Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Scales and tunings

Most Recent

written by: jaself

Sorry if my comment sounded like a complaint. It wasn't intended as such. The number of scales already included in the basic setup is impressive and the 17-tone example in User Scales.txt shows that 1) any specific scale can be added very easily as needed and 2) the possibilities are immense.

I mentioned Just and Pythagorean scales because I encountered them as options in some of my other electronic instruments and remembered reading about them in the history of western musical scales on Wikipedia and elsewhere.

The configurability of the Eigenharps opens up some extraordinary possibilities to break free from unnecessary constraints in the ways that we conceptualize and physically connect to harmonic and melodic structure through our instruments. The thing that has me most intrigued right now is the idea that the ordering of notes in a scale doesn't have to be a strictly increasing sequence.

Here are two of the scales I have been playing with on Pico. They radically simplify and shrink many related chord shapes so they can be played with one or two fingers and with minimal hand and finger movement between chords.

NothanUmber posted Belcanto on G+ (copied below) to setup an equivalent for Tau or Alpha that is rotated 90 degrees and has no redundant notes on Tau.

[fifths-07, chromatic scale reordered in fifths]
;root of major scale in 2nd position (7) - lowest note (0) is 4th
;use course offsets of 8 semitones, (-7 for course 1)
; or basic Pico layouts 4x4 or 2x8
intervals= 0 7 2 9 4 11 6 13 8 15 10 17 12

[fifths-50, chromatic scale reordered in fifths]
;root (in 2nd position) is lowest note
;use with course offsets of 8 semitones
intervals= 5 0 7 2 9 4 11 6 13 8 15 10 17 12 19 14 21

kgroup 1 listen
scale to 4 semitone set
course 2 offset to -5 semitone set
course 3 offset to 7 semitone set
course 4 offset to -5 semitone set
couse 5 offset to 7 semitone set (last line for Alpha)

written by: Larryheil

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:04:33 +0100 BST

I see that one can set up intervals in a new scale and that these can be fractional , however my question is can scales have more than 12 (11) intervals between each octave ? For example could I have 16 notes between each octave ?

written by: NothanUmber

Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:00:33 +0100 BST

Sure, there is a 17-tone user scale example in "User Scales.txt" that comes with EigenD by default :)

Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:46:00 +0000 GMT

I am a little surprised to see no other scales listed that have fractional intervals, such as Just and Pythagorean, for instance. It's good to know that we can easily include them when we are ready to explore in those directions simply by making simple entries in the User Scales file.

written by: keyman

Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:23:13 +0000 GMT

Hi jaseslf

Can you post some of the scales you are exploring? (sometimes lazy to go deep into this area)

I'm sure many user will also appreciate this
Thanks in advanced!

Keyman

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:40:10 +0000 GMT

Hey, let me second that. One thing us non-programmers could do is to collect these up and add them to the EigenD base.

I'd be happy to do this if someone can point me to the right place to put them for this purpose. Is the file on GitHub somewhere?

written by: GoneCaving

Wed, 16 Nov 2011 18:30:00 +0000 GMT

Hey Mike,
It sure is on github

written by: john

Wed, 16 Nov 2011 18:38:19 +0000 GMT

Hi Jaself

The lack is only that we haven't got around to it. If there are any particular scales you'd like included in the Factory Setup's please write them out in the User Scales.txt format and send them to us and if they make sense we'll include them in the future...

John

Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:19:34 +0000 GMT

Sorry if my comment sounded like a complaint. It wasn't intended as such. The number of scales already included in the basic setup is impressive and the 17-tone example in User Scales.txt shows that 1) any specific scale can be added very easily as needed and 2) the possibilities are immense.

I mentioned Just and Pythagorean scales because I encountered them as options in some of my other electronic instruments and remembered reading about them in the history of western musical scales on Wikipedia and elsewhere.

The configurability of the Eigenharps opens up some extraordinary possibilities to break free from unnecessary constraints in the ways that we conceptualize and physically connect to harmonic and melodic structure through our instruments. The thing that has me most intrigued right now is the idea that the ordering of notes in a scale doesn't have to be a strictly increasing sequence.

Here are two of the scales I have been playing with on Pico. They radically simplify and shrink many related chord shapes so they can be played with one or two fingers and with minimal hand and finger movement between chords.

NothanUmber posted Belcanto on G+ (copied below) to setup an equivalent for Tau or Alpha that is rotated 90 degrees and has no redundant notes on Tau.

[fifths-07, chromatic scale reordered in fifths]
;root of major scale in 2nd position (7) - lowest note (0) is 4th
;use course offsets of 8 semitones, (-7 for course 1)
intervals= 0 7 2 9 4 11 6 13 8 15 10 17 12

[fifths-50, chromatic scale reordered in fifths]
;root (in 2nd position) is lowest note
;use with course offsets of 8 semitones
intervals= 5 0 7 2 9 4 11 6 13 8 15 10 17 12 19 14 21

kgroup 1 listen
scale to 4 semitone set
course 2 offset to -5 semitone set
course 3 offset to 7 semitone set
course 4 offset to -5 semitone set
couse 5 offset to 7 semitone set (last line for Alpha)

Please log in to join the discussions