Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Browser is empty

Most Recent

written by: jfortiv

Hi Everyone,

As Jim suggested to me in a support email, it was in fact Peer Guardian that was blocking the UDP ports. I originally thought that this was not possible because Peer Guardian was not running when I had the problem. I went into Peer Guardian and manually turned off all port blocking and then closed Peer Guardian and my issue was resolved. Apparently, Peer Guardian does not need to be running in order to block ports. Now, I'll just find a way to make sure that only the ports that EigenD uses remain unblocked by Peer Guardian.

Jim, thanks so much for helping me to track down this issue.

James

written by: limfjord

Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:40:56 +0000 GMT

Hello, I need som help please:

My browser window is just empty..
When I start up the browser window it loads, but I just get 4 empty fields...
Running 1.3.32 stable on windows 7 64 bit.
It's not happening when I run it on my laptop..

Regards

Kim Jensen

written by: carvingCode

Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:14:27 +0000 GMT

You may want to send a bug report from EigenD. It may give tech support some additional details.

Did you install the system resources and driver?

Randy

written by: geert

Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:00:14 +0000 GMT

Hi Kim,

To have something display in the EigenBrowser you might have to browse for it. There are keys in the advanced configuration sections that allow you to browse for different items.

Hope that helps,

Geert

written by: NothanUmber

Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:03:46 +0000 GMT

Are you by any chance accidently starting eigenbrowser_old.exe?
This does not work at all on Windows (normally it does not even start, with some effort you get it into the "empty windows" state.)

You have to use Eigenbrowser.exe, this should work.

Does EigenCommander.exe show the same behaviour? (Afaik this uses the same rendering framework as the eigenbrowser, so if one of them works you can mostly rule out incompatibilities between the graphics card driver/theme/whatever and the graphics framework.)

Greetings,
NothanUmber

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 18:41:33 +0000 GMT

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue on my MacBook Pro running Lion. I purchased my Pico and received it 1 week ago. The instrument came with EigenD 1.3.29 and I immediately installed the update to 1.3.32 stable. My EigenBrowser is empty and doesn't seem to work when I follow the tutorial instructions to change drum loops. I checked that my drum loops exist in /usr/pi. Additionally, I tried installing just 1.3.29 on a different Mac (iMac with Leopard). Same issue. After some suggestions from support to check that my audio loops exist and to try rebuilding loops.db, I'm now downloading all of the resource data from the website in hopes that this is just a case of a corrupted drive that came with the harp. I've trashed everything related to Eigenlabs (I think) and will try to install directly from the 1.3.32 release, bypassing the original 1.3.29 install altogether. I hope this works! I will update this thread with my results.

Thanks,
James

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:45:39 +0000 GMT

I reinstalled as I described above and I am still seeing a blank EigneBrowser. Note that I access the EigenBrowser using the "Tools" dropdown menu, which is unlike the way that Nick does it in the tutorial. I don't have the icon that he has at the top of the screen. This is frustrating. :/

James

written by: jaself

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:48:26 +0000 GMT

The tools menu is current for at least the last year. Did you load a blank setup or a standard setup for your instrument type? I saw a blank browser when I loaded a blank setup, but when never otherwise

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 23:43:28 +0000 GMT

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've tried both the standard Pico setup and the 2 VST/AU and 4 MIDI Out setup that both come with the EigenD installation. Both show a blank EigenBrowser.

James

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:54:16 +0000 GMT

Hello again,

Kim, I realize that this is your thread and that I've hijacked it. My thought is that perhaps we are sharing a root cause for our problems and that I'm helping to get to the solution faster. If you think that this is not helpful, let me know and I'll start a new thread.

Given that I've tried installing:

- EigenD 1.3.29 alone
- EigenD 1.3.29 with the 1.3.32 updater from the website
- the EigenD 1.3.32 updater from the website alone,

re-downloaded the resource package, and still have been unable to see any content in the EigenBrowser, I'm led to wonder what is common between my two computers that might be causing an issue. I noticed that /usr/pi contains a release of Python. I have several non-default (not part of the Mac OS release) versions of Python installed on both my computers. Does anyone know enough about the function of Python with the EigenBrowser to suggest whether this might actually be the issue? I've spent many hours configuring these Python installations and I'm not willing to uninstall Python just to test this hypothesis.

Another thought I've had is that perhaps the Eigenharp itself is the problem. For those for whom the EigenBrowser is working correctly, do you see content in the EigenBrowser if you start EigenD without the instrument plugged in? This might give me a clue. If you do see content without the instrument plugged in, that would eliminate the possibility that my instrument is causing the problem.

I hope to get this working soon!

Thanks a lot,
James

written by: geert

Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:59:16 +0000 GMT

Hi there,

There's a bug that crept in the last releases in that none of the scales will show in the EigenBrowser unless you have a User Scales.txt file present. This will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime, please look at this wiki page about how to create a User Scales.txt file and you should be able to see scales in the EigenBrowser. However, even without this, you should be able to browse for other items by opening the EigenBrowser and pressing a browse key in your setup (see reference guides).

Hope this helps,

Geert

Sun, 18 Dec 2011 04:40:35 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert,

Thanks a lot for the tip. I created this file and added a test scale following the format shown on the Wiki page. Unfortunately, my issue persists. But I learned something new to try when I finally get it working!

I appreciate it,
James

written by: carvingCode

Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:23:53 +0000 GMT

>>
Another thought I've had is that perhaps the Eigenharp itself is the problem. For those for whom the EigenBrowser is working correctly, do you see content in the EigenBrowser if you start EigenD without the instrument plugged in
<<

I unplugged my Eigenharps, and was able to see content (AU/VSTs) in the browser.

written by: keyman

Sun, 18 Dec 2011 17:04:41 +0000 GMT

@jfortiv
running a setup from Factory Setups then choose pico
- Standard Pico Setup - does the Pico light up? any light?

You can start EigenD /EigenBrowser/ EigenCommander without an instrument connected, just choose a setup.

Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:51:40 +0000 GMT

Hello again, I've been in a hurry for chistmas preparations, but now I finally found some time to check your help.. And thank you all for the posts.
#carvincode: I sent a bug report long time ago, but havent heard anything - I have sent one more just a few minutes ago.. And yes I installed resources and driver..

#geert: I have tried browsing but with no luck.. And the Scales bug I had on my laptop - this is not the same..

#NothanUmber: its eigenbrowser.exe - not _old

#jfortiv: You're very welcome in "my" thread ;o)

Hope someone has more suggestions, cause I haven't found a solution yet.. I have taken a screenshot : empty browser

Kim

Mon, 19 Dec 2011 01:07:25 +0000 GMT

Hi Kim,

My empty browser appears the same as yours.

James

written by: jim

Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:41:09 +0000 GMT

After some investigation, I think these problems might be related to traffic between
EigenD and EigenBrowser.

This traffic uses the UDP multicast protocol.

Please can you check your systems for firewalls and packet filters that might be
blocking this traffic.

On windows, the first time you run EigenD, the Commander, or the Browser, you
may get a pop up from the firewall. You need to allow these programs to access
the network for them to work.

jim

Mon, 2 Jan 2012 08:25:09 +0000 GMT

Hi Jim

Thanks alot! I tried shutting down zonealarm, and problem gone!

Does anyone know how to allow the traffic between EigenD and EigenBrowser in zonealarm?

Happy new year!

Kim

written by: keyman

Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:45:46 +0000 GMT

New wiki entry

Network_Errors

written by: jim

Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:59:46 +0000 GMT

The new 1.4.11 release includes a connectivity check at startup which I hope will help identify this problem.

Then the trick is to figure out what's blocking the traffic and how to configure it to let it pass. Hopefully our
more technical users with experience in using particular firewalls will be able to provide instructions, using
the information on that page to help.

I didn't have any luck with Zone Alarm. It doesn't appear to be very configurable. It even borked my VPN links
even though I set its configuration to allow them...

jim

Sun, 8 Jan 2012 22:33:29 +0000 GMT

Hi Everyone,

As Jim suggested to me in a support email, it was in fact Peer Guardian that was blocking the UDP ports. I originally thought that this was not possible because Peer Guardian was not running when I had the problem. I went into Peer Guardian and manually turned off all port blocking and then closed Peer Guardian and my issue was resolved. Apparently, Peer Guardian does not need to be running in order to block ports. Now, I'll just find a way to make sure that only the ports that EigenD uses remain unblocked by Peer Guardian.

Jim, thanks so much for helping me to track down this issue.

James

Please log in to join the discussions