Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Wind-controller player seeking advice - Pico now or save for Tau?

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

Martin - See here:

http://www.eigenlabs.com/forum/threads/id/941/

written by: martinthompson

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:46:36 +0000 GMT

I'm currently a wind-controller player: I currently play various wind-instrument emulations, and bass string/guitar patches (bass guitar really doesn't suit a wind-controller - no time for breathing :)

I have also been (mentally) designing a new controller for about a decade. Then the eigenharp comes along and seems to fulfil everything I need - I like the idea of a "chromatic&orthogonal keyboard" (never got on with pianos, guitars made sense except for the top E string), and the programmability will suit me just fine.

So, I think an Eigenharp will suit me, but can't be sure. I thought I'd start off with a Pico, but the number of keys seems very limiting. I was hoping I could treat it as a "small Tau" and get the hang of things before committing to the expense of a Tau. But I wonder if actually it's not really a migratable skill (certainly fingering-wise, which is the bit which concerns me most. If I learn to play the Pico, it will have to be with a "scale" keymap, rather than chromatic, which would be my (perceived) way to play a Tau. Would I be wasting my time with a Pico, should I just save up longer?

Thanks!

Martin

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:52:36 +0000 GMT

Depending on layout, technique transfers between Tau and Alpha.
But the Pico is really a different instrument. (Only the keys are the same, so you can take over the "feel" for them accross all Eigenharps).
If you want to play chromatic (mostly monophonic) lines with a Pico, wait for the Fingerer agent that is currently work in progress for EigenD 2. This will basically allow you to combine different keys to achieve a bigger range of notes - comparable to a wind-controller where you can combine holes.
Having a notebook, a Pico and (in the interest of your fellow environment) headphones can be a nice opportunity to have fun and relax in trains, hotels, at home while people watch semi-fascinating things in TV etc. :)

If you mainly want a "chromatic&orthogonal keyboard" (played polyphonically over a decent range) go with the Tau straight away, this is not the Pico's domain. (With the normal layout the Tau has ~2,5 octaves in chromatic layout. With alternative layouts (which are in some cases loosely related to the standard layout regarding fingering but nonetheless have to be specifically trained) you can extend this up to 5 chromatic octaves + an extra bass octave if you remap the drum keys)

written by: mikemilton

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:05:30 +0000 GMT

Are we twins?

I spent a long time struggling with keyboards and then settled on a WX7, later replaced by a WX5. When the Pico became available I bought one and now also own an alpha. For the WX's I use a VL1m, VL70 and a few soft synths. I also ventured into guitar (Dobro and Lap Steel)

So...

1) I'd echo everything NorthernUmber said above and add a few things

- the pico is quite a natural thing to shift to from a WX or EWI. I missed the lip sensor on the WX (I always played 'tight-lip' setting) an EWI player would find the shift even more natural. The Alpha/Tau is suitable plus adding greater scope but they are large instruments with base stations (I have and would recommend one of the longer cables). People have made 'gig-rigs' for them much like is done with wind instruments

-- being polyphonic is quite an advantage but not a good fit with many wind-optimized sounds (and, of course, the VLs are not poly). Wind soft synths are mostly amenable to tweaking.

- We just had a preview of a new fingering agent (yesterday) that will be available in the next experimental release (imminent) This will provide similar capability to a WX (or EWI or tin whistle, or anything you like - it is configureable) with some really interesting extensions for polyphony. I'm sure someone will post the link to the recording of the preview when it is available. I'm very excited about this.

There are a few reasons to struggle with a keyboard.

-One is a physical thing (my left hand is not up to it and isn't going to get there with practice, for example). The pico is not physically challenging at all (much like a WX/EWI). As to the others, even I am doing quite nicely (IMHO hehehe) with the Alpha. I would suggest that the Alpha/Tau adds a great deal of scope to a player who can master keyboard and brings otherwise challenging things into the reach of those of us who struggle with keyboards physically.

Another way one might find keyboards a challenge is one of mindset. Wind, instruments are primarily melodic, for example. Personally, I ended up down the melodic path by default. The eigenharps are an an amazing step forward on that path and provide a wonderful playing experience and expressive result. That said, they have also brought me full circle into a return to chordal thought and expression. The ability to use scales was part of this (both as an enabler and as something that causes one to explore music generally) but the keys were another, complementary, part as the chord shapes are more movable (like guitar) and an easier reach. I anticipate that the fingerer agent will add a whole new dimension to this as it matures.

Ok, well, I'll stop there having been too long already

HTH, Mike

written by: mikemilton

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:16:41 +0000 GMT

Here is a link to the fingering preview (and other things)

Eigenharp Clubhouse 25

You could certainly consider joining us at a future clubhouse

written by: 0beron

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:55:53 +0000 GMT

I play WX5, and went straight for the Alpha for the same reasons as above. To play chromatically and use the orthogonal layouts to their best you need as many keys as possible. The Tau is great for that, but I find myself using the 5th course on my Alpha a lot.

I've since bought a Pico (primarily to test code without having to fire up the Alpha and carry it around), but the wind fingering software that seems to be just around the corner looks exciting, so the Pico may get much more use after that.

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:00:13 +0000 GMT

Reading the OP's post, I think he's pretty much summed up and arrived at a correct conclusion for himself. The Pico is limited. The Tau is a more complete instrument. I've used the analogy before about the difference between a small little blues harmonica and a large, fully chromatic model. Lots of music can be played on both, but the range of the larger model opens it up to many more possibilities.

I thoroughly enjoy playing my Tau. My Pico sat idle for months. I use the Pico now when I'm auditioning patches, or only needing to play a simple melody or harmony.

As an aside, I'd like to see Eigenlabs come out with a model in between the Pico and the Tau that is simply a MIDI controller. Leave off the breath control and the strip control. Leave off the lower percussion keys. Leave off the internal looper and sequencer. Design it with it's current set of keys and create a setup for 4 MIDI outs. Price it at about $1200 US. That would be an awesome addition.

Good luck with your decision. But, get a Tau.

Randy

written by: steveelbows

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:47:17 +0000 GMT

Personally I would base my decision largely on how long it will take to save up for the Tau. If its going to be a long wait, then I wouldn't think long before getting the Pico now. Its much better than nothing and although using it will probably create greater yearning for something with more keys, its still rather handy in its own right, especially once that fingering stuff is available. The glorious sensitivity of the keys is still something to behold even when there aren't enough of them.

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:29:26 +0000 GMT

>>
The glorious sensitivity of the keys is still something to behold even when there aren't enough of them.
<<

So true!

written by: martinthompson

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:01:10 +0000 GMT

Thanks all, that's a brilliant set of responses... I'll see how the finances pan out over the next couple of months, and hopefully be joining you in Eigen-land soon!

Cheers,
Martin

Wed, 21 Mar 2012 18:21:20 +0000 GMT

Martin - See here:

http://www.eigenlabs.com/forum/threads/id/941/

Please log in to join the discussions