Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Trilian 101

Most Recent

written by: prstorms

Thanks Geert... got it working. Not quite sure what I did, though...

Pat

Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:15:47 +0100 BST

My copy of Trilian just came in, I've got it all installed on my Mac and I'm ready to fire it up via my Alpha... now what? I tried calling it up as AU 3, but I got a brief scratchy noise then nothing. I know there are some dedicated Trilian users out there... can someone please give me a simpleton's course in getting Trilian to work with the Alpha?

Many thanks,
Pat

written by: 0beron

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:33:24 +0100 BST

When Trilian makes scratchy noises, it usually means it's having trouble loading all its samples. Once you've selected a preset, it takes a little while for trilian to load it up (shown by a little progress bar in the top right of the Trilian interface). After that it will still dynamically load samples off disk on demand (some of the instruments are gigantic so it doesn't plonk all of them in memory at once).
You can try reducing the detail (number of round robin samples etc) to bring down the number of samples it has to load in the settings somewhere, would have to have the manual to hand to say exactly where.

written by: john

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:52:40 +0100 BST

Hi Pat

Trillian uses a LOT of resources, both memory and CPU - it's one of the reasons it sounds so good. You will need at least 4G of memory to run it Ok with eigenD, and I'd suggest more if you can. What kind of CPU and memory are you running it on?

John

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 23:36:48 +0100 BST

Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

Thanks,
Pat

written by: geert

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:00:11 +0100 BST

Pat, have you tried all the notes on the keyboard? There might be a series of keyswitches on lower or higher octaves that actually are intended to make scratchy noises :-)

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 01:52:57 +0100 BST

After the initial scratchy noise I get nothing upon pressing other keys, up or down the keyboard. This "no note key" business is an issue with the Gofriller, as hitting keys below the low C does initiate changes to the note attack without making a sound.

Thanks,
Pat

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:32:00 +0100 BST

Pat, I'm at this stage wondering if Trilian installed correctly. Do you have GarageBand or other MIDI sequencer where you can try to see if Tilian works when used there? Other thought, did you get the latest updates from Spectrasonics for Trilian?

Take care,

Geert

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 23:24:03 +0100 BST

I'll try to fire Trilian up via GarageBand and a keyboard, and will let you know how it works out.

Thanks,
Pat

Fri, 30 Sep 2011 07:17:14 +0100 BST

You don't even need a keyboard, just use the virtual keyboard integrated into GarageBand (CMD-Shift-K). This makes it very easy to double check with other software.

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 06:20:27 +0100 BST

Thanks Geert... got it working. Not quite sure what I did, though...

Pat

Please log in to join the discussions