Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Syncing the Alpha to MTC

Most Recent

written by: keyman

Hi Kayla...

I tried to reply yesterday; strange but could not post here...

Ideas; I did this MIDI clock STAGE tab, you can import and see/click for MIDI related settings

This is my G+ for chat/video.

keyman

written by: KaylaK

Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:39:07 +0100 BST

Hi guys,

We're experimenting with live setups, and wondered if anyone had any idea if it's possible to sync the Alpha to MTC from sequencing software?

Many thanks,

Kayla

written by: john

Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:57:53 +0100 BST

Hi Kayla

The EigenD Metronome will slave to MIDI clock (ie, the beat clock), but not MIDI Timecode (which is an absolute time code, not measured in beats).

The Metronome MIDI input and control for this is documented here:

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/1.3/Metronome/

Let us know how you get on..

John

Mon, 1 Aug 2011 18:01:02 +0100 BST

Hi, Kayla

My experience with MTC and MIDI CLOCK...
Only a few DAW's can generate MTC;
opposed to MIDI CLOCK witch, as John said the EigenD can sync as a slave.

Mode key+key 5 (MIDI OUT 1)
After the MIDI channel select there is keys for:
- Browsing MIDI OUTPUT port
- Browsing MIDI INPUT port
- (in RED) MIDI CLOCK SYNC - Green is active and syncs
- MIDI CLOCK LATENCY (nudger)

To finalize, I use DP (DIgital Performer) that generates SMPTE/MTC to sync background music and lights (moving heads) for the shows I run.

keyman

Wed, 3 Aug 2011 22:44:30 +0100 BST

Thanks very much guys - we're experimenting with creating a show controlled by Pro Tools (my other half is an Avid instructor and we're working on a Uni tour), hence the question!

We'll have a go with the suggestions made and let you know - thanks for your help :)

K x

Tue, 1 Nov 2011 12:25:14 +0000 GMT

Hi again,

Just a quick update - we've been trying without success to have the Alpha slave to MIDI clock through various hardware and software, and I'm wondering could it be a PC issue? I've carefully followed the button presses required to get to the point where you have the Midi Point Sync red key - which never goes green no matter how many times I press it :) I'm conscious of the fact that I am a relatively new Alpha player, and that this is most likely user error, so I would be grateful if anyone could suggest something I could try as it's not really a bug report I guess?

We're trying to get "Take me home" off the Alpha to record into Pro Tools for the next album, so we are a bit time pressured - if there's anything you guys could point me to that would be fantastic.

Many thanks!

Kayla

written by: john

Wed, 2 Nov 2011 17:20:54 +0000 GMT

Hi Kayla

We don't have any reported problems with slaving to MIDI song clock. Could you just check to make sure that it is MIDI song clock and not MIDI Timecode (MTC) that you are sending? EigenD will not slave to MTC, it needs the beat and bar clock.

John

Thu, 3 Nov 2011 03:26:06 +0000 GMT

Hi Kayla...

I tried to reply yesterday; strange but could not post here...

Ideas; I did this MIDI clock STAGE tab, you can import and see/click for MIDI related settings

This is my G+ for chat/video.

keyman

Please log in to join the discussions