Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Adding flexibility to saving setups

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

Read through (finally) the in app documentation for saving and naming the setups. This describes pretty well how to use the Belcanto portions of the naming scheme, but not the tagging (unless I missed something).

I played around a bit with the naming scheme and was able to produce a tree of a couple levels deep.

To do this, you ignore the first two fields and activate the third (by clicking the silver bullet). Then you can enter a name, example "user loop script mytune". This will create a tree hierachy of:

user
--> loop
------> script
-----------> mytune

'user', 'loop' and 'script' would be the collapsible parts of the true and 'mytune' the setup name.

While this works, it isn't very helpful as no one would really want use most existing Belcanto words for organizers (except for possibly 'loop'). Hence my request for several additional names.

Suggestions:

tune
song
composition
ditty
original
cover
jazz
rock
blues
... other genres ...

Just some thoughts.

Thanks.

Randy

Wed, 4 Jan 2012 11:02:47 +0000 GMT

While looking thru EIgenD source today trying to find where I might be able to mod the code to allow for other grouping names in the setup load tree, I discovered 'lexicon.txt'. This file seems to contain all of the textual magic for the application.

While testing, I tried naming a setup "tune 1 ~ name'. No luck. The file did not show up in the setup load tree. So, I renamed it to a string found in 'lexicon.txt'. I named the file 'script 1 ~ name'. Success! The setup load tree has a grouping named 'script' with my setup located in that grouping.

So, my question is how to properly use this? I notice that there are unused spots in the lexicon. Is it safe to modify the lexicon? Or better, can we get an official addition of a few words that would allow us to save setups in a more flexible set of groupings? I'd like 'song', 'tune', idea' to be added.

Randy

written by: john

Wed, 4 Jan 2012 12:29:57 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy

The rule with setup names is that they have to be valid Belcanto, so if a word exists in the lexicon it can be used to name a setup. You can do this from the GUI save dialogue, or directly in Belcanto from the commander or instrument. The organisation tree you see in the GUI is simply broken on word boundaries, so each additional Belcanto word in a Setup name just makes another level of tree. So if you name a setup Ahdsr Filter 1 you'll get a Ahdsr level, followed by a Filter level in which will be your setup called 1.

There is also tagging allowed, which is freeform text. This is not used anywhere in EigenD but is appended into the filename the setup is stored under to help you identify them in a file manager. It also appears in the GUI when browsing.

The reason we impose the restriction of only permitting valid Belcanto as setup names is that it makes the loading and saving of setups work properly and consistently with everything else. You can for example define a talker to load or save a particular setup very easily. If setup names were freeform text this would not be possible, so we compromise by adding the tags to act as an aide memoire.

I am the 'Lexicon God' BTW, in that I'm the only one who gets to mess with it. It's due some attention very shortly as there are some unused words that have crept in and a whole load (starting with 8XXX) of new ones that need proper allocation. Allocating them well takes ages as one is supposed to be able to play commonly used phrases with ease, so it needs thought to avoid too many double or triple taps on keys, or clumsy sequences. Jim just mentioned that you have some suggestions for some more useful words - if you post them here (and anyone else please contribute too) I'll look at that and add them if they seem appropriate...

cheers

John

edit: The Lexicon in the source tree is the same as the one in the Commander BTW.

Wed, 4 Jan 2012 17:46:09 +0000 GMT

John - I'd like 'tune' or 'song' added. This will allow us to organize loops and songs in their own tree. Rather than wading thru the 'User' tree, this would help. Also, there really should be a more friendly way to assign the portions of the name, at least the first portion.

Can you explain the tagging you mention?

Thanks.

Randy

Thu, 5 Jan 2012 00:35:37 +0000 GMT

Read through (finally) the in app documentation for saving and naming the setups. This describes pretty well how to use the Belcanto portions of the naming scheme, but not the tagging (unless I missed something).

I played around a bit with the naming scheme and was able to produce a tree of a couple levels deep.

To do this, you ignore the first two fields and activate the third (by clicking the silver bullet). Then you can enter a name, example "user loop script mytune". This will create a tree hierachy of:

user
--> loop
------> script
-----------> mytune

'user', 'loop' and 'script' would be the collapsible parts of the true and 'mytune' the setup name.

While this works, it isn't very helpful as no one would really want use most existing Belcanto words for organizers (except for possibly 'loop'). Hence my request for several additional names.

Suggestions:

tune
song
composition
ditty
original
cover
jazz
rock
blues
... other genres ...

Just some thoughts.