Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: Glockenspeil

Most Recent

written by: Zygurt

So after a while longer than I was hoping for, I put the soundfonts together today. 1 with soft/rubber mallets and 1 with hard mallets. I'm hoping that the complete lack of stereo sound and the fuzziness is due to viena, which is the program I used to put the soundfont together.

The problems that I'm facing are as follows:
Sound is not clear like the original samples (this could be due to using 96kHz 24 bit samples for the soundfont, which were then truncated to 44.1 16, although they are still in tune.)

Loss of stereo field, but the samples do not playback in mono, they are off to the left slightly

The release of the sound is tied to the taking of the finger off the key, which isn't exactly the way that a glockenspiel works and I have had this problem before.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:26:43 +0000 GMT

I'm about to do some test recordings for a job tomorrow by 'sampling' my glockenspiel with 2 AKG C414's in MS. I'll try turning it into a soundfont, but I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in using the files to create one, should what I make not work properly. Of course, if it works properly, I'll find somewhere to host it so you can all have a play.

Thought about XY and ORTF, but MS will give mono compatibility.

-Tim R

written by: john

Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:56:34 +0000 GMT

With a pair of 414's, spaced omini's will also give good results on a glockenspiel and generally degrade reasonably well to mono (though not as neutrally as M/S) - you can get some phasey effects but I've not experienced them to be too bad if the spacing is kept reasonably small. They can give you a better sense of 'stereo space' than M/S delivers. Hitting the 'mono' button on your monitoring while setting them up a lot is usually the trick.

It'd be great to see that as a soundfont if you have the time.

John

Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:28:53 +0000 GMT

So after a while longer than I was hoping for, I put the soundfonts together today. 1 with soft/rubber mallets and 1 with hard mallets. I'm hoping that the complete lack of stereo sound and the fuzziness is due to viena, which is the program I used to put the soundfont together.

The problems that I'm facing are as follows:
Sound is not clear like the original samples (this could be due to using 96kHz 24 bit samples for the soundfont, which were then truncated to 44.1 16, although they are still in tune.)

Loss of stereo field, but the samples do not playback in mono, they are off to the left slightly

The release of the sound is tied to the taking of the finger off the key, which isn't exactly the way that a glockenspiel works and I have had this problem before.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Please log in to join the discussions