Forum rss-feed

Forum

Tau: Eigenharp Tau for sale

Most Recent

written by: santazayka

hi! I the first time on the forum, but have been following Eigenhart. I am a professional bassoonist, also play piano, guitar and didgeridoo. I live in Thailand. May be someone knows people in Thailand who play eigenharp? I'd like to see this tool alive. Thank you

written by: focusaurus

Sat, 22 Oct 2011 23:22:48 +0100 BST

Like-new condition. Never left the room where it was originally unboxed. Includes all manuals, mouthpieces, cases, cables, everything. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just not playing it and I'd rather it be owned by someone who will make use of it. Email me if interested. pete@peterlyons.com

Cheers,

Pete

written by: carvingCode

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 01:28:57 +0000 GMT

The Tau has been sold.

written by: Larryheil

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:00:12 +0000 GMT

Did you buy it, carving Code, ? I wonder if the limited support and documentation caused this sale ? Despite spending many hours each week doing research and learning for my Alpha and asking tons of questions and attending 95% of the weekly clubhouse, I still often feel that the Eigenharp is only for a small elitist group of advanced programmer types. At least twice a month I consider selling my Alpha. Also many days a week the Alpha just sits in a corner unused because I get so discouraged by the lack of progress and ease of use issues.

written by: mikemilton

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:46:38 +0000 GMT

I think there is another (alpha) about to come up for sale (not mine).

You said: "the Eigenharp is only for a small elitist group of advanced programmer types"

It is true that the instruments attract this musical interest group, and that they are vocal with their excitement, explorations and demands. However, They are not the only interest group even if they do skew perceptions.

Indeed, I think Eigenlabs has done a good job of welcoming and supporting the technical crowd without being diverted into that niche (no matter how large, it is still a fragment of the addressable market). Hopefully both aspects of this observation will continue.

I personally find it a bit disconcerting that some of the technical crowd seem oblivious to the notion that there are other musical contexts for the instrument and that these need support too. Fortunately, these voices are few.

Larry, like you, I have several instruments I play and my Alpha gets a bit lonely at times but I do find myself coming back to it and would disagree that there are ease of use issues with playing it. Seriously, simply selecting a sound (or a few), a scale, and playing has been something I find easier than just about any other instrument I've ever picked up. (Being good at it is another issue hehehe)

What is frustrating (unless it is your interest to tinker) is the customization of setups. For me, the MIDI improvements have greatly reduced that issue but that does take me outside of eigenD and I hope that the workbench will let me to do more things natively.

written by: NothanUmber

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:38:19 +0000 GMT

Hm, if you you don't want to spend your time diving into the (admittedly in many ways intimidating) configuration options of the Eigenharp - why not stay with the default setup, perhaps load an additional soft synth or two into it and start playing?
And if somebody from the group of people who have fun with all the technical stuff come up with an alternative setup you can try this out. If it is interesting for some applications that you want you can use it, otherwise you can stick with the default setup.

For me personally if I were only interested in the musical part I admittedly would have required help for one single but crucial thing - I MUCH prefer the horizontal layout to the standard one as it opens a whole library of books of new possibilities that I wouldn't want to miss. So somebody would have to have told me the five lines of Belcanto to enable this if I wouldn't have spent the time to find those out by myself.
Being in that state I musically have everything I need - "nice to haves" aside. All "tinkering" above this point is just because it's fun by itself for me - and that's just a personal thing, definitely would never "expect" that from others, I fully understand if others see that just as a diversion from making music (what also strikes my mind at times...). But fortunately as said imho it is not necessary to have fun with the Eigenharp if you concentrate on what's there instead of what might be possible.

written by: geert

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:03:13 +0000 GMT

@Larry, I understand that it's very easy to fall into the abyss of endless tweaking and configuration, however as @NothanNumber says, you don't have to dive into this. It's taken me more than a year actually before I starting heavily customizing my setups, even after I joined Eigenlabs I purposely didn't want to stray much from the factory setups so that I would actually learn to make music with it and learn it as an instrument within a clearly constrained canvas.

Indeed, I found that with any creative process the removal of limits is to the detriment of creativity. I think that you should have two very distinct modes of exploring the instrument, one where you force yourself not to change anything about your setups apart from the occasional expression mapping or sound. and another mode for deeper exploration. If you start mixing both up, you'll never get anything done, but that's the case for anything really. For instance when learning how to mix audio, a common advice is to never ever try out a new plugin while you're in a mixing session, only use what you know and leave the exploration for later, otherwise you just kill the flow entirely.

This is also the reason while most of the time I return to piano and strings when playing the instrument. I'm in the process of designing some new polyphonic synth sounds, but I touch those only when I know that I won't be playing more than a few bars of music.

written by: NothanUmber

Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:26:46 +0000 GMT

Yes, the sound is an integral part of the instrument that we have to learn to use to make it sing, wisper or scream, changing that is like changing to another instrument. So I also use only one sound when practicing (from the ACE synth plugin).
Presumably that's the biggest "challenge" that everybody has to master - finding "the" personal sound. (Having a really good "signature sound" in the standard setup would help a lot, also from a pedagogical point of view, so people could learn from each other. But what should that be? "My" sound comes close for me, can't say whether "this is it" for others though...)

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:32:47 +0000 GMT

Yes, I bought Pete's Tau. And yes, from reading his blog it looks as though he sold it due to not making the progress he felt he should. He was an early adopter, suffered software issues and found lack of documentation to be a huge problem, not unlike many others.

I've been sharply critical about lack of documentation and still feel this is a major problem for the platform. But I've received great support from Geert throughout and a few others here recently, and with improvements with MIDI out and stability of the Windows software, I decided to double down on my investment. For me, purchasing a second hand instrument was the best option to move up to one that would offer me a more complete Eigenharp experience.

To Larry, I agree with Geert and Ferdinand that sticking with Factory and/or single patches to practice is key. The other thing I've started to do recently is sit down with a goal. The goal may be to fiddle around and experiment, or it may be to learn a passage in a piece, or it may be to explore a feature of the instrument. This has focused my time and my progress with the instrument has improved steadily.

One additional comment: stay true to your own musical interests. The instrument, coupled with appropriate patches can be used for virtually any musical style. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Randy

written by: barnone

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 04:11:26 +0000 GMT

Uh oh, technical crowd backlash ;)

I will say that I think the best improvements to the eigen-universe have been the little breakthroughs in how to learn the instrument.

Eigentab is a huge force here. If you don't use it, you should.
The indicator lights for scales are really important as well.

It's just as hard to learn to play a new instrument if you are technical or not. I think it's a really good idea to have a basic setup you use for practicing and resist the urge to constantly tinker when practicing.

I've been trying to be focused now on proper practice and this is getting me over that hump. I think like any instrument, there are times you feel like you are up against a wall and sometimes you need something to get you past a sticky point and progress.

It's definitely worth it, personally I'm connecting to this instrument lately like no other and I know that practice is the path forward.

written by: dhjdhj

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:12:57 +0000 GMT

I have another alternative to suggest. I too have had a lot of difficulty trying to understand how to use the Eigenharp software and ultimately gave up, leaving my Alpha sitting in a corner for almost a year. However, some of the developers finally created an OSC agent through which it is possible to send raw data to MaxMSP and do all the processing there instead of through EigenD.

Since I already have a significant library of MaxMSP objects to manage my keyboard environment, I have started to implement control of the Eigenharp through Max. At this point I have a basic environment working and have created a few simple (and simple to understand) patchers that are letting me actually play the Alpha the way I want.

I've started writing about how it works on my blog and my library of objects can be downloaded as well. Note that this library is free and I'm not providing any kind of official support for it. I would however be interested in collaborating with people who find this approach to be of interest.

The only real downside is that anyone who wants to experiment with this approach will need to buy a copy of Max.

Enjoy.

written by: keyman

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 05:24:10 +0000 GMT

Was holding some thoughts, getting a bit off topic by now...

The Alpha (have to add the pico and the tau) are electronic instrument, meant to be played, a "tool" for creative musical ideas.
More then simple practice, creating a bound, an aura with them as bin my thing since day one!. Easier to say then to do and recommend, regarding there is so much to discover to "fuel this engine" either new plug-ins or analog sound sources or being expressive with old SF, or even some tricks that don't produce sound at all.

But, as @geert and @barnone mention, a simple setup with some simple sounds we really connect from our hearts, be it a piano on a rainy day or an accordion on a sunny day, methodically they will have to be the driving force to a certain musical goal. Programming/fine tunning, adding FX have to come afterwards and complete the circle of a wonderful Eigenharp experience.

written by: barnone

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 06:01:18 +0000 GMT

Yes @keyman. I totally agree. Spend time on your practice setup to create some sounds that inspire you and put you in that warm fuzzy place.

The one thing I just started to do is to actually try to learn some material that has been inspirational to me and that I know well. Having it come to life on the eigenharp is really helping me connect again.

There's probably a thousand tips like this to keep moving yourself forward. We probably need a dedicated thread for this. It's an important topic.

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:48:05 +0000 GMT

Suggestion to forum mod: Copy the posts about practicing and learning to another thread titled, "Tips for learning your Eigenharp". They could help new players and possibly jump start some who've had the instrument awhile.

Randy

written by: mikemilton

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:22:54 +0000 GMT

@carvingcode... Actually, it would make a good WIKI section.

It should start with your comment about staying true to your musical interests - a great point

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:54:41 +0000 GMT

I don't have edit access to the wiki. I do to the homepage and the Instruments section, but not beyond that.

written by: john

Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:44:24 +0000 GMT

Ah, that sounds like we might have a bug in our website code. We had to change the Wiki to be a bit more selective, disabling access to a couple of sections for most users a few months ago, and its probable that this is set too wide for some reason. I'll look into it and come back to you.

The reason we had to make several bits restricted is that the application tooltips and online documentation (which is growing steadily) are now pulled straight out of the Wiki at build time - there's a bit of supporting markup and an idiom that needs to be followed religiously for that to work and errors break the distribution (usually silently unfortunately). For that reason we decided that the 'EigenD Reference' and a couple of other sections ought to be 'staff write only' for now, but this should only be for those bits. It's a nice way to keep the application documentation consistent and edited in one place but it was quite awkward to implement so we've probably just messed something up.

Apologies for the inconvenience - I'll get back to you later in the week once we've had a chance to take a look.

John

written by: santazayka

Sat, 23 Nov 2013 10:55:19 +0000 GMT

hi! I the first time on the forum, but have been following Eigenhart. I am a professional bassoonist, also play piano, guitar and didgeridoo. I live in Thailand. May be someone knows people in Thailand who play eigenharp? I'd like to see this tool alive. Thank you

Please log in to join the discussions