Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: How to make a Pico OSC setup

Most Recent

written by: Scuz793

hello John,

I want to look into using the pico to control dmx equipment as well as sound.

the main problem i'm having with the midi out is that it only appears to send the midi note, instead of the specific key, so im having difficulty assigning functions to particular keys in max/msp, because scale and octave change these values.

i agree with dhjdhj that an osc-only setup would probably be most useful.

written by: WM

Sun, 15 Apr 2012 21:47:28 +0100 BST

Hello there, everyone,

I was wondering, how could a simple OSC setup for the Pico be made(using Belcanto, i.e. worbench-less)? Or does one exist already?

written by: 0beron

Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:10:31 +0100 BST

Is this in 2.0 or 1.4?

written by: WM

Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:27:15 +0100 BST

I would be grateful for a solution for either one of those versions.

Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:00:05 +0100 BST

Hello, awesome eigenlab dudes.

I, too would dearly like to learn how to output osc from my pico. either having ago at it myself or having it all ready to go in a setup.

I also have no real preference of which version it would be on. I'm on 1.4 at the moment but i figured 2.0 would be necessary for this sort of thing.

thanks

written by: Eigenstein

Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:46:17 +0100 BST

Consider me another interested party. I, too, am looking to do this.

written by: john

Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:44:51 +0100 BST

The OSC Agent is still considered to be 'experimental' and we probably won't be making it a formal addition to the system until 2.1. Having said that it seems to be working well, even in it's current primitive form (Jim wrote it in literally a day to demonstrate how to write an Agent for the developer community). We'll look into making a setup for it, perhaps under a new 'experimental' category, for 2.0 to assist people in figuring out how to use it.

Please be aware that the Agent itself, and the OSC implementation it delivers, is subject to quite a bit of potential change when we formally integrate OSC support - it's not a finished project by any means.

John

written by: john

Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:56:27 +0100 BST

We've had a discussion about this and have decided to create a new 'Experimental' top level setup category, under which we can put a first version on an OSC setup for people to play with, as well as it providing a starting point to develop their own setups using Workbench.

The question then arose, what should such an OSC setup look like, ie what should it do? The most basic (and quite trvial) setup just sends the entire keybaord to the OSC Agent, but I'd like to canvas opinion as to exactly what is wanted, so please let us know. Do people want scale support etc?

John

written by: MarkPowell

Fri, 15 Jun 2012 23:15:37 +0100 BST

Hi John,
I don't know whether you're ultimately be looking at doing an Alpha version as well, but if so I'd be interested in a setup that didn't try too hard to abstract things and just gave a raw interface to and from the Eigenharp, The Monome is a good example of the kind of thing I'm talking about; a simple OSC schema that allows key presses to be tracked (along with other key attributes such as pitch, yaw and pressure in the case of the 'harp), plus an interface in the opposite direction allow direct control of key lights.

Thanks,
Mark.

written by: dhjdhj

Sat, 16 Jun 2012 04:22:24 +0100 BST

I'm just using an OSC setup now. EigenD sends raw OSC data to my Max environment and I do almost everything there, including splits, layering, scales and tuning. X,Y and Z (pressure) is also captured for each individual key.

I also built an object that produces different notes depending on what keys are held down, which gives me access to monophonic notes across several octaves, with only a small number of keys.

I've also been able to implement that excellent trick for setting LEDs to desired colors by pressing them and storing the appropriate data.

I also use keys as triggers to control other changes that I want to have happen in real time, for example, it's easy to change the tuning in real time by just changing a route from one max object to a different one.

So I would say that if one has access to the right programming environment to receive data, then an OSC-only setup would be very useful

The only thing I have not figured out how to do well is detect initial velocity with minimal latency from the incoming OSC stream. I'd love some suggestions for that but even better would be if EigenD could include a velocity value (ranging from 0+epsilon to 1.0) early in the OSC sequence that gets sent out. On that case, I would ignore initial OSC values that come from a key when it is first pressed until I see a velocity event. That would be incredibly useful.

Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:10:43 +0100 BST

hello John,

I want to look into using the pico to control dmx equipment as well as sound.

the main problem i'm having with the midi out is that it only appears to send the midi note, instead of the specific key, so im having difficulty assigning functions to particular keys in max/msp, because scale and octave change these values.

i agree with dhjdhj that an osc-only setup would probably be most useful.

Please log in to join the discussions