of WinXP Home onto which I have tried to install and use eigenD, with no luck. I've tried versions 1.2.14-stable and 1.3.13-unstable. I uninstalled 1.2.14-stable before trying the unstable release.

My system does recognize my Pico and upon the first plugin, the devices drivers were found and installed with a little help from me. When I plug the Pico into a port, I can confirm it is found as an "Eigenlabs Instrument/
EigenHarp Pico".

However, in both versions, once I fire up eigenD the process goes to 99% cpu usage and I never get any lights on my Pico.

I know the Pico works correctly b/c I've also got a Mac that I use with it. I very much need to move over to my old WinXP Home machine so my wife can use the Mac and I don't have to keep sleeping on the couch.

Help is greatly appreciated.

written by: john

Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:03:49 +0000 GMT

Hi Nsqtr

I'm afraid that XP is not supported by EigenD. Windows 7 is the supported Microsoft OS. There are unfortunately quite a few differences between XP and later Windows (many of these changes happened for Vista, and people have found it works OK on that OS even if it unsupported), some of which are in the USB and Audio subsystems. We haven't tried running on XP but these differences mean that it in unlikely that EigenD will work satisfactorily.

If your computer is powerful enough then a Windows 7 upgrade might be a feasible alternative (and in reality if it's not able to run 7 it's unlikely to be up to running EigenD anyway). Jim (our Technical Director) tells me that it is actually good, which I don't think could be said for Vista. I held off upgrading from XP on one of my studio machines for years because I disliked Vista so much, but think you'd find 7 a genuine improvement over XP. We decided not to worry about XP simply because most people seemed to either have upgraded or were about to when we asked them. The cost of supporting a very different USB/Audio subsystem is also considerable since that part of the application needs a lot of testing after every change, however minor.

Sorry that I couldn't be more immediately useful. Hopefully the couch is reasonably comfortable...

John

written by: nsqtr

Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:08:58 +0000 GMT

My bad! I knew Vista wasn't supported, so assumed WinXP was the baseline. Sorry to have wasted your time. I'll hustle out and pick up a Win7 upgrade so I can get a good night's sleep.

written by: margo26

Wed, 24 Aug 2016 09:08:36 +0100 BST

Hey, everybody! If you suffer from insomnia and night is the most terrible time for you, follow this source to find out how you can fix this situation and get a deep and happy sleep http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/10-tips-how-to-get-great-nights-sleep-every-day

written by: Lenatipi

Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:56:51 +0100 BST

john said:
Hi Nsqtr

John

thanks for sharing!

Please log in to join the discussions