Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Mode keys on Alpha

Most Recent

written by: stbohne

I could finally verify this with 2.0.38-experimental. And changing the debounce time to 30000 makes it really hard to reproduce this problem (I got it like 2 times in 50-100 key presses). With a setting of 25000 I can still reproduce this easily.

Tue, 31 Jan 2012 20:45:06 +0000 GMT

Just got my Alpha (yay!). I noticed the mode keys are not always working as expected. I.e., in one out of 10 or 20 key presses I can press a mode key, the led lights up, and while still pressed, I am able to play notes on the keygroup. This seems to be the case with any mode key. I think it happensmore frequently when the mode key is pressed only lightly, but I was not able to reproduce this consistently.

Anybody experienced something like this? Is this a known issue or is it my Alpha? (EigenD 1.4.11 Win7 64bit)

written by: 0beron

Wed, 1 Feb 2012 09:46:45 +0000 GMT

Congratulations on getting your Alpha, enjoy it!

Are you sure you haven't accidentally selected multiple splits at the same time? Press the main mode key and ensure that only one split is selected, otherwise you may end up with one keygroup 'on top' that you see the lights for, and another underneath that plays notes?

Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:09:24 +0000 GMT

No, this happens even with the main mode key. It also happens using 2.0.35. And it definitely only happens, when I press the key very softly. I can press it full down, just the initial velocity has to be low.

written by: carvingCode

Wed, 1 Feb 2012 23:53:36 +0000 GMT

What Oberon describes does not sound like a planned feature.

written by: 0beron

Thu, 2 Feb 2012 10:44:20 +0000 GMT

I can reproduce this. If you press the mode key (in fact this applies to any key at all on the harp) _very_ gently and very briefly, the key indicator light goes orange, but the key doesn't trigger (for example if it is a drum loop toggle talker, it won't change colour). Sometimes I get the behaviour described where you can then fully depress the key without it triggering, and in the case of the mode key the keygroup is then playable rather than showing it's outputs.

Jim mentioned something about activation thresholds at the devcon, so there's likely some firmware/software thresholds that avoid all the keys being pressed when you breathe on the keyboard.

I've never noticed this effect in two years of owning an Alpha, do you think it is happening more often on yours?

Thu, 2 Feb 2012 19:09:45 +0000 GMT

Well so far (3 days) I haven't found this so much of an issue, yet. But I started this thread the same day my Alpha arrived. There's something wrong with either me or my Alpha.

written by: jim

Fri, 3 Feb 2012 12:07:42 +0000 GMT

I have found a small bug here, I think.

The kgroup uses the activation signal from the keyboard. This signal is based on the hard and soft activation thresholds which you can set in the instrument agent. The idea is that the signal will start at 0 when the key is initially pressed, and the data is collected for a few samples. Depending on the maximum value seen at that time, the signal either stays at 0, or goes to a value indicating a soft or hard press. It then stays at that value regardless of what the keys do subsequently.

However, I don't think kgroup uses the same criteria for the blink function and the actual mode selection function. So you may get a blink when the keyboard isn't acually in selection mode.

I'll push a fix today and maybe you can try it out.

written by: jim

Fri, 3 Feb 2012 13:12:51 +0000 GMT

Sorry, I think that was a false alarm (at least in 2.0)

More thought...

Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:05:22 +0000 GMT

Any news on this issue? It's happening also during playing, and since I know now, that it's not my fault, it is starting to become annoying.

written by: john

Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:33:56 +0000 GMT

Hi Stefan

The problem Jim is talking about seems to be connected with the keygroup light blink. This can leave you to believe that you're in selection mode when in fact you haven't pressed the mode key hard enough to enter it. We may get to doing a fix for this in 1.4, but since it seems to be very easily avoided by pressing the mode key firmly as a matter of course (and only firmly enough that it seems you may be the only person who has ever pressed it lightly enough to notice this effect - you must have a very light touch on your instrument - we're all obviously thugs by comparison) it isn't on the top of the list of 'things to do' right now as we're really trying to get the next release of 2.0 out and there's a very pressing list of unavoidable showstopper bugs that need attention before all the ones that can be easily overcome in playing.

If this is a more serious problem (ie, if you press the mode key firmly and it is still occurring) then please let us know - we couldn't reproduce it here without playing the mode key very lightly indeed but it's quite possible that it's not this effect at all, it could just be a coincidence and we could have formed the wrong conclusion about it. If so please let us know and we'll look at it again.

Quite a bit of this stuff is being changed (work ongoing this week in fact) in 2.0 and it's more than likely that this effect will naturally disappear in that series - we combining the key number signals and the activation signals into one for the next release as it's become an obvious source of setup wiring errors when they are kept separate.

John

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:50:30 +0000 GMT

I have some news on this topic. I just hooked up the vumeter plugin to pressure output of alpha keyboard 1 (2.0.36, alpha modular synth). And it works nicely. But when this effect with the key happens, the vumeter doesn't show anything. So apparently, when the key press has no effect, there's is really no data coming into EigenD. I've also checked roll and yaw with the same result.

Sometimes I can wiggle and press the key as much as I want (after the initial touch), and apparently no data is generated from the Eigenharp. I don't think this behavior is intended. The key's led is lit though.

I also tried to monitor usb traffic, but all software I tried crashed when monitoring EigenD.

written by: geert

Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:59:06 +0000 GMT

HI Stephan,

It's probably easiest to check this with bcat (since you were at the DevCon, we've introduced you to it already):

/usr/pi/release-2.0.36-experimental/bin/bcat -idDS '|alpha_manager1/1|#17'

(replace | with left and right angle bracket)

Should show you the current key data that is output from the Alpha. You can replace #17 by #2, #3 and #4 to look at pressure, roll and yaw. Doing it this way, you actually looking that the data combing straight from the keyboard, instead of looking at data coming into another agent, which goes straight to the source.

Let us know what happens.

Take care,

Geert

Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:05:07 +0000 GMT

This is three keys pressed with sound playing

E:\Program Files (x86)\Eigenlabs\release-2.0.36-experimental\bin>bcat -idDS "|al
pha_manager1/1|#17"
log:using portbase 55555
17 {domain:aniso([]),cname:key output,protocols:output,slave:'#22'} i
d=null
17.254 id=null
17.254.1 id=63 (63,(3.0,15.0),63,(1.0,63.0),2) 0.666667
17.254.2 id=null
17.254.3 id=111 (111,(5.0,15.0),111,(1.0,111.0),2) 0.666667
17.254.4 id=null
17.254.5 id=null
17.254.6 id=null
17.254.7 id=null
17.254.8 id=null
17.254.9 id=null
17.254.10 id=87 (87,(4.0,15.0),87,(1.0,87.0),2) 0.666667
17.254.11 id=null
17.254.12 id=null

This is the same three keys pressed again, with no sound playing.

E:\Program Files (x86)\Eigenlabs\release-2.0.36-experimental\bin>bcat -idDS "|al
pha_manager1/1|#17"
d=null
17.254 id=null
17.254.1 id=null
17.254.2 id=null
17.254.3 id=null
17.254.4 id=null
17.254.5 id=null
17.254.6 id=null
17.254.7 id=null
17.254.8 id=null
17.254.9 id=null
17.254.10 id=null
17.254.11 id=null
17.254.12 id=null

And again with sound.

pha_manager1/1|#17"
d=null
17.254 id=null
17.254.1 id=null
17.254.2 id=null
17.254.3 id=null
17.254.4 id=62 (62,(3.0,14.0),62,(1.0,62.0),2) 0.666667
17.254.5 id=110 (110,(5.0,14.0),110,(1.0,110.0),2) 0.666667
17.254.6 id=null
17.254.7 id=null
17.254.8 id=null
17.254.9 id=null
17.254.10 id=null
17.254.11 id=null
17.254.12 id=86 (86,(4.0,14.0),86,(1.0,86.0),2) 0.666667

Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:44:28 +0000 GMT

Hi Stefan

This has got us seriously stumped here. We can't reproduce this behaviour at all, however hard we try and we've had a really good think about how the instrument firmware could even let this happen. We really have no idea beyond thinking that starting a note very very slowly could make the hysteresis and thermal drift filters behave oddly. We can't get this to happen though, so it seems unlikely. The only other thing that we can think of is that you may have some strange or corrupted data in your calibration that is interacting in some bizarre way with the firmware. This would be very odd though, we've never seen anything like it in years of development , testing and shipping Eigenharps. Not to say there isn't a first time though.

The next step is probably going to have to be us bringing your instrument back here to look at it. Before we do that could you possibly try something? We'd really like to see this effect shown on video, in case we're missing something that you're doing in our attempts to reproduce it here. If you have any way of making a visual record of it, it could be a big help and there's always the chance it'll avoid depriving you of your instrument for a while.

John

Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:40:39 +0000 GMT

Here you go: http://youtu.be/F_vtHdp-b-k
This is 2.0.36-experimental with alpha 2 (ModularSynth) on Windows 7 64 bit.
I also tried it with my Mac mini today, but the result was the same.

Is there anything else I could try to help you?

Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:33:24 +0000 GMT

Thanks Stefan, that's very strange to watch. The keys obviously activate as the light comes on (which is done in the firmware), which tells us something immediately. Quick question if you have a moment - does this also happen with 1.4.12 using a Factory Setup and if it does could you show us? This is quite an important question as there are a lot of code changes from 1.4.12 to 2.0.36 and it would be very helpful to know if they have had any effect, it will really help us try to isolate the problem.

John

Wed, 29 Feb 2012 11:00:25 +0000 GMT

Hi Stefan

We've had a long discussion here this morning and think that the most probable explanation is that there's something awry with the key calibration in your instrument. We'd like to bring it back to Eigenlabs for service to investigate this properly. Neil will be in touch shortly to arrange collection of your Alpha if that's OK, and we'll do our best to get it back to you as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for the trouble this has caused you.

John

Wed, 29 Feb 2012 21:19:19 +0000 GMT

It doesn't seem to be a problem of EigenD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Yl-SGh_EE
I switched to AU 1, because you probably couldn't hear when I played the piano softly anyway.

Maybe, could it be that this is the very Alpha we saw at the DevCon? And something went wrong when you demonstrated the calibration process? Maybe someone touched the Alpha during the calibration or something.

Btw, you may want to update the year of the copyright notice in the about dialog ;-)

Wed, 29 Feb 2012 21:20:02 +0000 GMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Yl-SGh_EE

Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:51:41 +0000 GMT

Hi Stefan

We finally got to the bottom of your problem today, and it was about as weird as it comes with the Eigenharp. It's quite hard to reproduce on your instrument although after several hours of trying we were finally able to do it around one key press in ten or twenty, if we were very careful. We also managed to reproduce it on other Alpha's, though it was much much harder, to the point that it took many hundreds of even more careful key presses to produce the same effect.

Jim finally tracked the problem down to the key debounce algorithm. This disables a key for a short period (20 milliseconds) after it deactivates to prevent very short key activations caused by vibration and rapid movements near the keys. Without this we found a lot of spurious notes got triggered as a consequence of the key sensitivity. The way we were able to reproduce your problem was by brushing the key very very lightly on the way to pressing it - the brushing seems to set up a tiny sympathetic resonance in the key/spring system that activates the key debounce, which then ignores the subsequent key press as it considers it to be noise. We think that the reason it is easier to see in your instrument (and by easier I really mean 'possible' as it's incredibly difficult to get this effect to happen on other instruments) is that it has hard maple keys - these have a slightly different mass to ebony or plastic keys and we think that the changed natural resonant frequency of the key system is interacting with the key debounce window in a different way. We have made very few Alpha's with those keys (which are very nice but also very expensive and difficult to make), which is probably why we haven't seen it before.

Fortunately, the debounce window is an adjustable parameter in the firmware. Jim has just committed a code change in 2.0 that brings this up to the user level as a control in the Alpha manager. When we adjusted it to 25mS instead of the normal 20 we could no longer reproduce the effect on your Alpha. You should do that in your setups to avoid the issue in the future. You won't notice the change from a playing point of view unless you were planning on being able to play notes at better than 40Hz on the same key, which we think is probably unlikely.

We've booked your instrument in to be shipped back to you tomorrow, hopefully you'll have it for the weekend. Please accept our apologies for the hassle caused. Every now and then we get a reminder of how sensitive the Eigenkeys really are, and this one was a doozy.

John

Please log in to join the discussions