Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: MIDI Routing settings for better playability?

Most Recent

written by: barnone

@John
Enjoyed the 80's history bit about the midi delay.
You may need to hire a biographer.

Actually, a feature in TapeOp would be amazing.

Do you guys get TapeOp? It's a fantastic free publication in the states, produced in Portland, OR. Their interviews are the best!!!

If you don't know it, I'm bringing some issues to the UK for the developers conference.

http://tapeop.com/

written by: carvingCode

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 01:56:19 +0000 GMT

I enjoy playing the Eigenharp through either the built in samplers/sound fonts or via VSTs more than playing patches through MIDI.

In the first case, playing seems more fluid and "real" feeling. Via MIDI, the playing is much more touchy and twitchy. This doesn't really seem to be specific to any patch, except for pads which aren't noticeably affected as one may imagine.

Anyone have suggestions on setting changes I could make in the MIDI Router which may help to even out the differences? Setting decimation to 10 doesn't seem to affect this.

TIA

Randy

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 04:07:30 +0000 GMT

What is your current routing?

Staying within the computer is a lot faster and has a ton more bandwidth than a standard midi cable, so routing via IAC ports works a lot better than sending to external midi hardware in general.

If the hardware is connected via USB instead, that can be acceptable.

Standard midi cables are slooow.

Also depends a lot on what the target is and what it's latency /bandwidth is.

written by: john

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:47:55 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy

If you're routing over an actual DIN style old fashioned MIDI cable, a decimation of 10 is more like a minimum than anything extreme. Each key on an Eigenharp generates data at around 2000 times a second, and it generates three pieces of data each time. To give you an idea how slow old style MIDI is, it runs at 31.25 k baud, which means it can only ship around one note on every millisecond or so (a little less in a perfect world, but not much less, so only 1000 notes/second at maximum). If you send poly aftertouch this data is doubled, so the note rate is halved if not more, and if you start mapping other controller streams it gets progressively worse. As Chris points out, DIN MIDI cables are really slow - I'd turn the decimation up further if you're playing with much polyphony at all and even then you're going to experience a noticeable latency after playing more than one note. It's not good, but we have to keep in mind that MIDI was invented for the 6502, a 1MHz 8 bit microprocessor. 31.25k was speedy then, this was when a 2400 baud modem was near state of the art.

Years ago (we're talking mid 1980's here) there used to be a great little trick using the slow MIDI cable data rate. Yamaha used to make a DX7 rack mount thing, 3U high with individual DX7's in little vertical modules - you could have 8 of them in one rack. The DX7 didn't have a MIDI 'Thru' port, just an 'Out', so the MIDI data was even slower as it had to be shipped in and out of each module by it's weedy little 8 bit CPU. If one programmed a slightly different piano patch into each module and wired the MIDI in and out of them in series a great (sounds very 80's nowdays) electronic piano sound could be achieved, especially if you panned each module separately - the time delays and sonic spread made it very rich at a time when rich sounds were harder to find. A friend of mine used this (although he might have been using a Fairlight sample of it I'm not sure) when producing Roger Waters's 'Radio Kaos' album, on the track 'The Tide Is Turning'. Listen to that on a nice set of speakers, you'll see what I mean.

John

Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:07:04 +0000 GMT

I'm playing DAW (Reason) thru EigenD's MIDI Out. Both software are running on the same PC.

Currently, I only have a decimation setting in use. I'm interested in settings, whether in the MIDI Router or in the individual synth in Reason, that would reduce the extreme sensitity, or "twitchy-ness".

Many of the synths seem to have unusually aggressive attacks. I don't notice this when I play them with my keyboard, so am thinking it's related to an EigenD setting This is something I'd like to reduce without otherwise affecting its sound.

Anything come to mind?

Randy

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 11:55:49 +0000 GMT

I will add that I don't think this is a EigenD problem at all, as it is performing very well with all of the VSTs I'm using. As I mentioned, the VSTs are producing fluid playability. It's the synths in the MID-controlled DAW that are twitchy.

I think this is probably some tweaking that I need to do within Reason or maybe in the MIDI Router. As I'm yet unfamiliar with all of the effects of various parameter changes, I wanted to run my question by here as I know there are many knowledgeable folks here.

Randy

written by: geert

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:44:32 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy,

I think part of what's unclear is when you say 'twitchy', this could really mean a lot of things. I'd start looking at the pitch bend settings to see if they're not extremely inside Reason, but that's supposing that by 'twitchy' you mean the pitch not easily being under control.

Take care,

Geert

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:33:00 +0000 GMT

Sorry. 'Twitchy' is not a very descriptive term. A better way to describe this might be that the note attack is abrupt. There is a velocity change, but the initial note attack is often much more aggressive than I would like, and more than what occurs when playing the VSTs. I have adjusted pitch bend so it's in an acceptable range.

Randy

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:45:49 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy

The translation from Eigenharp to MIDI velocity occurs in the MIDI Agent. It has the same default values in the AU/VST hosts as the MIDI Agent, so unless you've changed them it's very odd that you would find them to behave differently. It's possible that Reason is munging the velocities in some way though. You can adjust the way this translation works to a fine degree in EigenD, there are controls for the number of data samples that are used to determine it, the correction curve applied and an overall scale factor I think. You can find these in the 'create control' browser in Stage, inside the MIDI Agent. Playing with these may well fix your problem, if you can't find out what is happening inside Reason.

John

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:08:26 +0000 GMT

Thanks, John. Yes, that gives me a good place to begin. It probably is something within Reason's synths that I can adjust. As some reading here this morning has discovered (if I understand), communication between EigenD and a VST is through MIDI, it would not necessarily point to an adjustment in EigenD. Though it's good to know where in EigenD I could make adjustments.

Randy

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:36:43 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy

That's right, the VST and AU interfaces mostly use what is effectively MIDI to send data to the software synth. There's another interface, the 'host automation parameters' which many AU or VST's support, which gives direct access to things in the synth like the front panel knobs without the need to go through MIDI on the way (and have a sa consequence a potentially much better resolution), but notes go through a MIDI like interface with all that implies.

John

Wed, 14 Dec 2011 20:46:59 +0000 GMT

OK. I spent some more time with Reason and the Tau today. Here's what I noticed:

Depending on the patch, its default pitch bend range could be anywhere from a semitone to an octave. The "twitchy-ness" I mentioned was noticeable in the patches with an octave pitch bend and not with others. That's what had me confused, as some patches played well and others not.

I reduced the pitch bend range in Stage from 1 to .3 and now have more consistent playability between VST and DAW patches.

Thanks for pointing me toward a solution, all. Appreciated.

Randy

Thu, 15 Dec 2011 02:32:39 +0000 GMT

@John
Enjoyed the 80's history bit about the midi delay.
You may need to hire a biographer.

Actually, a feature in TapeOp would be amazing.

Do you guys get TapeOp? It's a fantastic free publication in the states, produced in Portland, OR. Their interviews are the best!!!

If you don't know it, I'm bringing some issues to the UK for the developers conference.

http://tapeop.com/

Please log in to join the discussions