Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Making cool light effects on Pico

Most Recent

written by: jaself

Antonio,
Yes, thanks. The tip you gave me stopped the belcanto interpretation of incoming MIDI notes while playing PICO with MIDI Illuminator. Now I have lights on my PICO pretty much as requested at the beginning of this thread
[[belcanto: empty join
midi input talker hey all phrase cancel]]

written by: ken@adler.net

Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:58:58 +0100 BST

So... this is a bit silly... but...

Wondering if anyone has any commands that make the lights on the Pico look cool when performing on stage...

What I mean is something like having them light up when you push a key.

This is totally just for looks... not for any kind of functionality.

I am performing one song with a band next week. I already have a custom set up stored with the right soundfont and key, etc. I will not be switching modes while doing the performance.

Just thought it might be fun to make it look a bit more wiz-bang with some lighting effects.

written by: keyman

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:33:29 +0100 BST

Hi...

Having the keys light up when you play... the ALPHA and TAU can do it. (I'm sure there must be a reason why it's not implemented on the PICO)

Besides new programming; I have gone all the way back to my first contact with the PICO, and remember pressing lots of keys ( some by mistake) and if you choose a sound and at the same time press the KEY CONTROL key, you'll end up with a lit red PICO ( showing the tonics) and you're able to play whatever sounds you like (sampler 1 or AU1 or clarinet etc...)

You've asked for something silly....

Keyman

written by: mikemilton

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:50:33 +0100 BST

Somewhere in the depths of time I recall mention that, as all the function of the pico is on the computer (not having a base station) this would be problematic. I think this was either because of USB bandwidth limitations, signal flow issues, or driver capacity.

cheers, m

written by: GoneCaving

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:02:50 +0100 BST

See http://www.eigenlabs.com/forum/threads/post/1376/
where Geert answers this.

Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:32:10 +0000 GMT

I just tried Antonio's trick above of getting lights on Pico, or something like it. Selecting Piano together with Key Mode or Scale Mode (I didn't try others yet) allows you to play Piano with lights from one of those modes. It has the interesting side effect of triggering key or scale changes etc while playing Piano. That suggests some interesting possibilities for increasing the playing range of Pico without removing fingers from playing keys.

Belcanto messages from these keys show in EigenCommander.

Some of the blocks of code, such as the ones for browsing scales, are much larger and harder to read than any examples I have seen before associated with talkers and they contain some Belcanto words, such as "variable" and "called' that I have not seen documented before. Could someone translate one of those blocks into English or perhaps a diagram? Is the structure and function of "do" blocks and nesting of quotes documented somewhere?

written by: keyman

Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:24:39 +0000 GMT

@jasef
I also mention this In the last night G+ hangout, and something similar happens with the midi input talker+@NothanUmber midiiluminator.

One can load the same scale to every slot, and this way get the lights.
or be "very creative" and arrange some wild config scales or tonics and play at the same time.

"variable" and "called'...
It's sure is a bag of tricks there... an old one maybe;
workbench uhhhh uhh. (i'm whispering here..); -)

keyman

Fri, 16 Dec 2011 04:34:44 +0000 GMT

Antonio,
Yes, thanks. The tip you gave me stopped the belcanto interpretation of incoming MIDI notes while playing PICO with MIDI Illuminator. Now I have lights on my PICO pretty much as requested at the beginning of this thread
[[belcanto: empty join
midi input talker hey all phrase cancel]]

Please log in to join the discussions