Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: 1.x Factory Setup Strawman Outline Request (Pico)

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

@Dirkson - Don't know if this is part of what you're looking for, but I ran across a pretty detailed overview of an Agent while perusing the OSC Agent source tonight.

The file ROADMAP is in the v2.0 branch on github. I found a pretty great explanation of what goes on in an Agent (scroll to the middle of the file). Don't know who wrote the documentation, but kudos.

Randy

written by: dirkson

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 14:42:38 +0000 GMT

I'm early in the learning cycle for Agents and was hoping someone would be up for sketching out a strawman outline with the agents and how they interact at a high level in the 1.x factory setup for the Pico -- nothing too detailed, just a agent keyword outline.

TIA,
Dirk

written by: john

Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:03:26 +0000 GMT

Hi Dirk

There's a description of the components in Factory Pico 1 here. There's other information about the Pico setups here.

The documentation effort has now shifted to 2.0 and we won't be producing any more official information for the 1.X series. If you're interested, you can read the 2.0 information by changing the version at the top of the page from 1.4 to 2.0. Workbench (docs here) provides a nice graphical view of setups if you're interested in the signal flow, but it's early days for 2.0 as yet, so you might want to hold off for a while as there are no Factory Setups as yet.

John

Sat, 14 Jan 2012 05:05:53 +0000 GMT

Thanks, John. I'd already worked through those references and was looking for the next level or two deeper. I'm jumping back and forth between my 1.x and 2.x Pro instances trying to get a feel for setup creation. The motivation on the question was to gather enough agent pseudocode go start hacking some non-trivial setups beyond whats covered in the Workbench tutorials. My mental models come from Max/MSP, Reaktor, etc., so I'm enjoying experimenting compositionally with the various agents, but looking forward to setup developer documentation (e.g. whitepaper on EigenD 2.x tooling relationships + complete agent/belcanto technical reference/grammar, exemplars, etc.), EigenD setup import/export as XML/JSON, and of course world peace! ;-)

written by: geert

Sat, 14 Jan 2012 08:22:13 +0000 GMT

Hi Dirk,

The EigenD reference is very complete as a technical reference that also gives you the vocabulary: http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.4/The_EigenD_Reference/

The Pico MIDI from scratch is a good introduction into how the grammar works and how agents inter-connect: http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.4/Pico_MIDI_From_Scratch/

Note that we're cleaning up some of the Belcanto names and constructs in EigenD 2.0, meaning that many v1 scripts will not work anymore.

One of the advantages of Worbench in 2.0 is that it gives you the relationships overview at various levels of granularity. In the long run this is going to be more much useful than a text document as it is automatically maintained and up-to-date. This is one of the reasons why we haven't written down how everything inter-connects in the EigenD 1 setups. It's a lot of work and it's becomes out-dated very soon. Also, as people create their own setups with EigenD 1, the same lack of visibility is present. EigenD 2 and Workbench is therefore the way forward to make this all inspectable, maintainable, current and accessible.

We have a feature ticket to make the setups an XML text format, so this is already on the list.

Take care,

Geert

written by: john

Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:11:09 +0000 GMT

Hi Dirk

One of the things we'll be working on next is the recreation of the existing 1.X Factory Setups in 2.0, so you should start to see those appear in subsequent releases. They may not be exactly the same as the 1.X versions but they should be very close in functionality. By far the best way to figure them out will be to be able to explore them in Workbench, I don't think any amount of documentation will improve on that - the whole thing we're trying to do with Workbench is make the environment highly discoverable. So far we seem to be doing OK with that ambition, enough so that we're staying on track.

It'll be a couple of weeks before we get the first Factory Setup out though as we have the Eigenlabs DevCon next week - shame you're not coming to that!

BTW, I'm very interested to hear of your experiences coming from the world of Max to EigenD 2.0. In particular we'd love to hear of things that are missing in EigenD that you're used to in Max and miss, particularly things that are good for live performance.

John

Sat, 14 Jan 2012 14:51:06 +0000 GMT

Geert, the "from scratch" series is awesome -- tons of good stuff in there . Its also helpful as a differential reference for the 3 siblings. Any directions to serialization in 2.0 source branch would be helpful (I was going to ask on Monday, but what the heck), perhaps we could throw you some code and save you some time...

John, the DevCon is going to be *EPIC* -- if my passport was up to date you can bet I'd be there! I expect huge thing things will grow from such mindshare.

Thanks again to you both -- great thread!

written by: carvingCode

Sun, 15 Jan 2012 02:53:01 +0000 GMT

@Dirkson - Don't know if this is part of what you're looking for, but I ran across a pretty detailed overview of an Agent while perusing the OSC Agent source tonight.

The file ROADMAP is in the v2.0 branch on github. I found a pretty great explanation of what goes on in an Agent (scroll to the middle of the file). Don't know who wrote the documentation, but kudos.

Randy

Please log in to join the discussions