Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Selection VST from OSC or MIDI

Most Recent

written by: 0beron

Reading the keygroup docs, what I think would be more useful is something like

keygroup 1 hey keygroup output 3 choose

Since that deselects everything first. Using enable set lets you enable several outputs one after another, so if you just used this there would be no way to deactivate them with your midi pedals and you'd end up with all the outputs sounding at once after a while.

written by: fcolasanto

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:32:00 +0000 GMT

Hi there,

One question: it's possible to select VST 1 or VST 2 or VST 3 from MIDI or OSC ?.
Now I'm using Max to change the programs in my OmniSphere via a pedalboard, but I have Omnispehere in VST 1 and Trillian in VST 2 and I would like to select one VST or the other using the pedal.

Thanks a lot

Francisco

written by: NothanUmber

Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:56:59 +0000 GMT

Hm, don't think this currently works out of the box without modifying the source code.
It should be possible to reconfigure the mixer via OSC messages though. So if you have loaded different VSTs into two audio units you could blend from one to the other that way. Both would have to reside in RAM simultaneously in that case - probably nonetheless a good idea if you want to use that in a live situation.

written by: keyman

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:24:18 +0000 GMT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you want is:
- while playing, change between AU1 to AU2... or even to Sampler 1 or Clarinet for example?!? from MIDI (pedalboard) or OSC

- while playing, change between AU1 to AU2 with Switch pedal 1 or 2?!? ( on the Basestation)

written by: MarkPowell

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 07:39:51 +0000 GMT

Hi All,
I'd be interested in how to do this as well. In the case of Keyman's examples, I'd like to be able to do the first. I've got a Monome clone that I built and is currently kicking around doing nothing in my setup. It'd be nice if I could use the 64 buttons to trigger different actions within EigenD. I'd like to be able to swap between the different instruments (AU1, AU2, ... Sampler 1, etc.) and also to change scales. If there were OSC or MIDI messages that could do this I could throw together a quick Max patch to translate Monome button presses to the EigenD messages and then light the correct button on the Monome to indicate the currently selected instrument, scale, etc.

written by: john

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:47:15 +0000 GMT

This is now possible in 2.0. The Keygroup agent now includes Belcanto support to allow the toggling of individual outputs on and off, so you can use Talkers to change your active instruments downstream. This feature is not yet described in the reference but Geert is going to try and add it later today - if you look in the 2.0 Keygroup page tomorrow you should see it there.

Using this ability, you can fire the Talker from a MIDI input and use that to switch Keygroup routing on the fly.

The prototype OSC Agent does not yet have an input (any volunteers to have a go at that out there?), so you're limited to MIDI for this at the moment.

The keygroup also now includes a Port that can be used to drive or source the active output selection, so one can slave keygroups together to route multiple sources together with one selection driving others. This is used in the new Factory setups that are due out, so you'll be able to see it in action.

We'll try and remember to include a section on this in a future Keygroup tutorial. It's obviously something that would prove useful.

John

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 10:52:14 +0000 GMT

I remember trying to do this in 1.4 using talkers (not from a pedalboard, I wanted to use the percussion keys instead but once you have a talker it'll work from a MIDI pedalboard). As I remember you could say 'kgroup X output Y set' and that would switch on that kgroup output, but wouldn't switch _off_ the one you had before, you had to 'un set' that output and there was noway to work out which one to turn off. This means you'd have to switch them all off, or remember which one was on last time etc, which then wouldn't work alongside the kgroup's own output selection.

The 2.0 mechanism sounds nicer so I'll give this another look in 2.0

written by: fcolasanto

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:35:10 +0000 GMT

Many thanks to everybody. I will try with 2.0

best

Francisco

written by: geert

Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:14:01 +0000 GMT

Hi Francisco,

The Keygroup documentation has been updated: http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Keygroups/

Look at the "Enabling a Keygroup Output" section to enable a keygroup output from Belcanto.

You can use this to create a Talker with a phrase like:

keygroup 1 hey keygroup output 3 enable set

This Talker would then be connected to a Midi Input agent Key Output port;

The Midi Input sends out key data as if there was a single long course with a key for each MIDI note (like a piano keyboard, really). So if you want to have the talker trigger at MIDI notes 16 for instance, you'll have to set the talker key to row 1 and column 16.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Sun, 18 Mar 2012 16:58:10 +0000 GMT

Reading the keygroup docs, what I think would be more useful is something like

keygroup 1 hey keygroup output 3 choose

Since that deselects everything first. Using enable set lets you enable several outputs one after another, so if you just used this there would be no way to deactivate them with your midi pedals and you'd end up with all the outputs sounding at once after a while.

Please log in to join the discussions