Forum rss-feed

Forum

Developers: Illuminator Feedback

Most Recent

written by: dhjdhj

I loved 0beron's idea so much that I created Max objects to perform similar functionality.

More here.

written by: stbohne

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 21:12:53 +0000 GMT

I just had a go with the new illuminator agent and a few things occurred to me that I wanted to share.

"How can I make the tonics green as they were in 2.0.36?" or the like is probably something everyone who is trying the new factory setups and the illuminator is asking themselves. After reading the wiki I think this is not the purpose of this agent. This should be made more obvious.

I don't really see a *practical* difference between musical layout and physical layout - at least for this agent. For the physical and musical lights to be different you would actually have to change the order of the keys inside course or the ordering of the courses. Sure, in this case, physical lights stay where they are and musical lights move with there respective key. But that's a quite big change of a setup. Changing the position of your tonics (when you change scale for example) on the other hand is something that can happen quite frequently - and something that I feel deserves the wording 'musical' more.

When using choose mode, it would be really helpful to show the currently active lights. At the moment the keyboard goes dark when choosing lights. Counting keys is not fun and it's easy to make mistakes. The currently active lights would help a lot to pick the correct keys.

You got geometry wrong. I noticed this during the devcon as well. Internally rows are along the long axis and columns are along the short axis. But when talking to the other attendees we always referred to the keys the other way around. I think this comes from when you hold the instrument the long axis is vertical, so people call it column, and the short is horizontal, ergo row. But when you developed it you probably put it on a table in front of you. There the short axis is vertical and the long is horizontal.
Anyway, what I want to say is, you shouldn't fight human nature. People intuitively think of columns as downwards. If I am wrong, people, please say so. Otherwise, Eigenlabs, please adjust your manuals and belcanto accordingly.
My 4ct

Stefan

written by: geert

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:14:31 +0000 GMT

Hi Stefan,

A quick reply about the tonics, there's a light output on the scaler agent now, if you connect that to the light input of a keygroup output you will get tonic lights. This will be made configurable in a future release for other intervals and colours.

I've been torn about the choose mode showing the current lights or not, in the keygroup choose mode it shows the current keys as orange and the newly selected keys as green. However, with colour choosing in the illuminator, you can't really use that since all colours can be active or being chosen. Not being able to see what's new and what's old is just as frustrating (if not more) as only seeing the new. We didn't have time to experiment, but I have several ideas that might work, but they'll have to wait for a future release.

About the rows and columns, I guess that really depends on how you hold the instruments. There are so many different ways to hold them that one orientation will be natural for someone and strange to someone else. Anyone that uses the Tau or Alpha with their straps will find the current row and column orientation natural, anyone that rests them against their shoulder and looks down along the length of the instrument probably not. Anyone that plays the pico with the thumb hooks will find it strange also, however when it's lying flat down parallel to you, it's correct. So there's not really a right and a wrong.

Take care,

Geert

written by: 0beron

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:18:22 +0000 GMT

Hi Stefan, I've mentioned the row vs. column thing before, and I agree with you that columns should be the long axis! +1 from me.

written by: MarkPowell

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:26:32 +0000 GMT

Another +1 from me on the row/column issue.

written by: NothanUmber

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:43:07 +0000 GMT

+1, the row/column thing also confused me in the notation discussion. Most people will hold the instrument in a way that courses are columns - although the opposite is also thinkable - so perhaps it would be better to speak of "short key line" and "long key line"? (Should work as long as there are no n*n sized keyboards ;) )

written by: carvingCode

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:14:34 +0000 GMT

Sorry for the question: Where do I place the Illuminator agent? Input goes to what and output goes to what?

I really liked the lit up tonics in v2.34e - quite helpful. I'd like to turn those back on. Has anyone figured out how to do that in v2.38e?

TIA

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:25:15 +0000 GMT

The tonic lights come from the scaler agent - in workbench you can wire the scaler's light output back to the keygroup's light input and the tonics will light green again.

The illuminator agent works the same way - hook up its light output to the keygroup's light input (or diretly to the keyboard agent). It won't do anything until you set the keymap, which is described on the wiki : http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Illuminator/

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 18:59:41 +0000 GMT

I was looking for a way to add the tonic lights to the Factory setups. Scalers are inside Rigs. Looking at 'Audio Unit Rig 1', I don't see a 'light input' in its gateway. I tried connecting the 'light output' to the gateway's main input, but it would not connect up. So, wondering how to accomplish this?

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:25:07 +0000 GMT

I think you can add ins and outs to the gateways - expand the rig gateway and on the far right of the section called 'inputs' there will be a (very small!) button that you can click to add a new input. If you create an input inside the rig, it will appear as an output on the outside, and vice-versa, so you need to make a path out of the rig (so an input inside, and an output outside) and connect the scaler's light output to the rig gateway, then outside the rig connect the new output to the light input on a keygroup.

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:51:52 +0000 GMT

OK, Oberon. I will give that a go. Thanks.

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 17 Mar 2012 20:45:08 +0000 GMT

FWIW, the rig gateways in the alpha factory 1 have the light in/out and it is connected internally.

You need to connect it (externally) to the light output in the matching section of the keygroup (eg: audio unit 1 rig ---> audio unit 1 light output

The destination is well burried

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:44:50 +0000 GMT

Ah.. unless I am mistaken, the new Pico setup does not have the internal light connection. I checked the Tau and it does. I fooled around a bit trying to figure out where to connect things in Tau, but didn't get anywhere yet.

written by: whitetree

Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:18:11 +0000 GMT

Can someone make a video of what you can do with this new module? Being able to control the lights is one of the things I am most interested in on the Eigenharp... that said, I am still eons away from affording one

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:45:36 +0000 GMT

Illuminator Demo

written by: whitetree

Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:09:38 +0000 GMT

wow that was quick! thanks, it is exactly the feature i am looking for

written by: NothanUmber

Sat, 28 Apr 2012 17:07:04 +0100 BST

latest change in EigenD repository: "Renamed rows to columns and columns to rows. "

Thanks in the name of all instrument-vertical-holders! :)

written by: GoneCaving

Sun, 29 Apr 2012 12:01:49 +0100 BST

Spotted that one too :-) It's a nice example of why the early access to, and feedback during, the experimental releases is worthwhile.

D

Tue, 15 May 2012 10:19:06 +0100 BST

My latest setups I've playing with in EigenD 2.0.48 have an illuminator attached to main keygroup. I was using them as movable markers to help remember a few songs, and got fed up of typing in the eigencommander to set the lights all the time. I've now put 4 keys on the percussion row (red, orange green, and another red one for 'erase'). The first three act as 'paint wells' and each fire the choose command for the illuminator. You can then draw coloured lights on your keyboard in any position and tap the last one twice, then the lights persist (and get saved in the setup too) until you wipe them with the erase key. If anyone is interested I'll tack this onto the factory setups for Alpha and possibly Pico and make them available.

written by: dhjdhj

Tue, 15 May 2012 11:21:25 +0100 BST

Clever idea

written by: keyman

Tue, 15 May 2012 14:56:09 +0100 BST

Would be awesome, to see some screenshots!!
Thumbs up for this good idea!

Still havent got time to "dive" into Illuminator on my own...

Please log in to join the discussions