Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Recording a song with Quicktime Player

Most Recent

written by: MarkPowell

Now that's something I'd not thought of doing! So essentially you use Guitar Rig's tape deck to record from within ED and then put the stems into something else once recorded? That sounds like it might give me what I'm looking for and means I wouldn't have to have the DAW running all the time. Even better since my upgrade from Komplete 6 to Komplete Ultimate 8 is winging its way from Germany as i type!

That's the joy of Workbench I guess - many ways to skin a cat. The negative aspect is such flexibility gives enormous scope for procrastination in my case. ;-(

written by: earthspot

Fri, 4 May 2012 01:07:36 +0100 BST

Just discovered (...shame, should have known it!) you can record sound and movies (including what's on the screen) with the bundled-in Quicktime Player -- don't need "Pro".
(Snow Leopard, 10.6.8)
But how do you get it to take the sound directly from EigenD without having to go via the speakers and internal microphone? Have tried fooling around with Audio Line In, in various configurations, including connecting it directly to the earphone socket. Zilch.
AFAICT Audacity & Garageband have the same limitation, which must be a Core-Audio one.

Fri, 4 May 2012 08:23:48 +0100 BST

Hi Earthspot,
Get yourself a copy of Soundflower, which is free from www.cycling74.com. That will let you set the output of EigenD to Soundflower and the input of your recording app to record it. Geert did a nice video of how to set this up his EigenZone site if I recall, but shout if you need more info.

Cheers,
Mark

Sat, 5 May 2012 02:59:18 +0100 BST

Thanks, Mark, that sounds a good tool to have. Just downloaded it, play with it over the weekend.

Solved my immediate problem by connecting the earphone output of iMac to mic of my old Win2000 Toshiba, which actually has a very nice sound system controlled by an all-powerful mixer (an extended "Volume Control" utility) able to rip quality sound from any source. (The only good thing about it!) Then I ran Audacity on the Toshiba.
++ Big plus: I knew exactly what I was doing from long experience.
-- Big minus: it uses two computers: will be nice to get it all on the iMac 'cos I'm trying to rid my soul of Windows.

Wasn't Geert's tutorial an old one to do with connecting Pico as a MIDI instrument to Garageband? Can do that: and Garageband finds the Pico by itself nowadays without having to tinker with System Preferences. If Geert's made a later tutorial for not (just) MIDI can someone give me a weblink please?

MarkPowell said:
Hi Earthspot,
Get yourself a copy of Soundflower, which is free from www.cycling74.com. That will let you set the output of EigenD to Soundflower and the input of your recording app to record it. Geert did a nice video of how to set this up his EigenZone site if I recall, but shout if you need more info.

Cheers,
Mark

Sat, 5 May 2012 04:19:38 +0100 BST

MarkPowell said:
Get yourself a copy of Soundflower, which is free from www.cycling74.com...

Thanks, Mark, Soundflower does the trick.

For another beginner following this topic, you just have to install Soundflower, then set:

EigenD Window > Audio Settings / Device Name: Soundflower (2 ch)

Audacity Preferences...
> Devices / Recording Device: Soundflower (2 ch)
> Recording / Software Playthrough [ON]
...so you can hear sound as its being recorded.

This silences the Eigenharp when you're not recording, so it must be turned back on afterwards with:
EigenD Window > Audio Settings / Device Name: Built-in Output

The procedure is detailed in:
http://cycling74.com/2012/04/02/expand-your-sound-palette-with-soundflower/
--though with Max/MSP in place of EigenD.

Ian / earthspot

written by: geert

Sat, 5 May 2012 06:58:13 +0100 BST

Quick remark, note that Soundflower on MacOSX Lion is very unreliable. Sadly there's no real replacement.

Sat, 5 May 2012 08:43:22 +0100 BST

Thanks for that Geert - yet another thing to convince me to stick with Snow Leopard.

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 5 May 2012 13:07:51 +0100 BST

If you have an audio interface that also has optical IO (TOSLINK) you can select digital out in EigenD and route the signal to the interface.

From there use the interface in whatever programs you like for recording / mixing.

Of course, this only gives you 2 channels. There are a few interfaces that support virtual channels (Metric Halo is one, if expensive). Many mixers support virtual channems although they are more bulky and typically more expensive.

*Some* MOTU interfaces support including 'computer sound' in order to allow a return from a virtual FX unit. That might also work.

Sat, 5 May 2012 14:48:25 +0100 BST

geert said:
Quick remark, note that Soundflower on MacOSX Lion is very unreliable. Sadly there's no real replacement.

I've not installed Lion yet: I'm still with Snow Leopard... and likely to remain so, for all the trouble I've heard of Lion giving with my fav software.

Ian / earthspot

Sat, 5 May 2012 14:57:39 +0100 BST

Hi Mike,
The Focusrite Saffire Pro interfaces all have a loopback function on them - I know because I've just bought one specifically for routing EigenD into Live. I looked at the Metric Halo after seeing Geert demo his on the Clubhouse a few weeks ago, but figured Mrs P would probably get the locks changed the next time I left the house if I bought one so soon after an Alpha. Instead I bought a Saffire Pro 14 for a highly reasonable 150GBP and, although it only arrived yesterday, it seems to work nicely so far. Similar to using an output and physically looping back with a cable, it's only two channels, but does the job for what I need. It's firewire bus powered and fits nicely in the bag with the Basestation Pro as well.

Cheers,
Mark.

Sat, 5 May 2012 15:02:50 +0100 BST

Hi Ian,
I'm the same. Although Native Instruments and Ableton released Lion-compatible patches not too long after Lion was released, I've seen too many reports of disk thrashing and poor performance. I decided, even though Lion is only 25 quid, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' and have stuck with SL.

Mark

written by: geert

Sat, 5 May 2012 19:22:12 +0100 BST

What I've been doing recently with EigenD 2.0, is just put an AudioUnit plugin after the console mixer with a mult of the audio coming out of there. This AudioUnit can record the audio very easily. There are various options for this, I settled on either Native Instruments Guitar Rig or Plogue Bidule.

Sat, 5 May 2012 20:19:28 +0100 BST

Now that's something I'd not thought of doing! So essentially you use Guitar Rig's tape deck to record from within ED and then put the stems into something else once recorded? That sounds like it might give me what I'm looking for and means I wouldn't have to have the DAW running all the time. Even better since my upgrade from Komplete 6 to Komplete Ultimate 8 is winging its way from Germany as i type!

That's the joy of Workbench I guess - many ways to skin a cat. The negative aspect is such flexibility gives enormous scope for procrastination in my case. ;-(

Please log in to join the discussions