Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: Spicy Guitar crashes EigenD

Most Recent

written by: john

@snoltan - AU's and VST's run in the same process as EigenD which means that if they crash then it always crashes EigenD and appears as such (and depending on the problem it might even cause EigenD to crash at some random later time too as an errant AU can break all sorts of things). We, as an AU or VST host, don't get any say in this matter, any bad behaviour by one can bring down EigenD and there is little we can do about it. Technically the onus is on the AU author to write their program to behave well and there is no protection for the host program (EigenD in this case) if they do not.

There are a lot of less well written AU's out there (which is to be expected really, especially in the non-commercial free ones) and there is sadly a limit as to what we can do about that. We haven't actually seen a situation for some time in which we've made a hosting error. This is not to say that that isn't possible, it's just that the interface isn't really that complicated and we got most of the bugs out several years ago. In the last year every problem we've had reported has turned out to be an issue with the AU or VST rather than EigenD.

EigenD does represent a mildly different runtime environment for AU/VST's than many DAW's. Not in any sense that it obeys different standards but it does use threads in a different way to say Logic, which can tickle bugs in peoples AU's. We have seen just this in a number of different situations in the last couple of years. As far as you're concerned this is of course irrelevant, it's just broken and that's annoying, but it does mean that there are limits as to what we can do to fix it. And it's worth bearing in mind that quite justifiably many AU/VST authors don't test their products against EigenD, they just pick one or maybe two major DAW's and use those.

I'd love to be able to host AU's in a nicely sandboxed, robust way that meant EigenD didn't crash when they do. Unfortunately the performance hit you'd have to take to enable that is huge, and until computers get a whole load faster, it's just not practical.

John

written by: snoitan

Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:35:39 +0000 GMT

I recently downloaded the Spicy Guitar plug in as my first attempt to install a non-soundfont sound and it has crashed the EigenD software on multiple occasions. It sounds great when it works and I really would like some great sounding guitar.

Anyone else tried this one? I'm running Lion on a MacBook Air. Haven't tried configuring it on my Windows machine yet.

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 9 Feb 2012 16:42:19 +0000 GMT

I downloaded it for a try and can't even get it to load.

written by: EdisonRex

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:23:48 +0000 GMT

I downloaded and installed this just now, loaded factory alpha 3 in 1.4-11-stable and browser presented me with two choices, "Spicy Guitar" and "SpicyGuitar". My experience is the first choice is usually an AU. It loaded fine and I am playing with it. I haven't tried to load it into one of my user setups, mainly because the last user setup I saved (fresh as of this week) sent EigenD into about 180% kernel CPU and never got past "Preparing"... sigh. But it did load into factory setup 3 in stable.

Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:36:38 +0000 GMT

oh forgot to say Snow Leopard - no Lion on this machine and not likely for a while.

Sat, 11 Feb 2012 17:12:19 +0000 GMT

i did get it to load within my latest performance patch, it worked for a while, but got quite flakey - oversensitive to chords, bends, etc, then hung up EigenD (beach ball). This after a couple of hours though. Too bad, it looks like a promising piece of software.

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 02:10:55 +0000 GMT

Yeah, it looks like it would be really nice and I'd love an AU acoustic sound. It takes a bit of setup to change some stuff like bend changing the string type, but after that, it was nice.

But I can't play for more than a few minutes between crashes. Maybe they'll put out an update to it.

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:28:30 +0000 GMT

Other possibilities in this area include:

AAS string studio - modeled string instruments, lots of variety, ability to program your own, no strumming

AAS strum acoustic - similar to above, but support for strumming, fingerpicking, etc

Orange Tree Evolution Acoustic Guitar - Steel Strings - sampled (largish footprint) supports strumming, fingerpicking, etc. (OT have other interesting libraries as well)

I have the 3 above and they work well in EigenD. I use string studio the most but that is simply because it has a broader scope of sounds and strumming is not a big part of what I do. From what I can tell, the reviews favour OT and I would likely agree if I only wanted guitar

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:47:58 +0000 GMT

Here's Geert playing 'Wish You Were Here' using the OT sample set, in case you haven't heard it before. It's a very good sample set for the acoustic guitar. I think physically modeled guitars are the future, but they've got a little way to go yet before they are as good as that.

written by: geert

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:34:16 +0000 GMT

This is really weird, since Spicy Guitar works just fine for me, the AudioUnit at least does. Did you guys launch the standalone Spicy Guitar application before using the plugin? This is almost always needed with plugins that also have a standalone counterpart, that initial standalone application launch often sets up stuff that the installer didn't.

written by: geert

Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:45:08 +0000 GMT

Something you also might want to try is to ensure that the MIDI data sent to the plugin is decimated in the global settings of the Routing Matrix (http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.4/Routing_Matrix/).

I've seen other plugins crash due to the high data throughput from EigenD to plugins when no decimation is active.

Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:06:50 +0000 GMT

It's a good point, Geert. Makes it more stable. i'll play more with it.
Worth remembering in future too.

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 02:32:48 +0000 GMT

I tried running it standalone first and still had an issue with it crashing relatively quickly. I'm going to try modifying the midi data sent next, but as a new owner, I admit to being overwhelmed at times with some of this stuff ;)

I do wish there was better documentation. I'd much prefer written stuff to the video stuff. The videos are great, but when you want to search for how to do something specific, there's nothing that beats the written word.

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 04:47:41 +0000 GMT

I just tried setting the decimation but that didn't do any good. I think EigenD crashed about 10 seconds later. I guess I could move up to one of the non-stable versions of EigenD and see if that helps.

It's a little frustrating. A week into Pico ownership and I've found that I've spent far more time trying to make the Pico sound good than I have trying to make music with those sounds.

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:12:14 +0000 GMT

If it is crashing running standalone, the problem is likely with the audio unit and not EigenD. It might be worth sharing your frustration with Shaky Guitar?? After all, the only interaction is MIDI.

Have you tried running it in Garage band and/or logic to see if it is stable in that setting?

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:20:31 +0000 GMT

It's not crashing running stand alone. In fact, "it" isn't crashing at all. EigenD is crashing when the AU is running.

You might be confused in that I ran it standalone before launching it within EigenD (at geert's suggestion) and still had the issue.

I might just try one of the newer versions of EigenD. I'm running the 'last stable release' right now.

Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:15:51 +0000 GMT

@snoltan - AU's and VST's run in the same process as EigenD which means that if they crash then it always crashes EigenD and appears as such (and depending on the problem it might even cause EigenD to crash at some random later time too as an errant AU can break all sorts of things). We, as an AU or VST host, don't get any say in this matter, any bad behaviour by one can bring down EigenD and there is little we can do about it. Technically the onus is on the AU author to write their program to behave well and there is no protection for the host program (EigenD in this case) if they do not.

There are a lot of less well written AU's out there (which is to be expected really, especially in the non-commercial free ones) and there is sadly a limit as to what we can do about that. We haven't actually seen a situation for some time in which we've made a hosting error. This is not to say that that isn't possible, it's just that the interface isn't really that complicated and we got most of the bugs out several years ago. In the last year every problem we've had reported has turned out to be an issue with the AU or VST rather than EigenD.

EigenD does represent a mildly different runtime environment for AU/VST's than many DAW's. Not in any sense that it obeys different standards but it does use threads in a different way to say Logic, which can tickle bugs in peoples AU's. We have seen just this in a number of different situations in the last couple of years. As far as you're concerned this is of course irrelevant, it's just broken and that's annoying, but it does mean that there are limits as to what we can do to fix it. And it's worth bearing in mind that quite justifiably many AU/VST authors don't test their products against EigenD, they just pick one or maybe two major DAW's and use those.

I'd love to be able to host AU's in a nicely sandboxed, robust way that meant EigenD didn't crash when they do. Unfortunately the performance hit you'd have to take to enable that is huge, and until computers get a whole load faster, it's just not practical.

John

Please log in to join the discussions