Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: built in synth components

Most Recent

written by: barnone

Nice demo. I think you made your point with that video. The resolution and low latency of the control is so important as we are finding out again and again.

written by: Larryheil

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:05:15 +0000 GMT

What are the components of the built in analog synth ? my version of Stage does not have a tab for Synth (it does have cello and clarinet) I haven't found the components of the synth.

written by: mikemilton

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:27:34 +0000 GMT

If you have a look in the EigenD reference there are several oscillators, a ladder filter and an AHDSR. As it stands, the synth is quite basic but hopefully this will be one of the things we get to organize in V2.

Of course, it would be nice to have better bits and that would seem to be something ideal for the open source contributors could have a shot at that would not burden the in-house effort.

GB mentioned the notion of Pulse wave modulator, I'd like the oscilator to be controllable like on the moog (continuous between waveforms).

There are all sorts of things in a typical modular that could be internalized which would make the Eigenharp perfect for thoes (like me) that don't want to spend on a modular and don;t have the room for it anyway

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:44:02 +0000 GMT

@LarryHeil the components are in EigenD but not exposed very well at the moment. You can see some of the keywords in belcanto.

@mike
I don't know, seems that software synths are really really well covered elsewhere. To emulate a modular it's not the complexity of the components but the flexibility and complexity of the routing. think Aalto is the best plugin I have seem emulate this and I'd probably go for something like that over anything we could come up with in EigenD direct.

written by: geert

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:17:08 +0000 GMT

@barnone, Aalto is nice indeed, but you still have to interface over MIDI with it. One of the advantages of the built-in EigenD components, and this will become very obvious with Workbench, is that all the independent key data streams are preserved through all the agents at full resolution and bandwidth (OSC, Filter, Modulation, ...). Additionally, you can very easily add AUs in the middle of the wiring, to for instance simulate analog circuitry or any audio effects. You can also wire anything to anything else, for instance going straight from the keyboard outputs into the filter inputs. I'm still pretty new to subtractive for any music work or useful sounds, but I recorded a quick video of what I came up with today, just using built-in EigenD agents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRiwAfxF8dw

It's also worth mentioning that this is quite complete in terms of implementation, the synth agents were one of the first sounds made by EigenD since they are directly bound to the data streams. I personally think it's extremely interesting to continue adding synth primitives as this could turns into a very rich and powerful collection.

written by: geert

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:19:46 +0000 GMT

@mike, Just to echo our Twitter conversation, waveform modulation on the oscillators is imho best done by writing an agent that takes any number of audio inputs and is able to modulate through them. This could become very powerful as you can again patch any kind of oscillator into such an agent, instead of being tied to a fixed selection of waveforms.

written by: mikemilton

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:24:11 +0000 GMT

Geert, I was unclear. Yes, there are lots of AUs about. It was the notion of having a number of internal primitives (nice term) and, in due course, a way to do the wiring with full benefit of being built-in... Basically the points you were making to BarNone.

Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:31:07 +0000 GMT

Nice demo. I think you made your point with that video. The resolution and low latency of the control is so important as we are finding out again and again.

Please log in to join the discussions