Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Rangers and the strip controllers.

Most Recent

written by: 0beron

Hi folks, I'm trying to make a custom setup in workbench in 2.0.44X, and I've got myself one giant keygroup with two outputs for two audio units. I've made a talker that lives permanently at the top right of the keyboard to toggle between the outputs, without needing a mode key.
Now I want to hook the strip controllers to the volume of my two audio units, so I've connected each of the absolute strip outputs on the keyboard agent through a ranger agent, and the output from that to the volume input of the relevant channel on my console mixer agent.
This works, but I can't get a behaviour from it that I can predict - the volume does vary but not in the way I thought it would.

First - what is the exact difference between the strip controller outputs marked 'absolute' and the other 'strip position' outputs? For example if I put my finger at the top of strip 1, and slide all the way to the other end, what stream of values comes out? I guess absolute goes from -1 to 1, and relative goes from 0 to 1 at the halfway point and then stays there? If I were start at the bottom and slide my finger up, then absolute goes 1 to -1 and relative starts at 0 and goes down to -1 at the halfway point?

Secondly, how exactly does the ranger behave? Does it expect its input to be -1 to 1 or some other range? I think I understand what min, max and sticky do, and I have sticky switched on so that the volume doesn't snap back to the rest value when you let go. Min and max I have at 0 and 120, since 120 is the range of the console mixer channels. What does the 'absolute' option do, and how might it interact with the absolute or relative strip values?

Anyway, I want one of the two following behaviors, both of which make the strip controller behave much like a giant virtual fader:
Either:
1 - Top of the strip is max volume ie 120, bottom of the strip is 0.
Pros: You can get a specific volume by pressing the strip in the relevant place, which is always the same.
Cons: You get a jump in volume unless you start the slide at the current value.

2 - When you press the strip, nothing happens until you slide. Sliding up makes the volume louder, capping at 120. Sliding down makes it quieter stopping at 0.
Pros: No volume jumps
Cons: No 1 to 1 mapping between volume and position on the strip.

If I aim for behavior 1, I hook the absolute strip positions to a ranger, with min/max set to 0 and 120, sticky on. The other options don't make a difference as far as I can tell. This gets you most of the way there, but if you sweep the volume in one direction, then let go and sweep the other way, you don't get the same volume levels as before, you have to slide way past the position you used the first time.

Have I set up my rangers in the wrong way (most likely) or is this a bug?

written by: 0beron

Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:57:37 +0100 BST

Hi folks, I'm trying to make a custom setup in workbench in 2.0.44X, and I've got myself one giant keygroup with two outputs for two audio units. I've made a talker that lives permanently at the top right of the keyboard to toggle between the outputs, without needing a mode key.
Now I want to hook the strip controllers to the volume of my two audio units, so I've connected each of the absolute strip outputs on the keyboard agent through a ranger agent, and the output from that to the volume input of the relevant channel on my console mixer agent.
This works, but I can't get a behaviour from it that I can predict - the volume does vary but not in the way I thought it would.

First - what is the exact difference between the strip controller outputs marked 'absolute' and the other 'strip position' outputs? For example if I put my finger at the top of strip 1, and slide all the way to the other end, what stream of values comes out? I guess absolute goes from -1 to 1, and relative goes from 0 to 1 at the halfway point and then stays there? If I were start at the bottom and slide my finger up, then absolute goes 1 to -1 and relative starts at 0 and goes down to -1 at the halfway point?

Secondly, how exactly does the ranger behave? Does it expect its input to be -1 to 1 or some other range? I think I understand what min, max and sticky do, and I have sticky switched on so that the volume doesn't snap back to the rest value when you let go. Min and max I have at 0 and 120, since 120 is the range of the console mixer channels. What does the 'absolute' option do, and how might it interact with the absolute or relative strip values?

Anyway, I want one of the two following behaviors, both of which make the strip controller behave much like a giant virtual fader:
Either:
1 - Top of the strip is max volume ie 120, bottom of the strip is 0.
Pros: You can get a specific volume by pressing the strip in the relevant place, which is always the same.
Cons: You get a jump in volume unless you start the slide at the current value.

2 - When you press the strip, nothing happens until you slide. Sliding up makes the volume louder, capping at 120. Sliding down makes it quieter stopping at 0.
Pros: No volume jumps
Cons: No 1 to 1 mapping between volume and position on the strip.

If I aim for behavior 1, I hook the absolute strip positions to a ranger, with min/max set to 0 and 120, sticky on. The other options don't make a difference as far as I can tell. This gets you most of the way there, but if you sweep the volume in one direction, then let go and sweep the other way, you don't get the same volume levels as before, you have to slide way past the position you used the first time.

Have I set up my rangers in the wrong way (most likely) or is this a bug?

Please log in to join the discussions