Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Keyboard bar graph (OSC/Illuminator)

Most Recent

written by: MarkPowell

Very nice indeed! I imagine that this would look amazing on a darkened stage.

My planned project is a sample chopper similar to the Monome MLR app (or perhaps an interface to allow the Alpha to work as a funny shaped Monome). However, what with my background being commercial database applications and my family commitments I currently have an ETA of around December 2040.

written by: 0beron

Wed, 25 Apr 2012 01:26:38 +0100 BST

Here's a demo of my current eigenharp project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zkuyYnD5kE

(Apologies to the poor folks in my friends/circles on FB/G+ who are going to get this three times over..)

This is a setup built from scratch in EigenD 2.0.44-experimental, with the keyboard hooked directly to an osc output agent. That goes to an 80 line python script that finds the maximum pressure / pitch bend signal across the keyboard, and then spits out a light pattern over HTTP that goes back into eigenD through the illuminator agent.

written by: carvingCode

Wed, 25 Apr 2012 02:50:05 +0100 BST

Neat!

written by: geert

Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:23:06 +0100 BST

Very nice idea!!

I was wondering why you opted to use OSC and the Illuminator agent. Giving your technical skills, I think that writing a dedicated Python agent, probably using the Illuminator as a basis, would have been less work and easier to set up?

written by: john

Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:05:28 +0100 BST

Hi 0beron

That looks really neat. Traditional folk music will probably never recover.

I think Geert's right though, you might have gone a long way around the houses in the implementation. You probably didn't know but Illuminator is pure Python, so really easy to hack on - you might want to have a go implementing it like that, it would probably be a lot lighter and less fiddly to set up. You can probably near enough cut and paste your code into a copy of it, with some tweaking.

John

Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:51:07 +0100 BST

I think that's the next thing I'll try. I wanted to fiddle with the osc agent as well, just to ensure I knew how to catch its output.

The illuminator agent has a key input port, but does it have inputs for the other data streams? I'd need to bolt on a few more inputs for pressure, roll and yaw etc (although I guess that'll be easier than adding say the breath pipe to the osc agent).

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:31:35 +0100 BST

How neat. Will you be using that at your next gig?

Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:43:23 +0100 BST

All things being well. It only works in 2.0.44 (which seems rock solid while actually playing, but still prone to falling over when building new stuff in workbench and), and you have to be careful to decimate the data enough otherwise it can start to impact performance.

Maybe that's another reason to internalise it in the illuminator (or a copy) since then the eigenD threading system can more aggressively throttle back the light show rather than relying on the OS scheduler throttling back the external python interpreter.

written by: MarkPowell

Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:47:35 +0100 BST

Very nice indeed! I imagine that this would look amazing on a darkened stage.

My planned project is a sample chopper similar to the Monome MLR app (or perhaps an interface to allow the Alpha to work as a funny shaped Monome). However, what with my background being commercial database applications and my family commitments I currently have an ETA of around December 2040.

Please log in to join the discussions