Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Advice on windows user planning to get an Alpha

Most Recent

written by: barnone

I feel very lucky to own one.

written by: paolofanin

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 08:42:22 +0100 BST

I plan gettin an Alpha in the next months (I am saving for it so it will take SOME months lol) but I am using Windows 7 and I do not plan to buy a Mac soon...
I need your advice here: do you think that I can still go on saving money for an Alpha or I should forget about it?

written by: NothanUmber

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 12:41:44 +0100 BST

Hi,
using a Tau and a Pico with both Windows 7 and Mac OS I'd say the OS shouldn't be the decisive factor anymore (I don't use the headset support and there is no mic-support for Tau though, so I can't speak about those features).

Have a look at the Alpha quickstart tutorial and see whether you like the current standard setup. If yes then the system you want is already available. Otherwise perhaps it's worth to wait for the Workbench.

Do you additionally plan to buy a Pico? If yes perhaps that's a good start to experiment with the "ecosystem" as the software is essentially the same. (Pico could become even more interesting as a "serious" instrument for monophonic lines as soon as EigenD 2 with the "fingerer" agent is released - which should be available at no extra cost with access to new versions for a year if you buy a Pico now as far as I understood. Currently the Pico is nice but limited to pieces where the small tonal range is no problem.)

Greetings,
NothanUmber

P.S.: The Tau is also very nice, especially if used with alternative layouts (e.g. 5 octaves with a horizontal layout - completely sufficient for many synth patches)

written by: geert

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 13:42:48 +0100 BST

Quick addition to this, EigenD 1.4 supports both the headphone on the Tau and the headphone and the microphone of the Alpha on Windows. It works very well and wraps up Windows support for all Eigenharp features.

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 13:44:37 +0100 BST

Thanks. Shall i need to buy a separate audio interface for my pc or can I start with the Asio4all?

written by: geert

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 13:59:27 +0100 BST

That's difficult to recommend about as there's so much variations in audio drivers and audio cards. External audio interfaces are generally better quality, so I would personally buy one (which is what I did) but a lot of people are happy with their built-in sound cards. If you're unsure, you can always buy it after purchasing the instrument if you feel you need something better.

written by: NothanUmber

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 14:04:08 +0100 BST

Asio4all works with my onboard card and offers much better latency values than DirectSound (because it works with the kernel streaming drivers which are not natively supported by EigenD yet). But although not strictly necessary a dedicated audio card might be a good idea for even better latency, routing capabilities and better sound quality - especially if you already invest into an Alpha/Tau that might make sense.
E.g. the RME Babyface is nice as it can also be used with a Notebook.

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 14:09:16 +0100 BST

precisely what am I losing if I choose the Tau over the Alpha?

written by: john

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 14:10:59 +0100 BST

Just to add to this I should probably say that we only have a few Alpha's left from the current build - there's been a bit of a run on them in the last two months that caught us unawares. In fact I'm not sure we have any standard ones left - we have some specials listed though - please email us if you would like Neil to contact you to discuss options.

We are just starting the process of making a new batch of Alpha's but as you can see from the current shipping date (well into next year) this is a lengthy process. There are sometimes secondhand Alpha's available; Tenebrous has one for sale at the moment, though I think that might be sold and we may have a couple of ex demo, refurbished Alpha's available shortly.

Also I'd like to add to NothanUmber's comment, the Tau is a very nice instrument, does nearly everything the Alpha does, is less than half the price and we have them in stock for immediate delivery. You might want to take a look at one - particularly now they have a 'cello spike available (in our accessories section) - they are as flexible as the Alpha and look pretty good when played on stage.

John

written by: Tenebrous

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 20:29:33 +0100 BST

Hi all,

Just to say my Alpha is still available. There's a couple of things that would incur a slight extra cost on mine (but still cheaper than new), which is a new 1-year warranty and the cost for servicing it for a new owner, but we can discuss that I'm sure.

John - the other option of course is if Eigenlabs would be willing to take mine in and 'refurbish' it, and sell it onwards as used?

Anyway, I do have one other party interested at the moment but I'm not sure how likely they are to purchase.

Thanks for the interest,
Tene

written by: prstorms

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 02:02:54 +0100 BST

John,

Congrats on selling out of your alphas. Glad to see the instrument is catching on!

Pat

written by: barnone

Wed, 12 Oct 2011 06:24:50 +0100 BST

I feel very lucky to own one.

Please log in to join the discussions