Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: EigenD 2.0.38 is released

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

No hurry, I just wanted to be sure you folk knew.

written by: geert

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:53:39 +0000 GMT

Hi everyone,

EigenD 2.0.38 has been released

This release contain an initial collection of factory setups but due to their novelty, it is not advised for use in any rehearsal or live situations.

Because this is an experimental release, please be aware that setups created with this release may not be usable in subsequent releases. This will remain the case until the 2.0 series enters the testing phase.

This release introduces an experimental first version of the new Fingerer agent which allows groups of keys to be fingered in monophonic fashion, in the same way as valved instruments. It also provides interesting additions that still allow for polyphonic playing. We invite everyone to try out its current features and behaviour to help us fine-tune the final functionalities. The Fingerer documentation can be found on the wiki: http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Fingerer/

The Illuminator agent is also new in this release and provides an easy way to set up lighting patterns on the Eigenharp keyboards. Its documentation can also be found on the wiki: http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Illuminator/

Changes and Improvements

EigenD

• Fully functioning factory setups are now included for Alpha, Tau and Pico
  • Example modular synth setups for Alpha, Tau and Pico
  • New Fingerer agent
  • New Illuminator agent
  • Keygroup outputs can now be individually enabled or toggled through Belcanto
  • Alpha and Tau debouncing system is now configurable
  • The note player has been extracted from the Recorder agent into a new Player agent
  • Improvements to Recorder agent auxiliary port name linking
  • Added a fixed Controller Input to the Recorder agent
  • Port cleanups and naming improvements to Ranger, Shaper, Arranger, Audio, Stringer agents
  • Controller agent now automatically discovers its feedback input
  • Generic dialog handler for Return and Escape keys
  • Alpha, Tau and Pico startup behaviour is more efficient
  • Added a modifier input to the scaler which is acting as a fixed range pitch bend, currently used by the Fingerer agent
  • Added support for strip controllers to prototype OSC Output agent
  • EigenBrowser could sometimes fail to display its data

Workbench

• More consistent naming of channels and filters
  • GUI layout improvements
  • Increased the maximum dimensions of the Workbench window

Stage

• The widget increments are now useful by default

The full release notes, including the list of fixed bugs can be found
    here

Have fun!

Geert

written by: MarkPowell

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:38:04 +0000 GMT

Just in time for the weekend! Thanks Geert.

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:03:48 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the exceptional push to get this out for us all. Greatly appreciated

written by: NothanUmber

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:49:06 +0000 GMT

Juhu, looking forward to some Pico fingerer layout twisting - now!

written by: keyman

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 21:37:15 +0000 GMT

Lovely Fridays, most of the times on Friday!!

Keep up the good work! Thanks !! ;-)

written by: NothanUmber

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 21:47:38 +0000 GMT

Cool, seems to work! (One hint for testers: At least for me instead of connecting the pressure output of the fingerer to the pressure input of the scaler Workbench automatically connects the pressure input (passthrough) to the pressure input of the scaler. If you manually fix that it works).
Back to experimenting with fingerer configs...

written by: dhjdhj

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:03:58 +0000 GMT

I just tried to install it on my Mac and was told that it can't be installed....I have to first install the EigenD Support package. But I already have 1.4 on this machine, and it's working just fine, so what am I missing?

Also, when I do get this installed, will it use a new location for settings so that my 1.4 settings don't get lost?

Thanks,
D

written by: geert

Wed, 21 Mar 2012 15:08:51 +0000 GMT

Hi dhjdhj,

I seem to remember that at one time you moved the EigenD resources elsewhere and used symlinks. Is this the machine on which you did that? The installer checks for known file locations, which might not resolve in that case.

You can install every EigenD release safely, all settings and setups are isolated for each release.

Take care,

Geert

written by: dhjdhj

Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:35:00 +0000 GMT

Geert, this is scary, you're remembering my system better than I am!!!

I definitely did create symbolic links for /usr/pi on this machine.

Someone sent me a new build which I will try out and see if it works.

Thanks for letting me know about the settings. I remember that newer installations seem to have access to the old settings so I assume from your comment that the installer is actually making a copy rather than using the existing settings (and possibly changing them)

Cheers,
D

written by: MattWalton

Fri, 23 Mar 2012 07:58:27 +0000 GMT

This is all very exciting. I got my EigenD Pro subscription and installed 2.0.38 and Workbench. I'm a bit lost though - quite apart from the crashing (which is expected at this stage), I don't have any real idea how to wire a fingering agent into, say, the clarinet rig.

I've made a few attempts, and the best I get is some apparently random keymapping (it seems to be trying to be a fingering agent, but it doesn't respond in any way I can see as sane based on the fingering definitions). Then shortly afterwards something breaks because the Eigenharp goes dark and I have to start again.

Very much looking forward to a more stable release!

But what would be really nice is some more information here. Or a supplied Pico setup with a fully-working fingered clarinet and/or anything else in it.

In case you're interested in what I did wrong, I took clarinet rig 1, removed stringer 1 and hooked those inputs up directly to the recorder, then put the fingering agent between the recorder and the scaler. Which, come to think of it, is probably the wrong way round.

And I'm probably asking for trouble by running it all on Windows 8 beta, too. EigenD 1.4 appears quite solid on here though, which is nice.

written by: john

Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:25:04 +0000 GMT

Hi Matt

1.0.38 was the first release with Fingerer in and it should definitely be considered experimental as yet. I already have quite a bit of food for thought - Ferdinand and Steve in particular have tortured it quite effectively, and Robin's new fingerings will probably make their way into the Factory set shortly. We will probably add a setup using it at some point, but there is some work to do as yet before that'll be appropriate. At the moment Fingerer will behave quite strangely when wired post recorders as it does not yet support channels (a new concept in 2.X) which are now used by the recorders to distinguish takes as it plays back. Channel support is in progress.

There are also now a number (well, mainly the stuck notes thing) of known bugs in Fingerer which thanks to you chaps out there we are now aware of. On that note, could you possibly try and get your crash to happen again, then use the bug reporter immediately after to send a bug report? The information we receive there can be very useful and it would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of 2.0 bug fixing going on here at the moment - quite a few stability improvements have gone in this week and I think the worst of the Workbench related crashes are getting flushed out. We won't make a release this week (Messe is on in Frankfurt and Neil and Geert are over there on the Steinberg stand today, so we're short handed) but there's a good chance of one next week, we'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, a setup that looks like Ferdinand's will give you reasonable results I think. You can see a screenshot of it here. Have fun..

John

Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:37:08 +0000 GMT

Thanks John, I'll have a go at getting the crash to happen again and sending you a report.

I was wondering if the recorder was messing things about, and ultimately figured well why not just remove it for the time being. That broke a load of other things, so... I'll have a look at Ferdinand's setup and remind myself that I know what it's like to have users playing around with previews of my software.

Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:54:04 +0000 GMT

The screenshot was very helpful - I now have a functional fingered clarinet setup, although in grey fingering the flatten modifier key listed in the factory fingering file on the wiki is either missing or doesn't work. Everything else seems to be there though, I just need to learn how to play it now...

written by: ecompositor

Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:39:30 +0100 BST

The screenshot was helpful. I was ready to put my eigenharp pico on the market as Im an EWI player and play a lot of jazz.

I will take a stab at getting this to work when I get back from vacation and try to create a file for Akai ewi fingering

To have the sense memory of my ewi with the responsive control of the eigenharp will be fine.

Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:56:38 +0100 BST

(actually .40)

I don't know if this is a bug or something just not available yet but the headphone gain on the Alpha keyboard agent is not editable. Specifically, it is set at 70 and selecting the number or clicking +- does not change it

The nudger in advanced headphones control in the factory Alpha 1 does work

written by: alistair

Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:30:21 +0100 BST

Hi Mike, Yes it is a bug - and its already on my (long) list. At the moment, if something is connected to a controller so that it can be adjusted via a key on the keyboard, the value can't be edited in workbench. I'll try to get that one fixed soon - you should be able to change the value in both ways.

Alistair

Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:45:42 +0100 BST

No hurry, I just wanted to be sure you folk knew.

Please log in to join the discussions