Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Pico wont even light up - driver problem?

Most Recent

written by: jim

To be absolutely sure that the correct driver is in place, try navigating to the driver-1.0.8 directory. This will be in the Eigenlabs directory which is either in

C:\program files (x86)

Or

C:\program files

In there, you'll see an application called dpinst.

Run that.

In normal usage, when you plug the Pico in, you'll hear the sound as the driver gets loaded.

When EigenD runs, it will download firmware and the Pico will disconnect and reconnect.

If you can't see the Pico in the device manager, try different USB ports. Even without the driver, it should appear at least as an unknown device. There should be *something* appearing when you plug in.

You could also try a different cable. It's a standard cable type.

written by: flintastek

Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:26:04 +0000 GMT

Hi everyone,

after plugging in my pico for the first time (windows7) it wont light up. the installation of the ressources-package, the 1.08 updated drivers and eigend stable 1.3.32 seemed successful. When i check the systems-manager, there is one not-identified device that wasnt there before so i guess its the pico.

retrying the whole installation process didnt help. anyone in for an idea? :)

Thank you very much for taking time to read this. I would be so happy if someone had a solution for i just have holidays and cant wait to play my great present :)

best regards ben

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 26 Dec 2011 19:38:30 +0000 GMT

Try to uninstall and reinstall the driver with the instrument not plugged in (not only reinstalling, really uninstalling first). Had a similar problem some time ago, reinstalling helped. (As long as the device is only recognized as "Unknown" it won't work). Also ensure that you don't plug it into a USB hub but a primary USB port. (e.g. on some older mainboards USB3 ports are also not native but on a dedicated adapter what can also influence latency response - what the Pico doesn't like in some cases. In that case try to plug into an USB2 port)

written by: keyman

Mon, 26 Dec 2011 22:37:38 +0000 GMT

Congrats on you're present!!!
Just the obvious but...
Run EigenD, Factory Setups, choose PICO and then 1 Standard PICO setup...
It could be the USB cable; original one? Try a different one, short and good quality, and for testing no hub in between.

Hope this helps

written by: flintastek

Tue, 27 Dec 2011 15:33:30 +0000 GMT

Excellent. Pointing the device-wizard to the \program files(x86)\eigend\drivers -folder manually did the trick!

Pico now up and running and its a wonderful device :)

Thank you very much NothanUmber and keyman for your quick responses!

written by: bluybrink

Tue, 27 Dec 2011 18:00:20 +0000 GMT

I'm glad you could fix your problem. Maybe I can help others with my findings too. My holiday Pico also had a bit of a frustrating start. When I plugged it into one of the two USB3.0 ports on a Dell XPS15Z, it was lighting up for about one-two seconds and then dying. I also tried to plug it in trough an externally powered usb hub, but the result wasn't any different. I had no idea what could be causing problem, there was no error message, all drivers were reporting everything OK. After hours of installing, uninstalling, cable replacing and grunting I realized that there is an oddly shaped eSATA port next to the two usb3.0 ports on the laptop, and it doubles as a USB2 port. When plugged there, Pico came alive without problems and since then everything works fine.

written by: carvingCode

Wed, 28 Dec 2011 00:33:04 +0000 GMT

All of the Eigenlabs folks are off until 1/3/12. Be sure to send in a bug report from EigenD (the software) letting them know that USB3 on W7 does not seem to work. Jim and Geert are quite good at figuring these things out.

I run W7 as well and am glad you have addressed this. May be useful down the road.

Randy

written by: cogreslab

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:36:53 +0000 GMT

flintastek said:
Hi everyone,

after plugging in my pico for the first time (windows7) it wont light up. the installation of the ressources-package, the 1.08 updated drivers and eigend stable 1.3.32 seemed successful. When i check the systems-manager, there is one not-identified device that wasnt there before so i guess its the pico.

After weeks of drama trying to get the software for my Pico working on my W7 notebook by gradually understanding what is required when downloading, , I have now arrived at the same situation as the above poster. As with the above poster the software seems to have installed successfully, and after a conversation with Devon my secondhand Pico is now listed as activated (though this I understand has nothing to do with the successful operation of the Pico.

retrying the whole installation process didnt help. anyone in for an idea? :)

Thank you very much for taking time to read this. I would be so happy if someone had a solution for i just have holidays and cant wait to play my great present :)

best regards ben

written by: NothanUmber

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:43:11 +0000 GMT

Hi, did you completely uninstall the driver (via control panel->Applications->Uninstall) and reinstall it? (Just updating the driver did not do the trick for me)

written by: jim

Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:19:13 +0000 GMT

To be absolutely sure that the correct driver is in place, try navigating to the driver-1.0.8 directory. This will be in the Eigenlabs directory which is either in

C:\program files (x86)

Or

C:\program files

In there, you'll see an application called dpinst.

Run that.

In normal usage, when you plug the Pico in, you'll hear the sound as the driver gets loaded.

When EigenD runs, it will download firmware and the Pico will disconnect and reconnect.

If you can't see the Pico in the device manager, try different USB ports. Even without the driver, it should appear at least as an unknown device. There should be *something* appearing when you plug in.

You could also try a different cable. It's a standard cable type.

Please log in to join the discussions