Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: How to use the Fingerer

Most Recent

written by: Bjoern

Hi 0beron, hi all,

> Can eigenlabs design and build the 'eigenharp femto' or something (just 5 or 6 eigenkeys in a little standalone stick with a USB port) so I tape one onto the back of the pico (I'm kidding)...

Well :-) woodwind instruments of course do have keys for one thumb, on occasion even both thumbs.

Making a femto or pico with keys on the back is a whole new design, but I was wondering about the possibility of putting simple (flat) touch contacts on the back of the pico, and feeding that into EigenD.

So that's 1. a little electronics project (touch contacts to usb) - any thoughts or design ideas?

but 2. also a programming task, to get additional information into EigenD - any thoughts on that?

Cheers!

(Actually, the 2nd part of my post raises the general question whether other interfaces / control surfaces can provide input to EigenD... )

written by: NothanUmber

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 23:46:51 +0000 GMT

I am not sure whether I already completely get the behaviour of the fingerer. Here some observations that make me wonder:
test with "programmer" preset:
* from the pattern keys only the first key 1,1 seems to produce a note by itself, the rest only works in conjunction with the polyphony modifiers
* the modifier keys seem to behave strange when combined with the polyphony keys (they don't transpose an octave).
* modifier keys 2,1 and 2,2 work as defined when combined with the one pattern key that produces a sound. modifier key 3 (2,1 2,2) produces a fourth (+4 scale steps) instead of +24 for me

I also don't understand why the following user pattern does not work (behaviour: I don't get an error message or anything, if I select "familiar" the name is shown in the fingering setting of the Fingerer config dialog but what you hear is the preset that was selected before I went to the "familiar" preset.

[familiar]
finger 1 = 2,7 * +12.0
finger 2 = 2,7 2,8 * +24.0
finger 3 = 2,7 2,8 2,9 * +36.0
finger 4 = 2,9 * -12.0
finger 5 = 2,9 2,8 * -24.0
finger 6 = 2,9 2,7 * -36.0

modifier 1 = 2,6 * +1.0

polyphony 1 = 1,1 * +0.0
polyphony 2 = 1,2 * +1.0
polyphony 3 = 1,3 * +2.0
polyphony 4 = 1,4 * +3.0
polyphony 5 = 2,1 * +4.0
polyphony 6 = 2,2 * +5.0
polyphony 7 = 2,3 * +6.0
polyphony 8 = 2,4 * +7.0
polyphony 9 = 1,5 * +8.0
polyphony 10 = 1,6 * +9.0
polyphony 11 = 1,7 * +10.0
polyphony 12 = 1,8 * +11.0
polyphony 13 = 2,5 * +12.0

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 00:52:58 +0000 GMT

Ok, found explanations for some of the effects:
* My preset did not work because it's name was not a Belcanto word and negative offsets don't seem to be possible in the finger section. (Currently you don't get a syntax error message for neither, it just doesn't work)
* the effect that only finger 1,1 produces a sound by itself seems to be related to audio units (tested with Pianoteq). With the saw oscillator it worked
* couldn't find explanations for the rest of the above questions yet

Here two presets that don't use any features that didn't work for me (alternative 2 is probably better because you can use the thumb hooks with it)

[alternative 1]
finger 1 = open * +37.0
finger 2 = 2,7 * +49.0
finger 3 = 2,7 2,8 * +61.0
finger 4 = 2,7 2,8 2,9 * +73.0
finger 5 = 2,9 * +25.0
finger 6 = 2,9 2,8 * +13.0
finger 7 = 2,9 2,7 * +1.0

modifier 1 = 2,6 * +1.0

polyphony 1 = 1,1 * +0.0
polyphony 2 = 1,2 * +1.0
polyphony 3 = 1,3 * +2.0
polyphony 4 = 1,4 * +3.0
polyphony 5 = 2,1 * +4.0
polyphony 6 = 2,2 * +5.0
polyphony 7 = 2,3 * +6.0
polyphony 8 = 2,4 * +7.0
polyphony 9 = 1,5 * +8.0
polyphony 10 = 1,6 * +9.0
polyphony 11 = 1,7 * +10.0
polyphony 12 = 1,8 * +11.0
polyphony 13 = 2,5 * +12.0

[alternative 2]
finger 1 = open * +49.0
finger 2 = 2,7 * +57.0
finger 3 = 2,8 * +65.0
finger 4 = 2,9 * +73.0
finger 5 = 2,7 2,8 * +81.0
finger 6 = 2,8 2,9 * +89.0
finger 7 = 2,7 2,8 2,9 * +97.0
finger 8 = 1,7 * +41.0
finger 9 = 1,8 * +33.0
finger 10 = 1,9 * +25.0
finger 11 = 1,7 1,8 * +17.0
finger 12 = 1,8 1,9 * +9.0
finger 13 = 1,7 1,8 1,9 * +1

modifier 1 = 2,6 * +1.0
modifier 2 = 1,6 * -1.0

polyphony 1 = 1,1 * +0.0
polyphony 2 = 1,2 * +1.0
polyphony 3 = 1,3 * +2.0
polyphony 4 = 1,4 * +3.0
polyphony 5 = 2,1 * +4.0
polyphony 6 = 2,2 * +5.0
polyphony 7 = 2,3 * +6.0
polyphony 8 = 2,4 * +7.0

written by: 0beron

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 00:56:02 +0000 GMT

I've gone through a few experiments myself. First thing that confused me was that I was trying to attach the fingerer inline with the clarinet oscillator inside the new pico factory setup. This has an upstream keygroup which renumbers everythingm so you have to play the simple whistle mode with your fingers on both hands up at the top of the keyboard (since 'course 1' goes down 4 keys then starts on the second column.)
I made a setup with just the Pico keyboard wired direct to the fingerer, and from there to a scaler -> clarinet -> console mixer -> audio. The keyboard breath output goes direct to the fingerer, and also via a shaper to the clarinet. This makes things behave sensibly I think. Try all the keys on the keyboard, since key 2,1 for example might be somewhere you don't expect it to be.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 01:09:42 +0000 GMT

More experiments. I've got a more complete version of one of the other WX5 finger modes, Sax B, which is the one I've played for 8 or so years now:

[electric sax]
finger 11 = open * +7.0 ; C#
finger 1 = 1,1 * +6.0 ; B
finger 2 = 1,1 1,2 * +5.0 ; A
finger 3 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 * +4.0 ; G
finger 4 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 2,5 * +2.5 ; F nat
finger 5 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 2,5 2,6 * +2.0 ; E
finger 6 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 2,5 2,6 2,7 * +1.0 ; Root Note of scale (D by default on WX)
finger 7 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 2,7 * +3.0 ; F#
finger 8 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 2,6 * +3.0 ; Alternate F#
finger 9 = 2,5 2,6 2,7 * +8.0 ; Top D
finger 10 = 2,5 2,6 * +9.0 ; Top E
finger 12 = 2,6 * +10.0 ; Various Top F#s
finger 13 = 2,7 * +10.0 ; ..
finger 14 = 1,3 2,6 * +10.0 ; ..
finger 15 = 1,3 2,7 * +10.0 ; ..
finger 16 = 1,3 2,5 * +9.5 ; Top F nat
finger 17 = 2,5 * +9.5 ; Top F nat
finger 18 = 1,3 * +11.0 ; Top G
finger 19 = 1,3 2,5 2,6 * +9.0 ; Top E with left ring finger down
finger 20 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 2,6 2,7 * +0.5 ; Eb
finger 21 = 2,6 2,7 * +8.5 ; Top Eb
finger 22 = 1,3 2,6 2,7 * +8.5 ; Top Eb
finger 23 = 1,2 * +6.5 ; C nat
finger 24 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 2,5 2,6 2,7 2,8 * 0.0 ; <-- This doesn't work!!!

My experiment hit the buffers on the last line as you can see. The 'key offsets' (which confused me initially as aI thought they were scale offsets, ie that the 'Root note' of say a major scale is 0.0, but in fact it is 1.0, i.e the first key). It seems that zero and negative key numbers don't work at all, which means that for the WX and presumably the saxophone, you can't number the root note (D on the WX as it's concert pitch by default, on an Alto sax it's a B but sax players call it a D nonetheless since they're strange and awkward :P) as +1.0 without sacrificing all the notes _below_ that note usually played with little finger keys. The workaround, which I think John has used in the factory Sax A emulation, is to take the lowest note playable without modifiers or octave shifts, and set that as +1.0, meaning you have to then renumber everything else and also transpose the scaler to put D in the right place.

For the most part the triggering works OK, but I sometimes get stuck keys where the note carroes on after I stop blowing, or for a while it will stop responding and get stuck on one note, until you re-trigger the breath pipe. Need to work out how to reproduce these conditions.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 01:11:55 +0000 GMT

Wooo ! We're averaging about 1/2 a new fingering setting per hour at this rate!

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 01:21:14 +0000 GMT

Yep :) Not today anymore though from my side, getting late now.

Will have to try the WX5 mode tomorrow!

Regarding my examples above: They only work properly with an audio unit atm., so you don't hear the pattern keys themselves, only the polyphonic modifiers should be audible (otherwise it's like a bagpipe with bordun keys ;) )

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 01:39:28 +0000 GMT

Another question for John: how does eigenD decide what note to play when presented with a fingering combination not present in its list? In my WX fingering I have to list the F#s many times over since there are two right hand fingerings, and 3 or 4 left hand ones (all of which result in top D except 1,1 1,2 1,3 which gets bottom D). Ignoring modifiers and just looking at the playing keys, do I have to specify every one of 2^8 or 2^9 combinations, or does eigenD pick a fingering combination closest to what you have held down?

written by: john

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 11:01:20 +0000 GMT

Hi 0beron, NothanUmber

Great that you're exploring this so quickly! I am looking forward to hearing the first hornpipe played with the Fingerer.

Couple of answers:

1 - 0beron - Fingerer ignores key combinations that are not listed in the fingering, and should do so completely. If you want a valid fingering, you have to define it explicitly. This is long winded when defining the fingering, but after a lot of thought seemed the best approach as it's consistent. The act of defining fingerings is not one I expect to happen a lot, so it hasn't been optimised for speed or convenience. I'd rather work on making the functionality better as I suspect that once we have some canonical fingerings these will be what people mostly stick with.

2 - I think negative key offsets should work. Key coordinate is a floating point number these days and I'm not sure why this doesn't work - I'll try and have a look over the next couple of days. The output is actually a key and as you've noticed we count from 1 not zero (to help musicians, who are not programmers, to understand it). This gets every programmer at least once, welcome to the club. Non programmers have the opposite response, amusingly. I'll add to the 'User Fingerings' guide on the wiki to make this plainer, that page is just a stub for now. I'll also add a clear note to name your fingerings with a valid Belcanto word. Sorry you (NothanUmber) didn't get a syntax error with that, I see if its easy to make one happen.

3 - NothanUmber, I'm not sure why your 'alternative 1' and 'alternative 2' fingerings don't work - they look like they ought to do something. They do look a bit bit weird (but that's no surprise, I figured you'd go straight out and break it in an interesting way) as it looks as if you're using the main pattern as an offset then attempting to use the polyphony modifiers as the main playing keys. The thing to bear in mind is that the main note is always created from the fingering pattern. Without a main note, there is nothing for the modifiers, additions and polyphony to work from, and the main note is what drives all those things. With those fingerings you're going to end up with a constant drone note which may well not be what you are looking for - is that what you had in mind?

The sequence to determine which notes are made (roughly speaking) works like this:

- match largest fingering with simple 'which keys are above threshold' comparison
- make a list of all valid subfingerings for this
- evaluate how well keyed each fingering is
- calculate an appropriate base note from the weightings of each target key offset using a weighted mean where each fingering masks the one below it depending upon how well keyed it is - fully keyed suppresses all subfingerings completely.

Once this base note is evaluated, the same process is applied to additions, which are then added to that note. If its all valid it goes out as a new output key. The modifiers are calculated separately as they drive a different input on the Scaler - it's one that is in time expected to vary by scale but is currently always a semitone (don't expect this to stay that way, it's a reasonable assumption for diatonic scales, but not for a pentatonic for example). There is a profound difference between modifiers and additions - one will end up being scale increments, the other something else entirely, depending on the scale definition in the future. I'd like to invite suggestions for this btw, for the scales that already exist.

After that the polyphonic notes are added as offsets of that final value. I have a vague feeling, now I'm writing this, that the modifier stream may not be shipped out with those poly notes, which would be a bug as the poly notes would go out of tune from the base note when it was used in that case as rhe scaler wouldn't know to apply it to them. Additions would still be fine, but I note that you (NothanUmber) don't seem to have used any of those in your fingerings (not sure why). I'll have a look and get back to you on that.

On the stuck notes thing, I'm interested if you keep getting trouble with this. That's one of the hairier parts of Fingerer (the creation and stopping of notes) and it's quite possible there's a bug in there, it wouldn't be the first one. I would say though that I had this effect a bit and it came from having a slightly blocked breath pipe (or seemed to) - when I cleared it it went away. This is why I added the 'breath threshold', to make that easier to deal with, although I'm not sure yet how good an idea that is. Please let me know if you can find a consistent way to reproduce this, and if possible if it is related to a mildy stuck breath pipe. Please feel free to use the bug reporter, if you're reasonably certain it is a bug..

John

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 11:23:57 +0000 GMT

Hi John,

the alternative 1&2 setups "work" atm. - although probably because of an uninteded interaction with my vst plugin :)
If I use the saw oscillator I get the effect you describe - a constant "drone" sound. But if I use an audio unit (Pianoteq) the base not is not audible, only the polyphonic offsets - then it sounds "right".

I realize that these setups most probably won't work anymore as soon as the fingerer cooperates with audio units as expected. For that an option to actually mute the base note would be very nice to allow setups like this where you essentially directly choose a playing range for the other keys, so the pattern keys work essentially as silent mode keys. This would allow for some "familiar" fingerings that don't require to learn a completely new technique - but with a wider range.

Another thing that would be nice is that setting the breath threshold to 0 means we can really play the keys without having to use breath at all (currently you still have to use breath to hear anything with threshold 0).

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:09:10 +0000 GMT

John... ia couple of things

- it may be desirable, at times, to have the polyphonic notes be made 'sticky' (eg: to hold a chord while playing a melody) could this be some kind of modifier? Perhaps it might be hels via a pressure or yaw threshold? One (little used) feature of the wx is a note hold, this would essentially be a chord hold and easy to use.

- it might be nice to add multiple offsets to polyphony notes so one could make chord buttons (and reduce the keys / fingers in play at any given time.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:13:42 +0000 GMT

NothanUmber

That's not a bad idea, I'll mull over how to do that. You're quite correct, the fact that it's doing what you want with Pianoteq is a probably the result of a bug, but it might well make an interesting way of using Fingerer. It's not one that ever occurred to me, but you're right it might make an easier transition for keyboard players and current Pico players that don't already play wind instruments.

The ability to create notes just from keying a fingering without breath used to be in Fingerer (its actually how it started out, before I added the breath input) and I've been mulling over how to put it back in. Overloading the breath pressure value by using zero is probably not such a good idea (that kind of thing usually bites back later and a starting value of 1 on a note can produce an unpleasant effect on occasion), but I'll try and figure something sensible out. It's a handy thing, especially when developing fingerings. The main thing is thinking of how to derive the pressure value, which is usually controlling something related to the volume of the note. This is simple with the polyphony additions as they are not fingerings, but not so simple with multiple keys used in a fingering, where the pressure is already meaningful in other expressive ways. I thought about using Yaw, but we already have plans for that in Fingerer, and roll is routinely used for pitchbend to allow for vibrato (and I for one have such embedded muscle memory from years of guitar playing I'm reluctant to lose that assignment). I think the best way is probably to allow a dedicated key to function as that 'activator' signal and use the pressure from that instead of the breath input.

John

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:25:31 +0000 GMT

Hi Mike

The multiple poly notes is quite possible and relatively straightforward providing one is happy not to have independent pressure control for each note. I'll see if I can get that in at some point, it's a nice idea with no downsides I can see.

The 'sticky chords' thing is rather more difficult and I'm not entirely sure that the Fingerer Agent would be the right place for that, I'll have a think and a chat with Jim about it. It would be quite fun for noodling about, making it easier to vamp along to yourself, although I suspect the same result could be gained using a pair of Fingerers and a sustain pedal with the added advantage one could have two separate sounds in play.

Great ideas thanks, keep 'em coming..

John

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:40:41 +0000 GMT

@Oberon: Have played a little bit with your electric sax layout (this is very interesting, would need some time to get used to - it's really a different instrument now).
As there are no thumb keys on the Pico I added these "pinkie modifiers" to get more range (removed the nonetheless non-working finger 24 to make this work):

modifier 1 = 1,4 * +12.0
modifier 2 = 2,4 * +24.0
modifier 3 = 2,8 * -12.0
modifier 4 = 1,8 * -24.0
modifier 5 = 1,4 2,4 * +36.0 ; the following modifiers are not working correctly!
modifier 6 = 1,8 2,8 * -36.0
modifier 7 = 1,4 2,8 * +48.0
modifier 8 = 2,4 1,8 * -48.0
modifier 9 = 1,4 2,4 1,8 2,8 * +60.0

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:37:57 +0000 GMT

@John, I understand your concerns with taking breath out of the equation in the case that the normal pattern keys produce a base note (as this would probably mean you'd have to introduce a latency for key combination detection).
At least in combination with the "silent pattern keys" it would be very nice (and probably no problem?) if breath could be ommitted as the sound is nonetheless only generated by the polyphonic keys - which can act as trigger then. This would allow for polyphonic, non-breath key-instrument oriented sounds (where having to use breath as activation may feel unnatural)

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:55:22 +0000 GMT

No, the issue isn't connected with latency, it just how to derive a useful outgoing pressure value - there's no problem with starting a note on a valid fingering, it's just how to create its pressure. The combined average pressure of the keys in the fingering isn't useful, as it means something quite different in this context (and I did try it but it was not good). There will be a way though, and its possible that using the polyphonic keys may provide a nice solution. I'm not really in favour of using the polyphonic additon keys for this as it seems to me that straightforward simple fingerings without those should still work in this situation. Food for thought though, somewhere in this nest of possibilities a nice solution lies.

John

written by: steveelbows

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:56:44 +0000 GMT

My experiments with the fingerer and the Pico won't involve the breath pipe, Im using the pressure of the last 4 keys on the Pico to drive 4 different fingerer agents. Or rather thats the plan, got delayed when trying this last night as I've been using workbench for less than a week, and it took me hours of messing around to discover how to isolate the pressure signal from a single specific key. There is some potential here, hope to have unlocked it within the next 8 hours or so.

Mind you even when I was using the fingerer as intended with the breath pipe, I have a problem with a stuck note, which is very hard to unstick. Not sure if this is the way I wired things up or because Im using the fingerer with midi output, but something weird seems to be happening.

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 14:10:16 +0000 GMT

@john... "a dedicated key" .... The top percussion key would be a potential assignment. It might also be nice to expand this into using the percussion keygroup to strum / fingerpick / arpegiate (with a recorder?) the notes selected via the poly keys and or the root plus poly.

Other interesting futures might be 'inversion' keys to move the root around in the chord

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 14:28:27 +0000 GMT

@Stehe Elbows: are you trying to connect the pressure output of your keyboard/keygroup(s) to the breath in of the fingerer(s)? Will be interesting whether you get this running, I didn't succeed in a first attempt (didn't hear anything).

Here another perhaps interesting preset to play with (it has a bug - starting from finger 63 or so the pitch is not increasing anymore - is there a maximum transpose factor hardcoded in the fingerer?
(No, my naming scheme is not overly creative - perhaps we'll come up with meaningful names for the presets that prove to be useful later on)

[alternative 3]
finger 1 = 1,1 * +1.0
finger 2 = 1,2 * +2.0
finger 3 = 1,3 * +3.0
finger 4 = 1,4 * +4.0
finger 5 = 2,1 * +5.0
finger 6 = 2,2 * +6.0
finger 7 = 2,3 * +7.0
finger 8 = 2,4 * +8.0
finger 9 = 1,5 * +9.0
finger 10 = 1,6 * +10.0
finger 11 = 1,7 * +11.0
finger 12 = 1,8 * +12.0
finger 13 = 1,9 * +13.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 14 = 2,5 * +13.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 15 = 2,6 * +14.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 16 = 2,7 * +15.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 17 = 2,8 * +16.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 18 = 2,9 * +17.0 ; alternative fingering

finger 19 = 1,1 1,2 * +13.0
finger 20 = 1,2 1,3 * +14.0
finger 21 = 1,3 1,4 * +15.0
finger 22 = 1,4 2,1 * +16.0
finger 23 = 2,1 2,2 * +17.0
finger 24 = 2,2 2,3 * +18.0
finger 25 = 2,3 2,4 * +19.0
finger 26 = 2,4 1,5 * +20.0
finger 27 = 1,5 1,6 * +21.0
finger 28 = 1,6 1,7 * +22.0
finger 29 = 1,7 1,8 * +23.0
finger 30 = 1,8 1,9 * +24.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 31 = 1,8 2,5 * +24.0
finger 32 = 2,5 2,6 * +25.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 33 = 2,6 2,7 * +26.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 34 = 2,7 2,8 * +27.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 35 = 2,8 2,9 * +28.0 ; alternative fingering

finger 36 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 * +25.0
finger 37 = 1,2 1,3 1,4 * +26.0
finger 38 = 1,3 1,4 2,1 * +27.0
finger 39 = 1,4 2,1 2,2 * +28.0
finger 40 = 2,1 2,2 2,3 * +29.0
finger 41 = 2,2 2,3 2,4 * +30.0
finger 42 = 2,3 2,4 1,5 * +31.0
finger 43 = 2,4 1,5 1,6 * +32.0
finger 44 = 1,5 1,6 1,7 * +33.0
finger 45 = 1,6 1,7 1,8 * +34.0
finger 46 = 1,7 1,8 1,9 * +35.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 47 = 1,7 1,8 2,5 * +35.0
finger 48 = 1,8 1,9 2,5 * +36.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 49 = 1,8 2,5 2,6 * +36.0
finger 50 = 1,9 2,5 2,6 * +37.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 51 = 2,5 2,6 2,7 * +37.0
finger 52 = 2,6 2,7 2,8 * +38.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 53 = 2,7 2,8 2,9 * +39.0 ; alternative fingering

finger 54 = 1,1 1,2 1,3 1,4 * +37.0
finger 55 = 1,2 1,3 1,4 2,1 * +38.0
finger 56 = 1,3 1,4 2,1 2,2 * +39.0
finger 57 = 1,4 2,1 2,2 2,3 * +40.0
finger 58 = 2,1 2,2 2,3 2,4 * +41.0
finger 59 = 2,2 2,3 2,4 1,5 * +42.0
finger 60 = 2,3 2,4 1,5 1,6 * +43.0
finger 61 = 2,4 1,5 1,6 1,7 * +44.0
finger 62 = 1,5 1,6 1,7 1,8 * +45.0
finger 63 = 1,6 1,7 1,8 1,9 * +46.0 ; alternative fingering - not working from here
finger 64 = 1,6 1,7 1,8 2,5 * +46.0
finger 65 = 1,7 1,8 1,9 2,5 * +47.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 66 = 1,7 1,8 2,5 2,6 * +47.0
finger 67 = 1,8 1,9 2,5 2,6 * +48.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 68 = 1,8 2,5 2,6 2,7 * +48.0
finger 69 = 1,9 2,5 2,6 2,7 * +49.0 ; alternative fingering
finger 70 = 2,5 2,6 2,7 2,8 * +49.0
finger 71 = 2,6 2,7 2,8 2,9 * +50.0

written by: steveelbows

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:03:04 +0000 GMT

@NothanUmber yes thats exactly what Im doing, and I did get it to work last night by about 2am. Im doing pretty much what Mike Milton says, only obviously I don't have dedicated percussion keys on the Pico.

Anyway I had no trouble getting sources other than the breath pipe to work. Before I learnt how to isolate the pressure from a single specific key (using a filter on the input) I was using the yaw of any key to do the 'breath-equivalent triggering' of the fingerer, and it worked straight away.

All I need to do now is add more fingerer agents linked to different 'fingerer trigger' keys,so I can get a wild number of possible combinations from the relatively few keys of the Pico. Im probably going to use this in a way that lets me 'strum' quite a large number of different chords, turning the Pico into a sort of guitar.

written by: carvingCode

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:08:22 +0000 GMT

Would it be possible to include a selectable list of "standard" fingerlings, e.g.: Boehm, much like the selectable list of scales? A "user_fingerings.txt" could be modified for anything outside the standard.

Please log in to join the discussions