Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Pico MIDI only setup

Most Recent

written by: geert

Hi Paugui,

I understand what you want to do, the problem here is that there a large number of ways to handle this, most probably dependent on the preference of the player, the instrument, playing style, etc. You could want to simply add data on several data stream and as soon as the maximum is reached, keep it there, you could want to average, you could want them to be mutually exclusive based on different approaches (first started, last ongoing, ...), you could have a deriviate value of one (velocity for pressure for instance) be a constant baseline for the other data streams, ... and so on.

While we haven't discussed this particular feature record amongst us yet (I'm back from vacation tomorrow), I personally think the place for such a feature is not in the MIDI routing matrix. EigenD allows access to the data streams in between agents, and I think it's probably going to be better to have a series of small agents that treat the data of several signals and combine that into one. This would then be connected to the routing matrix and converted to MIDI CC.

Writing such agents should be totally possible as an open-source effort, so maybe someone at the developer conference will pick it up as a project and it could become a new feature soon.

Take care,

Geert

Sun, 9 Oct 2011 00:31:23 +0100 BST

Hi everyone,

We've created a new bare-bones setup for the Eigenharp Pico that ties all the playing keys directly to a MIDI output. This setup loads very quickly and takes up very little memory. This setup will come in handy of you're simply using EigenD to interact with other MIDI software.

The setup can be downloaded from the wiki page below, where you can also find additional information about the exact functionalities:
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.3/Pico_MIDI/

The scripts that build this setup from scratch, together with some explanations can be found here:
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.3/Pico_MIDI_From_Scratch/

Enjoy!

Geert

written by: johnrobinson

Sun, 9 Oct 2011 18:57:24 +0100 BST

Hi
This looks like exactly what I need but when I load it how do I set which of my 3 midi ports my Pico uses? If I open Eigenbrowser there are midi outputs under the Factory Scripts but no controls to select which port..

Thanks in advance for any advise ..

John

Sun, 9 Oct 2011 19:26:45 +0100 BST

Hi John,

Good point, thanks for bringing it up, I forgot to add a talker and a control for that. In the meantime you can simply type the following in the EigenCommander when the EigenBrowser is open:

eigenbrowser , midi output 1 hey midi port browse

Take care,

Geert

Sun, 9 Oct 2011 19:47:30 +0100 BST

Hi again John,

I updated the setup, you'll now find a knob in the Stage tab that allows you to browse for the MIDI port.

Download it from here:
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.3/Pico_MIDI/

Hope this helps,

Geert

Sun, 9 Oct 2011 21:37:34 +0100 BST

Thats got to be the fastest support ever...

Many thnaks, its now working perfectly

Regards

John

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:28:16 +0100 BST

Hi

Could you explain what the midi poly settings do as They seem to be sending midi on arbitrary channels from my Pico.

Thanks

John

written by: bl4cksun

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:31:56 +0100 BST

That's what it's for...by setting the same instrument/sample/sound on multiple channels on a multiple timberal synth, you can do things like pitch bend each individual notes by different amounts, or otherwise affect each note differently.

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:33:47 +0100 BST

Hi John, that's exactly what they do :-)

More details in the 'More about 'poly' mode' section here:
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.3/Routing_Matrix/

Take care,

Geert

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:05:28 +0100 BST

Thanks for that, I'd completely missed that section

Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:31:01 +0100 BST

Is it possible to add a scale browse button to this setup so I can access all the scales?

Regards

John

written by: keyman

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 01:41:09 +0100 BST

Hi, John
(I'm always thru the night...)

Came up with two ways to do it...

... thru Belcanto simply type the following in the EigenCommander when the EigenBrowser is open:

empty join
eigenbrowser hey
scale manager scale browse

.. and EigenTab awesome little "helper application for keys, scales and chords" from jsn

keyman

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:12:44 +0100 BST

Thanks for that.

What I dont get is how to get a button in stage to browse the scales in EigenBrowser . The wiki has left me thoroughly confused......

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:34:40 +0100 BST

Hi John,

I'll have a look at it but it is actually much more complicated that just adding a browse button. What needs to happen is that the talkers that are set up to change the scales, need to be replaced by new ones when the selection for the scale in the EigenBrowser is done. The Belcanto for that is far from trivial and is being phased out for v2.0 of EigenD. It will also make the setup larger and might cause an increase in loading times, which is what I want to avoid for these setups.

I'll try to look at it this weekend anyway though.

Take care,

Geert

Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:47:59 +0100 BST

Hi

I was planning to do my own version of the pico midi only with just a browse scales button and to do away with the 8 scale buttons in stage but its beyond me.

Thanks for looking at it ...

Regards

John

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:40:27 +0100 BST

Hi John,

I looked at it and it's really complex and not something that we want to advocate using. The mechanism by which this is currently done is deprecated and is being replaced in 2.0 by an alternative that is a lot nicer. In the meantime I suggest that you use the scripts I posted and changed the eight scales by those that you want to use, building a new setup that suits you like that.

Take care,

Geert

written by: keyman

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 15:34:45 +0100 BST

Hi, John...
From my user point of view, I agree with Geert.
Don't forget the Factory setups
Standard PICO setup, just select MAin Mode key+key 8 (MIDI OUT).
If you like to import my STAGE tab for MIDI - keyman PICO MIDI and screen shot call it a bonus ( I did promise this tab some time ago... )

Could not add it to the WIKI.... something changed over EigenD Setups - Player_created_tabs

enjoy
keyman

P.S- there's also the other setup with 4AU's and 4 MIDI OUT

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 16:52:21 +0100 BST

Hi

Thanks to both of you for looking into it.
I'll have a play with scripts over the next few days and see how I get on.

Thanks again

John

Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:16:24 +0100 BST

Hi John,

Just thought of something, another way of selecting which scale you want is by simply using the EigenCommander and typing the following Belcanto in:

scaler 1 hey scale to chromatic set

Take care,

Geert

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:08:36 +0100 BST

I've loaded this several times, but can't yet figure out what I'm to do with it. Even opened MIDIOx to see what was going on, but didn't see any messages being sent.

Would appreciate a rundown on how to use this.

Thanks.

written by: bl4cksun

Mon, 24 Oct 2011 19:22:51 +0100 BST

In eigend, you need to make sure you are using the right midi device

Please log in to join the discussions