Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Interesting Layout

Most Recent

written by: NothanUmber

Want to make a video tutorial once I feel confident enough that the results will be worthwhile for both the wholetone and the twotone horizontal layout (which nicely derive from and complement each other)

Mon, 7 May 2012 20:21:57 +0100 BST

Have been experimenting with an interesting layout (knew this already before but haven't seen some of the nice features on first sight).

* use a whole tone scale
* set all course offsets to 1 semitone (did not find a way to do this with Workbench yet (it seems to use scale steps which is not the desired effect in this case), but "keygroup 1 hey course 2 to 1 semitone set" etc. should do it.

Now going down increases a halftone and going left a semitone. A specific scale or chord can always be played with the same shape and fingering on the Alpha (on Tau you need at least two fingerings). Chord shapes are similar to the horizontal layout with one row offset between fingers - but there are many more possible fingerings in this layout. This variety and symmetry is bought with a smaller range (than with horizontal layout but still slightly more than standard layout) and the fact that chords need more space (than in horizontal layout), so your range between highest and lowest note per hand in a chord is comparable to a piano - not much more than an octave).

Not sure yet how challenging this is to play for nontrivial pieces (you have at least to be able to play a combined "finger beneath" and "finger behind" each other technique for scales). But it's interesting to find unusual chord progressions - and it's very "logical" for both scales and chords.
Range is slightly below 4 octaves (most notes occur 2 or 3 times).

Have fun!

Thu, 10 May 2012 23:39:09 +0100 BST

Really start to like this layout!
In the mean time I mirrored all the courses so they go from buttom to top. That way melodies are more in the upper area while accompaniment is more at the bottom what I find easier to play if you hold the instrument left from your head. And all the fingerings from the horizontal layout work again :)
Experimenting with new approaches to play scales by combining horizontal and vertical movement - interesting!

written by: carvingCode

Fri, 11 May 2012 00:31:48 +0100 BST

Ferdinand - A practical example, screen shot, video, etch-a-sketch drawing of your setup and resultant fingering pattern would be cool to see.

Randy

Fri, 11 May 2012 18:51:51 +0100 BST

Want to make a video tutorial once I feel confident enough that the results will be worthwhile for both the wholetone and the twotone horizontal layout (which nicely derive from and complement each other)

Please log in to join the discussions